• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jack Hinson

Hinson was 5'7"... not short by the standards of the day. I'm 5'11". Holding the original... it was 'fine' size-wise.

He was also exactly my age when he started his campaign. And running up and down those cliffs was hard work. I mean hard work. With a 30 pound rifle and a small pack. Captain Jack was one tough hombre.

And you are correct that there is some illusion in the picture that makes the replica look a little bigger. But not much. It's a bit bigger.

Sirhr

Didn't the rifle weigh about 17-18 pounds?

Not a clue. That’s why I built one! Experimental history at its best!!!

my bet is something like 200. Only because that’s what I’d do.

He was one of us, really. So we should do what we would do. This is why PhD’s from Harvard can’t figure out shit.

Sirhr

I would bet a bit looking at the sights on the original that the zero may well have been further. We must remember that unlike most rifles of this era it was specifically built for killing soldiers of a standing army not hunting. The further you can shoot in such a situation the better. It is easy in closer engagements to hold under. If he was firing 100gr charges that bullet would have been moving out, too.
All good points... and part of why I built this thing!

Right now, I am going to start out with the Tennessee Rifle Minie, as I have documentation on its design and it is 'close' to what I think it should be. But I may also have a new mold made with a flat bottom if I don't get happy results with a minie. And I might try paper patching! But until I get a 'first' bullet style and start shooting, I won't know where I am.

Also, there is a chance I will get to examine the rifle in the future. That will answer a lot. And I have contact info for the author and simply have not had time to contact him and ask about some details. Plus a plan to research medical records to see if a bullet was sketched or recorded... which is a long, long shot. But history has been un-raveled with fewer straws to grasp at.

I think paper patching IS a distinct possibility... But don't know yet. Won't know until I see the performance with a minie!

This is 'experimental history' at its purest in a lot of ways. In a case where you have only partial information, one can begin to re-create the parts... and then re-create the narrative. And if it can't be re-created, it does not negate it... but it does create avenues for new explorations.

As for the shooting locations and related geography... You probably won't find much from Google Earth these days. Because what was "The Land Between the Rivers" is now the "Land Between the Lakes..." due to damming and water projects that have created lakes where once there were rapids and chutes. The book has one good map in it... but I think it would be very interesting to try and find some topo maps from the 1920's. Before the dams had been built by the TVA.

From what I understand, Hinson's cave (more of a grotto) is still there and can be visited. It is about 1000 yards from what 'was' the river bank of the Cumberland (again... I may be wrong on this... so until I visit this fall... I am going by the same sources you are). The book and some later talks (on YouTube) indicate that he would descend from his camp/grotto to pre-selected sites along the river bank and fire from far enough back in the woods that the smoke from his rifle would dissipate from the trees and he could escape back up the ledges easily. My guess is that he was trying to get within 100 - 200 yards of the river bank (or closer).

At the same time, the river was, in some places, 500 (or more) yards wide. So if he was shooting at a boat 'hugging the far bank... or using the slow water on the inside of a river bend to make headway... then his shots might be a greater distance.

There are a lot of folks who 'poo poo' the stories because of how far his 'hide' was from the river. But noone should ever confuse a 'hide' with a camping location!

Anyway... I'm going to go see if I can find some early topo maps... Pre TVA. Good lead! Thanks!

Sirhr
I would also look at Google earth using their historical imagery viewer. You can find some seriously old imagery there. If the USG was doing large scale projects I would bet there are aerials taken for the project that have been released and incorporated into the Google viewer.

I would also look at Google earth using their historical imagery viewer. You can find some seriously old imagery there. If the USG was doing large scale projects I would bet there are aerials taken for the project that have been released and incorporated into the Google viewer.
Already have the contact info for the Corps of Engineers Historians in that district... on my list to do today, in fact!

I need maps and images (aerials are possible, but not that likely) before TVA... so 1920's at latest.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Not a clue. That’s why I built one! Experimental history at its best!!!

my bet is something like 200. Only because that’s what I’d do.

