• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leatherman MUT: Why you must have one.

clmayfield

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
I buy a lot of crap. A lot of the crap I buy is overly hyped. The item might be good, but it just couldn't possibly live up to expectations. The vast majority of stuff I buy falls in this category. Especially the stuff reviewed here on the Hide.

Well it is time for me to curse the Leatherman MUT with a positive review. LoneWolfUSMC did a great, comprehensive review of this multitool on his website here: 8541 Tactical - Leatherman MUT Review

All I will do is add some anecdotes to show how cool this tool is. Let me start by saying that I have owned a Leatherman or two in the past and they have mostly stayed at home. In my opinion, they have tried to do too much and manage to do nothing well.

First anecdote: I own a Seekonk Torque Wrench with appropriate bits. I also own a Wheeler Fat Wrench.

Both of these are honking large and sometimes I forget to pack them or just decide not to. I went to the ranch to go shooting and I noticed that accuracy had fallen off. 9 times out of 10, it is the rings loosening up. My torque wrenches are in San Antonio. I am in Victoria, 2 hours away. The MUT bailed me out. I had the Torx bits (got to buy these separately or buy a package that comes with them) and quickly found that sure enough, a couple of the screws on a ring had backed out. Sure, my torque wasn't exactly right, but I was able to fix it to my satisfaction without having to go home. It earned its keep right there within a week of purchase.

And how about this... I was out trying to dig a small hole and ended up deciding that the carbon scraper would be a great implement for that. Bad idea. I twisted the carbon scraper off. It is now 6 inches in the ground somewhere in a back pasture. The single greatest feature of this tool is the fact that you can replace tools individually. For $5.95, I am back in business with a new carbon scraper attachment.

Obviously, it is great to have a set of pliers at my disposal. These work great for removing fishing hooks and for stripping wires. Pretty much, it is a tool belt in one tool. And did I mention that I have hated past renditions of the Leatherman?

The knife tool on this thing is very handy. Opens easily with one hand and locks into place. That is a big deal given the fact that the handle is a bit awkward. Old school versions that I used to own would close on my hand pretty easily just because of the awkward grip to the point that I wouldn't use the knife anymore. So basically, the old Leathermans were a folding set of pliers where the Leatherman MUT is a folding set of awesomeness.

Also pretty cool is the Molle carrying case it comes in. It is set up to adapt to a 1" or 2" belt as well. Tyr tactical makes a case for it that works a bit better. I had a difficult time getting the scope wrench to fit into the factory case. The Tyr tactical case works just a smidgen better and makes it a bit more compact. You can find it here:

http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/details/breaching-and-ordnance/leatherman-mut-tool-pouch/

As I often note when I write reviews, I am not a "tactical" user. I hunt and shoot. If you are in my category, which I know a lot of you are, this ugly looking tool is worth the spare change. If you shoot a scoped rifle, it is a must have. And reading John's review, if you are in the military or LEO, it is pretty handy, too. It is ugly, so if you are into Airsoft, you might want to hold out for a SOG Recon Bowie 2.0. Otherwise, if you are male and not of the metrosexual variety, buy this. Or steal it, I don't care. Just don't steal mine.

I have one too. I bought it an immediately after I was like why did I spent so much on a leatherman that I could get so much cheaper. But honestly time after time I find it to meet my needs. Only thing is the first day I had it at the range I was trying to get the screw driver out and dropped it and cracked the plastic. My fault but I think leatherman will cover it just haven't gotten around to it.

Good little wright up Carter. I have a Leatherman Wave and Wingman. I REALLY like the Wave although I leave it in the tackle box because it is too big for a pocket and I don't like little pouches on my belt. I bought the Wingman to act as a lightweight Wave and it is that Exactly. I always used to keep it in my pocket and mainly used the blade, frequently the pliers, and rarely the other tools. It was a lot of tool for only $30 bucks which is why I bought it, incase I lost it... which I think I have. Oh wait let me go look... nope not there. Damn!!

I like mine as well, I have it attached to the bag that I carry to and from work every day. For me it is too big to attach to my belt, but I usually have my bag near by. I did want to have an EDC type multitool though, and as noted above some people do not like having things on their belt, me included. I like knives with pocket clips. I bought a leatherman kick cheap and put the pocket clip on that and it works pretty good, however the main tool I use most of the time is the knife and it takes too long to get it out on the kick, too bad there is not a leatherman that has a pocketclip avaliability and has a one handed opening knife.

