• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

Re: Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

6.5WSSM,

I get several emails per day from people having trouble downloading. I've been giving that procedure for them to try.

Sean with the kestrel blue tooth and the android phone can you put the kestrel downrange maybe 200-400 yards and still pick up the signal on the phone.
Thanks for bringing out this cool app.

Mac

scottishtornado,

Bluetooth doesn't go that far. The Kestrel allows you to set the BT power to low, med, or high. High has a max range of about 30ft.

It seems on the latest release, if I choose Automatic Latitude for Coriolis calc, it also automatically enters the Atmospheric conditions, even if Automatic Atmosphere is unchecked.

It would be nice to be able to have both unchecked, and hit the options menu when (like choosing the kestrel bluetooth option) while inputting the calc and choosing to grab location information. That way I can update it if I know the GPS has pulled a bad location (as is usually the case for elevation) with out it replacing my text a few seconds later.

basalt,

I just uploaded a newer version to the Market that fixes that issue and a menu item to load atmosphere using gps/weather station once (as you described). You must disable Auto Atmosphere for that menu option to show up.

Is there anyway of getting this app in Sweden (our App market does not yet allow paid apps)?

Johan_Kred,

Not until Android starts providing paid apps in Sweden. Hopefully they do soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Johan_Kred,

Not until Android starts providing paid apps in Sweden. Hopefully they do soon. </div></div>

Damn, that shit is just not fair. (Google fix it!)
It sucks not being able to buy apps, it proberly means that you (developers) loose a lot of money for your hard work. Android is really getting popular in Sweden but without paid apps people is getting used to not paying for apps (freeware and/or warez). And I dont think this is a problem just in Sweden.

Keep up the good work and hopefully soon they will fix this problem.

//Johan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">basalt,

I just uploaded a newer version to the Market that fixes that issue and a menu item to load atmosphere using gps/weather station once (as you described). You must disable Auto Atmosphere for that menu option to show up. </div></div>

Awesome! Seems to be working! Now if I could just get satellites in my office!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: basalt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">basalt,

I just uploaded a newer version to the Market that fixes that issue and a menu item to load atmosphere using gps/weather station once (as you described). You must disable Auto Atmosphere for that menu option to show up. </div></div>

Awesome! Seems to be working! Now if I could just get satellites in my office! </div></div>

:| why? are you going to shoot someone in your office down a long-range hallway?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: basalt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">basalt,

Awesome! Seems to be working! Now if I could just get satellites in my office! </div></div>

:| why? are you going to shoot someone in your office down a long-range hallway? </div></div>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/thy1C9NtN9Q"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/thy1C9NtN9Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Maybe?

-pd

ptd, great vid
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johan_Kred</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there anyway of getting this app in Sweden (our App market does not yet allow paid apps)? </div></div>
I'm from Sweden and use Shooter in my HTC. My workaround to get the full version (and other paid apps from Market) was simply to buy a sim-card from a country that supports paid apps. In my case a UK T-Mobile card. You insert the card and connect via WiFi and instantly have access to the whole Market. Of course you pay for the apps as normal. Very easy. If you want more info just send a message.

Sean, e-mailed you recently asking about a little feature. It was about the possibility to have "clicks" as the highlighted choice in the Solution display, and also have number of clicks in the Table. Any chance you could fix this little request?

Thanks

"Simple" mode added to the latest release.

Sean has added a "Simple" mode for those just starting out.
It hides some fields and options to reduce the number of inputs and choices required. The option is selected by opening the upper-most item in the preferrences menu (Operational Mode) and choosing the appropriate mode.

It strips away the temp-variation, Spin-drift, and Coriolis portions of the program......and hides the fields that hold data critical only to these features(twist-rate, twist-direction, etc). The profiles still contain the data you entered in "Advanced mode", but they are hidden from view. This removes those options and items from the screens and should help newcomers feel less confused by reducing the number of setings and inputs required to get a solution.

Those familiar with the program will not find this of much benefit unless you choose to save time and use the less-refined solutions.

This should make it easier for those who are new to the application, and ballistics calculators in general.

Once you become accustomed to the software and gain understanding of the full capabilities you can return to Advanced mode.
New users who are overwhelmed by the amount of input required to get up and running will benefit from this feature.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Johan_Kred,

Not until Android starts providing paid apps in Sweden. Hopefully they do soon. </div></div>

I don't really know if it would work but can't you use SlideME to distribute apps? Then we can pay via Paypal.

http://slideme.org/

*EDIT just bought a SIM-card from England so I will soon buy Shooter.

