• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

Re: Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

Thanks matt. It was storing correctly, but just displaying wrong. The bug was actually present before and it was *really* with the 1/10th graduation. Adding the 1/20th just revealed it.

Glad to have found it. Always have had a hidden QA talent..... hehe

That's just an upbeat way of saying that you break shit all the time.
laugh.gif

downloaded this app last night, been playing around with it and seem to like it

I downloaded the app several weeks ago and have been playing with it. I had the chance to shoot to 700yds this weekend and put the program to the test. I have to say it is very accurate and works very well. The option to adjust your MV value to match field results is very nice when tweaking program outputs vs field results. First shot was some tesing on a 10"x10" steel at 500yds...entered my station pressure, temp, humidity etc. Program said 2.7 mils elevation....dialed it in....boom and clang. Nice.

The only input I don't use is coriolis and obviously at ranges up to the 700yds I have shot with the program it is not needed. Tell me how to use the coriolis function.

OK I might be slow but... Here is my Question. I have a MIL-DOT reticle on MOA turrets. Is there a way to set MOA for the graduation and MILS as the default for the range calc? I know I can go in and change it while I am doing the calculation but if it was Default to mils that would be one less step.

I am not sure if that is available? If it is how do I do it?

Great program by the way!!! The only app on the phone!

Stryker1,

You're not blind, that option is just not available.

Lead is controlled by it's own unit (in the firearm profile).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lead is controlled by it's own unit (in the firearm profile). </div></div>

I missed that....thanks!
laugh.gif

ggmanning,

Sorry, I did miss that. To enable Coriolis effect, you enter your current latitude (which can be gotten via the GPS, you can enable that in the Preferences) and also the target's Azimuth. The Azimuth is just what direction your target is relative to north. This can also be gotten using your phone's built-in compass (if it has one). You'd just point the device at your target and let it settle and gives you a consistent reading. It's also a good idea to wave your device around a bit while getting the azimuth to calibrate it.

Thanks...I assume you hold ther phone flat and point at the target? Great program/great support.

Sean,

question for you....I have switched from 6.5mm 140 gr. Bergers to 6.5mm 139 gr. Lapuas.

After bullet pointing with Whidden's setup and Meplat trimming 0.005", and then a final pointing, I can only assume that the Lapua's B.C. is closer to the Berger's B.C.

Any chance I could edit that, or maybe get an update for the bullet library?

Thanks again.....

6.5WSSM,

I would suggest NOT selecting a bullet from the bullet library and instead select "Add Ammo". That will allow you to enter your own custom bullet specs to better match exactly what you have. Since you have a "customized" bullet and enhanced its performance, the "Add Ammo" option was designed to accommodate that exact type of scenario.

The bullet library used in Shooter is from JBM and is only meant to provide a baseline set of info as provided by the bullet manufacturer as well as Litz's trusted specs and performance data.

Frankly, I always choose "Add Ammo" even when I use unmodified bullets as it allows maximum flexibility to tweak your input data to the exact bullets in hand. Are your bullets a little more pointed than the last batch? Is the grain weight slightly more/less than the last batch? Is the bullet length slightly longer/shorter? The "Add Ammo" option allows you the most flexibility to input variances in all of the above and more.

I hope that helps.

A few points need to be made here.

1) The bullet library only facilitates adding an "ammo profile". It is identical to the "Add Ammo" button, it just pre-loads the bullet you select for you.

2) If you choose a bullet from the library that is labeled (Litz), you cannot edit the BC in that ammo profile. Any other bullets you can simply long-click your ammo profile and edit the BC values, even if you added it from the Bullet Library.

3) The bullet library was compiled from a few sources, but not JBM.

I didn't realize that a "non-Litz" entry allowed you to adjust the BC. I guess I've always dispensed with the manufacturer data because it wasn't trustworthy and went right to the Litz! Good to know!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frankly, I always choose "Add Ammo" even when I use unmodified bullets as it allows maximum flexibility to tweak your input data to the exact bullets in hand. Are your bullets a little more pointed than the last batch? Is the grain weight slightly more/less than the last batch? Is the bullet length slightly longer/shorter? The "Add Ammo" option allows you the most flexibility to input variances in all of the above and more.

I hope that helps.</div></div>

sounds good...thank you!

I downloaded this for my phone and I love the program. I have compared it to my past data and numbers are dead on. The interface is great. It contains very complex and complete information in a simple easy to use format. I do have a couple of suggestions:

On the page that you enter the data for a shot (distance, alt, temp, etc) the program says the lead angle must be between -90 and 90. On the solution page the lead controls will let you change to number to anything between 0-359.

On the solution page there is no easy way to zero out the look angle without returning to the input page.

