• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

Re: Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

I agree.
It's convenient having Shooter on the phone I already use/carry.

I feel pretty lucky that Sean came up with this program just a few months after I purchased my Motorola Droid on the November launch day. This has been a very good phone, a far cry from the Razor I grew to hate withing 2 months of owning it. I folded that POS backwards and tossed it.

Mine keeps crashing as well. When I try to sync, it says the server connection is null.

Brad,

What version of Shooter are you running? If it's not 1.4.7, can you please upgrade and try again?

If you still get crashes, can you download the aLogCat app from the Market. Make Shooter crash then open up aLogCat and go to Menu->Send and send that output to [email protected] ?

Thank you!

As I was downloading aLogCat like you told the other guy, the new update for Shooter popped up. All is well and good now.

Thanks
Brad

Sean- I ran it this morning for a match and it crashed twice. I updated to the latest version this morning before the match. I reported 1 of the crashes.

Just FYI.

Guys, it crushed on me once a couple of updates ago and all I did was turn my phone off and back on... Never done it again!

I was just thinking it's probably a good idea to do that before a match.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sean- I ran it this morning for a match and it crashed twice. I updated to the latest version this morning before the match. I reported 1 of the crashes.

Just FYI. </div></div>
Were you in the Trajectory Table when it crashed both times? Are you able to reproduce the problem?

Eaglet- I'll try that.

Sean- Both times I was in the trajectory table, and it crashed when I was scrolling down through the table. It recreated it one time tonight when I scrolled through the table, when I tried to make a change by hitting the back arrow button on the DROID it tanked.

Just a heads up I get a force close evertime I try to send a table.

Never mind just seen a update and it fixed it! Thanks again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmpowder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a heads up I get a force close evertime I try to send a table.

</div></div>
Are you using v1.4.8?

what does the correction factor do under the rifle profiles? What is it correcting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: couesnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what does the correction factor do under the rifle profiles? What is it correcting? </div></div>
See FAQ @ http://sean.kndy.net/shooter/

I use it and it hasn't done me wrong. I used it on Sunday at the range the elevation was dead on out to 300 yards. Couldn't ask for more.

I'd like to see the graph separated from the table. I'd much prefer to have more rows viewable in the table than the table/graph buttons.

Also, I can readily reproduce a force-close event by viewing a graph, rotating, and rotating again while it says "loading"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joshn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also, I can readily reproduce a force-close event by viewing a graph, rotating, and rotating again while it says "loading" </div></div>

I just tried this as well and I'll second it.

Also, I crashed it again when I hit "table" and then started to scroll before the table was fully loaded.

I'm not sure if it's significant, but I'm using a motorola droid running a 2.2 ROM

Please try the latest update and let me know if you still get crashes.

I have a quick thing here. I keep my gps off on my phone to save the batt a little. When I open shooter it ask me to enable my gps and I click yes and it takes me to the security screen instead of the location screen. Just thought I should let you 5 guys I work with are now switching to Android phones just for your app! Keep up the great work.

Sean may be able to do something with the GPS function, or not.
I have no idea.

Here is a suggestion for you:
I have reserved one of my home screens to shooting.
I added the "Power Control" widget at the top of the screen.
The widget gives you instant access to GPS and brightnes controls. Below that add "Shooter", and "GPS Status".
GPS Status can be used to lay out a shooting range on open land...or just calculate distance between two points.
Also add the Calculator, and maybe Mototorch...for low light flashlight capability.

This keeps all the tools on a single screen. Just move to the shooting screen, touch the GPS button on the power control, and touch Shooter. When you exit shooter you can turn off the GPS with one touch.

You could even add the Metal Detector tool......handy of you are shooting with newbies who are not muzzle-conscious. Of course you will need a dull knife and a bottle of whiskey if you want to dig out the bullets after you locate them.
laugh.gif

Great idea! Just set mine up like that. It never was a big deal for me, but I know how some people will knock the App for something small like that so I just thought I would mention it.

Can anyone tell me what the Litz is in the bullet library?
(ex. 40gr vmax and then there is a 40gr vmax litz?)

Bryan Litz is a well known and respected ballistician who was involved in the developement of Shooter....though I could not tell you the extent of his involvement. He is also a member of this site and has posted in this thread. He is also the author of at least one book on ballistics and I believe the book contains his ballistics data.
I have been meaning to pick up a copy of the book....have not got around to it, yet.

The items marked "Litz" in the library use his coefficient data rather than data from the bullet manufacturers.

The Droid X is out today and only has virtual keyboards. Anyone having issues with this program and a device that does not have a physical keyboard?

Thanks in advance -

John~

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Droid X is out today and only has virtual keyboards. Anyone having issues with this program and a device that does not have a physical keyboard?

Thanks in advance -

John~ </div></div>

Not an issue whatsoever. I was in your same boat once, a tried and true, must have a physical keyboard or won't buy it type. I stuck with Blackberrys and Palm Treos far too long sticking to this mantra.

On a whim, I decided to try out the HTC EVO which doesn't have a keyboard and started learning one handed typing with the virtual keyboard and now Swype. Upon discovering Swype, a physical keyboard is a thing of the past and don't miss it in the slightest. What you gain in screen size more than makes up for any reduction in typing speed during the learning curve. Now I'm faster on Swype than my blackberry and can maintain speed one handed much better.

