• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Meters Ballistics Official Thread

Again, use the app to build your gun profile using the AB bullet library, Custom if available, G7 if not, transfer the profile to the Kestrel and do the Calc MV function in the Gun Profile in submenu MV. That is what trues the Kestrel to your rifle. Until you do that, you have not completed the basic data input.
Ok, thank you.
Defeats the purpose of me buying the Kestrel, but, we shall shoot many bullits.
Appreciate the feedback.

Why do you think that defeats the purpose of the Kestel? FWIW You true the Kestrel to your real world data, then it adjusts the outputs to correct for environment and wind. Not the other way around. The Kestrel is the second step not the first.

I have DOPE from that round at
500=1.6mil
1000=6.7mil
1100=8.6mil
Temp was 64dgr and actual Elevation is 29'.
Previous DOPE was with a different round, load and manufacturer, same location.
It honestly looks like dope for 400/900/1100. I’d verify your distances. No way that bullet only needs 1.6 @ 500 and 6.7 @ 1000, then 8.6 @ 1100. The 1100 dope looks right.

Ok, thank you.
Appreciate the feedback.
It doesn't, with my kestrel, good data(bullet, sob, environment, shot angle), a good zero, and dope at a verified distance right before transonic. I can get all this done with one box of ammo and the MV on the box. 5 shots to zero, the rest to get good dope, at 600y for me, on a waterline 5 shots grouped on the line. Either use the Cal MV, or adjust the MV until you match the known dope. If you use a G vs a custom curve you may need a few shots out at a longer distance to true the BC.

It doesn't, with my kestrel, good data(bullet, sob, environment, shot angle), a good zero, and dope at a verified distance right before transonic. I can get all this done with one box of ammo and the MV on the box. 5 shots to zero, the rest to get good dope, at 600y for me, on a waterline 5 shots grouped on the line. Either use the Cal MV, or adjust the MV until you match the known dope. If you use a G vs a custom curve you may need a few shots out at a longer distance to true the BC.
Looks like I will be shooting for a year on the range at best.
Say 5+ rifles and a bunch of different ammo, sounds fun and expensive.
And time consuming.
Anyway, appreciate all the feedback and insight.
Thank you!

Sp my Kestrel 5700 Elite with Link om IOS does not seem to be updated past FW143. I believe 145 is the latest? Have soft reset the 5700 and deleted and reloaded APP on IOS?

Sp my Kestrel 5700 Elite with Link om IOS does not seem to be updated past FW143. I believe 145 is the latest? Have soft reset the 5700 and deleted and reloaded APP on IOS?
145 is still a not available via Link. If you have a USB connection, you can get it now. Link needs some final checking, could be today up to a few days for testing.

Ok, thank you.
Appreciate the feedback.
As with any and EVERY calculator, garbage in is garbage out. You have left out a variable on your inputs, but are expecting the correct outputs. Name another calculator that can solve for that unknown input AND give the correct output in the same equation.

As with any and EVERY calculator, garbage in is garbage out. You have left out a variable on your inputs, but are expecting the correct outputs. Name another calculator that can solve for that unknown input AND give the correct output in the same equation.
Thank you.
I have found the answer.
I already admitted I was a novice.
I have multible people telling me that I am the problem.
Point taken.
Appreciate the feedback.

Thank you.
I have found the answer.
I already admitted I was a novice.
I have multible people telling me that I am the problem.
Point taken.
Appreciate the feedback.
Would be happy to talk you through it over the phone, or hop on one of the kestrel video training sessions.