He was one of us, really. So we should do what we would do. This is why PhD’s from Harvard can’t figure out shit.

Sirhr
I would make a set of sights at the same dimensions as the original and then see what they do. Can always be changed to something else.

I would make a set of sights at the same dimensions as the original and then see what they do. Can always be changed to something else.
I have 'over-tall' sights on it temporarily. Because I can file them and then get differentials.

When we built the replica, we didn't have access to the original to measure. So put on a set of 'junk' sights that I'll file and drift and play with. Once it shoots, I'll put the 'authentic' sights on it.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: FWoo45
I have 'over-tall' sights on it temporarily. Because I can file them and then get differentials.

When we built the replica, we didn't have access to the original to measure. So put on a set of 'junk' sights that I'll file and drift and play with. Once it shoots, I'll put the 'authentic' sights on it.

Cheers,

Sirhr
Yes, I recall you said that.

I’m. It seeing the pic, just a 2 with a box around it?

Have you shot the rifle yet? I check this regularly hoping to see how it is going.

Back to the Hungarian guy - he has bought a .451 Volunteer rifle and here is shooting 900 yards with it - well worth the watch. Dud wind calls notwithstanding, he manages what looks like 2 moa or slightly better off his elbows at 900 - with a 170 year old rifle.

Last edited:
Have you shot the rifle yet? I check this regularly hoping to see how it is going.

Back to the Hungarian guy - he has bought a .451 Volunteer rifle and here is shooting 900 yards with it - well worth the watch. Dud wind calls notwithstanding, he manages what looks like 2 moa or slightly better off his elbows at 900 - with a 170 year old rifle.

HI RPN...

Have not shot it yet... Snow set in.

But have a tremendous amount of new data and information that is going to go into a peer-reviewed paper in the spring.

At this point, due to my commitments to the rifle owner and the owner of the land where Hinson's Cave sits (and so as not to spoil the results that will be published)... I am not going to go into any details of recent research on an open forum. They (and Col. McKenney) will get to see the results and draft paper first when I get it completed and get the shooting side of it done. There are a couple of publications that are already identified for the publication.

But I am definitely looking forward to shooting it when the snow clears up. And, in fact, already have plans to make a big steel "Yankee" torso target with some brass buttons on it... to help with the experimental history side of things.
Stay tuned!

Cheers, Sirhr

PS... I am a quintessential Yankee. I eat pie for breakfast. So I have no qualms about calling it a Yankee Target!

I always thought a Yankee was a quickie for one.

Also, looking forward to seeing what happens with the paper. This thread has me searching for a good .451 shooter. UK auction houses look like the best places, given the nutbar price paid locally for one last week.

Was going to put this in Vintage, but since Sean started this fine thread… I’ll post here.

Project that had been ‘in the works’ for about three years has started as of last week…

Took a while to accumulate the necessaries and get in a good barrel.

There have been a number of debates about Hinsons projectile and, no, his mold has not been found that I am awaren of. The book describes it as a minie and not as a Whitworth pattern hexagonal bolt. And having had his rifle made locally, I suspect it very unlikely that they used a Whitworth barrel. The Marine Col who wrote the book is a “gun guy” and did extensive research including examining the actual rifle. So the book is, so far, about as definitive a record as I have come across so far.

Been Hinson’s stomping ground, which is right around Fort Campbell. But not his grotto. Now the “Land between the Rivers” is the “Land between the Lakes”. So much of the real topography is lost to the TVA. Might try and get to his cave on a trip there this fall. Make an interesting get-together if anyone is in the area.

There is a monument, btw. I’ll dig out the picture we took there.

In the mean time… These kinds of build pictures will have to suffice until a range report comes in.

Cheers, SirhrView attachment 7669676View attachment 7669677
You fucker!

• Haha
Reactions: sirhrmechanic
I always thought a Yankee was a quickie for one.

Also, looking forward to seeing what happens with the paper. This thread has me searching for a good .451 shooter. UK auction houses look like the best places, given the nutbar price paid locally for one last week.

