• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Keep the vortex, or grab a millett?

savageshooter623

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2013
Adair Iowa
I purchaced a vortex 6.5-20x44 the other dayfor my .308 elr endeavors, because it seemed like a good value. No real complaints here. I did a quick sight in to see how much adjustment I had left, and now am looking for a canted base. This scope only has 64ish minutes of max internal adjustment. Before I jumped on this scope, I was looking at a millett LRS and saw a few mixed reviews on it. That is what pushed me away. It has 140 minute internal adjustment for me at a killer price, although I would probably need lower rings and its absolutely huge. Is it junk or just a few lemons I heard about? Its not too late to return my vortex if I choose. Anyone have experience with these 2 scopes? Looks like cost will be the same in the end for the most part. I just need a crystal ball, or fellow hide member, to tell me which i will be hapiest with? :confused:

You already have the scope and Vortex does make some nice glass. A canted base will get you where you need to be. Some folks like the Millett, but I refuse to pay good money for Chinese glass, especially if I need to make out images at long distance.

If cost is an issue, the aluminum weaver base will work fine, up from that Warne makes a nice steel base as well.

I bought a Millet because of all the great reviews.

-it's absurdly large......without a sun shade it's almost as big as my nxs 5-22 with a shade.
-the glass is ok
-the reticule is super thick.......think NcStar fatness. Lame.
-scope rings were pure garbage, I think they'd break tightening before they would be secure for use.

This scope has been mounted and used exactly one time. It's been sitting on the shelf for a while now.........................
I own Nightforces,Bushnell(s another on the way)and 3 vortex(4 soon).
Keep the vortex, unless you want to buy a once mounted Millet. It's got green illum.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am guessing by your handle you are a Savage guy. I have an EGW rail on my Savage - fits great. These are available in 20 degree rails and a pretty inexpensive, made in USA and they are a good company in my experience. SWFA, Brownells all carry EGW. No slam on Millet, I have seen them and they are physically huge to me, I like my Vortex.

I have the Millet and I have sent it back to the service center three(3) times. It has very poor repeatability. I bought it because the price was right only to find out it cost me $20 shipping every time I send it back.

Had a Millet once then I bought a Vortex now the Millet sits on a Gamo pellet gun. Never looking back at it again. The Vortex is the better choice in my opinion.

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

Sounds like im on the right track. lol I have heard about the poor repeatability, and in precision shooting, that is unacceptable. Thanks for all of the great info guys!

Also, as far as rails go, is there any advantage of one material to another? I would think aluminum would be better for corrosion resistance. one less think t worry about. Anyone know where to find a 25 minute base?

1. Which vortex? Any vortex blows millet out of the water, not even a comparison.

2. 64 MOA of total or each way. That does not sound right if its total. Get a 20moa EGW base like the dude above said.

It is a viper PA 6.5-20x44. No 50s were in stock. It only has about 67 total minutes of adjustment after i decided to do some simple math. lol This is about the norm that ive seen, even in scopes 2-3 times as expensive. Yes, some have more, but not many. Especially in the price range Im willing to step into for just a .308.

I had a Millet, glass is better than the price would indicate, reticle is fat but with good eyes when you adjust the reticule focus down it gets a lot thinner. Have bad eves and it gets thick. Seemed to work quite fine. I bought the millet, worked fine for what it was.

Replaced my Millet with an ATACR. Ya that is better than the millet. I think your Vortex is better than the Millet though, it is also more money.

If your really concerned about optics you have to go a lot higher than that Viper.
If you have a vortex keep it.
If you have a Millet keep it.
Step up another $1K and you have options.

Good luck!

Last edited:
My friend just got a millet, and for the money it is actually not a bad pc of glass. If you are big time on a budget, then maybe...

