• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

in the market for a dodge ram 3500

corey4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2012
pittsburgh pa
i am in the market for a 1 ton pick up. i have my eye on the dodge ram, since i sat in a business acquaintances' 2500 2 years ago. (i had to move it around the block so i could maneuver my equipment around) i have traditionally been a ford guy, but i just do not like the new fords. i have a '10 F450 dump, and i hate the small interior of the thing. from what the dealer said, the interior is the same set-up at my 450. every GMC dealer i go to, i get the run round, plus when i sit in them, they feel cramped more like a car.

i currently have as my daily driver an '03 F350 with 145K miles, and it just needs too much work for me to keep, especially for how much i drive. i don't want to nickle and dime the 350 like my '01 F550. for a $10K truck, i have $30K into it with purchase price and fixing it.

for those of you that have the ram 3500, or know someone how does, how are they? looking at the 4 full size doors, 6'-4" bed, SRW, 5.7L gas-jobber. i want a dually, but i really do not have the need for one. i will be pulling 6000lb equipment a few days a week for my tree service, and hauling the occasional load of wood at the same time.

i also drive ALOT. last year alone, over 22k miles. i mhave only had the 350 for 3 years, and put over 50K miles on it. i would also need to keep this truck for at least 10 years. how well are they holding up?

For the miles you drive it sounds to me like you need the diesel. You are saying you will put 220,000 miles on this truck in the next ten years, with some towing and wood in the bed at the same time.

For me personally, I would never even consider a pickup without a full length bed. Its like building a house with a 6' crawlspace - you'll always regret not adding the 2 feet and having a basement. I also wont even consider a GM product after the screw job they gave the American taxpayer.

Ford lost its way when the EPA forced them to retire the best engine they ever had, the 7.3l. If they could have continued to build on that powertrain we would have been spared the 6.0 and 6.4 fiasco, time will tell on the 6.7 I guess. The last ten years of Ford light trucks are awesome when they work but seem to be maintenance nightmares. Unless you want to take the risk of buying one of their older trucks as much as I hate to say it you are probably right going with dodge.

KY is right on with the diesel. I think they use the Cummins which if a proven performer.

If your going with a one ton/dually why not a flat bed. You can haul a lot more and even ad a dump kit if you ever need it. Cost about the same, you dont need a duraliner and wont worry about dinging up the bed or rear fenders

I've had an '05 3500 Ram now for 8 years now. It's been a great truck with no mechanical issues. The only reason I wanted the Dodge was because of the 5.9LCummins reliability. The interior is very small and the trim is cheap and starting to fall apart, also the steering setup eats front tires and has a tendency to "death wobble". My truck started life as a DRW and I converted it to a SRW. The ride is extremely rough on all of the 3500's due to the extra springs in the rear spring pack. If I had to do it over I would have bought an older 7.3L Superduty. If you're looking for a gasser, I would not recommend a Dodge at all. The Triton V-10 gets as good of mileage, makes way more power and will last an eternity with proper maintenance.

i will be pulling 6000lb equipment a few days a week for my tree service, and hauling the occasional load of wood at the same time.

Buying a 3500 ANYTHING is WAY over kill for what you are going to be doing. Especially with going with a puny 5.7' gasser. You are talking about buying a truck that, if optioned correctly, could tow 30k lbs.

If you like the ram I would be looking at the 1500 with maybe the new small diesel. Or a 2500 gasser, but a 3500 IMO is WAY more truck than you will ever need and all you will be doing is getting shitty gas mileage while you haul around 5x the truck you really need.

It's not overkill. I don't know why 2500/250 trucks are even made because they are basically the same truck as a one ton with less legal load capacity which is important for the op since he is running a commercial business operation on his truck. The only thing you give up is a stiffer ride on the one ton, curb weight will be near identical. Wood is heavy - a load of wood plus his 6k trailer and he could easily be putting 3k on the back of that truck or more, especially if his trailer is a gooseneck. Half ton trucks are for suburbanites who don't work their trucks more than the occasional trip to Home Depot to buy a new gas grill for the backyard. No half ton will last 220000 miles doing what he is doing.

Hey OP if you can find an old body style F350/7.3l in good shape you'd be set and look good too! They are hard to find in decent shape these days though.

I have had 4 or5 Dodge diesel trucks. I burned up a 36,000 mile warranty in les than 1 year pulling trailers cross country. No problems with any of them. Most of the ranchers around here, and people that use their trucks as trucks, drive Dodges. Ford is a close number 2. Whatever you diesel you get, install a 2 Micron fuel filter setup. It will save you in the long run!!

I don't think they make a 6k trailer in a goose neck. If they did I could not see why. 3/4 ton truck is more than enough for what he has listed. My work trucks are crew cab Duramax's and could not be happier with the reliability they have given me. And they have a 18k trailers hooked to them everyday.
I always buy diesel because they are always towing something. For the weight you are talking about a gas truck will be fine, but I have been told the new dodge diesel get good fuel mileage.