Last edited:
No need to be embarrassed or offended. There are people here who really understand the Kestrel and are willing to help. They ask for the info and/or screenshots to try and troubleshoot what went wrong. Everyone makes mistakes, or forgets an input. Let us help you, and don’t stop asking questions that’s how everyone learns 👍

Would be happy to talk you through it over the phone, of hop on one of the kestrel video training sessions.
Thank you for the generous offer and I may take you up on it. My biggest issue is knowledge and logistics.
On the knowledge side is figuring out where to put the target for MV truing for each rifle and load.
Logistics side is that I shoot by myself. So spotting at distance and figuring out the adjustments is a tad challenging.
I don't self load, and buy good ammo, when I can get it, but have already figured out the variances even in lot numbers, so, the real reason for the Kestrel was to have multiple rifles, with multiple loads, and/or if I picked up a new load, to enter the data, and at least be able to hit the target, then adjust.
Which, I have just learned, if being very optimistic on my part.
But, no worries.
I am not offended.
I belong to a boating site that is just like this one.
Couple of folks are knowledgeable and helpful, others just like to see what they type.
One step at a time.

👆 👆 👆 👆 👆
Part of getting good with the solvers is be very particular with inputs and be a consistent enough shooter to not chase your tail.

Disclaimer-Complete newb with the Kestrel.

So, I bought my first Kestrel. Wasn’t paying attention and bought one with out Link. Mine says “Elite Ballistics” on the unit. Can Kestrel add link to it?
6BEB5615-1F70-4823-B6E0-2577BFD92952.png
684C4C28-2239-458E-888C-DC264D35CC04.png

I have a 4500AB and just purchased a 5700 Elite with Link. Are there instructions on how to transfer profiles from the 4500 to the 5700?

Does not. Have the interface saddle that will connect to my Surface where all of my profiles are stored with AB Loader

Easiest way would be to back them all up in the profile loader, and either use BTLE or the 5700 series cable (Different from the 4500) to then transfer them to your new Kestrel with the same app.

Easiest way would be to back them all up in the profile loader, and either use BTLE or the 5700 series cable (Different from the 4500) to then transfer them to your new Kestrel with the same app.
Thanks for the info. Profiles are already backed up in AB Loader and have the 5700 cable on order.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Looking for some advise please. I've recently downloaded the link App to my phone - Samsung S10. The gun profile page is not displaying correctly as in the the headers for each data input is only partially visible, for example I can only see the top half of 'Gun Data' , 'Scope Data' etc.
I've tried restarting the phone and that didn't work and also tried deleting the app and reinstalling it, that didn't work either? The app works correctly in all other aspects, connects to kestrel and transfers gun profile etc.

Kestrel & AB Suggestion

Friends, I’m thinking the Kestrel Ballistics Link App could send GPS data (from the GPS chip already present in the smartphone) to the Kestrel for precise Altitude (GPS Altitude is more accurate than barometric altitude), Magnetic Declination correction on the compass as well as the proper latitude without requiring user input (i.e. send latitude to Kestrel before use).

More than likely some of this data is not necessary or significant in the ballistic computation, but it could be nice to have on the Kestrel and would save the user some time and the possibility of error (forgetting to send the latitude to the device). All of this would be sent automatically on connection between the phone and the Kestrel, so the user could concentrate on the fun stuff.

Cheers,

Migs

A tip for those of you that can't scroll past target C on the Kestrel 5700X:

For the following instructions when you read “select it” press the middle button on the Kestrel (the one that looks like a carriage return)

Note: If you find that you can only scroll between targets A, B, or C and you have more targets than on the main screen select either Target or Wind (both selections will lead to the same thing) and Press the Up Arrow to Select Target (for example C), Now press the right arrow to select a target that does NOT appear in your scroll on the main window (for example D) and select it. Right arrow down until Target ACTIVE is shown and right arrow to turn that target on in the main window. Repeat this for all the targets you want to be scrollable in the main window.

Friends:

I'm working on a Kestrel 5700X cheat sheet. It is pretty basic right now and if anyone would like to help me improve it, we would be helping many of the forum members. I have it as a Word file but the "Attach files" button won't let me select a Word file to upload. Of course, if any of you has already created something like this I'd love to receive it. How should we move forward?

Thanks amigos,
Migs

Friends:

I'm working on a Kestrel 5700X cheat sheet. It is pretty basic right now and if anyone would like to help me improve it, we would be helping many of the forum members. I have it as a Word file but the "Attach files" button won't let me select a Word file to upload. Of course, if any of you has already created something like this I'd love to receive it. How should we move forward?

