• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Meters Ballistics Official Thread

I have a question I’m struggling to figure out. When I build a target card for a stage and get the DOF using the clock setting it will come up with different numbers say 10 o’clock or 3 o’clock ect. I would assume that the target would be 12, is 12 north and the target dof in relation to that?

Second when I then go to capture the wind direction with the same clock setting. It seems to be different than the dof even when pointed in the same direction.

Just seeking clarification and some guidance here since I don’t understand it and therefore don’t trust it at this point.

Did you calibrate the compass?
Yes, multiple times. And have tried on different days and different locations as well. Made sure to calibrate away from buildings and vehicles to avoid interference.

This is a kestrel 5700 elite if it makes a difference

What is it supposed to do as far as target DOF, wind direction in relation to N?

I would think either the target is always 12 or it’s let’s say shooting west it would be 9 and north would be 12???

Reactions: NiteQwill
What is it supposed to do as far as target DOF, wind direction in relation to N?

I would think either the target is always 12 or it’s let’s say shooting west it would be 9 and north would be 12???
The Target DOF is always displayed as a cardinal direction (example 360 degrees is N, 180 degrees is S, etc.). You set target DOF by either pointing the Kestrel at the target and clicking the red/center button OR having a LRF that sends that data directly to the Kestrel (ie Terrapin).

You are correct: Wind is set off the Target's DOF. So if you have a target at 121 degrees, turn your Kestrel left 90 degrees to obtain wind, it will read at 9 o'clock. Turn your Kestrel 180 degrees, and it will read 6 o'clock. etc etc.

Here is my super simplified workflow that I use when shooting matces (very very basic):
Obtain target distance
Obtain DOF by either pointing at the target or using my LRF (from above)
Obtain wind, open anemometer, point into the direction of wind, capture, press END CAPTURE while still pointing at wind

Adjust anything as necessary above

Additionally, this all changes for multiple target engagements

Reactions: Baron85
Only the bullet drop, two different firing solutions with almost the same bullet drop
IMHO it show you drop for 600m and 0 deg angle only and always (small software bug?). For firing solution it use formula (fs = drop x cos30).

Does somebody know how to download latest firmware for Kestrel - 2.08 (8/15/2023)?

Bullet Drop is not a Firing Solution. They are two different outputs. Bullet drop is not your corrected firing solution.
Yes, everybody know that bullet drop IS not a firing solutions, but could you please explain why in AB the values doesn’t change ? Different angles have different bullet drops, as I show with the screenshots from Lapua ballistic software, in AB an increased angle give me a bullet drop very close ( always bigger ) to other values starting from zero.
as Madpat wrote may be a small software bug ?

I am trying to reconcile what I observed at a match this past weekend. I am very new to PRS and long range in general, and there is a lot I do not know. All of my impacts (mostly misses) were low. I know I have to believe the bullet and adjust, it's something I'm working on but I am not fully there yet.

I was using a MV of 2740, which I measured with a magnetospeed a few months ago when the ambient temp was 86*. The actual temperature at the match was 56*. I still had 2740 entered as my MV, but I did have real world environmentals entered into the kestrel. I did not true my dope at distance this day. To my understanding a lower ambient temperature yields a slower MV, correct? And that could be as much as 1 to 2 fps per degree? So in theory I was looking at anywhere from 30-60 fps slower than what I had entered? If I go into my kestrel now and adjust the MV for a hypothetical slower speed, the solution I am given aligns much more closely to my memory of my impacts at this most recent match. On the phone app, there is the MV-temp table; which I only have the one entry for at the 86*. If I had numerous data points at various temperatures, would that provide a more accurate solution for the conditions of the day? I can't imagine the kestrel can extrapolate enough from just the one entry point.

I am scratching my head because this also coincides with me running a new scope, as I replaced my previous scope under warranty earlier in the season. At the earlier matches with my previous scope I shot well, but since replacing the scope I have not. So I am questioning if my scope is tracking correctly. I plan to do a tall target test to confirm tracking. I think if the scope tracks correctly, then using an incorrect MV as a result of not truing my data the day of the match is to blame.

Is my thought process on this sound? Is there something else I could be overlooking?

I am trying to reconcile what I observed at a match this past weekend. I am very new to PRS and long range in general, and there is a lot I do not know. All of my impacts (mostly misses) were low. I know I have to believe the bullet and adjust, it's something I'm working on but I am not fully there yet.