For the miles you drive it sounds to me like you need the diesel. You are saying you will put 220,000 miles on this truck in the next ten years, with some towing and wood in the bed at the same time.

For me personally, I would never even consider a pickup without a full length bed. Its like building a house with a 6' crawlspace - you'll always regret not adding the 2 feet and having a basement. I also wont even consider a GM product after the screw job they gave the American taxpayer.

Ford lost its way when the EPA forced them to retire the best engine they ever had, the 7.3l. If they could have continued to build on that powertrain we would have been spared the 6.0 and 6.4 fiasco, time will tell on the 6.7 I guess. The last ten years of Ford light trucks are awesome when they work but seem to be maintenance nightmares. Unless you want to take the risk of buying one of their older trucks as much as I hate to say it you are probably right going with dodge.

i have always had the 6-6.5' beds. i see what you are saying, but i have learned to live with. the only time regret having the short bed is when i haul my bike.

i am kind of leery with the new diesel motors that are being put out. they are all new and have no track record. the turbo blew on 450 after 16K miles.

KY is right on with the diesel. I think they use the Cummins which if a proven performer.

If your going with a one ton/dually why not a flat bed. You can haul a lot more and even ad a dump kit if you ever need it. Cost about the same, you dont need a duraliner and wont worry about dinging up the bed or rear fenders

i already have 2 dumps. a F450 and a F550. the heavy hauling goes to those 2.

I've had an '05 3500 Ram now for 8 years now. It's been a great truck with no mechanical issues. The only reason I wanted the Dodge was because of the 5.9LCummins reliability. The interior is very small and the trim is cheap and starting to fall apart, also the steering setup eats front tires and has a tendency to "death wobble". My truck started life as a DRW and I converted it to a SRW. The ride is extremely rough on all of the 3500's due to the extra springs in the rear spring pack. If I had to do it over I would have bought an older 7.3L Superduty. If you're looking for a gasser, I would not recommend a Dodge at all. The Triton V-10 gets as good of mileage, makes way more power and will last an eternity with proper maintenance.

i had a 5.9 cummins i bought off my brother in law. it only had 80K miles when i bought it. i think it was a '01??? it was a 2500. that truck was a truck. we put 3000lbs of sidewalk slabs in the back of that thing and the truck didn't miss a beat. i couldn't do that with my current f350. i tried! i got ride of it because it was starting to be a money pit. i only had it for a few months. the whole front end needed rebuilt when i bought it, the exhaust feel off a few weeks after i had it. then i would be driving down the road, and the motor would just randomly surge. and a few times i turned the truck off, had the keys in my hand, and the truck was still running, only at ~250rpm. tried taking it to a few places and no one had a clue. so it went bye-bye.

Buying a 3500 ANYTHING is WAY over kill for what you are going to be doing. Especially with going with a puny 5.7' gasser. You are talking about buying a truck that, if optioned correctly, could tow 30k lbs.

If you like the ram I would be looking at the 1500 with maybe the new small diesel. Or a 2500 gasser, but a 3500 IMO is WAY more truck than you will ever need and all you will be doing is getting shitty gas mileage while you haul around 5x the truck you really need.

a few years ago when i started my company, i had an f150, 5 speed stick, 4.6L. let's just say the truck wasn't happy about the machine on the back. the motor was fine, only because it was a stick. had it been a 4.6 auto, i think it would have feel on it's face. a buddy that works for me has an '09 f150 with the 5.4. his truck wasn't happy either when he borrowed my machine for a small side job. 1/2 tons are too small for what i need.

It's not overkill. I don't know why 2500/250 trucks are even made because they are basically the same truck as a one ton with less legal load capacity which is important for the op since he is running a commercial business operation on his truck. The only thing you give up is a stiffer ride on the one ton, curb weight will be near identical. Wood is heavy - a load of wood plus his 6k trailer and he could easily be putting 3k on the back of that truck or more, especially if his trailer is a gooseneck. Half ton trucks are for suburbanites who don't work their trucks more than the occasional trip to Home Depot to buy a new gas grill for the backyard. No half ton will last 220000 miles doing what he is doing.

Hey OP if you can find an old body style F350/7.3l in good shape you'd be set and look good too! They are hard to find in decent shape these days though.

no goose neck trailers here. just pintle hitches. i have been looking for an older f350/3500. i love my current one. all of the ones i have found are in rough shape like mine. so in 3 years, i will be in the same boat i am in now. my wife doesn't seem to understand it. my truck, the 450 chipper truck, and the chipper are the 3 most important pieces of equipment we have. if my truck is down, i can't do sales. if the 450 is down, the guys can't work. currently the 550 is down due to a fire in the engine compartment. it sucks only having one dump, but we are making it work. if the chipper goes down, we can still work by stacking limbs in the trucks and "hillbilly" chipping. we have had to do this numerous times.

you are also correct in the curb weight being about the same. the tow rating is damn near the same too. it is just the payload in the bed. now you have me thinking on the whole 2500/3500 ride quality. i am spend alot of time in my truck. no dealer around here has a ram 3500 for me to test drive around. a buddy of mine has a landscape company. his GMC 3500 actually rides better than the 2500.

you are correct on the suburbanite 1/2 ton truck.

