• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kid dies after not able to get inhaler from the school's office.

BALLISTIC

Jack of all Trades
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2002
Vinland
This is absolutely despicable. The school is obviously responsible for his death. How can we keep advancing with technology when we don't even have the most basic control of our lives in check? Our excessive 'safety' policies are the biggest threat to modern Society, and this is another example of that.

Ontario mom urges schools to let asthmatic kids carry puffers - Ottawa - CBC News

Ontario schools should allow students with asthma to carry puffers with them in case of emergencies, says the mother of a 12-year-old boy who died when no one could get his inhaler in time because it was locked in the principal's office.
Ryan Gibbons died Oct. 9, 2012 when he suffered a severe asthma attack during recess at school in the village of Straffordville, in southwestern Ontario.

Sandra Gibbons says her son told his friends he wasn't feeling well and probably started panicking when they had to carry him to the office where the inhaler was kept. "So as he was going to the office to get his inhaler, he kind of was having a hard time and had to be carried into the office, and by the time he got there he had blacked out," she said. "To this day I really don't know how exactly the whole day unfolded for him."

tp-asthma-cp-2846892.jpg

Gibbons, 40, started a petition asking the government to force school boards to adopt standardized asthma management plans after her son's death. ((Nathan Denette/Canadian Press))

School policy was to keep the inhalers under lock and key and staff repeatedly confiscated spare inhalers from Ryan, added Gibbons.
"I received many a phone call stating Ryan had taken an inhaler to school and they found it in his bag and would like me to come pick it up because he wasn't even allowed to bring it home with him," she said. "There's supposed to be one in the office and that's the only one he can have. I didn't understand why."

Mom wants parties to introduce legislation

After her son's death, Gibbons, 40, started a petition asking the government to force school boards to adopt standardized asthma management plans, and urged all three parties to pass a private member's bill from Progressive Conservative Jeff Yurek.
"Unfortunately, I stand here today trying to get this bill -- Ryan's law -- in place so that nobody else has to feel how I feel every day, and that's missing my son."
Yurek said his bill would allow students with asthma to have a puffer in their pocket or backpack and force every school board to develop a comprehensive asthma policy.
"Provided the doctor said it's fine for them to have the puffer they will have a spare puffer somewhere in the school, probably the principal's office, but they will have (another) puffer in their pocket or in their bag, however they feel comfortable having it, but it will be on them at all times throughout the day," said Yurek.
"Hopefully we can take an important step toward ensuring a tragedy like this never happens again."

Education minister pledges support

Most school boards have some type of asthma policy, but they vary greatly in terms of scale and scope, added Yurek.
"In some schools, students are not allowed to have them outside of the principal's office, some have medical stations where teachers have pictures of students who need inhalers but still don't have it on hand, and in other schools it has to be in the teacher's desk, which doesn't help them when they go in the playground," he said.
Education Minister Liz Sandals expressed support for the idea behind Ryan's law during second reading debate in the legislature, but said there may need to be a more comprehensive bill covering other medical conditions such as anaphylaxis.
"There really does seem to be good evidence that, as soon as the child is able to manage their own medication, it's important that they have the puffer or the EpiPen on their person," said Sandals.
"Staff should know how to recognize and manage worsening symptoms and asthma attacks."

Last edited:
This kind of crap makes me sick. I've had an asthma attack. NO child should have to suffer through one. whoever thought that rule up should have to wear a plastic bag over their head for a while.

Anyone and everyone who made up these laws, as well as 'enforced' these "policies" and whatnot, should be responsible and charged with murder and accessory to murder. Then, and only then, will there actually be some logic and thought put towards these rulemakers.

My Lady is venting, and stating that they should all be held underwater, again and again, so that they can see what it's like.

There is no "right" here, but a whole whack of "wrong".

I have had asthma my whole life, just like Teddy Roosevelt did. I have had more "asthma attacks" than I can remember, or want to. My heart goes out to that family, and I wish I had had breath enough for us both. Principals office, what a stupid place to keep anything necessary for life.