I have been playing with the bluetooth portion and my new kestrel, any chance for bringing in wind direction from the kestrel? I would think that this combined with the azimuth input would provide useful.

-pd

I have a couple of questions, if there's another thread with newbie questions, please direct me to it. I have a swaro scope that clicks .18/100yds. Don't see an option for that, and how do I go back into a rifle profile to make changes? I just know this app is exactly what I've been looking for.

Would there be anyway to be able to input real life data to customize for the specific load? Reason I ask is that the program told me 8moa and my actual is 6moa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popgunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a couple of questions, if there's another thread with newbie questions, please direct me to it. I have a swaro scope that clicks .18/100yds. Don't see an option for that, and how do I go back into a rifle profile to make changes? I just know this app is exactly what I've been looking for. </div></div>
.18 inches or .18 moa?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricF517</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would there be anyway to be able to input real life data to customize for the specific load? Reason I ask is that the program told me 8moa and my actual is 6moa. </div></div>

EricF517,

The calculator in the program is excellent, amongst the best there is. Frankly, I think you probably have a few variables that are not truly representative of your actual load.

-Have you chronographed your load to get actual velocity (10 ft from muzzle)?
-Have you input the powder temp at the time you chronographed your load?
-Are you using the right BC information for the bullet you're firing?

When I use shooter, I will input all raw data as close as I believe accurately represents the load. If I find that my field data is off from the calculator, I then tweak the variables that I've input into Shooter to more accurately fine tune the output information. Within 1-2 field sessions, I'm spot on when accounting for environmental variables accurately (density altitude and powder temp).

I hope that helps. It's better to tune your input variables to have the calculator do its work for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popgunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a couple of questions, if there's another thread with newbie questions, please direct me to it. I have a swaro scope that clicks .18/100yds. Don't see an option for that, and how do I go back into a rifle profile to make changes? I just know this app is exactly what I've been looking for.</div></div>

Yes, I'm confused as well. Are your turrets incremented at 1/8 MOA? If not, what are your turret increments?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ptd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been playing with the bluetooth portion and my new kestrel, any chance for bringing in wind direction from the kestrel? I would think that this combined with the azimuth input would provide useful.

-pd</div></div>

I think the issue here is direction relative to what? You would need to know the direction of point of aim and the direction of the wind relative to that aim. Not all Kestrel's have the compass feature so having an absolute compass reading seems problematic across the board. That said, I guess all the Bluetooth enabled Kestrels do have the compass feature. Hmmm....

I know in my 4500NV, I can gain point of aim at a point in time and have the device calculate my perpendicular crosswind to that direction. The crosswind feature is probably what you would want to have input into the screen. That said, you would need to know crosswind from left or right as well.....

Hey Sean,

So all this new feature discussion got me thinking and so I have another feature suggestion for you.

On the solutions screen, I sort of look at it as a quick-use heads up display. It's great for quickly changing a few variables and have the result instantly display while in the field.

One option that I'd like to have is to dispense with the "clicks", "moa", and "iphy" data if I select "mils" as my primary and use that extra screen real estate to have the lead controls also resident on the screen.

Next I would include the "look angle" as another option here with buttons on the screen allowing instant up/down selection in degrees.

Lastly, I would have an output option that includes left/right adjustment in "mils" (or whatever the preferred angular measurement is) for both the wind and lead variables so that the combination (be it additive or subtractive) is instantly displayed.

This might improve the instant comprehensiveness of the HUD for elevation, wind, lead, and look functions. Perhaps it could be configured as "standard" or "advanced" HUD screen in the preferences menu.

For layout, the distance, wind speed, and wind angle stay in the top. The second row would be look angle, lead speed, and lead angle. The third row would be the data output with elevation, wind, lead, and wind+lead. The bottom row would be as you have it with velocity, energy, and time.

Or course, this is my $.02. I've become an addict to this screen for use in competition and love the idea of simple clicks versus hitting menu and only adjusting singular variables at any given time. Sometimes the field is just too dynamic for that!

my swaro is European, and it says .18 inch per 100 yds. (5mm/100meters)

oops, posted on the wrong page...My Swaro says .18inch per 100 yards or 5mm per 100 meters. It's the European model.