I was using a MV of 2740, which I measured with a magnetospeed a few months ago when the ambient temp was 86*. The actual temperature at the match was 56*. I still had 2740 entered as my MV, but I did have real world environmentals entered into the kestrel. I did not true my dope at distance this day. To my understanding a lower ambient temperature yields a slower MV, correct? And that could be as much as 1 to 2 fps per degree? So in theory I was looking at anywhere from 30-60 fps slower than what I had entered? If I go into my kestrel now and adjust the MV for a hypothetical slower speed, the solution I am given aligns much more closely to my memory of my impacts at this most recent match. On the phone app, there is the MV-temp table; which I only have the one entry for at the 86*. If I had numerous data points at various temperatures, would that provide a more accurate solution for the conditions of the day? I can't imagine the kestrel can extrapolate enough from just the one entry point.

I am scratching my head because this also coincides with me running a new scope, as I replaced my previous scope under warranty earlier in the season. At the earlier matches with my previous scope I shot well, but since replacing the scope I have not. So I am questioning if my scope is tracking correctly. I plan to do a tall target test to confirm tracking. I think if the scope tracks correctly, then using an incorrect MV as a result of not truing my data the day of the match is to blame.

Is my thought process on this sound? Is there something else I could be overlooking?
the new scope is a change to your rifle, you need to re-zero and then do Cal MV and stop adjusting the Kestrel for environment conditions, that is what it is supposed to do. The Temp table is for powder sensitivity, the Kestrel adjusts automatically for weather change.

Reactions: XP1K
The recently updated app shows the profiles quite spaciously.
Can you check this?
The phone is S10+ in 1440x3040 resolution, running android 12.
I tested the app with 720p resolution and it looked the same.
1697106536318.png

Last edited:
@Kestrel Ballistics My question is about using the Kestrel Link Ballistics (KLB) app to load sectors on my Kestrel 5700 Elite. I have searched and not found my answer.

I have an iPhone and when I go into KLB and select target card it shows a greyed out Rng Card I the upper right corner. From here I can load up targets and send them over to the Kestrel as long as I have the sector
open I want to load. There is no way to save sectors on the phone that I can find.

Why do I ask? My
buddy has an Android and his KLB is different than mine in that he can go to target cars and select Sectors in the upper right corner and it saves his sectors on his phone. This would be extremely handy for me to have since I shoot the same ranges quite often and would save lots of time. I could tweak any COF changes on the fly instead of building them.

We couldn’t find anything on the Kestrel sight that says the two operating systems differ in form factor in regards to sectors.

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to help me out.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 10.29.36 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 10.29.36 PM.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8899.jpeg
    IMG_8899.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 26
@Kestrel Ballistics My question is about using the Kestrel Link Ballistics (KLB) app to load sectors on my Kestrel 5700 Elite. I have searched and not found my answer.

I have an iPhone and when I go into KLB and select target card it shows a greyed out Rng Card I the upper right corner. From here I can load up targets and send them over to the Kestrel as long as I have the sector
open I want to load. There is no way to save sectors on the phone that I can find.

Why do I ask? My
buddy has an Android and his KLB is different than mine in that he can go to target cars and select Sectors in the upper right corner and it saves his sectors on his phone. This would be extremely handy for me to have since I shoot the same ranges quite often and would save lots of time. I could tweak any COF changes on the fly instead of building them.

We couldn’t find anything on the Kestrel sight that says the two operating systems differ in form factor in regards to sectors.

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to help me out.
It’s my understanding that the update for apple devices hasn’t been released yet. Last I heard was that it might be pushed next week

Yes I know, but why with different angle the drop doesn’t change ? For example with the Lapua application we can see the difference zero angle one drop value, with 30 degrees a different drop value
damn i feel bad for Kestrel now. Which I dont think Ive ever thought or considered - love/hate...but having to field all these BONEHEADED questions must be another 60k/yr job

Recommend instead - get up out of your own bubble, invest in your own competency, and go to Frank Galli's class (and SSgt. Taylor pending xyz). They'll have every answer you will need.

Recommend instead - get up out of your own bubble, invest in your own competency, and go to Frank Galli's class (and SSgt. Taylor pending xyz). They'll have every answer you will need.
In reality any hardware manufacturer has to have FAQs, How Tos, and good customer relations to allow folks to use their products effectively. If not people won’t use them. Or use them begrudgingly and the moment another more user friendly device comes out they’ll switch…. Case in point Lab Radar…. I saw the writing on the wall with them for a LONG time now and the fact that they did not says a lot about their corporate strategy or lack of….

