• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

Re: Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sean;
Damn you are quick with the updates!
laugh.gif

One small suggestion.....
I noticed that the wind speed and direction returns to zero when I stop and start the app.

Those who know they are shooting in no wind, or wind requiring no adjustment, know to only dial elevation and leave windage at their zero. On my last pocket device, a Palm running pocket-PSSF, I left the wind at a default of 10MPH and 90 degrees.
This allowed me to always know the adjustments for 10/90 and I could halve(for 5MPH) or double it(for 20MPH) in my head when I needed a different value for correction..in a hurry.

I don't know if this will be popular with everyone, but I found it a useful tool. </div></div>
I hear ya. When I make the atmospheric conditions saved on every enter, it will allow you to set that to 10/90 and it will always come up that way (until you were to change it).

Of course....I should have thought of that. Good call.

I edited my last post to include a note about default distance.

I just noticed....the last update included the updates to the range calculator. Very cool.

You can now enter the actual linear size of an object in a default of inches, feet, yards, or meters.....then enter apparent size of the object in the default of IPHY, MOA, or Mils....and get a distance. Simple, easy, slick.

Great job!!!!!!!!

Strange....
The range calc keeps defaulting to mil reticle.
I can select IPHY reticle, and get a result that is close to correct, but not quite....and when I try to "calc" another solution i find it has defaulted to Mil reticle again. It is not reaming IPHY as default and the solution is slightly off.

When I enter a 12" object with apparent size of 2 IPHY, I get 595 yards as a solution instead of 600.

I'll fix that (actually it already is now ;p). The distance calc will default to mils when opened. Like the atmospheric conditions, it doesn't store your selections. I defaulted to mils because I think most people who will be using that calc too will be doing it with their mildot reticle.

Excellent, seankndy. Thanks for your work. Use of the accelerometer is pretty slick.

Suggestions -

-Add ability to save a "complete" profile. Eg. distance/altitude/humidity/wind
-For me at least, real-time atmospheric data is cool but not terribly useful. The closest weather data collection centers are quite a ways from where you shoot. Though it may be better than nothing.
-Add distance in meters
-Add ability to add/remove columns. velocity, energy, and tof arn't really needed most of the time. And you could increase font size by removing them.
-option to disable screen timeout
-adjustable distance increments. And the yard-by-yard display is need, but probably a little too granular. Plus it takes up a lot of valuable rows
-make use of the volume rocker somehow. Maybe to scroll the table? If you're wearing gloves, you have to take them off to scroll. Or, I suppose you could use your tongue
smile.gif

-a 'flick' view, to be able to flick your distance and wind like on the iphone/touch ballistic program(s).
-an easier way to adjust wind properties than going back to the profile. Maybe display the set speed and angle on the table, and a touch/hold to pop up a list of different variables.
-add a donation version

You're off to a very good start.

I agree with rafael about the default wind speed. 10/90 seems to be a good default. I use the same "system" as him, half for 5mph, double for 20mph.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joshn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
-Add ability to add/remove columns. velocity, energy, and tof arn't really needed most of the time. And you could increase font size by removing them.
-make use of the volume rocker somehow. Maybe to scroll the table? If you're wearing gloves, you have to take them off to scroll. Or, I suppose you could use your tongue
smile.gif

-a 'flick' view, to be able to flick your distance and wind like on the iphone/touch ballistic program(s).
-an easier way to adjust wind properties than going back to the profile. Maybe display the set speed and angle on the table, and a touch/hold to pop up a list of different variables.
-add a donation version

You're off to a very good start. </div></div>

Sean has said he wants to stay with the chart. His call since he is the one doing the work.
He had the chart full of linear drop data which I thought was totaly usless.
Knowing the drop in inches at each yardage was certainly less useful than the velocity, energy, and TOF. The first verion had those items, so I suggested going back to them over the linear drop data.
TOF can help with moving targets.

I figured someone would want distance in meters.
laugh.gif

The automatic atmos data might help sometimes, but like you I have seen times when would not be helpful.

Tha volume control would make a great adjustment device, I was thinking the same thing.
I was also thinking the camera button would be nice for locking in the angle measurement.

Windage adjustment would be nice too.

Donation? Certainly...I would donate in a heartbeat.

Sean;
I just ran numbers for my standard 308 and 223 loads against Quickload and they are within a few tenth of one IPHY.
Data looks pretty good so far.

