• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Is this possible???

Re: Is this possible???

You've got to be kidding me. Someone put a centerfire rifle round that can run as hot as 50 ksi through a 22 LR action?

Probably not an issue for low pressure SS rounds, especially if you shot gas checked lead, but my goodness that's foolish.

The Remington 591 was designed for the rimfire 5mm remington rimfir magnum (which would hum along at 2700fps) so it's a bit more stout than a 22LR. I think the 300 whisper is a necked up 221 Fireball which can launch a 45gr bullet at 3200 fps. I haven't found info on what kind of pressure the 5mm Remington Rimfor Magnum produced but I'd take a pass on this rifle. Not just because of the cartridge either.

I like the Tasco scope and the nice job that was done fitting the bottom metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneeyedmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Remington 591 was designed for the rimfire 5mm remington rimfir magnum (which would hum along at 2700fps) so it's a bit more stout than a 22LR. I think the 300 whisper is a necked up 221 Fireball which can launch a 45gr bullet at 3200 fps. I haven't found info on what kind of pressure the 5mm Remington Rimfor Magnum produced but I'd take a pass on this rifle. Not just because of the cartridge either.

I like the Tasco scope and the nice job that was done fitting the bottom metal. </div></div>

The limiting factor on this action is not the velocity that a certain size bullet comes out of the bore at, it's the pressure and surface area acting on it.

The weak link in rimfire ammunition is the case, rimfire brass is thin/weak compared to centerfire brass.

The A 22 mag doesn't create any more bolt thrust than a 22LR does for the same pressure in the chamber, and those hot CCI Stinger 22's are going to have just as much pressure in them as a 22 WMR will.

The case head on the 221 is larger and operates at higher pressures than teh 22's. Remember that as the case diameter goes up, the bolt thrust increses by the square of that rate. A=(pi*d^2)/4

To operate safely on this you'd have to cut the chamber pressures back so that the bolt thrust isn't going to increase from the increased case head diameter.

Since this is designed around a small case head and rather low pressure round, the idea of shoving a 221 case into this action and shooting low pressures is asking for a disaster.

EDIT: This is a simplistic approach, but for a back of the envelope type "is this safe?" I think it's applicable.