I have a really dumb question.. I’m using a chronograph near every time I shoot long range… to be specific an FX True Ballistics. I am using my Kestrel for my firing solution as well and using the custom BC for each bullet I’m running. Now. The dumb question I have is. I don’t need to true up my velocity since I’m taking empirical data… so does that mean I true up my BC…? When the solution is off? And if so how?

I have a really dumb question.. I’m using a chronograph near every time I shoot long range… to be specific an FX True Ballistics. I am using my Kestrel for my firing solution as well and using the custom BC for each bullet I’m running. Now. The dumb question I have is. I don’t need to true up my velocity since I’m taking empirical data… so does that mean I true up my BC…? When the solution is off? And if so how?
It’s easy to draw that conclusion, and it’s not one I disagree with, but the kestrel folks will tell you that you will still likely need to do both. I’ve done neither with great success out to a mile with a 6BR shooting 105 Hyrbids and a velocity of 2840 over my Magnetospeed.

Reactions: category_theory
It’s easy to draw that conclusion, and it’s not one I disagree with, but the kestrel folks will tell you that you will still likely need to do both. I’ve done neither with great success out to a mile with a 6BR shooting 105 Hyrbids and a velocity of 2840 over my Magnetospeed.
Thank you sir!

Reactions: Tokay444
If you are using the Custom Drag Model (CDM) the only thing you can true is the speed. If everything else is correct, zero is good, it will be very close at all reasonable distances.

Since we're asking dumb questions today, I got one. What does it mean when you get a negative DA, in this case, -853, and what does that mean for the shooting ?

Nothing to worry about….

View attachment 8293098
Wasn't really worried, more curious than anything. I'm still pretty new to all this. I've put accurate info into the kestrel with a few of my rifles and had good results but I still really don't have a good understanding of what all the kestrel has to offer.

What I can't figure out is why my kestrel and my geoballistics rangefinder won't spit out the same correction when the inputs are identical. The GB is a full minute high. Yeah I use MOA. Maybe that's the issue ?

Wasn't really worried, more curious than anything. I'm still pretty new to all this. I've put accurate info into the kestrel with a few of my rifles and had good results but I still really don't have a good understanding of what all the kestrel has to offer.

What I can't figure out is why my kestrel and my geoballistics rangefinder won't spit out the same correction when the inputs are identical. The GB is a full minute high. Yeah I use MOA. Maybe that's the issue ?
I literally had the same issue… even have a thread around here about it. In my instance it was a combo of updating the rifles (my updates didn’t save on GB). And the differences in atmospheric data. And the differences in the BC models…. I use custom models on AB and not GB…. Anyway double and triple check everything and they should be close-ish…. GB is great but settings can become off since it’s pull env data from stations near by while the Kestrel is pulling from its sensors..

Since we're asking dumb questions today, I got one. What does it mean when you get a negative DA, in this case, -853, and what does that mean for the shooting ?
Usually low altitude and high pressure. I saw -1650ish at NRL22X match a year ago, elevation there was 140 feet IIRC.

You can play around with this online calculator to see what changes what:

My post was a dumbass joke.

My range I shoot at is at 230' above sea level in the northeast.

I often get the negative DALT readings.

I am not cross referencing one device with another so I never questioned it. Perhaps I should have.

I always just thought it was an issue with what the pressure and RH sensors were calculating.

Hi all - is there bullet data on the Lapua Super Long Range 22LR? Running a Kestrel 5700 Elite with AP. Thanks in advance.
By name, no. I'm sure several of the Lapua PDM's listed as "Other" are; typical .120-.138 G1 ranges.

I’m excited to setup my Kestrel 5700 Elite but I’m having a little struggle

I shoot Hornady TAP 168 gen ELD; when I open the app on my phone there are several varieties of the 168 grn ELD with different ballistic coefficients; how do I determine which one I have?

I’m also unsure whether to use G1, G7, or custom

Any help is appreciated

I shoot Hornady TAP 168 gen ELD; when I open the app on my phone there are several varieties of the 168 grn ELD with different ballistic coefficients; how do I determine which one I have?

Any help is appreciated
Choose the "Hornady ELD Match 0.308 168gr", the "Hornady TAP 168gr" entry there is for the TAP Amax SKU.

Is users preference on the solver type, but since you have an Elite try the AB custom curve. Note, it will show "1.000" for the BC when using these.

Any help is appreciated
Always use the CDM when possible. This will always be more accurate than using a G1 or G7 can be. Here is some light reading on that https://appliedballisticsllc.com/wp...-Arms-Improving-on-Ballistic-Coefficients.pdf

Reactions: giumau1
If I own a Kestrel with AB, do I get access to the AB PC interface or is that something completely different? Is there a Kestrel PC interface?