• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kinetic Research Group SOTIC?

Well, I finally had some nice, uninterrupted range time today. It was enough to "burn" my two boxes of Federal GMM w/ 130 gn Berger hybrids. It's nice having a rifle/ammo combination for which a 400 yd shot is more or less trivial - if anyone knows a extended rifle range around Columbus, GA let me know.

The only notable thing, now that I'm at around ~250 rounds on the barrel, is my oddball velocity issues continuing. Today's WX was around 55 deg F, 60% humidity, ~741 feet elevation. Versus a published MV of 2875, I saw:
Shots - 10; MVavg - 2721; MVmin/max - 2665/2773 (ES - 108...wtf?); SD - 30.6.
On the bright side, that SD/ES really helps me to appreciate the Hornady factory stuff. The downside, of course, is giving up 165 fps versus published. I still need to crunch numbers, maybe re-chrono the 140.

There was a lot of synergy today at the range - this load shoots a trajectory identical (or near enough to 400 yards) to the 178 gn ELD-X (factory) I was shooting out of my M70 (which was right on Hornady's predicted POI). It also shot to the same POI as the 140 gn SIG OTM I'd last fired in Florida a week or two ago. It shot to the same POI w/bag, bipod and Magnetospeed. I didn't take any group/POI photos...mostly because I seem to be a terrible shot (heh). Just thought that was some interesting KRG magic.

Edit to add:
Had a break in the weather, so out I went. Just continuing "burning" some of my on hand stuff.
Factory 147 ELD-M - 2585 fps (so, picked up a few)
SIG 140 gn OTM - 2640 fps
Factory 129 SST Superformance - 2855 fps

Order of fire started w/ 15 rounds of SIG (finished the box). The first five went into ~.5 MOA @ 200 yds, clean/cold bore was about an inch left, or the group would have been tight indeed. 6-15 were ~.8 MOA because three shots went high. Could be heat, could be the MSV3 messing with things. POI didn't really shift much w/ the MSV3. The 147 ELD-M went into ~ .75 MOA...with a low flyer (I didn't call it, but that doesn't mean as much as it should). The 147 ELD-M was about 1.5 inches high versus the SIG. The POI is very close between the SIG and the GMM.

Last edited:
Man, this thread makes me feel like a chatty Cathy. I went out to the RSC here on FBGA today - 417", ~60F, 29% hum, don't remember the baro.

My absolute worst group of the day was 2.5 inches at 300 yards and included a .1 mil adjustment after the first shot (because I forgot) and a ~.1 mil hold for wind (that I ought not have bothered with).

My first group of the day included my cold (and, I think, clean) bore shot and was ~.55" @ 100 yards (American Gunner 140 BHTP) and my second was ~.54" (ELD-M 147). Both shot to essentially the same POI - no effort to cool the rifle between shots or groups. Honestly, that's a reflection of me and not the rifle. I've known from the beginning that I'm holding the rifle back and not the other way around. At least the magic continues.

I struggled a bit at 300 yards. I fired two "massive" 1.7" (AG BTHP) and 2.2" (ELD-M) groups. I say massive because I suspect a competent shooter would've managed about half the above. The worst group of the day had 4 shots in 1.2 inches with a .1 mil adjustment...if I'd just held center for the 5th shot...

Anyway, I think I scaled my SOTIC at 14 lbs (or was it 13?). If I could change anything (other than some more speed), I'd like a rounded forend. Something like a traditional varmint type profile would be a little more my speed than the flat bottom for GP use. I'm not sure the Bravo would scratch that itch, or I'd already have one ;-).

ETA: included a group from a couple weeks ago (doing a shoot off between Copper Creek and Hornady) - if I could avoid dropping/blowing shots, I'd have something to brag about (it was a gusty day, can I blame the wind?). None the less, I was pleased with this based on my ability. Side note: the Copper Creek stuff wouldn't extract properly, KRG is sending me a new extractor.

Attachments

• 20200229_155138.jpg
    20200229_155138.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Hah, it’s got a pretty heavy lift even for a three lug or atleast mine does. I’ve been searching for a lighter firing pin spring as I think the stock one is probably a bit strong.
@Massoud might be able to point us in the right direction.

