• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Meters Ballistics Official Thread

Look at your MV Temp table, the Calc MV calibrations have been recorded there if you want to turn the temp table on. Otherwise the MV entry in your profile is used for the calculation along with the environmental info the Kestrel reads.

Went to use Kestrel for first time since updating today.

It would not Bluetooth directly to my Bushnell ConX.

Sure its something simple....just have to go through the directions again.

Is there a setting in the kestrel to lock the DOF?

I am wanting to lock it so my rangefinder does not update the DOF.

Not sure if this is the right place to post.

Is there any work being done to create a series of target cards that can be saved and recalled on the 5700? At a typical 2-day PRS-style match, we've got the match booklet on Friday with all the target ranges. I'd like to be able to enter all the stages in at once with distances and DOF. Then recall them at the stage to get elevation and windage based on the current environment/wind. The best case would be 25 stages with a max of 7 targets per stage. I think most are likely maxing out at 5 targets per stage, but if you're going to add something I'd put a couple more in there to support the odd-ball stage.

You can input the data but do not use the table until you have at least 3 entries.

Ok so I finally have three temp readings (60, 80 and 100). Once I put this info in the MV temp Table, which do I pick for the Muzzle Velocity in the Gun Data section?

When I use Cal MV at 10% less than trans to true, and I have entered the new MV into my MV temp table at the current temp.After all that is done do I just enter
the next 3 entries with20 degrees difference by using the MV from my lab radar or do I need to re CAL MV for the current temp all over again.

When I use Cal MV at 10% less than trans to true, and I have entered the new MV into my MV temp table at the current temp.After all that is done do I just enter
the next 3 entries with20 degrees difference by using the MV from my lab radar or do I need to re CAL MV for the current temp all over again.
Best results will come from using cal MV at different temperatures. Remember this is calculating the mv change with powder temp change, so refrigerate your ammo and ice chest it to the range and laser measure its temp and manually set the meter's temp to the ammo temp with Environment locked after getting a full environment reading. Do this as the ammo warms outside the cooler and you can get a series of temps and entries at one range visit.

@Kestrel Ballistics - Are there any known issues with a 5700 (Ballistics model with AB Elite upgrade applied) connecting to an iPhone 8? I checked the support info on the website, but couldn't find anything about specific iPhone models?

Going to try and sync up the kestrel to the app tomorrow. It'll be nice just pulling out the kestrel and seeing the elevation I need for diff distances right on the device.

Go into your gun profile in the Kestrel and select MV and press enter. Cursor down to MV Temp and the left/right arrows will turn on and off unless you have no entries in the table, then you need to press enter to go to submenu and add an entry. At that point on off will work.

Reactions: AFancyPenguin
From another thread comment? is there a way to "tweak" your Kestrel to keep the rangefinder (Con-x) connected via the Bluetooth?

the Link app like you would use with a Drop

OK, I'm pretty "new" so do I open both? I think that the rangefinder is connected through the ballistics app along with the gun profiles, however they are already uploaded. Thanks BTW.

Turn your LRF off, make sure the Bluetooth is enabled on the Kestrel and set to PC/Mobile.
On your phone make sure Bluetooth and Location are enabled. Start the Link app and follow the screenshots.

Once the setting has been changed and sent to the Kestrel, fully exit the Link app on your phone.
Change the Bluetooth setting back to Device on the Kestrel. Turn your LRF back on and test it out.

Turn your LRF off, make sure the Bluetooth is enabled on the Kestrel and set to PC/Mobile.
On your phone make sure Bluetooth and Location are enabled. Start the Link app and follow the screenshots.

Once the setting has been changed and sent to the Kestrel, fully exit the Link app on your phone.
Change the Bluetooth setting back to Device on the Kestrel. Turn your LRF back on and test it out.

I guess I worded that poorly, I managed to change the setting, but with the Kestrel AP you really don't need your phone? so am I done? or do I just use the link app?

You are only using the phone to change the setting on Kestrel, that setting is not adjustable directly on the Kestrel. Think of the phone as acting as a remote control. Once the setting is changed you don't need to use the phone again.

Reactions: mildot326
You are only using the phone to change the setting on Kestrel, that setting is not adjustable directly on the Kestrel. Think of the phone as acting as a remote control. Once the setting is changed you don't need to use the phone again.

Got it, just did a "test" run and it worked like a charm, thanks , and for your patience as well, Cheers

Reactions: 6.5SH
Ok trying to figure out what I'm missing for the mover lead. Just shot a 22lr match where the mover was spec'd at 1mph. Kestrel told me 2.8 mil lead which was way too much. Actual was like 1.4 or 1.5. No wind was input. Range was 87 yards i think? Or there about. What did I do wrong to get a lead so off? I will say that was my first match I shot solely off kestrel data and it was my best match to date. Once I got my DSFs figured out the data output has been ridiculously accurate for drop and wind.