These Pedersoli's are fantastic! Price is definitely up... but it is a shooter! You might be able to get one from a different vendor for less. But I trust DGW!!

Sirhr

Holts.PNG

There are originals for sale fairly regularly though, so I'll wait. Holts current auction has a couple of .58 and a .730, but a .451 is what I need for anything past 300 yards.

hinson bullets 1.jpg
hinson bullet 2.jpg

Got some casting done today for the Hinson rifle.... new barrel arrived at gunsmith. So needed the Tennessee-style long section minie's c. 1860...

Used a steel Brooks Nose Pore mold, custom made in .50. Mold took some getting used to, but once figured out, it produces very nice boolits!

More to come soon!

Sirhr

What alloy? 20:1 or 30:1?

Mould might need to be a little hotter. Some 2 stroke oil on top of th blocks will help with lead smear. Just don’t let it get into the cavities, lol.

What alloy? 20:1 or 30:1?

Mould might need to be a little hotter. Some 2 stroke oil on top of th blocks will help with lead smear. Just don’t let it get into the cavities, lol.
Pure lead.

I think I could do some beeswax. Main problem was keeping mold hot, as you note. Might set up a hotplate ffor it. Also, keeping mold clean was a challenge. These will be OK for purpose. But I'm with you. I think I can do better.

Sirhr

I'm stoked for this project, well done @sirhrmechanic! My dad and I read the book, very well done. I took about 4-5 pages of notes because I felt like that time period had so many parallels to ours. The author did a great job of advocating for the South without making excuses for slavery, but showed that it was a much more complicated issue with nuance...like most things.

What stood out to me was that guerilla warfare among a civilian population tends to lead to atrocities on both sides. War is hell and anyone that thinks a civil war here would be a quick or easy thing is delusional.

Any idea when the article will be coming out Sir?

Reactions: D_TROS and jbell
Just started the book, which I only found because of this thread so thanks for that. Also, @sirhrmechanic that is a damn fine looking rifle.

I'm stoked for this project, well done @sirhrmechanic! My dad and I read the book, very well done. I took about 4-5 pages of notes because I felt like that time period had so many parallels to ours. The author did a great job of advocating for the South without making excuses for slavery, but showed that it was a much more complicated issue with nuance...like most things.

What stood out to me was that guerilla warfare among a civilian population tends to lead to atrocities on both sides. War is hell and anyone that thinks a civil war here would be a quick or easy thing is delusional.

Any idea when the article will be coming out Sir?
No, but I was scheduled to present it at the Mass Arms Collector meeting in Sturbridge in Oct., but got bumped to Dec. As for publication.... Got to finish before both!

I need another couple of range days which, fortunately, become more readily-available with fall here.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: camocorvette
Thanks, all for the kind words and encouragement! It's a fun project. One of several going on right now... got to get back to the structured barrel, too!

Cheers,

Sirhr
I have talked to the structured barrel guys a few years ago and got to check out a Tubb gun with one of their barrels. That's some interesting stuff right there

I have talked to the structured barrel guys a few years ago and got to check out a Tubb gun with one of their barrels. That's some interesting stuff right there
Hey, you want to drive over from Maine and do some shooting... you are welcome! Steaks and cigars as a bonus, buddy! PM me.

Cheers,

SIrhr

Reactions: jbell
All I can say is DAMN! Reading this gave me goose bumps. Excellent commentary by all and fantastic job Sirhr.

My family has deep roots in that area (1780s) and I grew up not far from the Land Between the Lakes. My dad and older family members would talk about Hinson off and on growing up, and my dad, brothers, and I read Col Mckinney's book together. I stayed at Piney a few years ago and drove up to see the sign but it was down. Looks like they put it back up from your pics. I'll have to run up there when I go home this Christmas.

When and where will you present your paper?

Any idea of what the mils of the rear sight and front sight are on the original rifle?

Will be interesting to see the capabilities of the rifle you made.

My observations.

Short version : Hinson's shots were 80% fieldcraft and 20% weapon system. The shots were likely from elevated positions at around 50-100 feet above the river and from 50 to 300 yards. That would place him about 20-70 feet above the top deck of a gunboat.

