• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel, Strelok Pro or Applied Ballistics

Hail

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2019
Tampa area
I apologize if this has been covered, I tried search function with no success. I am struggling to find an app that is even remotely close for my Vudoo shooting center x. I zero at 50, verify fps ( average is 1080 FPS of 10 shots). At 100 all apps, Strelok, lapua, and Hornady all call for 1.5 mil. My impacts are .5 high. If I use validate function in Strelok (Not pro version) it bumps FPS to 1380. Now I go to 200 and it calls for 4.2 Mil, I need 6 mil. I validate That and it throws everything off. Hopefully you can see how this is a never ending battle. I keep resorting to shooting targets every 25 yards out to 350 and writing down data. Is there an app or anything most people prefer and have success with? Any tips or anything I’m over looking? I’ve even played with bc from .169 -.132 and no success. Thanks

Here are the 2 examples

Attachments

• 6D8B266E-E60D-4009-9BA1-5267AE7935EF.png
    6D8B266E-E60D-4009-9BA1-5267AE7935EF.png
    1 MB · Views: 267
  • 6F8A3A99-5FE6-48AF-89C4-03FAC9426D45.png
    6F8A3A99-5FE6-48AF-89C4-03FAC9426D45.png
    428.7 KB · Views: 270
Strelok Pro should do the trick with the multi-BC function, which is basically the same as DSF on kestrel, only it is more editable afterwards.
Screenshot_20200810-085356_Strelok Pro.jpg

I use Kestrel because I noticed atmospherics and temperature were very important for long range accuracy. Kestrel has long battery life which my phone does not always have.

If you are fine with phone and plan to use Strelok Pro, I suggest you turn on and configure multi-BC, zero weather, powder temp and let it fine-tune your shots from there on by the data you give to it. This will take some time to gather.

For reference of the changes made to trajectory make another profile without these functions and see how it differs.

Reactions: Hail
I just did it in my kestrel not knowing any of your environmentals, bullet or bore height, and the cal mv, and dsf the numbers within .1 of your known dope at 438

So AB will probably work for you.

Reactions: Wlfdg and Hail
I would like to point out that while Strelok multi-BC works wonders to trajectory, it is quite cumbersome to set up, to my experience changing one parameter changed the whole trajectory because it works by different logic, not by changing POI of the bullet at certain distances but by changing drag.

Of course in reality it is the same end goal but Kestrel seems to get things right easier. Maybe I just was too novice with the strelok.

Are you sure your 50 yard zero is really zero and not slightly high? If you take five single shots at 50 yards and measure vertical displacement, what is it? It’s easy to have a small error at such close range and have that propagate.

I'm a Strelok Pro fan. It has a Lapua Center-X custom curve which works quite well for me out to 300.

If you're half a mil off at 100, I'm thinking there's an erroneous data point someplace. Scope height, scope not tracking as expected.

You might also consider zeroing at 35 yards. There is a very in-depth discussion of .22 zero range here which led me to try the 35-yard zero. The analogy, essentially, is that zeroing the feeble, wind-sensitive little .22 at 50 yards is like zeroing a center-fire zero at several hundred yards.

I set 35 yards, it works, done. I shot two matches this weekend, one a PRS-style event with targets out to 300 and the other a sort of bench event with smaller targets out to 150. The 35-yard zero, in conjunction with Strelok Pro, works fine.

Tried Kestrel - buddy of mine had a fully-loaded one he let me play with for a couple weeks. I kept Strelok. I did buy a refurbished weather-only Kestrel and manually enter its data into Strelok.

Not really an answer to your question, but I shoot center x in my bergara and am averaging about 1080fps, like you. I have a 50yd zero, but my drop at 100 is about 1.7-1.8mil. This matches other guys I shoot with that use center x. Your result of around 1mil of drop seems very high. As someone else mentioned, you might try reconfirming zero and checking your scope tracking, if you are dialing.

