• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Killed a wild hog

gunrunner

Private
Minuteman
Feb 29, 2004
Licking, Missouri
I bumped into this fellow and two of his little friends in a field this past Tuesday night and I introduced them to my AR15. I thought the meeting went rather well. The bullet was a Sierra 65 grain BTS gameking over 25.2 grains of W748.

In case you're wondering about the bag of ice in his body cavity. The local butcher shop doesn't open until 08:00 and I didn't have any cold place to keep him, so I put two bags of ice in the body cavity and wrapped him up in an old sheet to keep the flies off of him and left him in the bed of the truck.

100_0272.jpg

100_0271.jpg

100_0270.jpg

Re: Killed a wild hog

entry/exit wound pics?
i am going to be using that same bullet and was curious what the potential results could be

Good eating. Now you gotta go catch one live, if you haven't already. There's nothing like it...

<span style="font-style: italic">entry/exit wound pics?
i am going to be using that same bullet and was curious what the potential results could be</span>

I'm guessing he was about 20 yards away when I shot and I hit him a bit farther back than I wanted. Once shot, he turned and ran like a scalded dog and made it about 100 yards before keeling over. The bullet didn't exit. When I found him, there wasn't a drop of blood to be seen. He didn't bleed a drop of blood through the entry wound. When I cut him open, his body cavity was full of blood, but I couldn't find any organs that were obviously damaged. The bullet did something that made him completely bleed out within 100 yards. I can't say the bullet isn't good for shooting pigs considering I hit him around midsection and it still killed him. The next chance I get, I'm going to try and shoot one in the shoulder and see what happens.

I didn't skin him before I took him to the butcher so I didn't see what the entry hole through the ribs looked like.

It was kind of strange the way I killed those piglets. After I shot the boar, I was walking through the field in the direction it ran looking for it, when I heard this grunting sound. I shined my flaslight towards the sound and I could see that something was moving through the grass, but I couldn't see what it was. The grass in the field I was hunting is about knee high. When I shined the light, what ever it was started coming towards me. These three piglets came right up to me, so I shot the lead one. The other two ran off. About ten minutes later, I heard that grunting sound again. I shined my flashlight on the ground in front of me, and the other two piglets again ran up to me. I again shot the lead piglet. The other one ran away. After I found and gutted the boar, I was driving out of the field and saw the third piglet in my headlights, but it ran off before I could stop.

Last month, we killed about three sows that were nursing and these piglets may have belong to one of them and were hanging around that boar. A picture on a gamecam showed a boar that looked just like this one with a bunch of piglets, but no sows.

Did you kill these pigs in Missouri? If so Where abouts where you? The farm I hunt on in Maries/Miller counties is in the area where hogs have been reported but I haven't seen any yet and I keep waiting for them to show. Nice job by the way on population control.

I'm hunting them in the northern part of Texas County and also in an area just a few miles west of Beulah in the southern part of Phelps County.

Ouch!!

Those little squealers make for some tasty eating, nice work mate.

ATB,

Billy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I thought the meeting went rather well. </div></div>
LOLs