I have had 4 or5 Dodge diesel trucks. I burned up a 36,000 mile warranty in les than 1 year pulling trailers cross country. No problems with any of them. Most of the ranchers around here, and people that use their trucks as trucks, drive Dodges. Ford is a close number 2. Whatever you diesel you get, install a 2 Micron fuel filter setup. It will save you in the long run!!

i'll have to remember the 2 micron filter, even for my current stuff. thank you. as far as the warranty, they offered me a lifetime bumper-to-bumper warranty for $2700. that was for a gasser though. i gotta stop in tomorrow and see if that applies to the diesel.

I don't think they make a 6k trailer in a goose neck. If they did I could not see why. 3/4 ton truck is more than enough for what he has listed. My work trucks are crew cab Duramax's and could not be happier with the reliability they have given me. And they have a 18k trailers hooked to them everyday.
I always buy diesel because they are always towing something. For the weight you are talking about a gas truck will be fine, but I have been told the new dodge diesel get good fuel mileage.

what kind of mileage? my '10 6.4L diesel 450 gets 6.5mpg. the '01 7.3L 550, i have no idea. i always ask the guys the reset the trip and log the miles so i can figure it out, but they don't. i hardly ever drive that truck. i might do a dump run once a month in it. my 03' f350 5.4L gasser gets 11. it used to get 14, but the front end is all fucked up. it is plowing the front tires, chewing them up and sucking up gas. it needs $2000 to rebuild the front end and a new bed. with 145K miles, i don't want to sink that kind of money into it.

Last edited:
22K miles per year is a lot? I guess everything IS bigger in Texas, haha. In the last ten years I've averaged 40k per year on 3 Tacoma's just daily driving, no business involved. I've never personally owned a diesel, but the agency I work for uses a fleet of them. My work truck is a '10 F350.

As you know, the 6.0 and 6.4 liter Ford engines kinda suck. Weak and several known mechanical issues. We have a couple of the 6.7's and they are awesome. Pulling a 10k lb gooseneck, you hardly know it's there.

The agency as a whole still has a few older (04-07) Dodge trucks but has moved away from them. The engine is great but everything else (transmission, interior, etc.) falls apart around it.

One of the offices has 2 new Chevy Duramax diesels, but I have no idea how they will hold up. I personally wouldn't own a Chevy just on principle with the whole 50 billion dollar bailout.

I think the best bet is a new 6.7 liter Ford. YMMV. Literally.

The hemi 3/4 ton or better are a joke. Get a cummins. I had a 1 ton ram quad cab long box as a company truck for a year. It had power and it was tough, but it rode like a dump truck with the shittiest blah interior ever. My gf at the time was a big titty girl and if she road tripped with me her tits were sore at the end of the day from bouncing in her bra. My gf and I just picked up a 2014 LTZ 1500 silverado and I am buying a new 1 ton GM in the next year to replace my current welding truck. I wont ever shell out my own money for a dodge.

The worst part is that if you need the capability of a one ton diesel it's gonna cost you $60k new because of the demand. Can't even count how many 60-70k trucks driving around town that will never see a hitch or get the bed dirty. I liked the days when office men wouldn't be caught dead in a pickup a lot better.

The worst part is that if you need the capability of a one ton diesel it's gonna cost you $60k new because of the demand. Can't even count how many 60-70k trucks driving around town that will never see a hitch or get the bed dirty. I liked the days when office men wouldn't be caught dead in a pickup a lot better.

haha!

at least they will hit the market with 100,000 easy miles. I hate the 22 year olds buying diesels, hot rodding the shit out of it for X amount of miles then offloading it as a time bomb.

at least they will hit the market with 100,000 easy miles. I hate the 22 year olds buying diesels, hot rodding the shit out of it for X amount of miles then offloading it as a time bomb.

I guess you haven't heard that the more black smoke you produce the more the ladies want you.

Girls have always loved douchebags, even before they(douchebags) discovered dodge trucks.

LMAO, how true.

The company I work for has hundreds if not a couple thousand Dodge trucks (diesel & gas). Here's how I can break it down based on my experience. The 5.7 "hemi" is for 1/2-tons only, anything else is a waste of your money. The Cummins is probably the greatest diesel engine ever produced (I'm a Ford guy) but & this is a BIG but.... you have a 300k mile motor in a (less than) 100k mile truck... they just flat fall apart. I guess that's why they are so cheap....