I would choose 1/10th mil and enter .5 as a correction factor, if I understand you correctly.

on their site, they are calling it the point of impact@100yds. so each clik moves the point of impact .18" ... now how to i get shooter to accept that?

1/10 mil is .36" at 100 yards, so .18" should be 1/20 mil.
Setting Shooters rifle scope adj value to 1/10 mil with a .5 correction factor should accomplish this.

Your case may even give Sean cause to include 1/20th of a mil as a standard adjustment value choice......if this is even slightly common.
I had never heard of it before, but I am certainly not all-knowing and I am pretty sure he is not either.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricF517</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would there be anyway to be able to input real life data to customize for the specific load? Reason I ask is that the program told me 8moa and my actual is 6moa. </div></div>

I guess one could include an option like that but it would not be utilized near as much as the features he included.

A differential that great, 6MOA vs 8MOA, would be a good reason to revisit the data you are entering into the program. I would bet something is wrong in the data you entered.

There is a feature that will accomplish what you are asking: the MV, or "Muzzle Velocity", tool.
Go to the Table screen and look at the data shown.
Then hit the "menu" button and bring up the Muzzle Velocity tool.
Begin changing the velocity via the plus and minus buttons and you will see the table is updated each time you make a change(it takes a few seconds to update with each change). When the dope matches your real dope; you have determined the correct velocity for the given conditions during that shooting session.

Of course, this assumes that all other data you entered is absolutely correct.
If the other atmospheric, hardware, and bullet info is wrong....this means nothing and is a waste of your time.

Like I said before.....go back over all other variables and make sure they are correct before using this tool.

Shit-in equals shit-out. The result is only as good as the data you enter.

The MV tools was created because its the one variable that is tough to quantify to high resolution.......two different chronographs will yield two different results, in my experience.
Other data is pretty easy to lock down accurately. The MV tool was the answer to tightening the resolution of the solution when ALL other data is known to be perfect.

Just my opinion.

mattmcg;
Man, you have some interesting ideas!

I am sure Sean will be reading them with interest. He must be busy, doing who-knows-what.
laugh.gif

I know he values the input!

I'd expect most of europe and whoever else is used to the metric system would have the same kind of problem with their scopes. Swarovski is Austrian I think, but I stumbled onto the scope at Cabela's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mattmcg;

I am sure Sean will be reading them with interest. He must be busy, doing who-knows-what.
laugh.gif

I know he values the input!</div></div>

Thanks man. Always looking to funnel new ideas to help with the further development of the software. Frankly, I can see a time where Sean charges much more for this and still provides a heck of a value.

This program already blows doors off the iPhone equivalent app.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popgunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd expect most of europe and whoever else is used to the metric system would have the same kind of problem with their scopes. Swarovski is Austrian I think, but I stumbled onto the scope at Cabela's. </div></div>

Just to clarify, your scope may be european but mils are not metric (although many people confuse that). Also, most mil scopes adjust in 1/10 mil and not 1/20. It's rare to see adjustments that fine.

Adding a 1/20 mil option in Shooter would be an interesting addition though. I know of a few benchrest scopes in mils that adjust to that level although I've never had my hands on one (only read about them).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mattmcg;

laugh.gif

I know he values the input!</div></div>

Thanks man. Always looking to funnel new ideas to help with the further development of the software. Frankly, I can see a time where Sean charges much more for this and still provides a heck of a value.

This program already blows doors off the iPhone equivalent app. </div></div>
I agree, and am quite thankful to have use of the program.

I know the difference between metric and mil-radian. This scope was meant for people using the metric system, where the impact point would be moved 5mm in 100 meters. It was a workaround to try using mil's ... and might just work. But, it would be nice if shooter worked metric too. Just sayin...

mattmcg was not incorrect in anything he said.

Mils are a measurement of an angle and have nothing to do with metric or imperial units of measure......until we assign them linear boundaries. Those boundaries can be assigned in either linear unit type and work perfectly with both.

Shooter is not more or less "metric" than your scope.
The fact that it does not, currently, have 1/20th mil as an option has nothing to do with it.

You can choose 1/10th mil, and meters, and meters per second in the preferences menu; and it will use and output only metric and angular results. Assigning a correction value of .5 should get you to 1/20th mil.

