• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just read about a 7mm SAW

dttheliman

Pushing those 6.5's
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2013
San Antonio
Seems like a cure for something that has not happened , however looks like it also works and is fairly easy to get into, may try it when I finally decide to scrap my ancient shot-out 260 barrel - anyone got any experience / tried it / fad cartridge ? thinking a 7 has a bit more porridge than a 6.5 in terms of weight , however the 150gr's in 6.5 on a 7 twist are mighty appealing too. What do you say (surgeon 591 action / whiskey 3 chassis for fun and games when its windy at 500 to 1000+ yards)

Insight welcome
Tim

I get the ballistics but not the recoil claims.

Heavy bullets such as the 180 Berger Hybrid and 183gr Sierra Match King can be pushed to around 2725-2750FPS. Those numbers give the cartridge a slight edge in drift and drop over the medium 6.5’s, while still providing low recoil

How is that "low recoil"?

So I had read a while back (when going through my wildcat-or-die phase) about 7mm-08 AI. Based on the pictures on the West Texas Ordnance site, it looks fairly close to that. Any idea what differences there may be between the two?

So I had read a while back (when going through my wildcat-or-die phase) about 7mm-08 AI. Based on the pictures on the West Texas Ordnance site, it looks fairly close to that. Any idea what differences there may be between the two?

Looks like the shoulder mainly

6.5cm / 7mm SAW / 7-08

Attachments

• photo79051.jpg
    photo79051.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 558
I'm struggling to believe the velocity claims. That is basically .280 AI speeds with 60-62 grains of powder and 168 class bullets. I'm assuming the saw holds around 45 grains??

The 7mm SAW is basically an improved 7mm-08. 2750-2775 FPS in a 26" tube is doable in a regular 7mm-08 with an 162 grain bullet, because I've done it. An improved 7mm-08 tops out about 2825-2850 FPS range, with the roomer case yielding about 75 FPS more, at sane pressures. I don't see the SAW sprinklings enough fairy dust to get a 162 grain pill up to 2900, and have any decent case life. IMHO and YMMV.

I don't see the 7mm SAW being a better match round than the 6.5x47, 260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor trio, but a 162 grain bullet at around 2800 FPS would make a mean big game round......Which is a niche it fits into nicely.....

I have been thinking about a 708 ai for a while now. I think the appeal to the saw variant is no fire forming. I still think i like the idea of a 708ai better. If it is a hunting rifle the ability to to shoot factory 708 in a pinch is nice and i would think the 708 would have a touch more capacity being that the shoulder is blown forward instead of pushed back.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I ended up with a piece or two of what resembles of being 7mm saw after last years Lone Survivor match. A friend sent what he thought was some my 7mm Ackley cases but it's not. In the pic left to right is a 7mm-08 Ackley, middle measures and looks to be the saw case and on the right is a standard 308 palma case which both use. Can't say I see the velocities claimed but I've not seen performance in person.
30bc11a075f80c7a392d0e67ed552b84.jpg

I have a 26" Bartlein on a Bighorn TL3 chambered in 7mm SAW. I am very happy with the ease of forming brass and the final results. Running the Hornady 180 Eld-M in front of Reloader 16 they are moving 2724fps. I gave the 162's and Varget a try and they shot really well but I ran into pressure before I could get enough velocity (low 2800's) to out perform the 180's. I am not sure if the Lapua Palma brass would have helped with pressure or not, but I wanted to try the Hornady brass I had on hand.

I have only had a chance to take the 180's to 600 yards to date and using Hornady's new 4dof app, they were spot on and held under .5 moa. Hopefully I will have an opportunity to take them further in the near future. SIDE NOTE: While shooting the 7mm SAW side by side with my 308 and the SAW had less recoil.

Left to Right: 6.5 Creed, 7mm SAW, 6 SLR

Attachments

• photo82094.jpg
    photo82094.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 907
I was going to say the 7 SAW looks like a necked up 6 SLR. I had always liked the idea of the a 7 SLR.

All comes down to case design and how efficient it operates. I had planned to go the 7 SAW route but decided stick with the vanilla 7-08. But I did tighten up the neck on the reamer.

The SAW caught my eye from the fact there’s no drastic case forming and you’re getting the benefits of a SLR/Creedmoor case design.

ShootDots on accurateshooter did a 7-08 AI PALMA and got super bad fouling when trying to run 180s, couldn't get it to shoot wOrth a damn..

What powders/primers did ShootDots try ? , I've thought about 7-08AI Palma and whidden hydro-forming dies if the investment is worth it versus fire forming or just going with the SAW !