• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Meters Ballistics Official Thread

I true'd my Kestrel velocity at sea level. If I travel to a match where the elevation is 4300ft, do I need to re-true my kestrel?

I tried both phone and desktop with a doggle.
The PC app is not very intuitive.
On the PC run Kestel LiNK then click Help>Update Your Kestrel
You will get a pop-up window with instructions and a download link for the latest firmware installer.
Download and install the .exe it offers.
The Kestrel LiNK app will then have the 1.49 firmware available to upgrade your Kestrel.

Thank you 6.5SH. I appreciate the time you took to help me out.

I called the 800 number and I'm pretty sure I had Frank on the Kestrel end pulling his hair out. The problem was I had an old version of the Kestrel Link app on my phone. So deleted that and got the up to date Kestrel Link Ballistics app. Both phone and meter are downloading th new data as I type this.

Reactions: 6.5SH
Hi,

I have observed that the density altitude that Kestrel calculated does not match up with the DA that is shown or calculated by nearby local airports. For ex: As of 06/05/2023 the Raton Municipal airport is showing Temp 57 F, Humidity 80%, Pressure 30.25 in Hg and DA as 7328 Ft. However if I enter the Lat and same environmental parameters in Kestrel, I only get a DA of -342 ft. Can you check why Kestrel is showing a diff number for DA vs that calculated by local airport?

Link to Weather/DA calculation for Raton Airport

1685999012722.png

1685998997355.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 1.50.07 PM.png

so what does the kestrel say when you actually let it do environmentals and not just enter data?

Hi,

I have observed that the density altitude that Kestrel calculated does not match up with the DA that is shown or calculated by nearby local airports. For ex: As of 06/05/2023 the Raton Municipal airport is showing Temp 57 F, Humidity 80%, Pressure 30.25 in Hg and DA as 7328 Ft. However if I enter the Lat and same environmental parameters in Kestrel, I only get a DA of -342 ft. Can you check why Kestrel is showing a diff number for DA vs that calculated by local airport?

Link to Weather/DA calculation for Raton Airport

View attachment 8156266

View attachment 8156265View attachment 8156264
Because the kestrel wants uncorrected pressure not corrected.

Also, any DA within 500 ft, hell even 1000 feet will be more than enough.

so what does the kestrel say when you actually let it do environmentals and not just enter data?
I am sitting in WA, so cannot physically check station pressure in Raton. Hence I checked diff weather websites and also the website for Raton airport to get the environmentals. When I enter those environmentals in kestrel I get a diff number for DA vs what the Raton airport is showing. Trying to understand if I am calculating DA wrong or the airport is on a diff calculation or something else.

@_Windrider_ : What do you mean by "uncorrected Pressure"? ...thanks

I am sitting in WA, so cannot physically check station pressure in Raton. Hence I checked diff weather websites and also the website for Raton airport to get the environmentals. When I enter those environmentals in kestrel I get a diff number for DA vs what the Raton airport is showing. Trying to understand if I am calculating DA wrong or the airport is on a diff calculation or something else.

@_Windrider_ : What do you mean by "uncorrected Pressure"? ...thanks
That number you are using is barometric pressure, it’s what we use in aviation. It’s corrected for sea level. You need to use station or absolute pressure which is uncorrected. In order to use barometric you need your elevation.

Reactions: harry_x1
ok...I figured out where I was confused. I had checked AB documentation before raising this thread...however I was confused after reading the write up and assumed that the Barometric Pressure reported by Airports should be roughly close to station pressure (though not 100% same). But now I figure that the reported Barometric pressure can be way way diff than station pressure, especially on higher elevations. Thanks for those who helped.

ok...I figured out where I was confused. I had checked AB documentation before raising this thread...however I was confused after reading the write up and assumed that the Barometric Pressure reported by Airports should be roughly close to station pressure (though not 100% same). But now I figure that the reported Barometric pressure can be way way diff than station pressure, especially on higher elevations. Thanks for those who helped.
Use 23.24”Hg and see what you get. Raton is approx 6680 feet elevation. Standard pressure would be 29.92 - 6.68 or 23.24. That’s not exact but it will be in the ball park

Use 23.24”Hg and see what you get. Raton is approx 6680 feet elevation. Standard pressure would be 29.92 - 6.68 or 23.24. That’s not exact but it will be in the ball park
Yup...figured that out now...thanks all those who helped clarify

Place your wind sensor in pairing mode, then follow the steps below on your watch.