Oh, I should have added that I am using StrelokPro and used the bc truing function to match my 100yd drop. This calls for 6.6mil at 200. I think I used 6.4mil to hit a 8” gong at 200, since the weather was a little different than my dope data. I didn’t get to see where exactly I was hitting, since it was a stage in the match. So, try truing the bc. I ended up with a G1 of 0.173 to get reasonable data.

I apologize if this has been covered, I tried search function with no success. I am struggling to find an app that is even remotely close for my Vudoo shooting center x. I zero at 50, verify fps ( average is 1080 FPS of 10 shots). At 100 all apps, Strelok, lapua, and Hornady all call for 1.5 mil. My impacts are .5 high. If I use validate function in Strelok (Not pro version) it bumps FPS to 1380. Now I go to 200 and it calls for 4.2 Mil, I need 6 mil. I validate That and it throws everything off. Hopefully you can see how this is a never ending battle. I keep resorting to shooting targets every 25 yards out to 350 and writing down data. Is there an app or anything most people prefer and have success with? Any tips or anything I’m over looking? I’ve even played with bc from .169 -.132 and no success. Thanks
would you mind sending me a screen dump of your Strelok 'table' and' details' ? i would have expected your correction to be closer to 2.1 than 1.5 ? Anyway if you send /post your 'details' i can see if i see anything odd compared to what i have

What drag function are you using G1 or RA4?

Good idea barronian. I am happy to share my StrelokPro data since the OP and I seem to have very similar setups.

Velocity will have a much larger effect on .22 than BC.

Any AB that has dsf function works extremely well with .22

I should clarify I was using regular IStrelok and not the StrelokPro. I downloaded StrelokPro and will be picking up a 5700 kestrel This weekend to play with also.
I’m going to give the 35 yard zero a try this next outing and see how that works out.
Are there any key settings info I should focus on in Pro that you guys could suggest that I may overlook?
You guys have been a huge help, Thank you!

...my Vudoo shooting center x. I zero at 50, verify fps ( average is 1080 FPS of 10 shots). At 100 all apps, Strelok, lapua, and Hornady all call for 1.5 mil. My impacts are .5 high...

Hail, I think we need to revisit this statement and make sure we are all on the same page. You plugged in 1080fps and the used/plugged in the Lapua CenterX BC and got a 1.5mil holdover, correct? And with that holdover, your impacts were 0.5mil (or inches?) high?

As a check, I downloaded Lapua's ballistic software and used 1080fps and whatever BC they had already in there. With a "sight-in" range of 50yds and 1080fps I get 1.8mil holdover at 100yds. This matches what I get with Strelokpro and what I experience +/- maybe 0.1mil. The error I see at 100 is possibly temp, humidity, or slight error on my zero from day to day. I honestly haven't done a lot of exacting work to confirm that my 100yd dope is withing 0.001".

Now, back to your situation. I don't see how any of these programs, let alone several of them, are telling you 1.5mil at 100. 1.7 or 1.9 I would believe, since I have seen anywhere in this range while messing with zero weather conditions, scope height, etc. Never anything as low as 1.5mil except with ammo running well over 1100fps. Even harder to understand is how you dial 1.5 and are still hitting high. You should be low by an inch if I did the math right -> 3.6"/mrad x 0.3mrad.

Ben

Are there any key settings info I should focus on in Pro that you guys could suggest that I may overlook?

One thing I noticed is to be sure in Strelokpro to use the correct weather conditions when entering your zero vs the current conditions. I sighted in at ~85 yet strelok was set at 60 or something and I was shooting in 90+. It did change the numbers some, especially out past 100. Otherwise, I can only say enter in the best information you have for everything strelok is asking for. Some may not matter much, but I don't think much of it is terribly hard to figure out.

I should clarify I was using regular IStrelok and not the StrelokPro. I downloaded StrelokPro and will be picking up a 5700 kestrel This weekend to play with also.
I’m going to give the 35 yard zero a try this next outing and see how that works out.
You guys have been a huge help, Thank you!

If the 5700 is an elite, it will have DSF. That will give you almost a perfect curve if you use it correctly.

E9A8C700-3303-49AB-952C-2255825BE370.jpeg

Reactions: sys700