• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Meters Ballistics Official Thread

Save it where? It exists in two places. In the app, and on the Kestrel. Is it not saved simply by existing and being able to be used?

Save it where? It exists in two places. In the app, and on the Kestrel. Is it not saved simply by existing and being able to be used?
If you use the Kestrel link to enter your data then in the upper right corner you will see three little squares. If you tap those it will show save profile.
You must save profile before sending to the unit or nothing will change.

If you use the Kestrel link to enter your data then in the upper right corner you will see three little squares. If you tap those it will show save profile.
The three little squares are located in the upper right hand corner of the Edit Profile screen.

Is there still a way to update Direction of Fire and Wind Info for all Targets in a target list? With the latest update I can't seem to find it again....unless I just forgot where I was doing it before.

When I press save, and I’m able to send the profile to the Kestrel and use it, I assume it is saved.
Are you saying there is another screen with 3 squares I need to save profiles to?

A4828F7C-0EBC-40F7-AD25-49B63FBE2F40.png

7D57D1C6-3DA8-4762-85D8-A0B7A11870FD.png

When I press save, and I’m able to send the profile to the Kestrel and use it, I assume it is saved.
Are you saying there is another screen with 3 squares I need to save profiles to?

View attachment 7602801
View attachment 7602802
The other screen I was referring to was for the Kestrel/Hornady 5700 4DOF. I should of ask what unit you were using first. Sorry. The key is to save the profile each time before sending it to the unit. Hope it works out ok for you.

The other screen I was referring to was for the Kestrel/Hornady 5700 4DOF. I should of ask what unit you were using first. Sorry. The key is to save the profile each time before sending it to the unit. Hope it works out ok for you.
I have always saved changes before sending a profile to the unit. The always get erased during an update.

I have always saved changes before sending a profile to the unit. The always get erased during an update.
I would give Kestrel a call. I can't imagine why it would get erased. Best of luck. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Reactions: Tokay444
Hopefully they reply here.

It hasn’t seemed to matter yet as they are deleted every single time I update. Current is 1.45. I can’t say for certain what the last one on the unit was, but I’d wager a guess it was the last one before 1.45.

I've had my 5700 Elite with AB for a couple of years now, and have done at least 8 updates, and don't recall ever losing anything. For me, at least, if the profiles are on the Kestrel, on recent releases, it pulls them, updates the code, a pushes them back. On early releases, you had to have them stored in the app yourself, but that has not been the case for some time. Note, though, that right after it reboots when the fw is loaded, it is *NOT* yet done - if a few moments, it should push the profiles back, and if you play with it prior to both the app *and* the Kestrel saying "Done", you can interfere with the restore.

With the risk of asking a stupid question:

I have an AXMC with 3 barrels and one fixed scope. The 3 barrels have a slightly different POI so when I change barrel I slightly adjust from 0 for 2 of the 3 calibers (obviously one of the three as 0/0 on the scope) . Should I use "zero height" and "zero offset" in the "gundata" for the other to calibers that are not 0/0??

With the risk of asking a stupid question:

I have an AXMC with 3 barrels and one fixed scope. The 3 barrels have a slightly different POI so when I change barrel I slightly adjust from 0 for 2 of the 3 calibers (obviously one of the three as 0/0 on the scope) . Should I use "zero height" and "zero offset" in the "gundata" for the other to calibers that are not 0/0??
YES, set up separate profiles and us the ZH and ZO to indicate the variance from dead center for the two not zeroed dead center - high and left hits are + number entries and low or right hits are - number entries.

YES, set up separate profiles and us the ZH and ZO to indicate the variance from dead center for the two not zeroed dead center - high and left hits are + number entries and low or right hits are - number entries.
Thanks for quick response.

So just to be 100% sure: If my .308 barrel is 0/0 and my 300 norma after barrel switch is +.5/-0.2 MILS (zerood) that is also the value I enter in the profile for the 300norma barrel? And the value the Kestrel then gives -for the 300Norma gun profile- (let's say 10Mil up for 1000meters) that is 10 MIL up from 0. Correct?

Reactions: sled_mack
Thanks for quick response.

So just to be 100% sure: If my .308 barrel is 0/0 and my 300 norma after barrel switch is +.5/-0.2 MILS (zerood) that is also the value I enter in the profile for the 300norma barrel? And the value the Kestrel then gives -for the 300Norma gun profile- (let's say 10Mil up for 1000meters) that is 10 MIL up from 0. Correct?
Correct

Reactions: tyfoon and seansmd
I use 1.43 software and cannot upgrade it to 1.45. Kestrel 5700 Elite Applied Ballistics iLink

Model 5700AL
FW 1.43
BOOT 1.01
BLE 0.06
BAL 72
HW Rev 11B

Any idea how to upgrade it?

