• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

K98K Nazi proof that just wont shoot

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
Hey all,

About a year back I picked up German K98 Mauser carbine model from a local gun shop. It had the Nazi proofs still on it and weren't drilled out.

Around 50 yards this thing shoots 4-6" left and I've already maxed out the windage and even adjusted the front blade.

It holds "groups", as in they're not all over the target like buckshot, but I just can't seem to get the damn thing to move right.

Any you guys familiar with the Kar-98k offer any help?

Re: K98K Nazi proof that just wont shoot

Have you drifted the front sight at all? Hows the muzzle/crown look?

Never mind, re-read the post. Sight adjustment has no impact on POI?

I'm always sorry to hear about that kind of thing. I've had K98's that would shoot really well, but I've also been in your shoes before. The sad truth is that a lot of those war-time guns are just plain worn out...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalhead0483</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm always sorry to hear about that kind of thing. I've had K98's that would shoot really well, but I've also been in your shoes before. The sad truth is that a lot of those war-time guns are just plain worn out... </div></div>

How hard is it to replace the barrel and have it refinished? Any idea on costs / smiths for this?

I would get to a smith, headspace check it, check the barrel etc.

It could be something loose, or a worn out barrel (that should have still changed when the sights changed).

I was able to get the shots to pull right with extreme sight adjustment, however it's maxed out and still shoots around 4-6" left. Maybe it's just a nice display item at this point?

Shouldn't be too costly to have it re-barreled. My father had a similar problem with a Mauser someone gave him. He finally gave up and re-barreled/ converted it to a .308. I can't remember what he paid though.

Smell the chamber, if it smells more like an oven and not gunpowder that'd be your problem

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smell the chamber, if it smells more like an oven and not gunpowder that'd be your problem </div></div>

Holy shit that's just wrong, lmao

If muzzle end is worn due to steel cleaning rod (like they usually are), muzzle can be drilled inch or so. Idea is to get healthy grooves bullet exit point, and still keep original look and barrel. Its old low-cost trick but works.
I suggest you to take it to gunsmith and have it checked if you cant measure it by youself

If the barrel serial # matches the rest of the gun, I wouldn't swap it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could be a bent barrel. Those things lead a rough life. </div></div>

OK, this may sound a bit neanderthal but, if it's bent, and it sure sounds like it, bend it back. To save the proof marks and all, why not. Or just, as you say "hang it on the wall"

I found a Mosin manufactured by Remeington at an auction last year and the barrel is pretty sorry, shoots like crap, but there is NO WAY I'll replace it and lose the proofs!

I would just hang it on the wall and not make a big deal about how bad it shoots.

If you want to shoot it, have a gunsmith check it out. See if he has a fix that is within your budget, i.e. counterbore the muzzle, bend it back...etc. That's only if it's matching. If not matching and you just want an example of that rifle, Lothar Walther makes ready to go 8mm Mauser barrels from $200-$225. They are already chambered and what they require is for your gunsmith to measure your action, then cut the bottom of the barrel to that length and install. With pre-cut barrels like that it usually costs about $100 to install one. Here's a link:
http://www.lothar-walther.de/272.php {edited to direct you to the right page...sorry}

Otherwise, hang it on the wall for show and tell and say you shot it.

that sucks man, 98k's a fun to shoot and the ammo is cheap. my 98 came from my great uncle bringing it back from the war. it shoots to the right also by my uncle and I moved the front sight over and it shoots consistently out to 300m open sights. i never expected to be able to shoot that far with it especially open sights. if it gets worn out and starts to go all over the place...well she'll be hung up over the fireplace. i'll never get rid of it.

Have a gunsmith with a Bore scope check it. A badly tatered crown can wreak havoc but I think this is more than a ginked up muzzle.

this is one of the rifles l have on my buy someday list. l think they are really fun to shoot and l would love to have one with all the marks on it.

I've rebarreled two of my K98's. None had any real collector value. Russian capture imports, mismatched bolts etc....

One gun I redid it and chambered it in 8kurz (7.92x33). Shortened the follower, mod. the magazine box and used a rem.700 .223 follower spring so it feeds reliably from the box. Added a Timney trigger and installed a set of low turret sniper mounts. Nice tack driver with handloads and the kids can shoot it all day long because of no recoil.

We can make you a barrel but it would run you $310 and you need to have someone install it. We charge $250. Any sight work is extra.

More than most want to pay for a shooter K98k but it's an option for you.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Is it a Russian Capture? If it is, all the parts are from different rifles. The barreled action may not fit straight in the stock, the barrel band and handguard could be putting pressure on the barrel or the receiver may not be making good contact with the recoil lug. All these things are bad for accuracy.

If it's an all numbers matching K98 I'll buy it and give you one that shoots.

im shooting at 629m with the original iron sights on my 98k and still hitting a 1m by 1m target