As for the rangefinder......sure, we can manually switch to anything other than Mils. Just thought it would make using it easier. Easy seems to be the goal, after all.
laugh.gif

I really like the program so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was also thinking the camera button would be nice for locking in the angle measurement.</div></div>

I knew this would be an issue. Its hard to get the angle, hold steady, and hit the Hold button. My idea for a solution would be after there is less than 3 degrees of movement for 5 seconds, it would grab degrees and close. So this means you could hold it at your angle, keep it steady for 5 seconds, and it would lock it.

I'm not sure if you can override the global volume/camera functions like that. I'll have to look into it.

I know that the volume and cam buttons serve differently when an alarm is sounding. Not sure that means they are accessible to apps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure if you can override the global volume/camera functions like that. I'll have to look into it. </div></div>

I know you can use the volume. The dolphin browser uses it for page up/down.

I'm not sure about the camera button. I think it may be somewhat harder to re-direct.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sean;
As for the rangefinder......sure, we can manually switch to anything other than Mils. Just thought it would make using it easier. Easy seems to be the goal, after all.
laugh.gif
</div></div>
I have it auto-selecting whatever elevation adjustment unit you have set in the profile now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sean has said he wants to stay with the chart. His call since he is the one doing the work.</div></div>
I am by no means ignoring any of the ideas being posted here. My goal is to create an app that meets needs of most. In the end, I'll probably need to add more "settings" so each user can tweak shit to their liking.

Not many shooters here have a phone with Android (I'm assuming), but I'd like to know from anyone who does what their *most* wanted feature is. Like I said, the suggestions so far are great and I am considering all of them for inclusion in some way or another, but I want to prioritize. What's the program really lacking that would be the most useful.

Seankndy,

Just wanted to let you know that you are doing a kick ass job on this. It is nice to see an "update available" every time I turn my phone on. That tells me that you are listening to the end users and making changes to better serve them. Excellent work.

Rafael above has made many excellent suggestions. And I agree with about 99% of them. I had a few similar suggestions that Rafael made but I didn't want to bombard you with too much info all at once. That and I was unsure of the software limitations. However, Raf addressed all of them and did a better job of explaining them too. Kudos to both of you.

With the new updates, the only changes I would personally like to see is the chart in larger font for use in bright sunlight with only the the Path, Drift, and ToF visible in the portrait screen. Then if turned tot he the landscape screen, one or two of the remaining columns could be seen.

Along with these ideas by Raf,
"The ability to enter a different distance, wind value, wind direction, and possibly even shot angle, quickly and get the output data for that single solution is much more important."

"Scrolling those choices, the ability to increment and decrement single units via up/down keys or the like, would be faster than messing with the keybord as well. This also makes it easy to check dope for slight input corrections."

Also as mentioned above, highlighting one of the data lines to bring up the solution at the top would be a nice feature also. These small changes in addition to atmospheric conditons being "remembered" would make this app just about perfect.

Again, you are doing a great job of listening and thanks for all your hard work.

CM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sean has said he wants to stay with the chart. His call since he is the one doing the work.</div></div>
I am by no means ignoring any of the ideas being posted here. My goal is to create an app that meets needs of most. In the end, I'll probably need to add more "settings" so each user can tweak shit to their liking.

Not many shooters here have a phone with Android (I'm assuming), but I'd like to know from anyone who does what their *most* wanted feature is. Like I said, the suggestions so far are great and I am considering all of them for inclusion in some way or another, but I want to prioritize. What's the program really lacking that would be the most useful. </div></div>

No need to defend your position, Sean. This is your software with your name on it. It should not deviate from your vision of what it should be. I hope I did not come across a disrespectful or lacking appreciation.
You have given we Android users a great program to utilize, certianly more advanced than anything else for this platform.

When someone asks my opinion, I tend to stick to my vision of what I would like.
It's selfish, but then selfishness keeps everyones goals out in the open. I would rather know what the other guy is thinking. If he or I withhold opinions, niether of us learns anything.
You are doing the same and I respect that.

Center Mass and I seem to be of the same mind on alot of this....but then we are only 2 of the many potential users.

I think there are those who want to see a table, but that is more often a desire of novices or for viewing when you are not out shooting.
Some users, novices and experts, only use these programs to create a written or printed chart....to be thier only resource when actually shooting. For what its worth..... I don't consider myself an expert, nor a novice. I fall somewhere in that massive area between the two.......closer to novice than expert.