On the table page it would be nice if key (range, path, drift, tof, etc) was pinned at the top so that when you scrolled up or down it would still be visible.

It would be a neat feature it there was a night display setting. Something like a black background with red font or similar.

Having night mode would be awesome! If you could easily toggle it from the opening screen (quick menu click and toggle button) and set the starting mode in preferences, that would be excellent.

Google Sky Map does an excellent job of this in their app. The screen is all black except for text and stars in red.

Hey just a small point I downloaded this program last week and noticed some discrepencies with the military ammo data.

118 Special Ball is 173 grain, not 172. I have to find my phone but there was something else, I'll post it shortly.

Overall this is a sweet program dude! Thanks!

Im asking a dumb question. I just downloaded and was playing around with the settings.

In regards to wind,
1. is it asking at what degree the wind is flowing from or to?
2, how do you read your 0 - 360 degrees from? am I as the shooter at 0 degrees?
3. are the degrees clockwise or counter?

thanks in advance. lood like a great app.

Your target is 0deg. A wind coming from your direct right would be 90deg, 270 would be your direct left. You can also put in a negative such as -90 for direct left.

If you prefer, you can use O'clock (enable in the Preferences).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your target is 0deg. A wind coming from your direct right would be 90deg, 270 would be your direct left. You can also put in a negative such as -90 for direct left.

If you prefer, you can use O'clock (enable in the Preferences).</div></div>

thank you sir for the quick response.
smile.gif
and thank you for a great app.
smile.gif

Sean,

is it ok if I take up some of your time,

I have two issues/questions.

first of, your shooter lite is gone from the Swedish market, have you recalled it or has been taken off for other reasons?

Second I am currently about to crack my phone, trick it to think that I am brittish so that I can buy your program, however I only run a 1.5 android, will I still be able to download and use it,

some one said that 1.6 was required however I think that someone was confused, you are at the 1.6-something version of the program.

Well since my phone took a dive I have lost the lite version to so currently I am flying blind a thing that I don´t care for.

Please tell me that I will be fine, the idea of getting a new phone just for this program has occured to me however costly it will be.

Best regards Chris

Scottish,

that reply of yours boosted me to get my HTC Hero updated,

now I run 2.1 android so I guess that should clear one hurdle.

Best regards Chris

Well I did the impossible,

I managed to buy a an app in Sweden,

Sean I now have the full version of your program.

I´ll spread the gospel over here.

After running at few old loads and a quite a few sims I have found a notation to make,

being all metric, most swedes are, I found that the the bullet data/library when opened will fill in a bullet lenght in inches in the slot for bullet lenght, instead of centimeters,

easily remedied by me and a calc I just wished to inform of the function.

Best regards

/Chris

Seankndy,

All I can say is, I am truly impressed!! Your work has been absolutely outstanding!! Thanks for everything you do!!

DK

Just downloaded the program. I am really liking it except one thing. I have a turret offset on my scope of .5mil high elevation. Helps me remeber my zeros the way things work out.
How do I set in that offset. When I put in elevation correction for .5 it really screwed things up. That wasn't it. anyone help?

So you're .5mil high at your zero? Put 1.8" for the Zero Height in the ammo profile (assuming 100yrds).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seankndy,

All I can say is, I am truly impressed!! Your work has been absolutely outstanding!! Thanks for everything you do!!

DK </div></div>
Thank you, sir

Downloaded this app for my HTC Hero this morning. Took it to the range with a .223. In put the information on the rifle, load, and weather conditions (straight from my kestrel). 565 Yards, hit 3 out of 4 times, was hitting top of target. Made an adjustment of 0.5 MOA down. My father hit 3 out of 3. Changed to 799 yards (both ranges where shot with a Leica Rangemaster 1200). Doped the rifle for 24.5 MOA and 0.75 MOA for wind. Hit way left, made the adjustment to 3.75 for wind and dad hit 2 out of 2. The only think I can think of is the bullet caught a lot more wind halfway down the range then we had at are shooting spot. Overall fantastic app, great price. Well worth the $10.

I see that I am now running 1.6.0.4 - but I do not see this version listed in the changelog or on the website?

-pd

I was looking for the same. A very minor update?

Just got out here to RO, and downloaded Shooter to try out. Great design, but I'm apparently too stupid to figure out the deal with inputing wind angle: at the initial target info screen, the box specifies 1-12 o'clock, but if I put in say, 2 (for 2 o'clock) when you hit Calculate it converts 2 o'clock into 2 degrees out of a 360 degree circle. So in essence I wind up putting in any random number just to get it to skip through to the calculations, and then have to put in an actual wind heading later. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this a bug?