I wish Ford still made the 7.3, I really do. There's one in the family knocking on the door of 1/4million miles & still runs like new. I started with the 6.0L Ford. Ran if for four years, no issues but i've seen my fair share with folks I know, even I can't recommend them to others anymore. I now run a 2011 6.7 PSD, i've had it for over 3 yrs, never a warranty claim (knock on wood). It pulls down as good or better mileage than my 6.0 & has a metric shit-ton more power. My 29' fifty wheel with my Ranger trained behind that or a 26' Gooseneck loaded full of toys, it doesn't care. The only thing i'd change is the short bed & the 26 gallon tank that comes with it... WTF were they thinking?! Then again, the 50gal drop tank in the back makes up for that :D

Then again, I miss the days when diesel motors actually made noise.... guess i'm weird like that.

t

Last edited:
Haha, a lot of truth In this thread. Never buy a diesel truck from a guy less than 50 years old.

I put a 38 gal rear tank in my 96 7.3l when I had the bed off doing some work on it, so it has 57 gal capacity now. Now I pull a 30' on the floor horse trailer and I hate going to the station and filling that thing up before a long trip.

I don't mind the fact that it is loud. No, I don't get to order fast food at a drive through but at least it sounds like a truck and I get some sick satisfaction that it pisses off the greenies when I get on the throttle.

OP good luck on your truck choice. My idea of perfect is a OBS Ford truck with a built all mechanical pre 98.5 Cummins 5.9, bullet proof BTS manual tranny. Wish dodge and fird would merge lol.

Didn't read all the posts but from your posts you need a diesel. I have a 01 cummins now with 155k on it. All I have had to do is change the injection pump but as we all know the truck around the engine falls apart a lot quicker than the motor (usually). My mom just got a new f250 diesel and I drove it this past weekend and was really surprised with how it drove. so much smoother than mine. We test drove a 2015 Duramax and it felt good also. With what you tow I wouldn't even consider a gas truck just for gas mileage. My truck towing an enclosed car trailer with drag car and everything else needed didn't seem to notice it was back there. The gas trucks I have tried towing with (a couple) have definitely been less enjoyable and stopping for gas 3x the regular intervals isn't fun either. If I was looking for a new 2500 I would be looking strongly at the Duramax followed closely by the Powerstroke. Duramax has a proven engine and tranny.

I am not sure what questions the Chevy dealers near you aren't answering but if you have any that you want answered PM me and I can more than likely get them for you as my family has a Chevy dealership in WV and I can call them up and ask or stop in there.

I drove the new 2500 and you can't see over the hood. I'll drive my 07.5 3500 until it falls apart.
Buy a diesel. I bought a tundra thinking I could get away with a lighter truck. Mileage sucked and it was too lightweight. But it rode much nicer than my 04 F350 and the 3500.

I have a 2013 3500 4x4 four door single wheel with the 6.7 Cummins in it. This will be the seventh Dodge diesel between my Dad and I we have had. I absolutely love it. I replaced a 2001 with this pickup and was just expecting to have bad fuel economy with the new EPA standards. I was wrong. I drove it off of the lot getting 19-20 mpg. I was floored after I had heard of the poor mileage from friends. 2011 and 2012 didn't have DEF. They got poor mileage. This one uses DEF and seems to be more economical.

I added a flatbed with bale spikes for hauling hay, 1,500 lbs. cake feeder and a complete Ranch Hand replacement bumper / grill guard. My good mileage quickly dropped to 13.4. A few weeks later I had to make a long road trip to Abilene, TX and thought I would see if my mileage would change going down the highway. It didn't. 13.4 all of the way. Thought that was going to be the best I could get. Fast forward to this spring and 15,000 miles. Took my son to OKC on a class trip. I was getting 17-18 with all of that weight.

My Dad has a 2008 that I really liked until I bought this 2013. The 08 is actually probably one of the sorriest years for the Dodge Ram and it is still a good truck. Personally I think you should get the diesel. Very reliable and you will always have a great resale value. All high mile Cummins diesel will sell well. The gas one tons become a white elephant for resale.

I like the fact I was able to get a rubber floor with mine. Didn't even know it was a option anymore until I stumbled onto this one.

The only problem I have had is at single digit and below temps. While trying to feed cattle with the electric motor on the cake feeder we would have low voltage issues. I assume that truck pulls a lot of juice to keep the DEF and diesel thawed for cold weather driving. By time I added the pull of the cake feeder at a long bunk line I was having problems. There is a option for a heavier alternator. I suppose for ambulance packages, etc. I have ordered it and will have it installed later this week. Probably really don't need it as we are normally not that cold here. We had the longest, coldest winter I have ever seen for our area.

The radio/Bluetooth display has goofed up a couple of times. Just shut the truck off and restarted it. All was good. The oil filter is difficult to change. You would think they could have done something easier after all of these years.

7.3L Fo Life!!!!!!!

Or until I get something else.

My brother in law has a Dodge with the Cummins and loves it. He has put 2 trannys, rebuilt the turbo, injectors and a gaggle of various "small" parts on it, but he does not come from a people that are steeped in preventive maintenance if you know what I mean.