Many of us already own exterior ballistics programs for the PC. I own three or four.
If I want printed data, I prefer to prepare it on the desktop PC where the keyboard, mouse, and printer make much better use of my time. I prefer to leave the pocket device for those times I am away from my desktop, especially at the range. This is where real-time adjustments are required for range/wind.

Because of that, I prefer an output screen with data for the upcoming shot and nothing else, with the ability to quickly and easily adjust variables. The option of a table is still nice, but were I the author I would make that a separate and optional screen that can be selected from an earlier menu.
Atmospheric data other than wind need not be on this screen as it does not change greatly between shots.

My preference when shooting is for a single screen with yardage adjustments, wind speed and direction(possibly in clock-hours) adjustments, angle adjustments in degrees(preferred since you gave us a tool for determing angle) or cosine. Including options for a moving targets speed and direction (in clock-hours) would be pretty sweet as well.
Preference would be for the largest font possible to make it easy to get the info quickly and without confusion, hence getting rid of the table. I still really like the idea of non-preferred angular data appearing in a smaller font than the primary angular choice.......it just makes alot of sense to have this available.

It's easy to sit here and list all of our wants.
laugh.gif

Execution is the hard part. I wish I had the ability and education.

Cheers to you for taking us up to the point you have. The program is pretty damn nice!

I would have paid for it, way better than ballcalc! Thanks a ton for the time and effort you spent on this.

Very nice app, thanks.

I'm interested to know what real-world results have been for you guys?

I had my buddy (one of the guys at powderriverpredators.com) give me ballistics data for one of his rifles/rounds and tell me what his MOA adjustments are at 400 yards. I entered all the ballistics info he gave me and said he knows to adjust 4.25 MOA at 400 yards with that rifle/load. The app calculated 4.26 MOA. I was pretty happy with that result. The most important thing with the application is that it provides accurate results that actually work for you in the field. Have any of you taken it out and tested it? What were the results?

Four hundred yards is too short a distance to yield meaningful information.

A useful thing to do with respect to evaluating ballistic programs is to shoot a long distance - with a .308, I use 1000 yards - and record the exact conditions and data for the shots.

Note that muzzle velocity is a function of temperature, so you need to know how your load responds to temperature changes.

Once done, you have a benchmark which you can use to evaluate ballistic programs.

Nota bene: the notion that any ballistic program will give you precise dope at longer ranges is naive and simplistic. See:

Sources of Ballistic Program Inaccuracies

Sean;
A few posts back I stated that I had compared output to my output from another program.

The data I compared to was for my 308 running 175SMK at 2694fps, up to 1000 yard data.
I had made notes on that printout for the date, condition, and real-world data....which happened to be dead on for the days shoot. My data is rarely "dead-on", but I had made a few trips tweaking the variables each time....finally resulting in a day when everything agreed. This was verified data.... and your program came up with the same result. My 308 is down at the moment, need to re-chamber. Will see if I have time to fire up the lathe and get it done, but the 1000 yard range I have access to takes some planning with others to make it happen.

As far as I am concerned I have compared it to shooting results and it agrees with them.

Per Lindy's suggestion, I really need to get out there at different teperatures to verify it tracks well with temp changes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Four hundred yards is too short a distance to yield meaningful information.</div></div>
He also gave me 1,000yd adjustment and it too was right on. I put in our elevation and what temp he thought it was (mid 40s) when he was dialing in. Not "perfect", but it still gave very similar results to what he was expecting.

I just wanted to say thanks again. It is truly a fantastic program.

I just have three wishes:

1. Save wind settings (10/90)

2. Use either the timeout feature or camera button feature to lock angle.

3. It would be cool to see the distance be saved, so that when I select a profile, it goes strait into the chart and the angle finder could be integrated into the chart somehow.

The GPS feature would be cool as well, is there a way to configure it to read out atmosphere info from the closest weather station, but get elevation from your actual location via a topo map??

I just uploaded an upgrade. Check it out and give feedback on some re-organization. If it proves to be less helpful than before, just let me know.

I did set the default wind to 10/90. Still haven't built the piece to save atmospheric/range input, but will soon.

Thanks, Sean!

I like this better....faster to make alterations.
The range tool now sticks to IPHY, and seem to have lost that slight error it was giving.