1. Ensure the Kestrel is in Ballistics Modeand Bluetooth is set to PC/Mobile.
  2. Hold UP to enter the Main Menu.
  3. Select Sensors & Accessories.
  4. Select Add New+.
  5. Select Other.
  6. Locate and select the wind sensor.

Using the Wind Sensor with Applied Ballistics on Your Watch​

1. Press START/STOP to open the activity list.
  2. Select Applied Ballistics.
  3. Press START/STOP.
  4. Select Environment.
  5. Choose Auto Update, or make changes to individual items.
    • Options: Wind Speed 1, Wind Speed 2, Wind Direction, Temperature, Amb/Stn Pressure, and Humidity.
Once paired, the wind sensor will show as connected in the sensor menu.

I recently picked up a Terrapin X to use along with my Kestrel, and am having difficulties maintaining connectivity. I'm able to pair the two, but as soon as either device goes to sleep and is turned back on, the connection is lost. The Terrapin shows a solid bluetooth icon, but when I range something, the new data doesn't feed into the Kestrel.

The issue can be resolved by going into the Kestrel bluetooth settings and repairing the devices, but I'm assuming I shouldn't have to do that everytime.

Firmware is up to date on both, and I changed the refresh rate to 2s on the Kestrel as I saw suggested in a different thread. Any suggestions?

Shot a hunter match using 5700 Elite and Sig 3K but I had trouble keeping link between them. It didn’t matter if I scanned target or single shot ranged it still wouldn’t keep connection or give feed back to kestrel.

Checked Bluetooth setting to make sure it was on device instead of mobile too.

Buddy of mine had same issues with his 5700 Ballistics and Sig 3K it just wouldn’t stay connected and his wouldn’t give hold over feedback to Sig 3K also had a * symbol on his Kestrel I could get mine to give feedback in the binos after multiple scans.

I have a pin # for device connection and using ABX on the Sig 3ks

What does everyone use on Sig 3K for reading steel targets in the woods for better results I have mine set on Best right now.

Thanks for any help.

Quick question- inside “Target” menu my kesteral is showing TS as 2 mph. Is this by default or should I make it zero. Am shooting stationary targets. I never touched this number so not sure why it is showing 2mph.

Attachments

• 7E26E635-BDB9-417B-B4BA-A260760CD439.jpeg
    7E26E635-BDB9-417B-B4BA-A260760CD439.jpeg
    395.7 KB · Views: 35
I own a Accuracy International AXMC which I shoot with 3 barrels and always with the same scope mounted (don't take it off). Obviously all 3 barrels/calibers have somewhat different zeros on the scope. For Example my 6.5Creed has its zero on my S&B at 3 clicks UP and 4 clicks RIGHT (versus zero 0/0 on the scope) and my 300 Norma Magnum has 5 clicks UP and 2 clicks LEFT (versus zero 0/0 on the scope).

Should/ can I use "Zero Height" and "Zero Offset" for this? And if so, what should I input?

Or should I compensate for that in another way as ideally I would like to have the absolute # of clicks (eg the # of clicks starting from 0 on the scope turret to eg 14 mil that comes from the kestrel is 14 clicks from 0)to to adjust for distance x versus only the relative change as I'm afraid I forget what it what set to wen I start turning

Last edited:
I have own a Accuracy International AXMC which I shoot with 3 barrels and always with the same scope mounted (don't take it off). Obviously all 3 barrels/calibers have somewhat different zeros on the scope. For Example my 6.5Creed has its zero on my S&B at 3 clicks UP and 4 clicks RIGHT (versus zero 0/0 on the scope) and my 300 Norma Magnum has 5 clicks UP and 2 clicks LEFT (versus zero 0/0 on the scope).

Should/ can I use "Zero Height" and "Zero Offset" for this? And if so, what should I input?

Or should I compensate for that in another way as ideally I would like to have the absolute # of clicks (eg the # of clicks starting from 0 on the scope turret to eg 14 mil that comes from the kestrel is 14 clicks from 0)to to adjust for distance x versus only the relative change as I'm afraid I forget what it what set to wen I start turning
Yes you can use the ZH and ZO to compensate for barrel offset. You just have to remember which barrel you are using as the baseline. You would just enter this as MILS or MOA whatever your scope is.

Reactions: tyfoon
When I select a bullet from the bullet library I always have the choice between G1, G7 and AB Custom curve.