There is a good reason why I use vortex on damn near all of my rifles besides accuracy. No question transferable warranty and re-sale value because of it. It is a scope that will last you the rest of your life or until vortex closes their doors which I don't see happening soon:

IMG_5937_zpse27071b2.jpg

My very first optic was a Millet TRS 2 10x mil/mil.. I had zero issues with my scope, for 300 bucks it couldn't be beat, it tracked from 100-1000 yards fine on multiple occasions. I did upgrade not long after I first purchased it but as far as budget optics go I wouldn't turn down another TRS2. I don't know much about the other optics Millet has but when I started it seemed easier to learn with a fixed 10x scope with mil turrets because I knew I'd eventually buy a quality scope in mils.. I do have a Vortex PST and I've owned a few of the other PST optics which I love. The only way I would switch is if your scope doesn't have a matching turrets and reticule. If you're just getting into shooting I think you should start with what you'll eventually go to (mil/mil) and get the Millet TRS 2. The way I look at it is i'd rather have a mil/mil millet then a lower end Vortex with non matching reticule and turrets. On a side note though if you got the extra coin sell the vortex and then buy a Vortex PST with either mil/mil or moa/moa which ever your flavor...

Last edited:
Stay away from millett. They appeal with a list of features, but they are junk

Sent from my POS phone using Tapatalk 2

Keeping the viper. Like I said, for just a .308, I don't see a point in spending more (although the nightforces iv shot through are sweet) and switching to a millett looks like a 50/50 chance with little to no gain.

I know that a lot of you like mil/mil scopes, but i dont mind doing the extra math for finer adjustment and moa familiarity. one day i will step out of my comfort zone. ;)

My millett functions just fine and the glass is decent but man it looks like a cannon mounted on my rifle. It is hue especially on a short rifle. Also it came with high rings at first I had to send them in and order low which are still too high.

Picture400_zpsc2a44433.jpg

Last edited:
The way I look at it is i'd rather have a mil/mil millet then a lower end Vortex with non matching reticule and turrets. On a side note though if you got the extra coin sell the vortex and then buy a Vortex PST with either mil/mil or moa/moa which ever your flavor...
Not really interested in dropping twice the money for a scope that doesn't show that large of an upgrade. I'm sure there are some worth while differences, but again, this is just going on my .308 savage flcp-k. I out to 1000 with a cheap Nikon. Not to mention, that scope let me kill a tennis ball at 500, and shoot the 100 yard group you see in my avatar pic cold bore. So this 450 dollar viper pa should be a good up grade. Lol moa adjustments and mil dots don't really scare me either. I'll drop a good amount on a nightforce or something with all of those dodads when I get a serious long range caliber and rifle. Until then, money equals reloading components. :D

I was down between the same 2 scopes for my 20" AR except my Viper is the 6.5-20x50. I too saw too many negative reviews on the Millet and couldn't find anything bad for the Viper. I don't regret the Viper, the quality is amazing, glass is clear even at max power, turrets aren't mushy and very repeatable from my own box test, the Vipers are well worth the money, you won't regret it.

Love my Vortex PST.... Yes on a couple of builds I hope to do some day in the future I will go with NF. But for everyday use I'll like Vortex.

My millett LRS is a great scope (for the money). I have used it from 100 to 400 yds on my 700P .308. Tracks great. I've read all the reviews on the scope and haven't experienced any of the negative issues. I'd buy another.
image.jpg

I love my simmons 3-9x40! Threw one on my lapua and man, what a great scope, tracks great and guarenteed cleearer glass than schmidt and bender, has 200moa of adjustment, and tracks perfectly from 100-1500 all day everyday, I smoked a penny at 1200 the other day on my first shot!!!!! And you can't beat the price!!! $35 at wal mart!!!

And here we go.

People buying a sports car shouldn't bother either unless they're buying a Veyron or a Venom GT.

i have owned one millet, and it crapped, sent it back and crapped again. my dad owns 3 and all but one has crapped so far, one twice. I would stick with vortex. heard nothing but good about them.

First I'd say that everyone keeps saying "I own a millett and....." Well, Millett makes more than one scope product. Which one a person owns may be a contributing factor to whether or not it worked well. I have seen the TRS's and I think they're a waste of money. On the other hand, I own an LRS which is as clear as any scope in that price range. It has good repeatability and I think it was worth the price. I also own an NXS 5.5-22x50 and NO the two are not comparable in any way. However, one also cost more than 4x what the other cost. I say borrow one and put it through its paces. If it works for you, then use it. If not, move on. I've seen numerous people say their Vortex Viper wasn't worth the cost. They should've saved and got a Nightforce. There are those who absolutely love them. Even with the same scope product we don't all see the same and are not using them under identical conditions often, thus you need to try them and determine if it's worth it to you.

