• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

Re: Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

Sean,
You said to say something about GPS feature. I am in Margate, FL Google earth gives me an Altitude of 9 feet above sea level, the phone is telling me that I am -125 (below sea level).

Any ideas? By the way thank you very much for the program, incredibly helpful!!

Well, since you're using a computer, a reasonable person might well conclude that you're not actually under water...
laugh.gif

Kidding aside, the elevations reported by GPS receivers are often in error.

It's not an error of much significance to a ballistic calculation, though. A hundred feet more or less makes little difference, being equivalent in atmospheric pressure to about a tenth of an inch of mercury.

Thanks for the app! Once I get going deeper into long range shooting I am sure I will love this.

How does this program pull the atmospheric conditions? Is there a app that we can download to make it pull the weather everytime? Sometimes it will pull it on mines and sometimes it wont.

Thanks again Sean for all your hard work on this program and everyone else that is contributing.

When you're not seeing the atmosphere appear, is your satellite icon at the top blinking? If it is, it's still trying to get a fix from the satellite. Sometimes it takes longer than others.

I don't think I have ever noticed the satellite icon on the top of the phone...

Try adding the power widget to your phones home screen.
From a home screen that has some free space:
Touch the menu button at the bottom of the phone and touch "add".
Then touch "Widgets", the scroll down and touch the "Power Control" widget.

This adds a very nice bar giving great control over GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi, Sync, and screen brightness.

I finally got out to the range to try this app out this weekend and I was very surprised with how well it worked.

I fiddled with it a bit at the 500 yard range then switched over to 1000 yards and was able to put my first shot into a chest sized piece of paper based just on what the program was telling me.

The features are very well thought out and about the only thing I can think to sugest would be a crosswind calculator using the phone's compass (IE: point into the wind, point at target).

An impressive app at a price no one can complain with!

Starvin,

I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with the application. I am close to being done with the next version which I actually will be charging for, but not too much!
wink.gif

Here are some things to look forward to:

- It's cleaner looking and misc improvements to the interface
- HUD solution screen to quickly adjust distance/wind/wind angle and auto-recompute your solutions
- Better atmosphere calculations and more understandable atmosphere input
- Generally more precise calculations
- Supports spin drift and coriolis effect.
- Ability to specify "clicks" of your scope for adjustments
- Supports a correction factor if your scope as proven to be a little off with adjustments
- Rifle and ammo profiles are now separated so you don't have to keep entering your rifle data if you shoot more than one kind of load through your rifle.

All of that looks great. I'm glad to see all of the new features. Good thing you are going to make a little on it too. You deserve it for your hard work and taking others considerations in improving the program. It is a great tool to have in the field.

Sean: thanks for the ap. I am still learning about it but I like it. Good luck.
Brad

I guess its time to buy a new phone! I've never used a phone for anything but phone calls and texting, but this I would use all the time. Just to be sure, android and droid are basically the same? That might seem like a stupid question to some, but I'm still using a Razor, haha

Thanks a bunch for writing this app for us!!!

Sean, I'll definately be buying the premium version when it comes out. I appreciate all the work you've put into this program.

Dragon, as mentioned Android is just the OS. The Motorola Droid is one of the high end phones. If you do get one I'd recomend one that uses Android 2.0 or higher (right now that'd be the Droid or the Google/HTC Nexus One, but there are more on the way) as it'll be a bit more future proof.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Starvin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sean, I'll definately be buying the premium version when it comes out. I appreciate all the work you've put into this program.</div></div>
Thanks, Starvin. The new versions should be out very soon.

Updated free version and full version are now available in the market. Please give any feedback and enjoy!

Someone posted that their upgrade on the free version failed. I haven't had this experience, but if any of you do, please let me know what version of Shooter you were running prior to the upgrade. Thanks!

Thanks for providing us with such an awesome Android app!

I just upgraded the free version and I don't see any option to use GPS for atmospheric conditions. Did that get moved to the premium version?

The full version is worth it, and I thank you for creating it. My only issues were what I mentioned before: If you want to create a table of 100 yard increments to 1000 yards, you get the last 100 yards from 900 to 1000 yards in 1 yard increments. I don't find this useful. Also, I think a moving target option would be useful. Some ballistic calculators have an option for different site in and shooting conditions, but this is no deal breaker. I like the screens, ease in changing options, and separate rifle and bullet sections. The values agree closely with Loadbase using G7 values. One last thing: you might consider defaulting to G7 instead of G1 values for the lookups. I found the arguments in Brian's book compelling.

John;

The full version is worth the price...and a small price compared to many programs in it's class. Sean has put a ton of hours into giving us an improved version, as well as improvements to the free version.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoughIsland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The full version is worth it, and I thank you for creating it. My only issues were what I mentioned before: If you want to create a table of 100 yard increments to 1000 yards, you get the last 100 yards from 900 to 1000 yards in 1 yard increments. I don't find this useful. Also, I think a moving target option would be useful. Some ballistic calculators have an option for different site in and shooting conditions, but this is no deal breaker. I like the screens, ease in changing options, and separate rifle and bullet sections. The values agree closely with Loadbase using G7 values. One last thing: you might consider defaulting to G7 instead of G1 values for the lookups. I found the arguments in Brian's book compelling. </div></div>

Thanks for the feedback, I will look into these things.

Gents;
It now has the ability to enter "Correction Factors" for scope adjustments that are non-standard.
....and this feature shows on the output screen via asterisks next to the corrections that have been altered by the correction factor. Of course, the correction factors are optional for each Profile you enter.

The alternate angular information is still caculated normally, without the correction factor applied. This is as it should be.

There are also more options for scope adjustment values ranging from 1/10 up through 1 so you guys with 1-MOA adjustments are not left out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoughIsland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to create a table of 100 yard increments to 1000 yards, you get the last 100 yards from 900 to 1000 yards in 1 yard increments. I don't find this useful.</div></div>
I agree, this behavior isn't the best. I think you'll like the changes here in the next minor version upgrade.

Great program, and support. Didn't hesitate to upgrade to the full version, and I'm stingy when it comes to buying apps. I really like the new features. The lite will still do just about everything you need, but the full version is very slick.

Got the full version up and running. I am loving all the upgrades. Great work Sean!

Nice work Sean. I finally had a chance to use it this past weekend with shots to 1k. We had 12mph wind @ 9:00. I imputed condtions and presto your program spit out the solution which was within 1/2 moa for wind. The elevatin call was spot on. Allowed me a 2nd round hit to 1k w/ 12mph wind, target size 24"x18". Nice job.

Glad to hear it Lazuris!

LOL just bought the full version nice work.

Full version is pretty nice. More than I hoped for.

One tip....
I prefer fairly descriptive profiles including barrel length, chambering, scope description.
(Savage 308 10FP, 26" Douglas, USO SN-3)
(Savage 308 12FV, 24" A&B, Elite 10x)
This makes it simple to have multiple profiles that are very similar, as well as different profiles for the same weapon with an alternate scope, backup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoughIsland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The full version is worth it, and I thank you for creating it. My only issues were what I mentioned before: If you want to create a table of 100 yard increments to 1000 yards, you get the last 100 yards from 900 to 1000 yards in 1 yard increments. I don't find this useful.</div></div>
I just released an update that addresses this issue, please update.

Also, there is now some more available options in the HUD solution screen, hit the menu button to access them.

Much better! Thank you.

I love the new full version.

Are there any plans to allow graphing of the trajectory and wind? That would be a really neat tool to compare multiple profiles.

The new tools in the HUD are great!
I really like having them there!
Thanks, Sean.

I prefer this table update as well......when I bother using a table.
laugh.gif

Sean, I'm not sure if its me, the phone, or the app but when I exit the program the GPS/satellite icon stays on/active and runs the battery down. I have to go into the menu and turn off the auto feature.

Let me know if I'm doing something wrong, or if I need to do something different.

Thanks for building a great app

I prefer to leave mine off in the phone settings and just turn it on/off as needed via the power widget.
Do you know how to do all of that?

If I purchase the new full version does the cost just go on my next bill?

What happens if my droid takes a crap?

Does the full version have a redundant question for "delete profile"?

Do my current profiles automatically goto the the full version?

Updates? Same deal as the lite version?

Is there a way to make it always calculate including spin drift? It seems like it turns that option off every time you leave a profile.

Goin'Hot;
I do not speak for Sean and have no stake in his program in any way.
That said, I would like to offer my opinion on these matters.

The transaction will ask for a Credit Card number, that is how you are billed. Google does the billing, not Sean.

If your phone dies....you will likley still be able to download the program again for free, not really sure there but hey....its $10.00.

Both versions have confirm on delete......if you hit the wrong two buttons you will lose the profile. This is not alot of info...and you really should have this info noted somewhere else anyway......takes moments to enter the info again.

Current profiles do move to the upgrade...but may require additional info before they will work.....info the old profiles didn't need.
It takes minutes.

He has plans to support updates....always did, and he has already released updates for the paid version.

Lastly;
I don't understand the concern here.
There are ballistic programs available for portable devices that cost as much as $200.00. Many are over $40.00.
I suggested Sean charge a lot more than he is......at least four times more.
I spend more than $10.00 every time I shoot. What is a good ballistic program worth? How about one that is supported by a guy who takes input from users right here on this site? It costs less than a movie ticket and less than some magazines. Less than a reloading manual.

It will cost less than 20 missed shots with quality ammo....and may turn those 20 shots into hits.
Sean put alot of sweat into this program and is asking a minimal amout for its use.......and even offers a free version. He is a generous guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a way to make it always calculate including spin drift? It seems like it turns that option off every time you leave a profile. </div></div>

I agree. Would like to see and option to leave Spin-drift and Coriolis enabled.

I just upgraded and my profiles did not migrate. I'll check out the full version.

I'm not bitchin about the cost, just never bought anything on my phone before.

I am surprised.
Mine migrated, if I recall correctly.

As I said...all of us really should note this info elsewhere.
Electronics "can" die. Good documentation is important.

There have been a few gripes on the Market, though not very many.
Please excuse me if I misjudged you, Goin'Hot.

I think you will like his program!
We are lucky to have it available to us.
I am thankful to be using it.

I have been using one of the original that sean first came out with. I was just playing around with the new one and my screen doesn't seem to go into landscape when I open my keyboard when the solution is calculated.

Is there a change I need to make in the setup?

I love the fact that it now contains a bullet library. No to jump back and forth to JBM now.

If not already discussed, it would be nice if it stored all the previous entered altitude, humidity etc.....

I think I may be partially to blame for that one......was a suggestion I made when he came up with the adjustment buttons for distance/wind speed/dir.
I find the +/- buttons easier to use than the keyboard anyway.
If enough people are unhappy about this I bet Sean can be talked into changing it.

To me, the solution screen didn't work well in landscape mode anyway. I prefer the on-screen adjustments he created.

The bullet lib is great!

I have a match on Sunday and will try it in its current cofig there. It may grow on me.

Also.....not all devices running this software have real keyboards. Some only have the on-screen one.

Sean had to try to come up with a program that works for all users.

Did you hit the menu button and see the tools that pop up......in the solution screen?
Azimuth tool only shows up if you have Coriolis enabled in the previous screen. I missed that and Sean had to show my dumb-ass how to use it.
laugh.gif