• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Laser range finder vs. mil dot. Help Me!!!!

glockophile

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2009
Underground bunker! Indiana
Aright, I just purchased a new Leupold Mark IV M1 with the duplex reticle. The money I saved between the mil dot and duplex was about $125.00. Now heres the issue. I went with the duplex because where I shoot, the max distance is 200 yards on known distance targets. What I spent on this scope is a big investment to me and now Im having some buyers remorse. After perusing this sight, I see that mil dots are the gold standard so I came up with some questions.......

1. Would a laser range finder be a viable way for me to make the shots at unknown distances and are the laser finders more accurate than mil dots?

2. Should I send it out to have a mil dot reticle installed?

3. What did precision shooters (snipers etc.) use for ranging distances before mil dot reticles and range finders?

Im just trying to figure this all out. I know the scope will be good enough for where I currently shoot but the money I spent on the scope was a lot for me and I just hope I havent severely limited myself in case some new shooting areas, longer distances, open up for me. Thanks for your help

Re: Laser range finder vs. mil dot. Help Me!!!!

1. Would a laser range finder be a viable way for me to make the shots at unknown distances and are the laser finders more accurate than mil dots?

Range finders are generally much more accurate than milling targets. especially when you dont know the exact dimensions of the target in question. Also it is alot quicker, mildot master or not.
BUT it's just another thing to go wrong, break down, run out of batteries etc so it's always good to be able to mill with your reticle.

2. Should I send it out to have a mil dot reticle installed?

How long have you had it? Can you return it and upgrade at the store you purchased it from? Also you could consider selling and changing over. If you send it off I suggest getting the TMR reticle installed, it is IMO much better than the mildot. finer graduations, clear centre for a no obstruction sight picture etc.

In summary, the duplex reticle is fine if you're always shooting at the same thing at the same distances... You can play around with different ranges and adjust your turrets but reference points are lacking. Having a mil reticle is a big help when holding for wind, measuring leads on movers and sizing things up. If you need it, you need it. It's another tool in the box.
Hope this helps mate.

Re: Laser range finder vs. mil dot. Help Me!!!!

Don't worry about not having a mil dot reticle. The duplex will serve you just fine. You can find a decent rangefinder for that $125 that you could use out to a few hundred yards. Maybe a used one from eBay. Rangefinders are VERY MUCH more accurate, and faster, than mil dots. Using mil dots is not easy for a lot of people. Plus it takes longer because not only do you have to accurately measure your target in mils, then you have to use a calculator to plug everything into a formula to get your range. And you have to know your target's size in inches or meters already because that has to go into the formula. There are a lot of threads on here about using mil dots if you wanna learn more. Most people who have a rangefinder will use it before they use the mil dot method because it is faster and more accurate. The mil dot method is still taught and practiced in the military because technology can fail. If your rangefinder breaks, the mil dot method is something to fall back on. So it is definitely a good skill to have. Now, all that being said, there is something you can do to range targets that is free and easy. Just visually range it. It is not as accurate as mil dots or a rangefinder, but with practice you can get pretty close. But if you can swing that $125 or so for a rangefinder, do it. Not only will you be accurately and quickly ranging your targets, but you can use it for practicing your visual ranging by checking the distance after you guess.