Thanks amigos,
Migs
Print it to a PDF file (or save as).

Print it to a PDF file (or save as).
Thank you and here goes in the attachment. PM me your corrections and I'll do my best. -- Migs

Attachments

• Kestrel 5700X Cheat Sheet.pdf
    46 KB · Views: 77
Is the BT protocol different between the 4500NV and 5700 Elite? The 4500NV connect to my Nomad but the 5700 does not.

Is the BT protocol different between the 4500NV and 5700 Elite? The 4500NV connect to my Nomad but the 5700 does not.

Based on the introduction date I'd think those were pre Bluetooth 4.x

I believe this is the case. I know the 5700s are BTLE/4.x as they needed a newer BT dongle to communicate with a PC, and some older phones were not supported when the 5700s came out.

Kestrel Gun Profile Naming Tip

This is the way I name my profiles. If you have a good way I'd love to see it:

A good gun profile name has 3 parts: Since 10 characters maximum are allowed for a profile name a good way is assign 2 characters to the rifle, a dash, two characters for the scope, a dash and 3 characters for the cartridge: For Example: You have a couple Tikka rifles, one Nightforce Scope, one Leupold Scope and one Vortex Scope. You also have factory ammo that shoots in both rifles and reloads for each rifle so:

T1-N1-F01 could be for the Tikka 1 with the Nightforce scope 1 and the F (Factory) cartridge. Thus, you could also have a F02 if you also shot with another Factory cartridge.

T1-L1-R02 could be for the Tikka 1 with the Leupold scope 1 and the R (Reloaded) cartridge. Thus, you could also have a R02-R99 if you also shot with other reloads.

If you later get another Nightforce scope, then that could be labled N2. Likewise, T2 would be the other Tikka rifle.

Lastly, it would make sense to attach a small label each rifle, scope and ammo.

I have a Sportsman with the latest firmware, so a 5700 (non Elite). The app has zero offset entries but the 5700 does not show them on the unit itself. I know the Elite will display & allow editing that information. My question is this, does the 5700/Sportsman model units use those entries, when building a profile in the app, to make calcualtions or is that function only in the Elite unit itself?

Is the latest firmware still only available through updating on the computer? I don't see it pop up like usual when connecting through phone.

@Kestrel Ballistics
It is available through the app now. iOS users if you do not get a pop up, go to Settings on your Phone. Locate the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app and click on it. Then there will be a Bluetooth setting there. Toggle this off and back on. This seems to reset the cache and help with getting any updates.

It is available through the app now. iOS users if you do not get a pop up, go to Settings on your Phone. Locate the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app and click on it. Then there will be a Bluetooth setting there. Toggle this off and back on. This seems to reset the cache and help with getting any updates.
You can also get it on the new Kestrel LiNK app however that program will not try and save your gun profiles so make sure they are saved off first.

Thanks. I'll give it a whirl when I get home. Using Android, any tips?

You can also get it on the new Kestrel LiNK app however that program will not try and save your gun profiles so make sure they are saved off first.
Can you advise me on how to save the gun profiles before the update?

The new Kestrel Link just replaces the legacy version and does not give ballistics, correct?

Friends:

I’m using a 5700X Kestrel. Firmware 1.45

When I go to target and scroll down, the target by default has a target speed (0.9 metric) instead of being zero.

Can you explain what is the thinking here? I find that shooting at steel I have to go into each target and return its speed to zero in order to continue. Feels quite tedious to do this. Why isn’t it set to zero by default?

Thanks for your help amigos,

Migs

Target speed does not affect holds, it would be added or subtracted by the shooter to the wind hold. Why it is not 0, I don't have an answer for.
So, how would I know if the Kestrel is incorporating an offset or not in the firing solution?

Target speed is not used in the hold calculation. The shooter would need to look in the target screen or ballistic screen for the hold and then manually determine if it is moving left or right and then add or subtract from the hold. You can change target speed and you will see no change in you wind hold.

Reactions: ceruleanblue