It's not like a inhaler is a pain killer that can be given a little late and there is also a risk of OD. They are issued for emergency use (as are epipens). When I qualify as a Dr if I hear of this shit in the UK I promise that I will personally go to the school and have words with the head teacher.

Someone needs to face criminal charges for the theft of a life saving medical device that lead to a death.

Someone should document other cases of this type of situation and tell the country, it is as bad as a mass school shooting.

It's things like this that make me lose faith in the world. The thought of a 12 year old dying from a policy so incomprehensible as this is depressing.

First time they asked me to come pick up my son's extra inhaler i would have picked him up too and never taken him back. Foolish foolish mother, and government school with no sense or accountability.

Too bad our society is full of a bunch of fucking pussies that won't dare challenge "authority". Fuck that school, and fuck all government intrusion into our lives.

What's really sad is that the kid was trying to sneak in his own inhalers and would get them confiscated, the kid was trying to save his own life. The mother is partly to blame as you have to do what EVER it takes to protect your child, regardless of laws/rules.

I think the school admin/teachers of that school should be painfully and VERY SLOWLY suffocated to to death as punishment.

this is just fucked.....I can't say anything else.

Who allows such retarded rules? Those responsible should face charges in his death. It won't happen, but they should.

One word guys...... Lawyers.......

They are the reason for these completely illogical rules. The school board is so afraid of getting sued because someone else got their hands on little johnny's inhailer (or any other medication) that they have put rules like this in place. If you have children, you already know about all the forms and paperwork that has to be completed before your child comes to school with any medication (prescription or not). These rules are for THEIR legal protection and not the well being of your child. Common sense no longer exists due to the complete lack of personal responsibility in society.

My heart goes out to this family

Negligent Homicide, in the very least. But in my opinion, it is still pre-meditated murder due to the fact that someone actually sat there and thought about locking up the needed medicine. Knowing that oxygen is required for life, and this medicine allows for the intake of oxygen (when it is being depleted physiology-wise (what's the word???) then they KNOWINGLY AND WITHOUT CONCERN caused this child to suffer and die. Ergo, that makes this an intentional and ON PURPOSE situation, to which everyone else should be charged with Accessory to Murder. Life Sentences all around.

If 'getaway drivers' and 'lookouts' can get it, so can teachers and teachers-aides.

Burn them ALL.

First time they asked me to come pick up my son's extra inhaler i would have picked him up too and never taken him back. Foolish foolish mother, and government school with no sense or accountability.

Too bad our society is full of a bunch of fucking pussies that won't dare challenge "authority". Fuck that school, and fuck all government intrusion into our lives.

Absofuckinlutely!!!!!

I know vengeance is not ours to have but it sure wouldn't be bad to let us have a little now and then...

I know we are not supposed to take accounts of Karma into our own hands, but for this, as a father, I would track the individuals who did not allow my son his stuff. I would find where they hid and where they were open. Then I would personally, gently, squeeze the life out of their eyes in the slowest way possible. I would look intently into their eyes from inches away only so they could see the rage of a father who's son they allowed to die as life left their body. This is the rage I would hold, and the length I would go to as a father. Our children are not supposed to die before us.

I know we are not supposed to take accounts of Karma into our own hands, but for this, as a father, I would track the individuals who did not allow my son his stuff. I would find where they hid and where they were open. Then I would personally, gently, squeeze the life out of their eyes in the slowest way possible. I would look intently into their eyes from inches away only so they could see the rage of a father who's son they allowed to die as life left their body. This is the rage I would hold, and the length I would go to as a father. Our children are not supposed to die before us.

Or with a bit of planning and some spare household chemicals, you could arrange for them to feel exactly what it was like to be that kid.....