And Shooter works very well with any virtual keyboard that I have played with.

I've only used shooter with the virtual keyboard on my DROID, it works well that way.

My fingers are a little too big for the physical keyboard on the phone, it's faster for me to use the touchscreen instead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've only used shooter with the virtual keyboard on my DROID, it works well that way.

My fingers are a little too big for the physical keyboard on the phone, it's faster for me to use the touchscreen instead. </div></div>

I was having the same problem but with both keyboards, the virtual and the physical. One of my sons had just bought the HTC EVO 4G and what I liked the most was how big the on screen keyboard was... so... I was within a month of having upgraded my 2 years contract, went back and yup! I got me the EVO. Big mama!

If it's not to difficult...

...could you add Hornady's .264 123grain AMAX to the bullet library.

I use this program over my desktop programs...just rocks...thanks

Respectfully,

--KJ

..well I just read all (13) pages....good thing my Verizon 2 year renewal is up on August 2nd!!

..this will be my first app for my new Droid X......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5WSSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..well I just read all (13) pages....good thing my Verizon 2 year renewal is up on August 2nd!!

..this will be my first app for my new Droid X...... </div></div>
Verizon has a special deal for the Droid X going on right now. If your contract expires anytime this year, you can upgrade to the Droid X early. I think this is going on through August.

just bought a droid and purchased your app, it wont let me install it though???!

ok I was able to download your reticle ranger app aswell as a few other apps from other people, but shooter has been pay'd for, and I cant install it or get a refund..... I sent you an email sean from my phone, is there anythng wrong with the app right now preventing it from being downloaded?
Thanks
-Felipe

Savage110,

PM me your order number or name so I can check and see if anything failed.

I was the one who emailed you just now, looks like I gotta update some stuff on my account, thanks for the help...
-Felipe

Quick question for everyone. I'm running a Droid X and downloaded the software yesterday.

I have setup my first rifle and the ammunition and have selected MIL / MIL & 1/10 / 1/10

When I enter the atmo data and select solution the MIL column and click column in the HUD show (0), but the MOA and iphy all show data.

I went in and selected MOA MOA and the same thing happens but this time MIL and iphy show data and not MOA????

Seems the desired scope calibration wont show up in the HUD.. Any ideas???

Thanks,

john~

JFG,

What do you have in the Elevation/Windage Correction fields (in the firearm profile) ?

0.0 and 0.0 as I don't have a true calibration on the scope yet.

Seankndy -

Noticed where you were going and changed to 1.0 & 1.0 -

Appropriate fields are now running -

Very much appreciated sir~

john

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">0.0 and 0.0 as I don't have a true calibration on the scope yet. </div></div>
That is why. Change those both to 1 instead of 0.

The correction is the factor. So it takes the correction, say 5mils and multiplies it by those correction values.

I can see why someone would make this mistake, and in the next release I will make it assume 1 if 0 is inputted.

Can't ask for more than that!

Appreciate the program and the work-

best,

john

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5WSSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..well I just read all (13) pages....good thing my Verizon 2 year renewal is up on August 2nd!!

Verizon has a special deal for the Droid X going on right now. If your contract expires anytime this year, you can upgrade to the Droid X early. I think this is going on through August. </div></div>

Not always true.

My renew-for-2 comes up in November, yet I was not allowed to to get an early upgrade from my Motorola Droid to the X.
One store told me the offer was only for non-business accounts.
For fun, I stopped by another store and they told me the upgrade was only offered to those customers who did not already have a "smart" phone.
I called Verizon and got a third story....no early upgrade for me because I was not on a plan that cost enough per-month....I think they said it had to be more than $79.00 per month.

Glad I got that cleared up for you all.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5WSSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..well I just read all (13) pages....good thing my Verizon 2 year renewal is up on August 2nd!!

You enjoy torture, huh?
laugh.gif

Great App. Coming from WinMo using Loadbase and Exbal I can say this fits the bill on the Android platform quite nicely.

That being said, I can think of one thing I would like to see in a future release - the ability to save/restore information to local storage in addition to the online capability.

Internet/data access is not always available, and/or we may be inadvertently doing a death grip on our devices killing the signal...

-pd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ptd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That being said, I can think of one thing I would like to see in a future release - the ability to save/restore information to local storage in addition to the online capability.
</div></div>

Shooter already does this. It automatically saves your load information locally on the device. You only have the option for a "cloud" backup if you would like to.

Assuming that your device goes down, having a local backup solution only would lead to a disastrous conclusion. The cloud backup is the best solution here to protect against your locally stored info disappearing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ptd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Shooter already does this. It automatically saves your load information locally on the device. You only have the option for a "cloud" backup if you would like to.

Assuming that your device goes down, having a local backup solution only would lead to a disastrous conclusion. The cloud backup is the best solution here to protect against your locally stored info disappearing. </div></div>

I meant as a simple backup/restore to SD card. I sync the SD card to the laptop on occasion to backup misc docs, images, apps, etc on a fairly regular basis...

-pd

hey can anyone help me find this on my samsung moment with the android technology i downloaded the reticel ranger app but cannot seem to find the shooter lite app anymore, i had this on my phone but i wasnt working properly for me, now i cant find it when i search anymore can anyone fill me in what im doing wrong or if there was a change and it got removed?

Check the version of Android your phone is running.
You must have version 1.6 or higher to run Shooter.