Mine isn't necessarily iighter, but it's definitely running more smoothly now that I've had the rifle for a bit. My kids struggle with it (2 and 5 y/o), but behind the gun I don't notice any issues now (i.e. the gun stays on target while I run the bolt with my little arms).

Reactions: coltm4
Hello gentlemen, there are two main friction points (besides the helical cam) which can affect the bolt lift force, besides the spring of course.

One is the left side of the cocking piece, the tab that sticks down and engages the sear. This area rubs against the action, in fact forcing it against the action is how you push the cocking piece up the helical ramp.

The other main area is the cocking piece inside the bolt body. As the bolt is lifted, the cocking piece slides rearward inside the bolt body, rubbing the whole way.

If you put polishing compound on these areas and work your action a bunch then that should help, in theory. We haven't done that as we are used to shooting TRG's and M2008/13's with 3 lugs and the lift is just heavier.

The spring is a custom spring so you are not likely to find a lighter version. However you could try cutting a coil off. The easier solution if you have a lathe is to turn some material off of the cocking indicator where it touches the spring. That will create less preload on the spring. You create the opposite effect when you add the spring spacers that are included with the rifle. That's something that you need to experiment with incrementally though as you can get light primer strikes with too little spring force. Of course then you could just add the spring spacer to get the force back.

I hope that helps, thank you guys for your business!
Justin

Mine isn't necessarily iighter, but it's definitely running more smoothly now that I've had the rifle for a bit. My kids struggle with it (2 and 5 y/o), but behind the gun I don't notice any issues now (i.e. the gun stays on target while I run the bolt with my little arms).

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has really young children shooting long range rifles. They will be SO spoiled with such nice equipment. My 10 and 12 yo load rifle rounds that are single digit SD and shoot 900 yards.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has really young children shooting long range rifles. They will be SO spoiled with such nice equipment. My 10 and 12 yo load rifle rounds that are single digit SD and shoot 900 yards.

Yeah, my littlest is a quick study and LOVES dry fire after seeing his big brother and me. My oldest is slightly built - he's G2G when his technique is on point, otherwise he'll struggle. He can run it himself at the range now, so that's pretty cool.

It's been hard to find shooting buddies, so I'm trying to grow my own. I'm looking hard at a PH2 in 6CM or 6.5CM to that end.

I'm comfortable with the bolt lift at this point. It really does feel a lot better with some mileage on it.

20200321_155031.jpg

Reactions: coltm4
Picking up my gun from the smith tomorrow, just got a 6bra put on it. I’ll post a pic and some results with that work up as I go.
I’m going to measure the spring and cocking indicator tomorrow and order a couple custom weight springs, I’ll update with my findings.

Reactions: DJL2
Yeah, my littlest is a quick study and LOVES dry fire after seeing his big brother and me. My oldest is slightly built - he's G2G when his technique is on point, otherwise he'll struggle. He can run it himself at the range now, so that's pretty cool.

It's been hard to find shooting buddies, so I'm trying to grow my own. I'm looking hard at a PH2 in 6CM or 6.5CM to that end.

I'm comfortable with the bolt lift at this point. It really does feel a lot better with some mileage on it.

View attachment 7282904

My kids really liked shooting a friends 6BR when they were younger. Zero recoil. A suppressor makes it even better for kids.

Got the sotic back, hope to get some load development in shortly. Going to order some springs tomorrow to test.

Attachments

• BFFEB1AF-3544-4E52-8C75-C67AA5C78634.jpeg
    BFFEB1AF-3544-4E52-8C75-C67AA5C78634.jpeg
    352.7 KB · Views: 177
Reactions: mwd92870
Got the sotic back, hope to get some load development in shortly. Going to order some springs tomorrow to test.
Cool. I'm very interested to see how the 6BRA does in a SOTIC. I was tempted to do a 6 Dasher for mine, but wasn't certain if the SOTIC action would feed, extract and eject 6 BR variants efficiently. Thanks for being the test mule!