Would still like to see alt/temp/pressure/humidity moved to another screen to cut down confusion and get rid of the need to scroll when the soft KB is open, or when in landscape.
Would prefer wind direction in Clock-hours(9 O-clock).
Is there a way to make it auto calculate anytime a variable is changed?
Also, can the table be invoked via the phones menu button rather than taking up room on the screen?

You have to scroll? Even when on-screen key is open, it should auto-scroll you to the solution soon as you hit compute.

I could make it auto-calc when something is changed, but that could get annoying for 2 reasons.

First, that isn't really effective unless you have a number picker with up/down arrows or like a slot-wheel to flip to desired value (on iPhone) because the only way to tell the user is done entering input is if he clicks out of the input box. So you'd have to enter your new value, then click out to some other box to start the calculation. So that click-out might as well be pressing the "Compute" button -- no difference in number of clicks.

Second, if you need to make a couple changes, it will be calcing in-between when you're trying to make a change.

I like the idea of wind using clock-hours. In the last release, I did add support for using negative angle. So -90 = 270, -45 = 315, etc. (Another user requested that). Also, I agree that separating alt/pres/humidity/temp makes sense.

You really hate the range table, don't you? :p I have other users emailing me requests and such as well. Many are after just the range table itself. I don't wanna hide it too much.

I have bigger visions for the program. Separating the range table and quick solution was the temporary answer to user's requests. It allows for quicker adjustments of solution and more room for info in the range table. This should appease both parties more than the previous versions. However, I'd like to have something more like the HUD display on the Ballistic app for iPhone. Very easy to make quick adjustments with a layout like that. Also graphs for trajectory and even multiple profiles on one graph to compare trajectory between your loads or rifles/loads.

It's an evolutionary process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..............You really hate the range table, don't you? :p I have other users emailing me requests and such as well. Many are after just the range table itself. I don't wanna hide it too much.
It's an evolutionary process. </div></div>

laugh.gif
LOL
Glad you have a sense of humor.

To be serious, I don't "hate" it but I do think it would not be missed if it were fairly detached from the single-solution screen.
I do realize I am just one user, and I don't think for a second that I am somehow the sole judge of your software or that I speak for others. I am just the pain in the ass guy who has annoyed you by not going away. Damned end-users.
laugh.gif

I guess it comes down to a different vision, as you put it.
If you ever read Ayn Rands "The Fountainhead"; I would not label myself your Mr. Twohy since I am bucking the status-quo by wanting to deviate from the normally accepted table. I am however commiting the sin of trying to force my views on you. I am torn. LOL

I am most certainly trying to push my goal of one-screen adjustment and solution. Though I may not be very diplomatic about it. Please excuse my bullheadedness......it's a flaw.

The program is working as you said: scolling down to the result.
This action hides the distance and angle though, and I would prefer to see the most dynamic variables while viewing output, just to be sure I am looking at the result I wanted. Dynamic variables would be defined by me as: distance, angle, wind direction, wind speed, target direction and speed. Seeing these in the same screen as the output lets one do a quick double-check of them. I like to verify before I squeeze off the shot.

I have not seen the iPhone app, but for a few screenshots posted here. I do believe it works the way you describe. I have never seen program outputting solution in all three popular units of angular measurement. Yours is unique in that, I believe. Neat feature, especailly when prioritized by font-size.

Autocalcualtion would free up screen space, possible allowing for full view of all the data I am aiming for. What about showing all that data on the output screen, the screen one would normally be in, and then having a single button next to each variable that brings you to an entry screen just for that variable? This leaves plenty of room for the soft-keyboard and the data entry.
This would allow full viewing of dynamic variables AND solution without causing one to scroll.
I am not a fan of scrolling.
laugh.gif

As an optional item, graphs would be pretty nice and the ability to plot various trajectories together would be very interesting.

You have to please alot of people, for sure.
It may be a heck of alot of work to make it do everything for everyone.
You are in a tough spot there.

I say you just make it my way and screw the rest....they don't really matter!
laugh.gif

Sean;
I have been playing with your latest release.
It works better than the previous version, for my needs anyway.

Question....
Can you trigger the soft-keyboard to close when you hit the "Compute Solution" button?
This would make for less scrolling.

It already opens nicely when you touch a field you wish to modify.

What do you think the best way to handle atmosphere is? After you select your profile on the very first screen, should you then be able to select a saved "atmosphere" profile or enter one on-the-fly, then be taken to dist/angle/wind screen?

I have been trying to figure that one out and it leaves me feeling like an idiot.

The only idea I had was to have an intermediate screen before or after load selection.....this screen containing "more static" atmospheric data. I would be reluctant to place any more buttons on the output screen. I guess it could be a separate screen accessed by the hard "menu" button?

Your idea sounds good.....
Start program, then select load, this brings you into the "more-static" atmospheric data entry screen which has one large button to proceed to output screen? The static atmoshperic screen would save your last updates to it.?. This forces you to take a quick look for atmospheric data that may need correction but gives you a quick way to move on to the final screen.

One more thought....

Can you have the last distance entered remain as the default?
This makes it easy to bring the phone out of sleep and still have the solution visible. It would also help those who use the table since they might as well just enter the furthest distance the need and scroll to the desired solution for other ranges.

Thinking more on the output screen(single solution):

I like having the buttons at the bottom like you have them.
It seems more natural for the elevation and windage solution to be at the top. Distance and angle right below that.
Wind speed/dir in the left or right of the middle of the screen.
This would leave the other side of the middle portion for the "soon to be released" update to add moving-target direction and speed.....as soon as we can talk you into it.
laugh.gif

You tired of me talking yet?
laugh.gif

If you can make the "compute" function automatic, upon updating any entry, that button could become an "Atmospheric" access button for semi-static data entry screen.

I, too like the updated version better.

For atmospheric data, I'd think it makes sense to have it as a menu option in the current data screen.

Wow, I just came across this thread. Since getting rid of my iPhone and moving to the Android platform the only thing I've missed is a decent ballistics program. Shooter is a great start, and it's worlds better than anything else I've found on the Android platform. Keep up the great work, and I really look forward to updates and improvements in the future!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Start program, then select load, this brings you into the "more-static" atmospheric data entry screen which has one large button to proceed to output screen?</div></div>

When you open up shooter you see all your profiles. You can select one, and instantly move to the "Current Data" screen where you enter both target and atmospheric parameters. So it's 2 steps. What I'm proposing is a 3 step process. You select your ballistics profile, then select atmospheric profile, then enter range/angle/wind. On the screen where you select your atmosphere profile, you could simply select a saved profile and move to target/wind screen, or "Add Profile" (just like on the screen before) or select an option to enter the data one time only as sometimes you won't have a saved "atmosphere profile" and you just need to enter the atmosphere data in your current condition (in that case, it would be 4 steps: ballistics profile->one time entry->atmospheric data->target/wind data).

It's just a thought. Altitude/Temp/Pressure/Humidity may be too volatile to have "saved" profiles and perhaps simply saving your last atmosphere input is a better idea. The benefit to saved atmosphere profiles is your range/angle/wind screen would be simple and uncluttered.

Make sense?

Your thoughts...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, I just came across this thread. Since getting rid of my iPhone and moving to the Android platform the only thing I've missed is a decent ballistics program. Shooter is a great start, and it's worlds better than anything else I've found on the Android platform. Keep up the great work, and I really look forward to updates and improvements in the future! </div></div>
Thanks, man. What did you use on your iPhone? What made you switch?

I've heard this a few times from users... that the current program is "a great start", but I am interested to know what you find is lacking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One more thought....

This makes it easy to bring the phone out of sleep and still have the solution visible. It would also help those who use the table since they might as well just enter the furthest distance the need and scroll to the desired solution for other ranges. </div></div>
If you calculate a solution and the phone's display turns off, when you turn it back on, you should see exactly what you seen before you turned it off (which is the data you had entered and the solution).

If you're just referring to saving the last range entered so the next time you start up shooter it has your previous range pre-entered -- yes, that can be done (of course).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, I just came across this thread. Since getting rid of my iPhone and moving to the Android platform the only thing I've missed is a decent ballistics program. Shooter is a great start, and it's worlds better than anything else I've found on the Android platform. Keep up the great work, and I really look forward to updates and improvements in the future! </div></div>
Thanks, man. What did you use on your iPhone? What made you switch?

I've heard this a few times from users... that the current program is "a great start", but I am interested to know what you find is lacking.
</div></div>

I used Ballistic on my iPhone. I switched just because I liked the open source nature of the Android platform more, and the features like the built in voice guided navigation and all.

Some things I'd like to see:

The option to show the ballistics chart both ascending and descending.
The option to keep the header row as you scroll down the chart. (so you can see the column titles)
The option to set your increments on the chart.

Like I said though, this is a massive improvement over anything else available on the Android platform.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Start program, then select load, this brings you into the "more-static" atmospheric data entry screen which has one large button to proceed to output screen?</div></div>

When you open up shooter you see all your profiles. You can select one, and instantly move to the "Current Data" screen where you enter both target and atmospheric parameters. So it's 2 steps. What I'm proposing is a 3 step process. You select your ballistics profile, then select atmospheric profile, then enter range/angle/wind. On the screen where you select your atmosphere profile, you could simply select a saved profile and move to target/wind screen, or "Add Profile" (just like on the screen before) or select an option to enter the data one time only as sometimes you won't have a saved "atmosphere profile" and you just need to enter the atmosphere data in your current condition (in that case, it would be 4 steps: ballistics profile->one time entry->atmospheric data->target/wind data).

It's just a thought. Altitude/Temp/Pressure/Humidity may be too volatile to have "saved" profiles and perhaps simply saving your last atmosphere input is a better idea. The benefit to saved atmosphere profiles is your range/angle/wind screen would be simple and uncluttered.

Make sense?

Your thoughts... </div></div>

I am doubting that multiple atmosphere "profile"'s is a helpful thing. I have been trying to think of a situation when it could be useful....coming up blank.
I do think that a separate screen for this data is needed, so a single "weather" profile would work.....just don't bother allowing anyone to add additional profiles. This keeps all that semi-static data off the final screen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One more thought....

This makes it easy to bring the phone out of sleep and still have the solution visible. It would also help those who use the table since they might as well just enter the furthest distance the need and scroll to the desired solution for other ranges. </div></div>
If you calculate a solution and the phone's display turns off, when you turn it back on, you should see exactly what you seen before you turned it off (which is the data you had entered and the solution).

If you're just referring to saving the last range entered so the next time you start up shooter it has your previous range pre-entered -- yes, that can be done (of course). </div></div>

Yes, you are correct....I need to get it straight in my mind...the difference between switching programs and closing them.
This is more vague in Android than any other platform I have used.

Lastly, yes....saving the last range entered would be sweet. The ability to open the program to exactly the same settings it had when you left it has no negative aspects to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

It's by far the best ballistic program for android. Its not lacking anything to be very usable. However I, for one, would like a slot machine style flick your distance/wind/angle display, similar to that on the knights armament program.

seankndy,

Keep up the good work, it's coming along nicely. As mentioned above, this app is not lacking at all, it just needs tweeked a little for faster, simpler use. I have been working a lot lately but hopefully sometime next week, I'll be able to put it through it's paces on the range.

You guys lost me a little with all the different terms and ideas flying around but here is a little more input. I like the solution at the bottom of the input page for speed purposes but it was also good at the top of the chart. Maybe allow both. Remembering the atmospheric conditions and last entered range/wind data would be perfect. As far as putting the atmospheric condition in the profile, don't think that works so hot. While they are "more static" they will change within a couple of hours. A separate input screen between the profiles and range/wind, in my opinion, would be ideal.

And did someone say something about moving target leads!!!
laugh.gif

Personally, I like the chart for find different dope quickly but as mentioned before, the font is too small to be useful. The chart also has too much info on it. In the field, not many of us care about energy or velocity. However, ToF can be used to find moving target leads and obviously drop (mil/moa) and drift (mil/moa)are mandatory.

I do have one question though. The last update I got was the one that moved to solution to the bottom of the input page, was this the last one?? Seems like my phone doesn't always notify me when an update is available.

CM

I just uploaded a small upgrade. The only changes are organizing the target dist/angle to be inline to make more room for the solution so you have less scrolling and auto-closing soft keyboard on computation. Also, a larger font size for the range table.

I know you guys want dist/atmosphere to be saved as well as some other fairly simple additions -- I will implement those. I'll save some bigger changes for version 2.0. For now, this should be a little better for you guys. On my Droid, I can now compute a solution and still see all the inputs so I don't have to scroll at all. I also can see the range table much easier with the larger font.

Nice work, Sean!
Works just as you described.
This has become an easy to use and well featured ballistics app!

Been playing with it for a while now.

This program rocks!
I am really liking it now, best PDA ballistics app I have used to date.

Thanks, Rafael. I don't really see what has made it so awesome to you as of now, though?
smile.gif
I appreciate the positive feedback. I like how it has turned out so far as well, but I aim to implement several more features to make it a more full-featured portable ballistics/shooting app.