Ryan

Last edited:
22K miles per year is a lot? I guess everything IS bigger in Texas, haha. In the last ten years I've averaged 40k per year on 3 Tacoma's just daily driving, no business involved. I've never personally owned a diesel, but the agency I work for uses a fleet of them. My work truck is a '10 F350.

As you know, the 6.0 and 6.4 liter Ford engines kinda suck. Weak and several known mechanical issues. We have a couple of the 6.7's and they are awesome. Pulling a 10k lb gooseneck, you hardly know it's there.

The agency as a whole still has a few older (04-07) Dodge trucks but has moved away from them. The engine is great but everything else (transmission, interior, etc.) falls apart around it.

One of the offices has 2 new Chevy Duramax diesels, but I have no idea how they will hold up. I personally wouldn't own a Chevy just on principle with the whole 50 billion dollar bailout.

I think the best bet is a new 6.7 liter Ford. YMMV. Literally.

i don't have any experience with the 6.0, except a few guys i know that have always have them in the shop. my '10 f450 has the 6.4 and that truck is bad ass. that truck does not care what we do to it. mpg sucks ass though. i just hate the interiors and ergonomics of the new fords.

40K miles a year IS a lot.

Didn't read all the posts but from your posts you need a diesel. I have a 01 cummins now with 155k on it. All I have had to do is change the injection pump but as we all know the truck around the engine falls apart a lot quicker than the motor (usually). My mom just got a new f250 diesel and I drove it this past weekend and was really surprised with how it drove. so much smoother than mine. We test drove a 2015 Duramax and it felt good also. With what you tow I wouldn't even consider a gas truck just for gas mileage. My truck towing an enclosed car trailer with drag car and everything else needed didn't seem to notice it was back there. The gas trucks I have tried towing with (a couple) have definitely been less enjoyable and stopping for gas 3x the regular intervals isn't fun either. If I was looking for a new 2500 I would be looking strongly at the Duramax followed closely by the Powerstroke. Duramax has a proven engine and tranny.

I am not sure what questions the Chevy dealers near you aren't answering but if you have any that you want answered PM me and I can more than likely get them for you as my family has a Chevy dealership in WV and I can call them up and ask or stop in there.

it wasn't technical questions. i try not to ask too many tech questions, because then they try to suck you in and sell you on the "numbers" that joe-blow-i want a tough guy fancy truck to show of even though deep down inside i'm a puss-suburbanite falls for. i stated what i wanted, what i would accept as a second choice. the dealers looked at their computers, and basically told me they couldn't help me. they fucking blew me off. i do appreciate the offer though, thank you.

EDIT:
actually, the one place i stopped at, i gave the guy my list of preferred, and my list of do-ables. he seemed taken back that i was pretty specific on what i wanted. he flat out told me he couldn't help me.

Last edited:
I have a 2013 3500 4x4 four door single wheel with the 6.7 Cummins in it. This will be the seventh Dodge diesel between my Dad and I we have had. I absolutely love it. I replaced a 2001 with this pickup and was just expecting to have bad fuel economy with the new EPA standards. I was wrong. I drove it off of the lot getting 19-20 mpg. I was floored after I had heard of the poor mileage from friends. 2011 and 2012 didn't have DEF. They got poor mileage. This one uses DEF and seems to be more economical.

I added a flatbed with bale spikes for hauling hay, 1,500 lbs. cake feeder and a complete Ranch Hand replacement bumper / grill guard. My good mileage quickly dropped to 13.4. A few weeks later I had to make a long road trip to Abilene, TX and thought I would see if my mileage would change going down the highway. It didn't. 13.4 all of the way. Thought that was going to be the best I could get. Fast forward to this spring and 15,000 miles. Took my son to OKC on a class trip. I was getting 17-18 with all of that weight.

My Dad has a 2008 that I really liked until I bought this 2013. The 08 is actually probably one of the sorriest years for the Dodge Ram and it is still a good truck. Personally I think you should get the diesel. Very reliable and you will always have a great resale value. All high mile Cummins diesel will sell well. The gas one tons become a white elephant for resale.

I like the fact I was able to get a rubber floor with mine. Didn't even know it was a option anymore until I stumbled onto this one.

The only problem I have had is at single digit and below temps. While trying to feed cattle with the electric motor on the cake feeder we would have low voltage issues. I assume that truck pulls a lot of juice to keep the DEF and diesel thawed for cold weather driving. By time I added the pull of the cake feeder at a long bunk line I was having problems. There is a option for a heavier alternator. I suppose for ambulance packages, etc. I have ordered it and will have it installed later this week. Probably really don't need it as we are normally not that cold here. We had the longest, coldest winter I have ever seen for our area.