Reactions: never_summer
Well I got the springs in, currently working so haven’t fully tested them yet. Had to turn down my indicator rod a few thousandths to fit the new springs. Put in the 19lb spring which showed about 4lb difference from stock, and wow the bolt lift is nice now. I’ll test it some more after work this afternoon and hopefully get some fireforming going on next weekend

Edit: Also ran some turned brass through the action, have an mdt 6br mag and primal kit coming in, and was afraid at first about the ejection. No problems with extraction or anything, but the ejection was super questionable when run very slow and I mean very slow. It had me worried but I ejected the same case about 50 times after that running the bolt moderately fast, not talking about starting up a chainsaw speed, but also not snatching it... just about what would be normal operation. I might need to adjust the plunger depth and tension as it didn’t throw the brass out, but it also didn’t have any issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: mwd92870
Well I got the springs in, currently working so haven’t fully tested them yet. Had to turn down my indicator rod a few thousandths to fit the new springs. Put in the 19lb spring which showed about 4lb difference from stock, and wow the bolt lift is nice now. I’ll test it some more after work this afternoon and hopefully get some fireforming going on next weekend

Edit: Also ran some turned brass through the action, have an mdt 6br mag and primal kit coming in, and was afraid at first about the ejection. No problems with extraction or anything, but the ejection was super questionable when run very slow and I mean very slow. It had me worried but I ejected the same case about 50 times after that running the bolt moderately fast, not talking about starting up a chainsaw speed, but also not snatching it... just about what would be normal operation. I might need to adjust the plunger depth and tension as it didn’t throw the brass out, but it also didn’t have any issues.
Sounds promising. Thanks for the update.

How to have bad day in one easy step:
1. Drop SOTIC bolt, lug first, onto concrete.

I went from being excited to install my angled bag rider and Bravo rear to equal parts pissed and depressed in a big hurry.

Attachments

• 20200403_153141.jpg
    20200403_153141.jpg
    557.2 KB · Views: 186
Ouch, a little polishing won’t hurt it. Atleast it’s not the back of the lugs. Everything on mine is getting dents and bruises, kinda wish I could leave things alone.

why are you going to the bravo rear?

Reactions: sgtsmmiii and DJL2
Yeah, I got out my Brownell's abrasive and lapping polishes. It's not jagged now, at least. It didn't seem to create deformation forward, so my hope is no real impact on engagement/alignment.

ETA: on the bright side, the Bravo rear is PERFECT. The chassis is a slightly more rounded fore end from perfection as a whole, I give it like a 97%. Easily the best handling rifle I own. Even with my pig of a SIG Tango6 on, I'm gonna take it hunting, it's that good now.

Last edited:
Yeah, I got out my Brownell's abrasive and lapping polishes. It's not jagged now, at least. It didn't seem to create deformation forward, so my hope is no real impact on engagement/alignment.

ETA: on the bright side, the Bravo rear is PERFECT. The chassis is a slightly more rounded fore end from perfection as a whole, I give it like a 97%. Easily the best handling rifle I own. Even with my pig of a SIG Tango6 on, I'm gonna take it hunting, it's that good now.

what are you going to do with the whiskey 3 back end? ?

How to have bad day in one easy step:
1. Drop SOTIC bolt, lug first, onto concrete.

I went from being excited to install my angled bag rider and Bravo rear to equal parts pissed and depressed in a big hurry.

You could just remove the high spots with a file and then lightly buff the immediate area with some emery cloth and you will never know it is there. Seriously not a big deal, completely cosmetic.

why are you going to the bravo rear?

Sorry, I didn't answer that. Ergonomics is the reason. It's mostly down to my T-Rex arms. It's marginally lighter, which is nice, but the shorter LOP is the real reason.

The Bravo is on there straight, no spacers. It's like running my M4 two clicks out, which I just did the qualify, but with a better stock design.

I'm not sure what I'll do with the W-3 back side. I might send the angled bag rider back, though. I'd say save it for resale, but I have no plans to sell and likely no one to buy it after I'm done abusing it!

Pics with the bravo back end please.

I'm not much of a glamor shot guy, but...

