• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Is my Nightforce tube out of spec?

capp325

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2018
I have a Nightforce SHV 5-20 (same 30 mm tube as the full size NXS). The scope body is a two-piece design: the objective bell/front tube screws into the turret housing/rear tube.

The problem is that the front tube appears to be thicker than the rear tube. This can be confirmed by taking half of a 30 mm scope ring and placing it against the scope body. On the rear tube, the half ring rotates easily along the circumference, as it does on every other 30 mm scope that I own. On the front tube, the very same ring rotates JUST BARELY and with a lot more friction.

Do you guys think that this a serious issue that could prevent the scope from being mounted properly? I only shot with this scope once. Both front and rear tubes show minor but still noticeable ring marks, although I do not know if the two issues are related.

As long as it seats snuggly, it's not a problem. If you need to force it in the ring, then I would be making a call. Sometimes depending on scope and ring tolerance, rotating the scope in the rings will give some resistance.

The only functional issue this might cause is a change in parallax knob performance, as the focusing lens is in the front section of the tube. If that functions correctly, you're good to go.