I did some random checks and I did not find a single bullet that does not have an AB custom curve.

Does that a) mean that all bullets in the library have a real -by AB measured- custom curve? and b) what would be the reason NOT the choose AB custom curve?

Last edited:
When I select a bullet from the bullet library I always have the choice between G1, G7 and AB Custom curve.

I did some random checks and I did not find a single bullet that does not have an AB custom curve.

Does that a) mean that all bullets in the library have a real -by AB measured- custom curve? and b) what would be the reason NOT the choose AB custom curve?
I’ve got a set of Sig Kilo 3k binos that don’t support the CDMs. Also you can’t adjust the bc at all for CDM manually if it doesn’t match your dope.

Quick question- inside “Target” menu my kesteral is showing TS as 2 mph. Is this by default or should I make it zero. Am shooting stationary targets. I never touched this number so not sure why it is showing 2mph.
"TS" = Target Speed. Set it to whatever you want. It will then calculate your mover (Lead) solution based on range, enviros, etc.

Huh. Now that is clever as shit; I may have to order some of those. I like the micro USB charging, because I can leave a set in the truck and charge them on the way out to the range...

Yeah, I'm going to have to give these a try. Thanks for posting this!
I agree - game changer! Amazon - take my money

Tag

I try to pick the same 22LR ammo in strelok and kestrel but it seems no matter what I pick they have different data. I will get a value of like 14.8 mils vs 16.37. I do noticed that bc is not same and diameter is not same as each uses different values from its ammo database. I guess I will have to try out at the range and see which number actually hits. I was wondering what I need to do to get them to agree and also wondering which is more accurate.

I try to pick the same 22LR ammo in strelok and kestrel but it seems no matter what I pick they have different data. I will get a value of like 14.8 mils vs 16.37. I do noticed that bc is not same and diameter is not same as each uses different values from its ammo database. I guess I will have to try out at the range and see which number actually hits. I was wondering what I need to do to get them to agree and also wondering which is more accurate.
For 22LR, you need to do drop scale factor (DSF).

I personally zero at 50 yards. Then do DSF mode at 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300 yards.

Try using the Kestrel 22LR guide here:

Works perfectly for me.

Reactions: Jef291
ok, I have seen some videos on this and of course I would need to chrono my ammo to do this right
Like anything the more accurate your data the better the result. Given DSF truing is based on measured distances and impact points the box velocity can work as a starting point if you can't chronograph.

Does anyone have link to or their own efficient and reliable process to populate a kestrel/garmin tactix ab/or HUD target card from a linked range finder?

Does anyone have link to or their own efficient and reliable process to populate a kestrel/garmin tactix ab/or HUD target card from a linked range finder?
Link all devices.

Select Target A, range target, select Target B, range target, etc.

It works for me and I can build a HUD target card in seconds.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Question about drop value.
why the value of the drop doesn’t change ?

first two pictures, distance 600 meters, angle zero, 3.89 MIL, drop -315.82 cm

other two pictures, distance 600 meters angle 30 degrees, 3.21 MIL, drop - 316.97 cm ( also a little bit more )

I‘v checked it with several caliber and the result is always the same, the drop value doesn’t change between a solution with zero or with a presence of an angle shooting

Attachments

• IMG_8301.jpeg
    IMG_8301.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8302.jpeg
    IMG_8302.jpeg
    404.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8303.jpeg
    IMG_8303.jpeg
    395.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8304.jpeg
    IMG_8304.jpeg
    429.7 KB · Views: 32

other two pictures, distance 600 meters angle 30 degrees, 3.21 MIL, drop - 316.97 cm ( also a little bit more )

I‘v checked it with several caliber and the result is always the same, the drop value doesn’t change between a solution with zero or with a presence of an angle shooting
AFAIK angle only shows in the Target menu not the Ballistics menu

Drop is not a firing solution. Drop is the true drop the bullet experiences from the time it leaves the barrel. This is not used to calculate your firing solution.

Drop is not a firing solution. Drop is the true drop the bullet experiences from the time it leaves the barrel. This is not used to calculate your firing solution.
Yes I know, but why with different angle the drop doesn’t change ? For example with the Lapua application we can see the difference zero angle one drop value, with 30 degrees a different drop value

Attachments

• IMG_8370.png
    IMG_8370.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8371.png
    IMG_8371.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 34