The radio/Bluetooth display has goofed up a couple of times. Just shut the truck off and restarted it. All was good. The oil filter is difficult to change. You would think they could have done something easier after all of these years.

so what made the mgp jump up?

everyone keeps talking about how bad ass the 7.3 is. my 550 has a 7.3. it is a giant turd. that fucker wont pull shit. we have to load the 7.3 550 to 75% capacity of the 6.4 450 so it can make it home. and you can forget about putting a machine on the back. if both dumps were full, and we had both machines on site, i'd have to go get the machine that tagged along on the 7.3 550 with my pick up.

the 7.3 550 is also the truck that caught on fire 6 weeks ago.

both the 450 and the 550 and auto trannys, in case anyone wanted to know. i prefer manuals, but these damn kids these days don't know how to drive...in every sense of the word!

I am surprised they didn't offer to order one for you or see about trading with another dealership to get what you wanted.

I have a 2012 Ram 2500 with the 6.7L Cummins, its been spot on! 18k on it with no issues. I agree with those that said get the diesel. The 14s do get a bit better mileage and have better options as far as stereo's and interior. I have had 2 other Cummins powered Rams and the 4th gen Rams are by far the best yet. Also you can still get a Manual trans behind the 6.7L Cummins if you prefer to row!

so what made the mgp jump up?
I don't know. I only have 15,000 on it. It should not be broke in yet. I noticed a .5 increase when I added my mud tires. That made know sense to me. It should have gotten worse, not better. I am not going to get good mileage with the weight I carry and my day to day duties. I probably should be happy with 12-14 mpg.

As far as the 6.0. I have a 2005 Excursion. A nice vehicle. Runs like a race car. But at 90,000 miles back in April I was having the head gasket fixed. Head bolts stretched. A total Excursion body lift and $4,500 later it was fixed. This was after a EGR delete two years ago. I like it but wish I could hybrid my Ram 3500 with the passenger carrying part of my Excursion. No more Fords for me. To expensive to own.

Attachments

• excursion.jpg
    excursion.jpg
    743.5 KB · Views: 18
I don't know. I only have 15,000 on it. It should not be broke in yet. I noticed a .5 increase when I added my mud tires. That made know sense to me. It should have gotten worse, not better. I am not going to get good mileage with the weight I carry and my day to day duties. I probably should be happy with 12-14 mpg.

As far as the 6.0. I have a 2005 Excursion. A nice vehicle. Runs like a race car. But at 90,000 miles back in April I was having the head gasket fixed. Head bolts stretched. A total Excursion body lift and $4,500 later it was fixed. This was after a EGR delete two years ago. I like it but wish I could hybrid my Ram 3500 with the passenger carrying part of my Excursion. No more Fords for me. To expensive to own.

Do you have the 3.55 gear set? Im getting between 15 and 16 with my 12 CTD empty.. What tire size to you go to for the MTs? sounds like you got a good deal on the HGs. Buddy just dropped 65 hundo for his 06 6.0.

Do you have the 3.55 gear set? Im getting between 15 and 16 with my 12 CTD empty.. What tire size to you go to for the MTs? sounds like you got a good deal on the HGs. Buddy just dropped 65 hundo for his 06 6.0.

Yes I am running 3.55's. Dads 08 has a lower ratio and it eats fuel. I know of another that a neighbor bought in about 98 that he ordered it with low gears. He was used to the Ford diesels. Back in the day of 6.9 and 7.3 you had to have a 4.10 to get any power. He thought his new Dodge needed it as well. He still is driving it but has regretted that decision since he bought it.

As far as tires I bought the Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx LT 275/70R18 M+S. Supposed to be same size it had on it when I bought it. I waited for them to get in because they were on back order. They are supposed to hold up well in gravel. Our rock and sand roads eat tires up fast.

I think I did get a good deal. Believe it or not it was at a Ford garage as well. Never thought a dealer would even be close to competing on price with a independent mechanic. They were right their with them and I feel better that the warranty should be good no matter where I am.

You know I am going to get off track here a second, but it is just criminal that Ford put the 6.0 out like they did. A person shouldn't have to spend 7-10 grand at 90,000 miles. Especially on a passenger vehicle that hauls a family. Sorry. now I'll get off of my soap box.

Last edited:
Yes I am running 3.55's. Dads 08 has a lower ratio and it eats fuel. I know of another that a neighbor bought in about 98 that he ordered it with low gears. He was used to the Ford diesels. Back in the day of 6.9 and 7.3 you had to have a 4.10 to get any power. He thought his new Dodge needed it as well. He still is driving it but has regretted that decision since he bought it.

As far as tires I bought the Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx LT 275/70R18 M+S. Supposed to be same size it had on it when I bought it. I waited for them to get in because they were on back order. They are supposed to hold up well in gravel. Our rock and sand roads eat tires up fast.

I think I did get a good deal. Believe it or not it was at a Ford garage as well. Never thought a dealer would even be close to competing on price with a independent mechanic. They were right their with them and I feel better that the warranty should be good no matter where I am.

You know I am going to get off track here a second, but it is just criminal that Ford put the 6.0 out like they did. A person shouldn't have to spend 7-10 grand at 90,000 miles. Especially on a passenger vehicle that hauls a family. Sorry. now I'll get off of my soap box.

