• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Krieger_tactics: LONG RANGE PRECISION MARKSMANSHIP - Part 3 HOLDING FROM 100 TO 1000 YARDS

As a newer shooter or marksman, is this series meeting your expecations and desires?

• No. This series is too basic.

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • No. As there are newer and more efficient scope and reticle systems, your information is outdated.

Votes: 28 65.1%
  • Yes.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Yes. I use either a MIL dot or Duplex style reticle.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Yes. I am a newer shooter and the information that is provided in this series is very helpful.

Votes: 6 14.0%

• Total voters

No shorter

Frank-.jpg

Is that the guy with the wheel barrow and steel plates inside a briefcase that he will hold up for when he gets shot at?

My entire career is due to that guy.
I believe the strategy was for him to "catch the rounds" with the briefcase while his wife assembles her 18" NEF in 300wm for the long shots.

Fuck the status quo. Gecko was an innovator.

Reactions: RTH1800
Is that the guy with the wheel barrow and steel plates inside a briefcase that he will hold up for when he gets shot at?

My entire career is due to that guy.
Yes sir, also duct taping plates to his back under his vest for added protection to take multiple rounds from a 30-06. Dude is fucking epic!

One can only hope to some day be as accomplished and squared away as is the OP at his chosen craft.

Hello ma smith,

I appreciate your having written in.

I learned some time ago that if you adjust your 100 meter zero you may actually obtain 10 MILs of available elevation.

Please see the attached visual aid:

View attachment 7788899

-Krieger

What if you zero your variable power second focal plane scope at its highest magnification on top point 0 than dial down 1/2 your elevation?

I thought it was 300WM
We are both wrong it’s 308 for the duct taped plate.

hello friends,
Last year I made the decision to trust
my life on the street to Second Chance body
armor. I got the level IIa because it stops
the most rounds. plus I got the Trauma Plate
for the front.

What scares me is that, although I can fit an extra trauma plate in the front, I cannot fit a second one in back. As of late I have taken to duct-taping a second trauma plate to the area of my back where the heart and vital organs are located. Then I put my vest on.

Here is the questions. The ducttape "solution, although tactically sound, is hot and painful to remove. I would like to go
to the single-plate solution in back. What I am worried about is repeated hits to that area with .308 ammunition. I have a high-risk security job and I fear that I would be the target for repeated long-distance shots to my back.

Are any of you aware of a thicker plate that could stop, say, .338 Lapua or something like that? Is there a better way to do the second plate?

BTW, I am, of course, usually carrying a pair of ceramic plates in my briefcase so that I can shield my head. My SO (we work as a team when necessary) has a similar accessory containing a breakdown NEF single-shot 300 WinMag with an 18" bbl. The plan is that I shield us with my body and "catch the rounds" while she assembles the NEF. I lay down covering fire with my 23 (Bar-Sto .357 Sig barrel) and she makes the long shots. I will then throw smoke grenades to obscure the area while continuing to lay covering fire. The problem, of course, is when I have to turn my back to run, and then the problem crops up.

Thanks!

LONG RANGE MARKSMANSHIP - PART 3:

READJUSTING THE POINT OF AIM AND POINT OF IMPACT TO 500 YARDS

My call sign is Krieger. I am a former Special Forces Soldier (7th Special Forces Group, Ft. Bragg, NC), and security contractor.

SERIES
This is Part 3 of a series titled: Long Range Precision Marksmanship.

Some of the information contained in this post refers to Part 1 and or Part 2 of this series. In order to reference parts 1 and 2 you may find them here:
-https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/krieger_tactics-long-range-marksmanship-part-1.7106280/

-https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/krieger_tactics-long-range-precision-marksmanship-part-2-introduction-to-holding.7106361/

RELEVANCE OF THE MIL DOT RETICLE AND THUS THIS SERIES
The MIL dot reticle system can be used for various actions, to include estimating range to a target and holding (adjusting your point of aim off of the desired impact point of a target) in order to compensate for the external ballistic effect of the wind, etc., on a fired round while it is in flight.

If you are a tactical, long range precision marksman or hunter, the ability to effectively and rapidly engage targets at multiple distances could prove to be critical in your ability to defend yourself or others, win a competition, provide food for your family or others.

---------------------------------

ADJUSTING FOR ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS

While a fired round is in flight, winds, range and other factors can and do affect the round's path. In order to compensate for this affect on the round's path, a marksman may calculate the deviation upon the fired round caused by the environmental factors and then "dial on" the adjustments utilizing the windage and elevation knobs.

A marksman may also calculate how much he or she may need to hold (aim) off of the desired point of impact in order to allow the round to be brought back onto the target. Aiming off or "holding" as it is know is generally accomplished by applying the appropriate number of MILs in the scope's reticle in order to allow the bullet to fall and or be blown back onto the target.

HOLDING BASED ON A 100 YARD ZERO
For these calculations I will be using example data. To note, your data may (will probably) be a little bit different than that provided. The point here is to understand the process of holding in order to engage targets at range, given a 100 yard zero.

