• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Latest Greatest Rust Prevention?

2ac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2009
Seattle
I pulled my rifle from the safe yesterday, and to my dismay, it was mostly covered in a light rust. Then I see that most others that can rust did. This is all light surface and it will come off, but there is a small amount of pitting here and there.

I keep a dehumidifier in the safe and have since moved it away from the window. I live in Seattle, where its rather damp, but have not had this problem before. Plus it's been quite dry here for the summer. I suspect it's all from my very acidic sweat. I shot my AK last week, leaving a nice coat of rust on the trigger:(

So my question...What's the latest, greatest rust prevention. I've been using good old CLP and M Pro but I think it's time to step it up a bit. What are you using? Frog Lube? EEZOX?

It definitely protects your firearm. Other than that, have you tried putting a small heater where you keep the guns? That could also help prevent condensation and the forming of rust.

Another option is to cover the weapon in a light layer of gun oil when you leave it in the safe.

I'll admit to slacking and keeping them dry lately. I'll be spending the afternoon with some extra fine steel wool and CLP for now.

It's tough to keep things from rusting in the PNW. The main thing is to reduce relative humidity in your safe. RH is a function of water vapor pressure and air temperature. You want to reduce water, and increase temperature.

EvaDry dehmidifier:
Amazon.com - Eva-dry E-500 Renewable Wireless Mini Dehumidifer

Goldenrod heater:
GoldenRod Dehumidifiers | GunSaver Dehumidifiers | Corrosion Protection | Gun Safes | Gun Cabinets

Eezox is an excellent corrosion inhibitor, but it's SUPER toxic, and may cause some metals to become brittle (because it contains chlorinated compounds).

FrogLube isn't that great of a corrosion inhibitor. I use it in ARs as a carbon-reducing lube.

I prefer good oil-based lubes like Weaponshield, which are good corrosion inhibitors and good lubricants.

Good luck!

I use Birchwood Casey Barricade, formerly known as Sheath for many years. One of the better rust preventatives.

Several members on ar15.com and M4Carbine.net have conducted rust prevention tests with the popular oil/rust preventative products. You can find them with a quick Google search.
Here is one from M4C.net. Corrosion Testing (New Pics - 5-08-12) - M4Carbine.net Forums

I use Slip2000 EWL for external rust prevention (mainly because it is what I have on hand), and it has worked fine for me. Regular old generic CLP seldom does well at rust prevention, but is better than nothing. Since you seem to be fighting a pretty bad humidity/rust problem, you probably want one of the best in class rust preventers. EEZOX always seems to be one of the better products at rust prevention.

Look at several tests to see how different products faired. Keep in mind that some products may work better than others depending on the type of surface you are protecting, so pay attention to that. Polished bluing vs. Parkerizing vs. stainless vs. raw carbon steel vs. black oxide etc.

Personally, I find CLP to be three lies for the price of one, it neither cleans, lubricates or protects nearly as well as a dedicated product. Lubrication is not the same as rust prevention, though most oil based lubricants do over some rust protection.

In a moist environment, blued and Parkerized guns need to have the surface cleaned of moisture and salts with a solvent (I use Shooter's Choice, then they need a coating of something that will inhibit corrosion. I like Corrosion X spray for guns in general use and Boeshield T 9 or RIG for long term storage. Another good option is wax, as in Renaissance Wax. Properly applied, this leave a long lasting, wear resistant, vapor barrier coating that does a fantastic job of preventing corrosion and does not stain or smell.

Thanks for the tips. My ARs are doing fine. It's my Savage and 10/22 that aren't faring too well. The AR has me spoiled.

Fireclean is a protectant against metal corrosion as well as an excellent cleaner and lubricant. All you need is the one product, Fireclean, it's all I use on my weapons these days, bolt guns, pistols, AR's etc

I'll throw this out there - stumbled upon from personal experience and then after talking to a chemical engineer from Rain-X. When I was stationed in Hawaii - Hickam AFB, I had to wash my motorcycle weekly due to the humidity and salt in the air. I found - just by pure dumb luck - that Rain-X actually helped keeping rust and corrosion at bay on the steel frame and aluminum rims on my bike, in addition to coating the windshield. Years later, after an online debate about protecting knife blades, I called up Rain-X and got a chemical engineer on the line. He basically stated that Rain-X is some polymer forumula suspended in an alcohol. You wipe it on, the alcohol evaportates and leaves the polymer coating behind.

