• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Is Buffer Tube On RRA Elite Mil Spec Or Commerical

samnev

First Sargeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 16, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    I purchased a RRA Elite A4, that I will pick up Sunday, and want to know if it has a mil spec or commercial buffer tube (receiver extension)? i want to order a Magpul ACS Stock.
    TIA

Last edited:
    99% sure it's commercial

does it specify on rra's site?

I didn't see it on the site but could have missed it I will look again. I can't measure it yet because I don't pick it uo until Sunday. Just wanted to get a head start on ordering a Magpul ACS stock if I could. I seem to recall reading somewhere it's commercial. Thanks for the reply guys.

Unless it has been "upgraded" or is not in factory condition, then it'll come with a commercial tube. I've never seen a factory RRA carbine with anything but a commercial unit on it.

That said...there is nothing per se wrong with the RRA tubes. You just have to be cautious re: aftermarket stock compatibility and be sure that whatever you buy/upgrade to is build for a commercial diameter tube.

A word about extension tubes:

There are those that are made with sub-par methods for economy sake, and there are those that are literally forged. The forged ones hold up, while the machined, welded cap, back-alley abortion types with brushed and anodized camouflage have been known to fail.

Just because a tube has a 1.14" diameter does not mean it's a quality unit. The pathetic thing is that a true Milspec forged extension tube is only a few dollar's difference between an imitation 2-piece unit, but many companies choose the el cheepo versions just to cut corners and increase their margins by $3-$4.

I know the Colt & Vltor tubes are good-to-go. AA uses true Milspec tubes as well. I'm pretty sure DD and Noveske are the same way, as are the ones carried by BCM.