Negligent Homicide, in the very least. But in my opinion, it is still pre-meditated murder due to the fact that someone actually sat there and thought about locking up the needed medicine. Knowing that oxygen is required for life, and this medicine allows for the intake of oxygen (when it is being depleted physiology-wise (what's the word???) then they KNOWINGLY AND WITHOUT CONCERN caused this child to suffer and die. Ergo, that makes this an intentional and ON PURPOSE situation, to which everyone else should be charged with Accessory to Murder. Life Sentences all around.

If 'getaway drivers' and 'lookouts' can get it, so can teachers and teachers-aides.

Burn them ALL.

Why not?
Unarmed Man Goes On Shooting Rampage | National Review Online

It's just keeping kids safe. Like this:
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/365884/quivering-place-mark-steyn

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but this is not that much different than the way the government wants to handle firearms. In many places, the state/local law makers want impose more restrictions on individuals and the way they can own a firearm, such as the way it is stored in a persons home, not to mention the way many lawmakers and private citizens view concealed carry. Me having to call the cops and hope they get to my aid in time is no different than this poor child having to wait during a medical emergency for the school to come to his aid, especially when he could have handled it himself rather quickly.

Kalli n I deal with similar issues on a weekly basis. Our daughter is T1 diabetic. After numerous meetings and me chewing ass with the school they still cant seem to understand that when the kid says "I need this..." its not a game or a joke. Its life and death. There always seems to be that one teacher who doesnt get it.

C.

Or with a bit of planning and some spare household chemicals, you could arrange for them to feel exactly what it was like to be that kid.....

Oh yes, there are so many chemicals that will give the same effect, but it is nowhere near the same as eye to eye contact as life leaves their body, or as they receive that fourth or fifth hard uppercut into their solar plexis and diaphragm beating their heart into cardiac arrest via blunt force trauma and stopping the self redundant muscle twitch until it just slowly stops. Imagine, if only for a moment, that removal of all breathable air, and as the effect of the primary strike lulls, and breath seems to be coming back, THUMP, a second strike removes all traces of breathable air and the heart rythem stutters from the impact. The eyes of the individual are wide open, moth sucking empty space like a fish as the second strike comes. The confusion and realization of exactly what is happening is in their eyes as the third strike comes and further stutters the heartbeat.
Medical precision and hard body strikes that do the most damage with the least work offer spectacular results. Anytime I have a son tell me about stuff like this at school, I just think it a little farther through

Oh yes, there are so many chemicals that will give the same effect, but it is nowhere near the same as eye to eye contact as life leaves their body, or as they receive that fourth or fifth hard uppercut into their solar plexis and diaphragm beating their heart into cardiac arrest via blunt force trauma and stopping the self redundant muscle twitch until it just slowly stops. Imagine, if only for a moment, that removal of all breathable air, and as the effect of the primary strike lulls, and breath seems to be coming back, THUMP, a second strike removes all traces of breathable air and the heart rythem stutters from the impact. The eyes of the individual are wide open, moth sucking empty space like a fish as the second strike comes. The confusion and realization of exactly what is happening is in their eyes as the third strike comes and further stutters the heartbeat.
Medical precision and hard body strikes that do the most damage with the least work offer spectacular results. Anytime I have a son tell me about stuff like this at school, I just think it a little farther through

This is both poetic and worrying. Nice work.

Funny how they have the zero tolerance policies on drugs at school but they are the quickest to recommend you put your child on drugs.

U.S. public schools are just a babysitting service. It's much easier to "teach" a bunch of comatose 'students' than actually teach a diverse group of children.

I know vengeance is not ours to have but it sure wouldn't be bad to let us have a little now and then...

If the "we" is personal, the punishment becomes vengeance and forbidden, but if the "we" is society then punishment is not only just, but required. "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" concerns social justice and the treatment of societies' criminals.

Also: How many of these awful school stories do we read? And this is only a physical problem with that school, how many mental and spiritual wrongs are inflicted on children there? How much true concern and charity for kids can there be in a teacher or principal who locks up life saving medicine? My wife and I have 11 kids. We either homeschool or private school. She is a full time mother. It is hard but, how much are your kids worth?