Attachments

• IMG_3812.PNG
    IMG_3812.PNG
    123.1 KB · Views: 76
I use 1.43 software and cannot upgrade it to 1.45. Kestrel 5700 Elite Applied Ballistics iLink

Model 5700AL
FW 1.43
BOOT 1.01
BLE 0.06
BAL 72
HW Rev 11B

Any idea how to upgrade it?
First, there are no ballistic changes between 1.43 and 1.45, the changes impact non-ballistic meters, so upgrade is not required.
Secondly, make sure you PIN is turned off.

ballistics don't match AB App vs Kestrel 5700 elite with Custom drag models . Whet I set G7 BC Kestrel ballistics matches the AB application.

I think this is due to different data on the servers Kestrel Ballistics and Applied ballistics
Hi! Can you help me with this?

There is only 1 bullet library and that is managed by Applied Ballistics. When you open the Kestrel app it connects to the AB library and checks if any new bullets have been added and if yes, asks if you want to download them.

There is only 1 bullet library and that is managed by Applied Ballistics. When you open the Kestrel app it connects to the AB library and checks if any new bullets have been added and if yes, asks if you want to download them.

then why are there differences between AB App and Kestrel device in the calculations?

then why are there differences between AB App and Kestrel device in the calculations?
I only use a Kestrel and do not have the AB App., so I can't answer that question. AB might be able to, but both the Kestrel and App need to be trued to your rifle for accuracy. Once trued the solutions should be the same.

Any success story about Steiner LRF binos and 5700 Kestrels out here?

I disagree with this. Calculations should be the same before truing rifle.
I can't remember if you answered, did you try changing both to G7 to see if the data line up perfectly? This will prove the settings are the same.

You 100% sure you’re inputs are identical?

If both products need to be and can be trued to actuals( and they do) why do they need to match perfectly?
Yes, I'm sure.

When I input G7 BC output calculations are the same

When I set CDM BC in Kestrel and AB Application, output calculations don't match each other.

Reactions: seansmd
You don’t true the rifle. You true the calculators to the rifle.

Reactions: Steel head
His point, and it's a fair one is the cdm is returning different dope, in the kestrel vs the AB app.

The models are different, why?

The G7 in both returns the same dope in both, so should the CDM, this is a problem with AB, they did the same a while back with hornady eldm140, and an update radically changed the CDM. No rev control of information, several revs later it changed back.

AB and the kestrels are awesome, but this is an area of needed improvement.

His point, and it's a fair one is the cdm is returning different dope, in the kestrel vs the AB app.

The models are different, why?

The G7 in both returns the same dope in both, so should the CDM, this is a problem with AB, they did the same a while back with hornady eldm140, and an update radically changed the CDM. No rev control of information, several revs later it changed back.

AB and the kestrels are awesome, but this is an area of needed improvement.
you understood me correctly

Hi Kestrel,

I might be in error here but I thought I saw Kestrel and Magnetospeed merged which makes great sense and should mean great things going forward.

I am a fan of both products.

If this is true could the people on the Ballistic meter side shout over to the people in the T1000 Target indicator side and point them toward this thread....

Please give us back the Rev 1, T1000

Sorry if I am in error regards my assumptions will quickly delete if I am in error.

Hi Kestrel,

I might be in error here but I thought I saw Kestrel and Magnetospeed merged which makes great sense and should mean great things going forward.

If this is true could the people on the Ballistic meter side shout over to the people in the T1000 Target indicator side and point them toward this thread....

Sorry if I am in error regards my assumptions will quickly delete if I am in error.

Hi Kestrel,

Thanks for the feedback. Please keep sending us feedback. We will look into changes between Rev 1 and 2 and see what we can improve.

Thanks for the feedback. Please keep sending us feedback. We will look into changes between Rev 1 and 2 and see what we can improve.

Bring back the dip switches.....get rid of the App.

Asking for this guy....who, um, err,.......is maybe not me.

phone.jpg

PS - Let them know the Rev B T1000 mount plates are superior.....just ordered one this AM to replace my Rev A mount.

@Kestrel Ballistics I've been having an issue for some time now with my Kestrel Sportman. I cannot seem to get it to read direction of fire correctly. At first I though it was something that I was doing i.e. too close to something metal and recalibrating it. Since purchasing the Sportman, I've updated unite to the Elite software hoping this would solve the issue. However, at the last couple of matches I've walked away from all metal objects and it still won't pick up the correct DOF. For example, the true direction of fire will be 100* and the Kestrel will read 332*. I've checked it against my phone compass, my 4DOF software compass and my CONX version of the Sportsman and it's still incorrect.

Just wondering if it's something I'm doing wrong or if it's a glitch and the unit needs a hard reset or if I have a bad Kestrel.

Thanks.

After you re-calibrate and move it around 360 degrees does it read correctly or is it off even after new calibration? Remember if it is near large metal mass or something magnetic that will throw it off.

It seems to now. I wonder if some of the objects on our local range are large enough to throw it off

Last edited:
I would not think so, check your gear, magnet on the binocular clasp, barrel cooler, compass laying next to the Kestrel.. anything with some magnetic property can cause the compass to think it is the new North.