ETA: my oldest working on "spotting" for me... I'm not sure that's helping my groups. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• 20200404_080426.jpg
    20200404_080426.jpg
    856.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 20200404_080359.jpg
    20200404_080359.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG-20200404-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20200404-WA0003.jpg
    479.1 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Reactions: Sixfivesavage
Got 46 rounds loaded and set for some fireforming, hopefully be able to sneak out of this quarantine hell to run some rounds down range. I have been messing around with it in the meantime. Still ejecting fired brass with no issue. Modified my 6br mdt mag, polished the lips and tweaked them, and it runs all 12 loaded rounds smooth without any issue.

Got the rifle out today to do some fire forming on the 6bra. First four rounds pierced the primer, was using 29gr h4895 and cci 400. Tried using the factory spring and the light custom spring during the first three, then thought maybe there was oil in the chamber or something that I hadn’t cleaned. Cleaned the chamber and barrel good, then tried the fourth round with the factory spring and same pierced primer. So I decided to head home and reload the rounds I had built up with some fed 205m primers and 28.5 gr h4895. But before that my truck won’t start at the range and my batteries dead, just wasn’t my day. Jumped the truck and threw 30 rounds together and headed back to the range. On a high point the mdt 6br mag ran perfect and the gun extracted with no issues. I only used the light firing pin spring on this load, but there were no pierced primers. The primers do appear to be flowing into the firing pin channel, and I didn’t think to try any of the stronger springs to see if this would help with this issue. Kinda rushed on time so shot fast groups with nothing spectacular, around .75 moa each. Have some cci 450s coming in to try out on full power loads. Until then I’ll keep the same load setup and change springs to see what happens.

Reactions: DJL2 and mwd92870
Sounds like you might need to have the firing pin turned down and the bolt face bushed. I had to do this on a couple of rifles that were fine with large rifle primers but would pierce small primers with even moderate loads. If that turns out to be the case, www.gretanrifles.com is the go to smith for that service. Great work, reasonable prices and fast turnaround.

Sounds like you might need to have the firing pin turned down and the bolt face bushed. I had to do this on a couple of rifles that were fine with large rifle primers but would pierce small primers with even moderate loads. If that turns out to be the case, www.gretanrifles.com is the go to smith for that service. Great work, reasonable prices and fast turnaround.
Yeah unfortunately I’m thinking this may need to happen. I’m going to try the heavier spring to see if it changes anything, but don’t think it will. I measured the protrusion before I headed back to the range to be about .06” so I don’t think it’s the cause.

Edit: looking at the bolt and space, I don’t know if it actually does need to be bushed. It appears to be pretty tight, and the cratering may be from something else. I’ll test it with the stronger firing pin spring and plunger removed, and then see what happens with load work up on fireformed brass. If all signs point to getting it bushed, well hopefully gretan will work on my bolt.

Last edited:
My SOTIC had a completely different issue with some small primer Lapua (redundant?) loaded by Cu Creek - would not extract. I got through maybe 12 rounds before I quit. I’ve fired a lot of different brass loaded by a lot of different folks without FTE issues. I don’t see how those two things could be related, but maybe someone here can tell me different.

Granted the lack of function did my mojo no favors, but on that day it didn’t print any tighter than the factory ELD-M I brought to compare. Tighter SD and maybe an extra 20 fps, but not worth the hassle. I got two boxes during a sale and I suspect they can be buried with me.

Completely Unrelated: I’d be chuffed if KRG would make some bolts with mag bolt face.

Great to see you guys are experimenting and tuning and tweaking. We want you all to get things exactly how you like it.
We did make some .223 bolts and some mag bolts. The trouble is they are extraordinarily expensive. The mag bolts are still in progress but I've been running a .223 in my personal SOTIC, it's a blast.
Justin

Great to see you guys are experimenting and tuning and tweaking. We want you all to get things exactly how you like it.
We did make some .223 bolts and some mag bolts. The trouble is they are extraordinarily expensive. The mag bolts are still in progress but I've been running a .223 in my personal SOTIC, it's a blast.
Justin

awww and I have a .223 ultimatum defacto on order! It’ll be going in a bravo with whiskey 3 back end though.

Just got back fireforming 50 more rounds, think the primer issue was headspace related. Loaded 121 rounds, 99-105gr rdf and 22-105gr bthp Hornady, and jammed them all .015” in the lands. No more cratering issues. Velocity was 2780 fps with an sd of 7 and es of 12. This was using cci 450s and they seem to make quite a big difference from the 205m. Did have a light primer strike from my weaker spring i was trying out, and the primer went off with the factory reinstalled.
On a side note I started to wonder why most call them randomn damn flyers - RDF, since my first two groups with them were ~.3” and then looked at my last 4 groups 😂. I’ll post pics up in a bit, but for some reason I feel like my bolt is smoothing out real nicely and the factory spring really isn’t noticeable compared to the lighter ones when on the gun.

Attachments

• 17967999-EB0A-47F7-AE44-552D81664F49.jpeg
    17967999-EB0A-47F7-AE44-552D81664F49.jpeg
    550.6 KB · Views: 85
Justin
Are any .223 bolts available for purchase?

I wanted to circle back around. I found myself as an observer at a PRS match this past weekend. Lots of great folks with no issue letting me get hands on their rigs. It was an MPA sponsored event and they were well represented - must be gratifying to see that sort of response/support. While there, I got to lay hands on a Barnard setup for BDM, Impact and others. Now, to be fair, I'm a high end action neophyte without much experience at all. That caveat out of the way, the SOTIC action would fit right into the crowd based on feel. If the Deadline Ultimatum is as good...

Any updates on the 6 BRA project? That was the other thing I gained an appreciation for. I spent considerable time in discussion with a guy running his regular 6 BR @ 2840 w/ 105s (IIRC). I could scarcely believe how small that case looked in the flesh. That fact that it eats my 6.5 CM for lunch hurts my heart! I reviewed a couple stages with this shooter and looked at his DOPE/Drop Card...dialing/holding significantly less than I would be. Granted, that's with a much longer barrel too...

The bright side is that I finally got out to the range with all the craziness going on. Despite my dropping, dragging and smacking various parts and the whole, my SOTIC still shoots. I had the ISMS off for some reason and re-zero'd w/ Hornady 140 AG to just get back in the groove. POI shifted about 2 inches high, so I'll need to reset my turret once I get the 140 ELD-M out and confirm (or figure my life out and shoot something else). Otherwise, still hammering away with $0.75/rd ammo is my consolation for not having 6 BR ballistics. I guess I need to start hand loading...

@DJL2 just got a membership to the local private range and will be testing it out more this Friday. Have 70 rounds to fireform and will see how it compares to the 22” 6.5 creed barrel that used to be on it. The range goes out to a mile, but I’ll probably keep it around 700yds and in. Might try and record an entry for the covid 2 match!

Well got it out to the range to do some fireforming, these 105gr rdf bullets really aren’t bad. Walked it out on my dope and it matched the velocity perfect. But together a 5 round group on a 1 moa and 3 round group on 2 moa targets at 600 yards laying on the culvert pipe. Then shot the 2 moa target again standing with the tripod and put a good 5 round group on the 2 moa target at 600 yards, the upper shot was the last and pulled. Overall the gun runs awesome with br cartridges, the only issue I had was when I inserted the magazine with my chamber flag still in. Every time I inserted the mag before removing my chamber flag, I would have issues with the bolt locking up. I never looked into seeing where and just tapped the bottom of the mag and it would start running again. Looking back I wish I had trouble shot it instead of just clearing and moving forward. The gun is a blast on barricades, way way less movement than my 6.5 creed.

Attachments

• A7DAF557-F84F-4C4F-A3B7-6A9A3232B9C2.jpeg
    A7DAF557-F84F-4C4F-A3B7-6A9A3232B9C2.jpeg
    798.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 21D25895-4724-4189-A256-ABE1B7188D0C.jpeg
    21D25895-4724-4189-A256-ABE1B7188D0C.jpeg
    864.2 KB · Views: 77
Thanks for the report - been checking the Hide all weekend for it. Forgive me if I missed it - are you just running the stock KRG mags with the 6 BRA?

ETA - NM, saw you're running MDT mags.

I was thinking about this, generally, and factored Mon. Ted from ARC's comments about CRF (the usual "goto" for BR/fatties) - a mauser style extractor doesn't have anything to do with getting the case out of the magazine or, really, onto the bolt face. Clearly my understanding as to why they're preferred or their manner of operation is flawed in some way.

If it makes you feel better, I came from an environment where there were no chamber flags and have run the bolt closed on my flag several times...with resulting feed shenanigans.

I noticed that these are currently out of stock. Are more in production now? I'd still be interested in a Bravo stocked version with a 16" or 18" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel.

I noticed that these are currently out of stock. Are more in production now? I'd still be interested in a Bravo stocked version with a 16" or 18" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel.
In some other thread Justin @KRG mentioned that they just fulfilled a big .gov contract of some kind and that’s why they’re out, but they’re building more. I want one but don’t have the scratch 😄.

Got out today with my SOTIC for the first time since the lockdown. Still shooting great. Shot a 5x5 at 100 yds. The first group (top left) includes the cold bore shot from a squeaky clean barrel. Zero POI shift. Best group was .241", worst was .602". Average for 25 shots was .373". Got to love these rifles!
KRG 6-21-20.jpg

I shot this a couple weekends ago on a very windy day. That’s a 200 yard group (I was zeroing a hunting rifle at that distance). Heart breaking, heh. I’m still having some issues managing my bipod. Hope you guys are well.
4E953E95-6036-4D27-B229-7483E7226279.jpeg

Because I am obligated to keep this thread alive...

I wanted to post these to say that KRG did an first class job putting a rifle together that is truly sub-MOA. Not "it prints less than an inch for three/five shots when I do my part," it prints 10 shots into less than an inch even with me shooting it because it's just that good.

The SOTIC has been an awesome tool that has helped me identify my limits and weak points as a shooter (and a hand loader). The groups here were fired a couple months apart. The 130 TMK was my hand load that I used for the F-class match. The 140 ELD-M I fired today on a lark. I think the groups tell a somewhat unflattering story about my ability as a shooter, but you damn sure can't fault the rifle. Most folks, I think, would actually consider that pretty good for a rifle that weights about 13.5 lbs ready to shoot.

Ballistic-X-Export-2021-04-17 13 20 26.133918(1).jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2021-06-12 17 07 08.492620.jpg

Has anyone tried any prefit barrels on your SOTICs? If so, which ones are you getting? (I know, we have a barrel nut setup, I suppose I need to know the tenon size) I realize I can order barrels from KRG, and they're excellent, however I want a heavier profile and they don't plan on changing their barrel profiles so I need to go with something else. My 6.5 Chanlynn is amazing, but I can't fire more than 5 rounds before it gets too hot to touch, and our 100+ degree Texas summers only exacerbate the situation.

I’ll be curious to see what you come up with. My SOTIC has been shot aggressively with respect to firing schedule and heat. I ought to have got two to rotate, heh. I’ve gotta be getting close to a new tube, I should think. That may turn out to be a sad day for me… no guarantees that my next barrel will print all my hot, cold, clean, dirty shots to the same place the way this one does.

I’ve got another short action to carry, albeit not as nice, so going heavier might not be a bad idea…

Has anyone tried any prefit barrels on your SOTICs? If so, which ones are you getting? (I know, we have a barrel nut setup, I suppose I need to know the tenon size) I realize I can order barrels from KRG, and they're excellent, however I want a heavier profile and they don't plan on changing their barrel profiles so I need to go with something else. My 6.5 Chanlynn is amazing, but I can't fire more than 5 rounds before it gets too hot to touch, and our 100+ degree Texas summers only exacerbate the situation.
TRG/SOTIC Barrel Specs:

Shank thread:

M27 X 1.5 METRIC THREADS

MAJOR DIA: 1.052- 1.062”

MINOR DIA: .981- .998”

PITCH DIA: 1.017- 1.023”

CLASS 6G