JoeZ

As someone with asthma, I would have a hard time not choking the life out of the people that thought the inhaler should be kept in an office. I am 33 and still don't leave the house without an inhaler. I have been hospitalized from it but I've never blacked out from an attack so I can't imagine how the kid must have felt. I know how miserable it is when your o2 levels are so low that your fingernails are gray and hope to never go through that again in my life.

I have had Asthma for 58 of my 59 years. Mostly it has been a non issue. Then in 2010, after a surgical procedure caused clots to form in my lungs, it all came back. Now I find I need the inhaler more, get out of breath easier and was recently diagnosed with COPD. Not being able to get your breath for several minutes (or hours) is no fun and the thought of that child's needless death makes me so angry. What have we become?

You can thank an attorney for this practice. Common sense is out the window and attorneys change and distort the world we live in for one, and only one, purpose.

i am a severe treatment resistant copd/asthmatic. i have a inhaler with me, one in my truck, one in the filing cabinet at work, one in the bathroom, and one on my nightstand. i would never stand for one more than a few steps away after my first heavy duty attack. that is a story in itself!

Oh my. I have had asthma since i can remember. The school always wanted to fight with my parents and i about me carrying my inhaler as a kid in school. Simply put my dad and mom just told them NO. I carried my own inhaler till the day i graduated. This was a small farm town so beneath the BS, people had some semblance of common sense.
I have spent a lot of time in hospitals when i was a kid due to this. I remember when the meds wouldnt work one time in the night and i had to roll myself off the bed to hit the floor to wake my parents. Got a shot of epi and a nebulizer for an hour. Scary as hell for an 8 yr old.
Been under better control for years, due to better meds and more diligence on my part.
I feel a lot of empathy for people having a bad asthma attack. Worst feeling i have ever had for sure.
Cant imagine the rage i would have if this was my kiddo.

They should be stored down in the nurses office since there will always be a nurse on duty verses a principal that is in and out of his office throughout the day.

While I understand the school's need to control medication, by about the second grade, every kid I know us capable of dealing with their own athsma inhalers. And on many cases, these are emergency medication, and can't wait for secondary response.

They should be stored down in the nurses office since there will always be a nurse on duty verses a principal that is in and out of his office throughout the day.
How about I hold the air you need to breath? Do not be a idiot. You must work for a school, you seem too stupid to do anything else. The child should have his own inhaler.

NO! Obviously, you don't get it. Are you a "teacher"? The inhaler needs to be with the patient, not stored in some other location.

There should be a spare in the nurse' office and the teachers desk. But the kid should be allowed to keep their own. The others are a back up, not a primary.

Who allows such retarded rules? Those responsible should face charges in his death. It won't happen, but they should.

Who allows such rules? There are thousands of such rules in this country and every year the numbers increase. There is a book called "Freakonomics" there could be one called "Freak-regulations" or similar.

Laws and regulations that make kids suspended for a hand gesture or chewing a pop-tart into a shape of gun. How about the story I heard last year in California a kid said to his classmates that his father has guns at his house and the teacher called the feds. They knocked on his door and a uniformed police officer (was ready to go to work) opened the door.
This country is getting fucked up so fast and often quietly that people don't notice it unless the media actually report the BS that goes on. It should be noted that majority of the media also owned by the same people who owns the banks and insurance companies, the same people who backing politicians like XXXXX deleted . ...Try to go by "no politics rule".

Last edited:
My brother has severe asthma and all throughout his elementary and high school years my parents always made him keep an inhaler in his backpack. There is no way in hell I would let school admins hold onto my potentially lifesaving albuterol, insulin, epi, etc.