EXAMPLE YARDLINE HOLD IN MILS
YARDS
/ HOLD IN MILS
100 / --
200 / 0.5
300 / 1.5
400 / 2.5
500 / 3.5
600 / 4.7
700 / 6.1
800 / 7.7
900 / 9.4
1000 / 10.4

APPLICATION
The application of this data would be thus: The rifle is zero’d at 100 yards. A target (as so deemed) presents itself at 400 yards. There are no winds to be calculated. The “hold” in MILs to engage a 400 yard target (with a 100 yard zero) is 2.5 MILs.

In order to engage a center mass or point of desired impact hit, the marksman would then “hold” (raise) the center cross-hair 2.5 MILs above the desired point of impact

View attachment 7788879

NOT ENOUGH MILS AVAILABLE
Since there are only 5 measurable MILs from the center line to the thick black bar at either end of the cross-hairs of the reticle this process can be utilized to engage a target that is 600 yards away or less as any target farther away than 600 yards requires a hold of more than 5 MILs.

View attachment 7788257

ADJUST FOR THIS SHORTCOMING
In order to compensate for this shortcoming:

1. READJUST the dialed on range to 500 yards. 500 yards then becomes the Point of Aim / Point of Impact.

2. RECALCULATE the holds in MILs from:
A. 500 yards to 100 yards
B. 500 yards to 1000 yards

Example holds with a DIALED ON RANGE of 500 yards.
YARDS / MIL HOLDS

100 / 3.4 UNDER
200 / 2.7 UNDER
300 / 1.9 UNDER
400 / 1.0 UNDER
500 / POA/POI
600 / 1.1 OVER
700 / 2.3 OVER
800 / 3.7 OVER
900 / 5.2 OVER
1000 / 6.8 OVER

EXAMPLE
The marksman sees two targets.
The first target appears at a range of 200 yards away.
The second target appears at 800 yards away.
The marksman desires to engage BOTH targets.

Using the data above the marksman, in order to engage the target at 200 yards would “hold” 2.7 MILs UNDER the desired point of impact and engage the target:
View attachment 7788276

Then, in order to engage the target at 800 yards away, the marksman would hold at 3.7 MILs OVER the desired point of impact on the 2nd target:
View attachment 7788277

TAKE-AWAY
The ability to rapidly engage targets from 100 yards out to 1000 yards could be important in your long range precision marksmanship ability. While “dialing on” the elevation (range) change is a possible solution, this process also introduces issues such as loss of battlefield situational awareness, etc. These issues are easily remedied by simply readjusting the POA/POI to 500 yards and then “holding” the requisite number of MILs.

Would I advocate this process everyone? No, I would not. I would advocate that if you need to fire one or multiple rounds and you have a limited time to engage an exposed target or targets, it might be a technique that could prove favorable

FUTURE POST
You may find yourself in a situation where you want to engage a target using a hold, but the available MILs in your scope do not allow allow for this. I'll show you a method that you might be able to emloy in order to address this situation.

-Krieger

#greenberet, #longrangemarksmanship #remington #longrangeshooting #M24sws #M118 #sniper #precisionmarksmanship #precisionshooting #DDM #specialforces #specialoperations
I have a question.
On the cover of this book it looks like the butt pad is on upside down.
Could you explain why?

image-jpg.7789035

Yes sir, quick search reveals it fits the shoulder pocket better. I have not had the pleasure of shooting an AI.

I remember the question being asked. But I do not remember reading an answer.

Asperger
Definitely somewhere on the spectrum
View attachment 7789047

Perhaps. Or perhaps when incorrect information is placed submitted I think it is only fitting that correct information is then supplied for the benefit of those reading the posts.

The incorrect information that was submitted was that the utlization of all of the vertical crosshairs and subsequent elevation was relegated to the time when Unertly and Leupold ruled. That's untrue. This same technique is applicable to the use of today's modern reticle systems.

It's important to me that this mistake was corrected.

-Krieger

To all that have provided comments and replies to this series, whether positive or negative I want to thank each and every one of you.

I realize that in order to take the time to reply that there is a passion and a motivation that you have to see that things are done correctly in your sight.

Whether I agree with your point or not, I respect you for your having pointed out that you think things should be done a certain way.

MISSION
My mission on this forum is to provide basic information to marksmen with very little knowledge or experience in long range precision marksmanship, utilizing the MIL dot reticle to those who are looking for it.

If this series reached only one person with the information provided... I would consider my efforts a success.

According to the poll, this series has reached more than one person with the information that has been provided.

This is 100% success.

OFFENDED
For those who are offended by this series of posts, and responded with unkind comments, disrespectful memes, accusatory emails, utilized foul language etc., I would like you to know it was not my intent to offend you.

I would also you to know that your actions provide this series with even more exposure than I could have managed on my own - for which I am grateful.

Never the less, if this series offends you, I do have a very simple solution for you:

Stop reading the series.

FUTURE POSTS

For those of you who have read this series in order to become better marksmen, rest assured... I will continue to assist you in becoming better marksman by writing, providing diagrams, answering your questions and hopefully providing tutorial videos in the future as you've requested.

Stay tuned for Part 4!

