• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kaboom at Manatee today!

Queequeg

Door Man
Minuteman
May 16, 2008
Florida, Hillsborough county
The fellow 2 benches west of me, right next to Ren, had a very bad day! Damn sure could have killed him and quite likely Ren as well.

Something blew clean through the roof in two locations!

Kaboom1_zpsbaeb8117.jpg (68.5 KB)
Kaboom2_zps03c4ff88.jpg (82.2 KB)
Kaboom3_zps0ec90044.jpg (126.8 KB)
kaboom4_zps6a8c4489.jpg (108.0 KB)
kaboom5_zps4b8b9842.jpg (113.7 KB)

Attachments

• Kaboom1_zpsbaeb8117.jpg
    Kaboom1_zpsbaeb8117.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Kaboom2_zps03c4ff88.jpg
    Kaboom2_zps03c4ff88.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Kaboom3_zps0ec90044.jpg
    Kaboom3_zps0ec90044.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 88
  • kaboom4_zps6a8c4489.jpg
    kaboom4_zps6a8c4489.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 80
  • kaboom5_zps4b8b9842.jpg
    kaboom5_zps4b8b9842.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 87
Couple more photos

Pretty amazing.

Attachments

• Kaboom8_zps656b694f.jpg
    Kaboom8_zps656b694f.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Kaboom6_zpsead0dca9.jpg
    Kaboom6_zpsead0dca9.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 63
  • Kaboom7_zps615f5d07.jpg
    Kaboom7_zps615f5d07.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 72
Did he leave the cleaning rod in it then pull the trigger ? He is one lucky SOB that he didn't cross over on that one.

Wait, did he fire with the cleaning rod in the barrel? Or is the rod there to indicate the earlier squib?

Thanks for posting - I always wondered how well savage multi-piece bolt would take a failure like that.

What was the reason this went the way it did? I see that there is a rod in the barrel in one pic. Was that the reason? Curious on how this went. Glad no one got hurt or killed.

Happened this afternoon at the Manatee Gun and Archery Club.

Al, Ren and Myself were there with a couple other folks.

Ren was at bench 12, I was at 13. The fellow at 11 is the guy who had the Kaboom. He was running a Savage .338 Lapua.

After the boom, I heard Ren ask "Are you alright" and then turned to look in time to see the fellow reacting in total shock. Literally stunned.

Ren and I went over to him and could not see any major injuries. Ren was uninjured as well but had a lot of fiberglass splinters on him.

The barrel nut is what I presume punched the two holes in the roof. One was ~ 1" square, the other about half that size.

The shooter is a regular there and is a pretty smart guy. He had been having a problem with sticky cases though he said he was certain the loads were mild. That's why he was content to knock the sticky ones out with the rod.

He simply forgot to remove the rod after knocking out the last stuck case.

You can see what happened next.

Who was the nutswinger that a few weeks ago was saying that savage actions are bomb proof and you can't blow them up if you tried?

Used to go there quite often when I was in FL. I am actually surprised this hasn't happened more with the people I used to see passing through there that had absolutely no idea as to what they were doing.

I miss Gene and his after hour antics of loading homebrew wildcat cartridges and then seeing who wanted to be the first to shoot it lol

Reactions: Queequeg
Look at the fired brass. Looks like I can see punctured primers and some with blow by. Glad he is not hurt bad. Maybe next time he will back the load off a notch and not have to worry about stuck brass.

As for cleaning rods left in the barrel, an old buddy of mine, who has now left this world, left the ramrod in his muzzle loader one day when we were getting ready for deer season. Luckily for him nothing like this happened, but when he pulled the trigger it flipped him out of the chair he was sitting in.

Happened this afternoon at the Manatee Gun and Archery Club.

Al, Ren and Myself were there with a couple other folks.

Ren was at bench 12, I was at 13. The fellow at 11 is the guy who had the Kaboom. He was running a Savage .338 Lapua.

After the boom, I heard Ren ask "Are you alright" and then turned to look in time to see the fellow reacting in total shock. Literally stunned.

Ren and I went over to him and could not see any major injuries. Ren was uninjured as well but had a lot of fiberglass splinters on him.

The barrel nut is what I presume punched the two holes in the roof. One was ~ 1" square, the other about half that size.

The shooter is a regular there and is a pretty smart guy. He had been having a problem with sticky cases though he said he was certain the loads were mild. That's why he was content to knock the sticky ones out with the rod.

He simply forgot to remove the rod after knocking out the last stuck case.

You can see what happened next.

That's pretty much exactly it. I think there was one free bench between me and him. Luckily Alan was up in the club house, as Him and Michelle would have been right beside him at the time of the rapid field striping of the savage. Yes the action, barrel, scope, stock are all trashed.

Read a post not long ago where a physician left a cleaning rod in a barrel and touched one off. I believe he died. Glad no serious maiming.

Thanks for posting. It seems a common cause of these things is the damn cleaning rod. Makes me want to leave mine at home.
You do know that the rods normally go from breach to muzzle don't you? :)
Bore sighters at the range worry me most. I saw a Remington M7 with a split barrel due to one being left on at the range.
Just thank one's lucky stars no one was seriously hurt by this one.

I shoot pretty often. I take the normal precautions, but I forget on occasion just how dangerous these things sitting under my cheekbone can be. This sort of thing is a great reminder what can happen with just a momentary lapse in attention. Thanks for posting it.

Jesus. Surprised noone got hurt. Yall are lucky. I imagine that newly acquired flinch is gonna be hard to get rid of for quite a while.

One of the many lessons to be learned here, is that you defiantly want to make sure you keep your free/support hand behind the action when touching off a round.
Look at the Rifles only- Fight smart training facility add right above the Quick reply section.
That shooter would be in a world of hurt if that happened when he touched off a round.
I'm happy to hear that everyone is ok.

Wow.... 'Nough said. A solid reminder as to what kinda of pressure is in our face every time we pull the trigger. Never lose respect for the firearm.

This also shows just how good the bolt action design is. The pressure in that thing was probably 100k psi or more, and the failure directed the bad stuff in just about the safest way possible. Think about how many tons of bolt thrust that was pushing the bolt straight back at the shooters face with no ill effects. Everything fails in the right order. Amazing from an engineering perspective.

Damn dude, not only did that blast go through the roof but right through the shooting mat.

This happened at around 1:45 pm. The injured shooter was still shooting his other rifles when I left at 3:30.

He fucked up, pure and simple and he never said a word to the contrary.

I offered to put a bandage on his arm wound but he decline several times.

After about an hour he asked me if I wouldn't mind grabbing my first aid kit after all! The band aid he had on that ding was soaked with blood and running down his arm. Of course, I kind of figured it wasn't just a little boo boo when I offered to bandage him 45 minutes earlier!

He's a polite, decent guy who is a regular there and shoots a lot of really nice rifles.

He is also damn fortunate that he caught a break. And so are Ren and myself as the shit that blew through the steel roof was going fast enough to rip through him or us.

I prefer to be both lucky AND good!