What's missing from this?

I can add 1/20ths easily...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Sean,

So all this new feature discussion got me thinking and so I have another feature suggestion for you.

On the solutions screen, I sort of look at it as a quick-use heads up display. It's great for quickly changing a few variables and have the result instantly display while in the field.

One option that I'd like to have is to dispense with the "clicks", "moa", and "iphy" data if I select "mils" as my primary and use that extra screen real estate to have the lead controls also resident on the screen.

Next I would include the "look angle" as another option here with buttons on the screen allowing instant up/down selection in degrees.

Lastly, I would have an output option that includes left/right adjustment in "mils" (or whatever the preferred angular measurement is) for both the wind and lead variables so that the combination (be it additive or subtractive) is instantly displayed.

This might improve the instant comprehensiveness of the HUD for elevation, wind, lead, and look functions. Perhaps it could be configured as "standard" or "advanced" HUD screen in the preferences menu.

For layout, the distance, wind speed, and wind angle stay in the top. The second row would be look angle, lead speed, and lead angle. The third row would be the data output with elevation, wind, lead, and wind+lead. The bottom row would be as you have it with velocity, energy, and time.

Or course, this is my $.02. I've become an addict to this screen for use in competition and love the idea of simple clicks versus hitting menu and only adjusting singular variables at any given time. Sometimes the field is just too dynamic for that! </div></div>

Thanks matt. I'll look into offering 2 layouts for the solution screen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks matt. I'll look into offering 2 layouts for the solution screen.</div></div>

Cool!
smile.gif

All that's missing *(truthfully) is a newbie of average intelligence trying to grasp too many new things @ one time. ;-)
I don't know metric @ all ... old man in 1/2-1/4-1/8-1/16-1/32-1/64 etc. So, if I can choose mil's and the adjustment is .5 getting me to 1/20th mil and that will work for me, I will learn it. As I will learn this shooter software.

Cool. I agree.

See the preferences screen, first option....to put the software in simple mode. It does not change it drastically, but it does reduce the number of items one needs to worry about while they get more familiar with the software.

I see Sean is already planning to add the 1/20th option.
Pretty nice... having the programmer watching and reacting to discussion!

Do I want to put meters and meters per second? I wouldn't understand...I have put mils in elevation and windage and 1/10th in turret grad & wind and .5 in elevation correction. I'm 1 day away from back surgery, so haven't been able to take it out n use it yet, but plenty excited about the program. Any help is appreciated.
Gary

You know the answers.... better than someone else might.
Would you prefer to be entering distance in yards or meters?
Would you prefer to enter Imperial or Metric atmospheric conditions?

It's really up to you.
Try it and see how it works for you. Change anything that does not work for you.

It's not like you have to stick with any decision you make in preferences.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ptd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been playing with the bluetooth portion and my new kestrel, any chance for bringing in wind direction from the kestrel? I would think that this combined with the azimuth input would provide useful.

-pd</div></div>

I think the issue here is direction relative to what? You would need to know the direction of point of aim and the direction of the wind relative to that aim. Not all Kestrel's have the compass feature so having an absolute compass reading seems problematic across the board. That said, I guess all the Bluetooth enabled Kestrels do have the compass feature. Hmmm....

I know in my 4500NV, I can gain point of aim at a point in time and have the device calculate my perpendicular crosswind to that direction. The crosswind feature is probably what you would want to have input into the screen. That said, you would need to know crosswind from left or right as well.....
</div></div>

Wouldn't point of aim be the azimuth input directly in Shooter for the folks with the built in compass on their device?

I guess I figured that with the azimuth input directly on the host device, Shooter's angular input for wind, and that the data seems to be available from the kestrel - why not?

Then again, I suspect not everyone would have a kestrel on a tripod with the vane mount...

-pd

popgunz;
Check for Shooter updates on your phone......Sean has already added support for 1/20th adjustments. You will want to reset the correction factor to 1.0 when you switch to 1/20th.

Hey Sean,

I think the last update with the 1/20 mil option has introduced some new bugs. After updating, I went in to verify my settings (which were previously set at 1/10 mil) and they were all set to 1/20. I then edited them back to 1/10, saved it, and went back in to verify the settings took. It still listed 1/20. Looks like a bug.