-Krieger

Perhaps. Or perhaps when incorrect information is placed submitted I think it is only fitting that correct information is then supplied for the benefit of those reading the posts.

The incorrect information that was submitted was that the utlization of all of the vertical crosshairs and subsequent elevation was relegated to the time when Unertly and Leupold ruled. That's untrue. This same technique is applicable to the use of today's modern reticle systems.

It's important to me that this mistake was corrected.

-Krieger
Lol. Take it however you want. Your reheated-in-the-microwave-past-the-sell-date, 1980s, sniper manual posts don't belong here. They DO belong at firearmstalk.com where everyone will be terribly impressed with your call sign and the breadth of your knowledge.

Instead of actually participating and sharing this vast knowledge, you try to kick down the door with...,whatever you want to call these posts, and then seem to demand we sit as students at your feet and ask poignant questions of the master. If the content wasn't so remedial and honestly, taken from old field manuals rather than anything the slightest bit innovative, it might work instead of creating barrels full of scorn.

You're like a salesman who literally can't hear the word "no". They tend to actually do pretty well, because they'll just wear you down till the price of what you're selling becomes worth it just to make you go away. However, also like that salesman, you don't get rattled, keep your cool, and don't get terribly angry, which makes your utility as a source of amusement limited.

Reactions: riflegreen297
Lol. Take it however you want. Your reheated-in-the-microwave-past-the-sell-date, 1980s, sniper manual posts don't belong here. They DO belong at firearmstalk.com where everyone will be terribly impressed with your call sign and the breadth of your knowledge.

Instead of actually participating and sharing this vast knowledge, you try to kick down the door with...,whatever you want to call these posts, and then seem to demand we sit as students at your feet and ask poignant questions of the master. If the content wasn't so remedial and honestly, taken from old field manuals rather than anything the slightest bit innovative, it might work instead of creating barrels full of scorn.

You're like a salesman who literally can't hear the word "no". They tend to actually do pretty well, because they'll just wear you down till the price of what you're selling becomes worth it just to make you go away. However, also like that salesman, you don't get rattled, keep your cool, and don't get terribly angry, which makes your utility as a source of amusement limited.

Hello Fig,

I appreciate your having taken the time to respond. I respect your thoughts and your concise statements. I would like to look at a few points that you mentioned.

DON'T BELONG HERE
There are members of this forum that are looking for the information that's been posted in this series. While I admit that there is a very high level of skilled marksmen here, I must also point out that some members here are less skilled. It is those members of the forum that I am attempting to reach.

KICK DOWN THE DOOR
It wasn't my intent to kick down the door. If I've left that impression, I regret that. I will have to possibly relook my approach.

DEMAND
It is not my intent to come off as "demanding that the members of this forum sit as students at my feet and ask poignant questions of the master."

Again, if I've left that impression, I regret that as well.

My intent was to reach out to a very select group of personnel who had a very basic understanding of marksmanship, and very little practical or tactical experience and to assist them in developing their skills.

Again, I appreciate your having provided this feedback. It is valuable. The goal is to educate those who've not had the opportunity to become the marksman that they desire, not to get on people's nerves.

-Krieger

Reactions: M1A1Abrams
My reticle seems to be missing some dots. Can I still use your method?
8BF99BB1-4F4B-4E13-B35F-9A5B06801415.jpeg

Reactions: Ronws
There's 4 parts ?
I thought there was only 3.
Load, cock, fire.
Wait, there is 4....I forgot aim....sorry, my bad.

My reticle seems to be missing some dots. Can I still use your method?
View attachment 7792376

In theory you could. If you set your point of aim, point of impact at either the center cross hair or at the top of the reticle you could then, theoretically engage targets at known distances and then sketch the approximate "holds" required to engage a target at each subsequent yardline. This would be... difficult to duplicate, however could be done. You could also just dial on your elevation with the corresponding corrections (+1, +2 etc.) which I will be discussing in a later post.

Short answer... yes you could.

Thank you for your contribution,

Respectfully,

-Krieger

Say what you will this guy has not flinched. I love his stick to itevness. yes thats a word.
Kreiger you're ok in my book. Speaking of which I have that book bought it in 94 I believe, when I also bought a Leopold with that reticle lulz.
Still have the scope just put it on my 30-06. Of course we are talking 28 years ago I was new to long range shooting and at the time this was the shiznit (as far as I knew).

Hello Im2bent!

Flinched? Nope... Not one bit. Thank you for being ok in your book... You're ok in my book too! 1994? That's ten years before I bought mine... It's a fine manual for sure!

(btw... from the diminishing laughing faces and off comments it appears that the lions are growing weary of playing with their favorite chew toy - yours truly... Soon we might only have replies from those with sincere questions, comments and suggestions... How ever will I entertain myself without the colorful memes, and comments. :_-_(

-Krieger

Return policy?

-Krieger
Haha, yeah it expired in 1920 probably. All jokes aside, I think the TMR is a nice step up from the midot and closer to the modern reticles available. It's pretty bananas if you realize how complex reticle have become actually. It's all a matter of preference.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheOtherAndrew