• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Kimber Custom II Birdsong Black-T Green-T Finish

Room 055

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2010
Virginia
A few months ago, I purchased a lightly used Kimber Custom II from a friend. I immediately took the Custom II out to the range and found it to be very accurate. It will probably end up getting used as an IDPA pistol in the near future. The finish was slightly worn, as would be expected, from riding in a Blackhawk S.E.R.P.A. holster. Being as I tend to carry a lot in the outdoors and subject my firearms to water frequently, I decided to send this pistol off to W.E. Birdsong & Associates for their Black-T Green-T two-tone finish. I decided to go with the two-tone as it matches the 1911's of some of the guys I work with.

Many of you are familiar with W.E. Birdsong and Associates, but for those that aren't, the Birdsong -T finish is very durable and isn't really a paint. The entire gun is disassembled and all metal parts are bathed, degreased, and prepped for the process. The multi-stage process chemically bonds to the metal and protects it even if the color is worn in the future in high wear areas. The finish is guaranteed for life, and based on the long list of distinguished clients that Birdsong has, it comes highly recommended by technicians of all walks. Plan on not getting your firearm back for several months, but if you are tough on your guns, this finish is a step up from painted on coatings.

Pricing is reasonable, and if you are MIL or LEO, then you'll get some break on the cost. It was actually only slightly higher than most Duracoat jobs, and that includes all the internals and 2 magazines. The website is http://www.black-t.com and I'll keep you updated on wear and tear.

I changed from a Hogue grip that came on this CII to VZGrips Operator II's.

Here she is:

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

*** Update ***

I'm happy to say that the Birdsong finish is holding up well to daily carry in both plastic SERPA and leather holsters. It's been in and out of the Kydex close to one hundred times now with no signs of holster wear. It's also seen wet weather and only been cleaned a few times since with absolutely no surface corrosion in between. I've only wiped it down with a gun cloth occasionally in between the couple of cleanings. I'll keep putting the finish through the ringer, but I'm sold on the finish vs others I've used.

DSC_0037800x600.jpg

DSC_0038800x600.jpg

DSC_0039800x600.jpg

DSC_0068800x600.jpg

Re: Kimber Custom II Birdsong Black-T Green-T Finish

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Room 055</div><div class="ubbcode-body">W.E. Birdsong & Associates...Black-T Green-T two-tone finish.</div></div> +1
grin.gif

pix25706145462.jpg

I have my rifle at Birdsong as we speak. I can't wait to get it back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SNIPERS4DUMMIES</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what was the turn around time?? </div></div>

And price?

When you get to 1000 rounds, I would love to see the finish on the barrel and other mating surfaces.

Two of my rifles and eight handguns have made the round trip to the late Walter Birdsong's shop in Florence, Mississippi, some of them 15 years ago, and the Black-T is holding up well.

B. Melick,

Round counts and pics? I've been reading on the net and haven't seen anything that supports this Black-T as being any better than any of the other paint on finishes.

I'm always looking for wear patterns of other products (I'm a Cerakote applicator) so I can advise people what's out there.

So far I would say all the "cotes" are about the same "good for corrosion but won't hold up to abuse (e.g. grinding on ground in 6004) and present holster wear on edges like bluing does given time."

I have had a rifle build at Birdsong since 8/4 (3+ months)and still have not got it back yet. I heard its a looooong wait time due to so many orders. I heard from many guys waiting 17-19 weeks for stuff to get coated and returned but its worth the wait!