Is Rain-X the end all be all..... nope. But I found that it did indeed work protecting my bike, and I still use it on all my Benchmade knives. Can't say I've ever tried it on a firearm, but I wouldn't be afraid to.

Another cheap option would be just a can of compressed silicone spray. Spray on an old sock/rag and wipe down. Would be the same as those silicone impregnated gun socks that are sold out there.

Personally, I find CLP to be three lies for the price of one, it neither cleans, lubricates or protects nearly as well as a dedicated product. Lubrication is not the same as rust prevention, though most oil based lubricants do over some rust protection.

OH so true... But I love the smell, it brings back some good ole memories.

One other thing I have found that helps me is I never bring my firearms in from outside and place them directly into a safe, I always give them a bit of time to acclimate to the surrounding conditions.
Don't know if it helps but it's old habit, always figured its like taking a cold mug out of the freezer and seeing the moisture start to form.

Eezox is hands-down the best product I've ever found to keep my blued guns rust free and my semi-autos running great - even in harsh conditions!

Fireclean is a protectant against metal corrosion as well as an excellent cleaner and lubricant. All you need is the one product, Fireclean, it's all I use on my weapons these days, bolt guns, pistols, AR's etc

Yup works very well.

Yup works very well.

Does Fireclean work better than Sheath? I've been using sheath for a couple years, and am getting ready to strip down a couple firearms and lube them up for hunting seasons. It seems like the last couple years I've been stuck in the rain and snow a fair amount, which has resulted in some surface rust.

Last edited:
Goldenrod in safe and Eezox for me. I am a little concerned with what Clusterfrack said, though I've never heard any of that before: "Eezox is an excellent corrosion inhibitor, but it's SUPER toxic, and may cause some metals to become brittle (because it contains chlorinated compounds)."

Anyone know if there's anything to this info? Would suck for me as I love the smell and love using it to protect my guns. Absolutely excellent product IMO.

Goldenrod in safe and Eezox for me. I am a little concerned with what Clusterfrack said, though I've never heard any of that before: "Eezox is an excellent corrosion inhibitor, but it's SUPER toxic, and may cause some metals to become brittle (because it contains chlorinated compounds)."

Anyone know if there's anything to this info? Would suck for me as I love the smell and love using it to protect my guns. Absolutely excellent product IMO.

Why you like the smell of Eezox (it gets you high :D), and why it's bad for you:
Trichloroethylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mechanism by which chloride attacks metal:
Form of Corrosion, Chloride Stress Corrosion Cracking - CSCC

Good article on gun lubricants:
GrantCunningham.com - Library

Try Corrosion Block. We used it to treat our rifles on small fishing boats in Alaska. We lived on the boat for the whole summer and the guns stayed onboard the whole summer. Best anti corrosion we found was Corrosion Block. You can find it at your local marine shops. And it doesnt smell bad.

Lear Chemical Research Corporation

I use Rem Oil when keeping guns in my safe. A nice coat and you are good for awhile. I also put a number of my guns in the little silicone safe socks. This seems to help a little bit also.

One thing I have found to help is using Butch's gun oil and wiping the barrel with an oil soaked rag when it is warm from shooting. The barrel heat seems to help the oil soak into the metal.

Also have great luck with Cerakote on exterior and Dynamic Bore Coat (formerly Ultra Bore Coat) in the barrel.

Plenty of comparisons from amateur salt spray tests - most show that greases tend to fend off better, naturally, Eezox did fine in some but is very 'chemical' - go figure. WeaponShield did well in both grease and oil....

Others listed above faired not so hot,

I switched to weaponshield products after visiting with the owner/developer a few times, no complaints although I still like SlideGlide (B. Enos)

Coatings - Cerakote

Metal conditioning - melonite/carbo-Nit / Isonite.....

Despite all the wonder chemicals out there, and trust me I tried them all, the cheapest bang for the buck is remoil at Walmart. Just spray generously sttrr cleaning and ur done.

Thanks for the many great ideas guys. I picked up some T-9 for now, as it was easily available and the price was right. We'll see how it works for now. I'd love to eventually have my stuff Cerakoted.