• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

KG Gun Kote 2400 Heat Cure works great!

daybreak1199

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I've been having great results with the 2400 series KG Gun Kote. I found that pre-heating the parts just prior to painting allowed for a much better finish. I used a starter Master airbrush kit and it seems to be doing pretty well. I have found when applying the final coat, I stand off a bit more and fog on a layer, this seems to give more of a textured look and feel. I made sure to use a degreaser and prior to applying the coating I did a final wipe down with rubbing alcohol.

On I used Flat Dark Earth on the SPR and Flat dark earth and Flat black on the S&W J frame. I just received the Strider DB for a birthday gift, it looks pretty good just the way it is, no extra paint for it!

SPR is waiting for a Vortex Razor HD that should be hear anyday now, so they keep telling me...
frown.gif

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Re: KG Gun Kote 2400 Heat Cure works great!

Great work!! I have been using KG for a while now, when I use black, I heat the parts for curing to 425 for 2 hours, wow! the parts wont even scratch!!! another quick tip, Brakeclean on the parts to degrease them, works awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

The smell is not as bad, but I go to a lot of trouble to ventilate while the baking is going on. I had used some of my son's playdough to poke screws and small items into so I could shoot a coat of paint onto the head of the screws. I found out that playdough smells even worse than the KG. It also starts to turn black and smoke after a bit....just keep in mind the temps are pretty hot, so whatever you put in make sure you check on it regularly, and try to do this when the wife isn't around!

I like GunKote quite a bit.
The main issue I have is in getting a true flat black finish.
I switched to Cerakote for that reason but Gunkote is easier to use though and the finish is pretty close to the same quality.
Nice job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smschulz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like GunKote quite a bit.
The main issue I have is in getting a true flat black finish.
I switched to Cerakote for that reason but Gunkote is easier to use though and the finish is pretty close to the same quality.
Nice job. </div></div>

I have had the some issues with all of their blacks, I really have to take my time on them, to get them to turn out right.

I've found the eye relief is really long on this scope, about 3 1/2 inches for me on 2.5x. When I move magnification to 10x I do realize my eye relief shrinks and I find myself inching froward a bit. I am trying to find out the sweet spot I will set the eye relief at. I'm thinking it should be set for 10x mag since the FOV is much narrower at that level and since this is a SFP scope, all of the milling will taKe place ao 10x.

Still haven't got to the range, really like how it looks so far just glassing the short range stuff available to me in the back yard.