Unfortunately I know far too well what this kid went through. My last and worst asthma attack was almost 4 years ago, Feb. 2, 2010 when I was in 9th grade. I was at baseball practice at school and our coach made us run poles(foul pole to foul pole). After about the 5th or 6th set I started getting winded and as soon as I finished my last "pole" I collapsed at my coach's feet. They carried me into the dugout and LUCKILY I went to a private school that had no problem with me carrying an inhaler with me. My coach went through my backpack and got me the inhaler in time. They called 911 and according to the paramedics, the inhaler wasn't enough and if the paramedics hadn't gotten me oxygen when they did, I probably wouldn't be writing this today. The inhaler saved my life though because it kept me alive long enough until the paramedics arrived.

Keeping an inhaler from a child with asthma should be a felony. Any person involved with keeping an inhaler from a child, ultimately resulting in the child's death, should be charged with neglect, murder, etc... Asthma is not a joke and anyone who treats it as such is naive. Simple as that.

To to the person above who said inhalers should be stored in the nurse's office:

I want you to try a little experiment when you have some time on your hands. Get 1 or more people, go about 1/4 mile away from your house. Place a plastic bag over your head and have one of the people with you wait about 20 seconds before they start running. This is to account for the time it would take for them to assess the situation and what needs to be done. Then have them run to the house and stay in the house for about 45 seconds. This is to account for the time it would take a nurse to dig through everything and find the inhaler. Now have your friend run back to your location. Odds are you're either dead or you took the bag off a long time ago in fear for your life. Still think they should be kept in the nurses office?

The only problem is that when someone has an asthma attack, they can't just "take the bag off" and make the problem go away. The only way they can end it is by getting to that inhaler in a reasonable timeframe. By keeping the inhaler that far away from the child you're basically sentencing that child to death if they ever have an attack.

I apologize for the long post and if I may have come across as harsh, but this is a very sensitive subject for me and I feel that the more people know regarding the severity of asthma, the better. Asthma is not something that should be taken lightly.

Josh

Unfortunately I know far too well what this kid went through. My last and worst asthma attack was almost 4 years ago, Feb. 2, 2010 when I was in 9th grade. I was at baseball practice at school and our coach made us run poles(foul pole to foul pole). After about the 5th or 6th set I started getting winded and as soon as I finished my last "pole" I collapsed at my coach's feet. They carried me into the dugout and LUCKILY I went to a private school that had no problem with me carrying an inhaler with me. My coach went through my backpack and got me the inhaler in time. They called 911 and according to the paramedics, the inhaler wasn't enough and if the paramedics hadn't gotten me oxygen when they did, I probably wouldn't be writing this today. The inhaler saved my life though because it kept me alive long enough until the paramedics arrived.

Keeping an inhaler from a child with asthma should be a felony. Any person involved with keeping an inhaler from a child, ultimately resulting in the child's death, should be charged with neglect, murder, etc... Asthma is not a joke and anyone who treats it as such is naive. Simple as that.

To to the person above who said inhalers should be stored in the nurse's office:

I want you to try a little experiment when you have some time on your hands. Get 1 or more people, go about 1/4 mile away from your house. Place a plastic bag over your head and have one of the people with you wait about 20 seconds before they start running. This is to account for the time it would take for them to assess the situation and what needs to be done. Then have them run to the house and stay in the house for about 45 seconds. This is to account for the time it would take a nurse to dig through everything and find the inhaler. Now have your friend run back to your location. Odds are you're either dead or you took the bag off a long time ago in fear for your life. Still think they should be kept in the nurses office?

The only problem is that when someone has an asthma attack, they can't just "take the bag off" and make the problem go away. The only way they can end it is by getting to that inhaler in a reasonable timeframe. By keeping the inhaler that far away from the child you're basically sentencing that child to death if they ever have an attack.

I apologize for the long post and if I may have come across as harsh, but this is a very sensitive subject for me and I feel that the more people know regarding the severity of asthma, the better. Asthma is not something that should be taken lightly.

Josh

One of the best posts I've read on this site. Thank you for your insight and hopefully you never have to go through something like that again.

Josh

Josh, Thank you for sharing your comments and your experience.