I don't mean to derail the OP's thread but, My 01 CTD had 3.55s got 17s with just a CAI and TBE.. My 07.5 ( 6.7L) got 18-19 with Full Deletes on a Smarty Jr. with 3.73s and my 12 with 3.73s get 15-16 stock. I guess there is a lesson here. The diesel addiction is just about as bad as the gun addiction. I agree with the who 6 OH debacle maybe a Fummins Swap in your X? Alright Ill go back to waiting patiently for EFILive for the 10+ Cummins trucks!

I don't mean to derail the OP's thread but, My 01 CTD had 3.55s got 17s with just a CAI and TBE.. My 07.5 ( 6.7L) got 18-19 with Full Deletes on a Smarty Jr. with 3.73s and my 12 with 3.73s get 15-16 stock. I guess there is a lesson here. The diesel addiction is just about as bad as the gun addiction. I agree with the who 6 OH debacle maybe a Fummins Swap in your X? Alright Ill go back to waiting patiently for EFILive for the 10+ Cummins trucks!

Cummins in my Excursion would be cool. I do like the interior a whole lot more in my Ram. You are right. Diesel addiction is just about as bad as guns.

Cummins in my Excursion would be cool. I do like the interior a whole lot more in my Ram. You are right. Diesel addiction is just about as bad as guns.

Ive been around the Diesel world to long.. but if you want shops that do swaps let me know, I can suggest a couple!

I am surprised they didn't offer to order one for you or see about trading with another dealership to get what you wanted.

the second gmc dealer (went there 3 F-ing times. the first 2 times i went, they were busy. i get that, but they just kinda blew me off.) i went to stated he could order one. i said, "ok, what is the lead time and with the options i need, how much?"

he shrugs his shoulders, "about $40K (gasser, mind you) and 8 weeks. let me know what you think and give me a call."

ummm.......

i don't want to be sold, but at least give me some options.

when i walk into a dealer, i ask to talk to someone about HD or SD trucks. when the salesman comes over we go over the usual small talk BS, and when the time is right to talk about use, options, blah blah blah, is when i go over my list of what i need. wouldn't you think to your self, "this guy is ready to buy"?

the dodge dealer i went to, i did the same thing. within 10 minutes the chick came back with 3 prints outs of trucks that met my criteria with other dealers they deal with, an estimated monthly payment based on excellent credit, and all the fun stuff. she even said the same thing everyone else said, "you seem to really know what you need".

i could be wrong, but the gmc dealers fucking blew it.

Ive been around the Diesel world to long.. but if you want shops that do swaps let me know, I can suggest a couple!
I am good for now. I just hope someone makes something comparable 10 years from now. I doubt it though. A suburban isn't going to cut it. There is a outfit in Guthrie, Ok that makes brand new Excursions out of new 4 door Fords. But by the time your done you have 90 - 100 grand invested.

2011 Ford Excursion

Sorry to derail the OP thread.

no big deal. i have no idea what you guys are talking about! haha

the second gmc dealer (went there 3 F-ing times. the first 2 times i went, they were busy. i get that, but they just kinda blew me off.) i went to stated he could order one. i said, "ok, what is the lead time and with the options i need, how much?"

he shrugs his shoulders, "about $40K (gasser, mind you) and 8 weeks. let me know what you think and give me a call."

ummm.......

i don't want to be sold, but at least give me some options.

when i walk into a dealer, i ask to talk to someone about HD or SD trucks. when the salesman comes over we go over the usual small talk BS, and when the time is right to talk about use, options, blah blah blah, is when i go over my list of what i need. wouldn't you think to your self, "this guy is ready to buy"?

the dodge dealer i went to, i did the same thing. within 10 minutes the chick came back with 3 prints outs of trucks that met my criteria with other dealers they deal with, an estimated monthly payment based on excellent credit, and all the fun stuff. she even said the same thing everyone else said, "you seem to really know what you need".

i could be wrong, but the gmc dealers fucking blew it.

I would agree I wouldn't want to give them my business at all. I am surprised they didn't get you a salesman to actually sit down price it out and get an estimated payment. I don't like the pushy salesmen that seem to be forcing you into a deal but that is ridiculous how they were.

At least if you go dodge you know the engine has a great reputation and your spending your money somewhere that seems to appreciate the business.

I would agree I wouldn't want to give them my business at all. I am surprised they didn't get you a salesman to actually sit down price it out and get an estimated payment. I don't like the pushy salesmen that seem to be forcing you into a deal but that is ridiculous how they were.