Longer version:

I've hunted all up and down the Cumberland river and seen towboats/barges and large boats going by. At Vicksburg is the actual gunboat USS Cairo and I've walked around it and on it thinking about Hinson.

The outside bends of the rivers are where there are cliffs and the channel is deepest there and the boat has to stay in the deepest part of the channel and edge to the inside to be in slower water. In most places that would have been a 100 yard shot from a 90 degree angle to the gunboats. The CSA Guns park North of Dover is a good example of a location. But not what I would pick.

The cliffs off Hickman Creek Road just North of the Guns or the section across the Cumberland off Jackson Cemetery are also good places to explore. At these locations there are some much better spots where there is a terrain spur going down into where a bend straightens out. That's where I would setup.

You can look right down the barges coming upstream and see both sides of the wheelhouse on the towboat. For much of the towboat approach there is no relative motion at all. Those shots begin at 600 yards and run down to 250 yards before the barge begins to present an angle and then drop further as the barge goes by and then upstream.

So here's a question...

Is the movie Shenandoah (Jimmy Stewart) based on Hinson's story... long before anyone had really heard of Jack Hinson?

Cheers,

Sirhr

Hinson was well known in Central Tennessee. I recall my dad and his dad and other men discussing him in the early 1970s while we twisted tobacco. A lot of Oral History was passed around every fall during tobacco prep. And prior events like the Massacre of 1622, Kings Mountain, Cherokee Civil War, Trail of Tears, US Civil War - and even Cromwell and Culloden - were discussed as if they happened the day before. You still see the Scottish Flag in places. No doubt it was much the same across much of Tennessee and into the Virginia/North Carolina as most people were descended from the First Families who migrated West from the Coast - and intermarried with their cousins, Cherokee, and high browns - and many still visited back and forth. So no doubt that Oral history was shared.

Hard to say whom the movie was about. The Civil War divided families in many ways and the Union occupation forces and Southern Partisans were often no better than thugs. Many of the latter just settled grudges or hid behind a Gray uniform to steal from unarmed folk. As I recall Hinson killed a few bad Partisans himself. The story is probably universal.

I know half my family owned upwards of 500 slaves and several thousand acres of bottomland then became Night Riders. We still have the books for what was grown, sold, and bought. Others farmed the hilltops and joined the Union. And later built a college for blacks and donated land for primary schools. Its a very complex story to tell and one that has not really been told. We can be angry that the COE/TVA owns our family land now and rents it out to us, and in the same breath be proud of the schools we built.

Shenandoah was written by James Lee Barret who grew up in North Carolina and went to college in South Carolina. He was an Eagle Scout and joined the Marines. He wrote other screenplays including Undefeated and Green Berets. And then the Greatest Story Ever Told. And then Smokey and the Bandit. No doubt he was well versed in both formal and oral history. He would have had tons of material.

Good BIO here.

Damn I love Snipers Hide... Spent over an hour on the phone today with OldLoser above... He is neither.

Amazing conversation that not only added to my research but shows that the 'oral traditions' among folks who grew up in that area are still alive and well. He added some definite insights and confirmed some things that my archival, experimental and 'on the ground' research was indicating.

This place has THE best people on the Internet when it comes to anything military-history. Once again, proving The Vintage section is the place to be on SH.

Thanks, sir! Was great talking to you. Check your PM.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I know you have been intentionally vague for understandable reasons but am I reading right that you got to shoot THE actual Hinson rifle or purely finger it to get the barrel twist?

Regardless cant wait for final report.

DT

I know you have been intentionally vague for understandable reasons but am I reading right that you got to shoot THE actual Hinson rifle or purely finger it to get the barrel twist?

Regardless cant wait for final report.

DT
It is not shootable... the erosion is too bad and the lock is damaged. It saw some hard use 'after' the war when its value/story/provenance was less-well-appreciated. But, yes, we did get the twist rate. Which is all-important!

Cheers,

Sirhr