I had a millett. Wouldn't track, sent back in for repair, fixed. After 200 rounds wouldn't hold zero. All rings, base, etc tightened. Sent back in and replaced with a new one. Sold it for a Super Sniper 10x which worked perfect. I currently use a Vortex PST 4-16 MOA/MOA FFP and it's freaking awesome. Holds zero, tracks flawless, has a crap ton of features and the glass is good......so yeah, go with the Vortex.

I looked at the Millet before I bought the same scope you have (6.5-20x44 PA) with Mil-dot reticle and Mil adjustments. I couldn't be happier. Seems to hold zero well, at least after dropping my ring torque down to 15 in lbs instead of 20. From my limited experience, Vortex also has rock solid support, not to mention the lifetime, transferable warranty. Fall down a cliff and turn your Vortex into a pretzel, no problem, they will replace it. I say stick with the Vortex. With a 20moa base, you shouldn't have any problems getting the range you want.

Also depending on your load, you should have somewhere around 30MOA of dial up at 1000 yards, assuming your rifle zeroes pretty close to center dial the 68MOA should have you covered, or pretty damn close.

My millett functions just fine and the glass is decent but man it looks like a cannon mounted on my rifle. It is hue especially on a short rifle. Also it came with high rings at first I had to send them in and order low which are still too high.

Glad I'm not the only one having troubly with those damned 35mm rings. Ordered the low rings like the website recomended and theyre still to tall. I do like the scope though, it works well enough for what I ask of it.

I love my trs zero problems tracks like it supposed to 8000 rounds on it I can see my target dropped several times even fell off truck going down road held zero fine got some good scratches on it tho. Was not my first choice but could not afford any thing elce. But it turned out to be a great scope

You spent that much on your chassis and bipod and bought a millet?

That's like building a beautiful brick home and putting a 91 rusted out Chevy in the front yard on blocks.

Stick with the Vortex. I'm running a 6x24 FFP PST on my .308 and was able to strecth it out to 1180 yards accuratley using a 20MOA base and the turrets. At that range you've really spent the cartriages abilities anyway. Any further and you need to be looking a a differant platform. So, long story short, keep the Vortex and smile.

Stick with the Vortex. I have seen many bad reviews on Millet although the Millet DSM-1 worked well for me despite mushy turrets. I have 2 FFP PST 4-16x50 scopes and they are a great buy for the $$$.

You might be ok on a 308, but on anything bigger the vortex is likely to fail. There is a reason everyone talks about their customer service - because if you own a vortex, chances are you have had to call them. My pst fell apart after 12 rounds. I have a buddy that is on his 3rd one after two came apart.

You might be ok on a 308, but on anything bigger the vortex is likely to fail. There is a reason everyone talks about their customer service - because if you own a vortex, chances are you have had to call them. My pst fell apart after 12 rounds. I have a buddy that is on his 3rd one after two came apart.

I own four PST scopes and a Razor HD. One sits on a 7WSM with a brake and has delivered perfectly for well over 400 rounds. My shooting buddy has a couple too and no problems. In fact, I love my Razor spotting scope too.
I'm sorry you had so much trouble with them that you took time to register and make your first post to bash them. Hmmmm.......

I've got the Millet LRS on a 338LM. I've been extremely happy once I got the LOW rings. Tracking has been excellent, clearity good, lots of bells and whistles. Money well spent.

I just bought a Vortex Viper PST 4x16x50 and couldn't be happier, so far. I have looked a Millet that a friend has and IMHO I'd keep the Vortex every time. My 2 cents....keep the Vortex.

For me, it would be the Vortex. I have a Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP, couldn't be happier.

Talk to Vortex on the phone sometime. No bouncing around from person to person, no papers rustling in the background while someone looks for an answer. They know their products.

Another vote for vortex. Mine sits on an EGW 20MOA HD base and Burris XTR rings. I did have to use use their warranty service this past year after I had moisture get in the scope, but they took care of me without question.

96j1hk.jpg

xfb4zs.jpg