• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Is the Remington 30 AR Dead?

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2006
Deer Park, Texas
What is up with the 30 AR Remington cartridge? Has Remington stopped production? Seemed like a good alternative to the heavier 308 platforms. Extra barrels brass etc seem to be non existent. Anyone in the know?

They posted a new video about it on their website, but I can't find it now.

A lot of us have been wanting to wildcat it to 6.5mm, .277", 7mm, and .358", but upper availability has been turned off even before SH.

Supposedly, they are ramping up again to crank them out. There is a lot of room to move the shoulder forward, since it is necked for a .308 with even more neck length than the inefficient short fat .30 bore uses.

Since the AR15 is becoming the new Mauser action of the late 20th-21st Century for hunters, expect to see more and more big industry names coming out with more powerful cartridges that will fit in the AR15-size frame. With the 30 RAR, the upper, bolt, barrel extension, barrel, and magazine are different.

It's a .284 Winchester cut down and necked to .308, taking inspiration from the .450 Bushmaster, but needed a totally different bolt and extension geometry to handle the higher pressures. As with the .260 Remington, it wouldn't surprise me to see Remington drop the ball with this and leave the market open to more innovative and responsive companies. Wilson Combat already made some 30 RAR AR15's, and they look much better.

I'm interested in a 6.5mm variant, with the shoulder blown forward, pushing 129gr -140gr pills from the AR15 at .260 Rem velocities, since it has case capacity.