Ok trying to figure out what I'm missing for the mover lead. Just shot a 22lr match where the mover was spec'd at 1mph. Kestrel told me 2.8 mil lead which was way too much. Actual was like 1.4 or 1.5. No wind was input. Range was 87 yards i think? Or there about. What did I do wrong to get a lead so off? I will say that was my first match I shot solely off kestrel data and it was my best match to date. Once I got my DSFs figured out the data output has been ridiculously accurate for drop and wind.

Kestrel usually has something like a static 2mph mover speed inputted. Without seeing your kestrel, probably had the default 2mph still in there somehow. 1mph is 1.5 and 2mph is about 2.9 @ 87yds.

Kestrel usually has something like a static 2mph mover speed inputted. Without seeing your kestrel, probably had the default 2mph still in there somehow. 1mph is 1.5 and 2mph is about 2.9 @ 87yds.
Spot on. I'm an idiot. Reduced to 1mph and lead was 1.42. My memory was if me seeing the correction after I made that change but I just redid it and sure enough I obviously remembered wrong. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Dthomas3523
Seem to be having trouble with the ISO App Kestrel Ballistic. the App is freezing up and will not go into target mode so you can see kestrel data on phone.

Do we need to update the app and Kestrel? I just did the last firmware update about a month or so ago? Thanks

Do we need to update the app and Kestrel? I just did the last firmware update about a month or so ago? Thanks
Just update the app to solve the app problem. If you have an Elite you also need to updated Kestrel fw to 1.42 for a problem that affected bullet data if you switched between custom, G7 and G1 in the kestrel profile.

Just update the app to solve the app problem. If you have an Elite you also need to updated Kestrel fw to 1.42 for a problem that affected bullet data if you switched between custom, G7 and G1 in the kestrel profile.

Everything is updated single target engagement still not working. The app. shows no updates available. My Kestrel is updated to the Elite version. My iOS is 14.0.1 . All other features seem to work but App freezes up when selecting Single target engagement. My App is 1.237 does not show a 1.240 version

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything is updated single target engagement still not working. The app. shows no updates available. My Kestrel is updated to the Elite version. My iOS is 14.0.1 . All other features seem to work but App freezes up when selecting Single target engagement. My App is 1.237 does not show a 1.240 version

+1

Check to see if your phone is set to auto update, if not update the app. If you still cannot, make sure your profiles are all copied down to the Kestrel and then delete the app and download fresh from the app store.

Check to see if your phone is set to auto update, if not update the app. If you still cannot, make sure your profiles are all copied down to the Kestrel and then delete the app and download fresh from the app store.
I did the delete the app and reinstall yesterday and still got build 237 again. The App Store is showing version 1.237 as the latest version posted 6 months ago.

Reactions: DellaDog
I did the delete the app and reinstall yesterday and still got build 237 again. The App Store is showing version 1.237 as the latest version posted 6 months ago.
I did a little test and went to the app store via a web browser and searched for Kestrel ..it had the latest version 1.240 with a note that it fixes some iOS 14 issues...I rebooted by phone trying to force a refresh of the app store app and still shows 1.237 as the latest version. So this looks like an Apple issues (surprise, surprise) in getting the App Store refreshed for the iphone.

I did a little test and went to the app store via a web browser and searched for Kestrel ..it had the latest version 1.240 with a note that it fixes some iOS 14 issues...I rebooted by phone trying to force a refresh of the app store app and still shows 1.237 as the latest version. So this looks like an Apple issues (surprise, surprise) in getting the App Store refreshed for the iphone.
Found a solution:

Where to find your hidden iPhone app updates
1. Open the App Store.

2. Tap on your Profile icon in the top-right corner.

3. Scroll down to the Pending Updates section, where you'll find any app updates waiting to be installed. You can still use pull-to-refresh to force your device to look for updates.

Reactions: DellaDog
Has anyone had issues with opening app on iphone? when l try to do anything in app related to my saved favorites the app shuts down and take me back to my phones home screen. lt was happening on my old iphone 8 so Bought a new iphone 11 same issue. Hornady says no issues on their end?? Help

Has anyone had issues with opening app on iphone? when l try to do anything in app related to my saved favorites the app shuts down and take me back to my phones home screen. lt was happening on my old iphone 8 so Bought a new iphone 11 same issue. Hornady says no issues on their end?? Help
Are you running build 240?

Went to Kestrel Link.

Hit Firmware update for a Sportsman upgraded to 5700 Elite.

My firmware is 1.41 when I turn the device on.

When I request a Firmware update it says I have the latest version.

Shouldnt it be 1.42?

Latest Kestrel firmware is 1.42
Latest iOS app is bild 240

and it works together right

I updated my 5700 elite and lost all of my saved profiles. Any chance of recovery? I'm at 1.42

Edit- nevermind. This is on me for not backing my data up as recommended in the thread about the 1.42 firmware update

Last edited:
@Kestrel Ballistics
I have a kestrel sportsman upgraded to elite fw 1.42
I also have a leica 8*56 3200.com
distances ranged from the leica turn up perfectly on the kestrel
I was expecting ballistics result to be transmitted back to the leica binos. that doesn't happen
suggestions?