At least if you go dodge you know the engine has a great reputation and your spending your money somewhere that seems to appreciate the business.

the shitty thing, the second gmc dealer i went to, my buddy sent me to. since i have known dan (6 years), he has purchased 10 trucks from the guy i talked to. i am not one to throw around a buddies name to get a deal. i throw around the name to give the buddy credit where credit is due. i told dan what happened, and he wasn't happy. he felt it made him look bad. it is no reflection on dan at all, and no hard feelings. the gmc dealer dropped the ball...and the dealer is called "joe gall gmc".

haha, i just made an unintentional funny!

the shitty thing, the second gmc dealer i went to, my buddy sent me to. since i have known dan (6 years), he has purchased 10 trucks from the guy i talked to. i am not one to throw around a buddies name to get a deal. i throw around the name to give the buddy credit where credit is due. i told dan what happened, and he wasn't happy. he felt it made him look bad. it is no reflection on dan at all, and no hard feelings. the gmc dealer dropped the ball...and the dealer is called "joe gall gmc".

haha, i just made an unintentional funny!

haha

You talked to the actual salesman that your buddy bought all the vehicles off of and still didn't get better service? If I sent someone to a dealership and they were treated that way I wouldn't do anymore business with them just because how they treated a friend I sent to them.

A lot of salesmen don't seem to realize that how you treat a customer a lot of times is almost as important as the product they desire. When I was selling cars I actually had customers come back to the dealership I was at after going to others and buy a car they didn't like quite as much just because I would joke around and be personable when the other salesman of the car they preferred wasn't as friendly.

Great thread. I've learned a lot and appreciate you all sharing your experience. Reading this thread has me wanting a Cummins, I've got a 1990 Dodge Ram Charger with the gas burner V8. It's not my daily driver but I enjoy taking it hunting, fishing , all the outdoors stuff very much. The truck will climb a tree in 4 wheel drive low.

I am interested in this thread as we are also looking for a hauler. We've had Dodges since they first started putting Cummins in them and have owned every one of the body styles.

We also cant seem to get a Chevy/GMC dealer to help us even unless we want an electric car. So they are out of the picture now.

The 06 dually pulls great with the manual trans but dang.... the head light contral panel is out again, the mirror adjustment is out, the tail gate literally bent in half when a dumb ass kid dropped an 80lb bale of horse feed 2 feet onto it, the rpm cable is going out, it eats front tires every 30k, etc, etc, etc. I think its already been said that the Dodge is a 100k truck with a 300k-500k motor. Any more these days the only value after 150k is to pull the motor and use it to power an ag pump.

Been hearing good things about the new Ford motors and their trucks cant be worse than the Dodge. We are leaning towards them.

I am interested in this thread as we are also looking for a hauler. We've had Dodges since they first started putting Cummins in them and have owned every one of the body styles.

We also cant seem to get a Chevy/GMC dealer to help us even unless we want an electric car. So they are out of the picture now.

The 06 dually pulls great with the manual trans but dang.... the head light contral panel is out again, the mirror adjustment is out, the tail gate literally bent in half when a dumb ass kid dropped an 80lb bale of horse feed 2 feet onto it, the rpm cable is going out, it eats front tires every 30k, etc, etc, etc. I think its already been said that the Dodge is a 100k truck with a 300k-500k motor. Any more these days the only value after 150k is to pull the motor and use it to power an ag pump.

Been hearing good things about the new Ford motors and their trucks cant be worse than the Dodge. We are leaning towards them.

I think you'll find Ford trucks are better, but I would be careful about models with the 6.0 or 6.4.

For those who haven't owned a work truck before Fords are generally more expensive and the "good deals" are usually the trucks with those engines. Lots of problems with the 6.0. The 7.3 was generally regarded as one of the best light/medium duty truck diesels ever made up there with the 5.9 cummins of the same era but it us getting hard to find a late 90s 7.3l or 5.9 cummins that don't have 300k on it or is stock and never hot rodded, but if you are lucky enough to find one they deserve the rep they have. Realize that stock trucks of that era do not have the weight capabilities of the newer trucks on paper even though with slight mods those motors will handle it, so if you are hotshotting cars or moving commercial equipment and are gonna get weighed on the highway you will have to respect those limits regardless of whether the trucks will handle it.

Buying diesels used is trickier than gas. You need to know a lot to buy safely or bring someone who knows about blow by and coolant tests, cleanliness of the turbo intake and the condition of the turbo wheel, etc. You would really like to see some mx records as mx is much more critical.

And for pester, if you have a stock 1998 or earlier 5.9 cummins 12 valve with less than 200 k on it, don't make an Ag motor out of it sell it to me instead!

auto. too much city driving for a manual. the wife is forcing me to take a weekend trip, so i'll have pics up next week and a review.

Awesome! I hope you get along as well as I have. I have my first auto in this 2013 I have. I don't think I will go back. I wish mine had remote start and heated seats. What trim package did you get?

trim package....i duno. tradesman version?; chrome bumpers and wheels, power windows, locks, 4 full size doors, back up camera which i found out yesterday when the fucker started beeping at me, NO CD player (guess i'll have to get an ithingy now, damn it!), i just assumed they all came with CD players. it has all the blue tooth, XM radio, i-whatever ports bullshit i'll never use.

i miss driving a stick, but with all the BS city driving i do i all over pittsburgh everyday, i hate it. if i ever get another late 90s trans am or camaro, it's gonna be a stick though.