Don't have a Kestrel
wink.gif

After using Shooter more today, I'm quite positive - when it originally asks for inputs, it will only accept an hours-value (1-12 exclusively). When you put in that value, and click Calculate, it then converts it into degrees - so suddenly your 9-o-clock 10mph wind turns into a nearly face-on wind unless you go back and re-edit the angle in the results screen itself.

SRT Supply,

On the screen you enter distance, atmosphere, etc. Does the Wind Angle input say Wind Angle (clock) ?

As of today, Google has opened up paid applications in the Market to the following countries:

Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Hong Kong, Ireland, Israel, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland and Taiwan

It may take a couple weeks before all of these places start seeing paid apps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SRT Supply,

On the screen you enter distance, atmosphere, etc. Does the Wind Angle input say Wind Angle (clock) ?</div></div>

It says "Wind Angle (o)" but when I put in a number (say, 90), and then hit Solution, it pops up an error message saying "Wind Angle Must Be Between 1 and 12 (o'clock)", and will only accept values 1-12. If I type in 6, it converts it from 6 o'clock (180 degrees) to 6 degrees.

Sean,

So I finally received a 4500NV with Bluetooth and have been playing with the combination of Shooter, the Shooter BT plugin, and the BT enabled Kestrel. It is a very slick setup, that's for sure.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I do have a few usability questions though.</span>
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">1. I have Shooter setup to use Density Altitude and Temperature. When I sync with the Kestrel, the DA and Temp values are imported correctly but the Altitude and Barometric pressure are not. I realize I don't need those variables with my setup but is there a reason the proper values are not sync'd?</span> <span style="color: #FF0000"> Looks like a restart of the Kestrel has solved this problem. Will keep an eye on it.</span>

2. When you sync Temperature, it only inputs the Temp value into the Atmospherics entry and not the Powder Temp entry. I know if you enter Temperature in the Atmospherics manually, it carries it over. Is it possible to have the BT sync also update both fields the same as when entered manually?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Also, a few future feature requests to think about for the BT plugin:</span>
1. I can envision this app allowing a bit more "selectability" for the user. For example, when I first sync and the values are displayed, have a quick selection checkbox to select which values you want sync'd. For example, it would be great to see the values that are pulled, and click the area to checkmark the item. When I click "Load" only those values are sync'd. The app would remember which selections for future sync attempts. This is good for when you want to pull atmospherics minus wind and handle that value manually.

2. It would be nice to have a small "sync status" icon at the very top. The Kestrel has 3 range modes and it is easy to lose sync if you are on the lowest setting to save battery. Thus, it would simply say "Bluetooth Status" and have a big green or red area for the status of the sync connection. When it's active, it's green. When it's not, it's red.

3. The issue of the Atmospherics Temp vs Powder Temp sync/not sync got me thinking. Another option here might be to standardize how a user interfaces the two Temp fields so that it is common across all input mechanisms. Perhaps you can have it only update the "Atmospherics Temp" at all times from all input methods and have a small "Sync" button next to "Powder Temp" that instantly copies the value from the Atmospherics. Otherwise a user simply enters it manually.

4. While not a feature request, this is worth a comment. Raise your Price! The app is definitely at a level that warrants $15-$20.

Also, I still have a weird lingering bug with the "Lead Angle" in clock mode. It still wants to always default to 3 rather than remember my latest preferred setting (which is 9).

I know the "Wind Angle" in clock remembers it and stays the same but the "Lead Angle" acts differently.

I downloaded this app a few months ago and played around with it some at short range. Well last week I got to use it at various targets out to 1180 yards and the dope was spot on for all the target distances. Great program!!

This is a great app. Have a couple questions.
When entering the zero data what do I enter for height? Is that scope height?
What do I enter for powder temp?
Thanks,
Mike

If you zero at 100, leave "elevation correction" at 1.

For scope height, measure from the centerline of the bore to the centerline of the scope. Input this value into "sight height". My surgeon action with Seekins low rings puts a 34mm S&B scope at 1.8" over the bore centerline. Yours will of course differ.

Powder temp can be entered in two different locations. The first is for the load velocities. Whatever temp the powder is at when you chrono your loads is what you enter for "powder temp" under the "muzzle velocity" entry.

The second powder temp is for your atmospherics. This allows you to enter current powder temp for the calculator to take into account muzzle velocity differences when temps are different from when chronographed. If you haven't mapped "MV variation" at all, then this entry doesn't matter.

I hope that helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, I still have a weird lingering bug with the "Lead Angle" in clock mode. It still wants to always default to 3 rather than remember my latest preferred setting (which is 9).

I know the "Wind Angle" in clock remembers it and stays the same but the "Lead Angle" acts differently. </div></div>

Yeah, the reason is because *really* there are only 2 options in Preferences. "Save Distance" and "Save Atmosphere".

Perhaps I should change this to "Save Last Inputs" as I think most people would want everything saved, thoughts?