I finally found the one I like with the Emerson/Multitasker EDC. It has a knife that I use the most and a couple of tools that are used like screw drivers and the like. I was on the waiting list for one as soon as I saw the release after SHOT. It was mailed last week. Loved it, though I bumped it against the wall and caused the pocket clip to actually break part of the G10 scale and rotate. It no longer holds fast in the pocket because the scale is what the pocket clip is tightened to. Emerson said to send it back and it is in the mail as of today. For the price of that thing I hope it gets fixed. Anyways, the EDC is a great tool and well made with D2 steel. It IS very nice. The pocket clip (and the price) seem to be the weak link.

I even looked at a swiss army knife and the only ones that come with a pocket clip are the single knives, not the tools.....

The MUT is great, but it is not an EDC tool....

I agree 100%. The MUT is not an EDC knife for me. It is too big for pocket carry (for me, at least. it will fit, but it is bulky). But it is a must for hunting or at the range.

I've thought about getting one of these for a while but my AR is more of a varmint gun that I just throw in the jeep when driving around the ranch. Do you think it has any good application to a Rem 700?

What is so much better about the tyr pouch? I really like the one that comes with the MUT. Its a bit too big for belt carry so it rides in the center console of my truck. Wouldnt mind getting the bit adapters though.

Maybe I am a moron, but I can't figure out how to fit the scope wrench into one of the pockets on the pouch that comes with it. The pouch seems smaller with the Tyr. But yeah, the pouch it came with was pretty good. I just stumbled across the Tyr, bought it, and liked it a lot.

Also, the Tyr is available in multicam:)

I've thought about getting one of these for a while but my AR is more of a varmint gun that I just throw in the jeep when driving around the ranch. Do you think it has any good application to a Rem 700?

If it is scoped, then yes. I have only used the carbon scraper to dig holes. Unsuccessfully. But I have found multiple occasions to use the tool in a pinch (as listed above). Sure, there are tools to use in each of these cases, but I don't want to carry all of those tools with me. I could definitely see myself in need of using the hammer one of these days and not having one. I certainly won't carry a hammer around with me everywhere I go. My main point is that this multi-tool does all of the jobs that it is asked to do well enough to get by. That is what it is good for.

I like mine as well, I have it attached to the bag that I carry to and from work every day. For me it is too big to attach to my belt, but I usually have my bag near by. I did want to have an EDC type multitool though, and as noted above some people do not like having things on their belt, me included. I like knives with pocket clips. I bought a leatherman kick cheap and put the pocket clip on that and it works pretty good, however the main tool I use most of the time is the knife and it takes too long to get it out on the kick, too bad there is not a leatherman that has a pocketclip avaliability and has a one handed opening knife.

I finally found the one I like with the Emerson/Multitasker EDC. It has a knife that I use the most and a couple of tools that are used like screw drivers and the like. I was on the waiting list for one as soon as I saw the release after SHOT. It was mailed last week. Loved it, though I bumped it against the wall and caused the pocket clip to actually break part of the G10 scale and rotate. It no longer holds fast in the pocket because the scale is what the pocket clip is tightened to. Emerson said to send it back and it is in the mail as of today. For the price of that thing I hope it gets fixed. Anyways, the EDC is a great tool and well made with D2 steel. It IS very nice. The pocket clip (and the price) seem to be the weak link.

I even looked at a swiss army knife and the only ones that come with a pocket clip are the single knives, not the tools.....

The MUT is great, but it is not an EDC tool....

The solution is currently the favorite tool I own and I carry every day. The Leatherman Skeletool:

Leatherman Skeletool CX Multi-Tool 830950 B&H Photo Video

I don't like traditional Leatherman (Leathermen?) because they are too heavy and bulky to carry in the pocket. The main thing I need is a good knife blade. The blade on this tool can be accessed with one hand and is as nice as any locking pocketknife I've carried. Other than the knife, this tool only has a sturdy set of pliers and and pretty nifty screwdriver system, though the bits are not standard and I'm not sure if they offer anything other than phillips/flathead. I use the tool nearly every day whether for the knife, pliers, or screwdrivers. It is compact and light enough that when clipped inside a pocket, you forget you are wearing it. Did I mention I love this multi-tool?

not to sidetrack but I just saw this tool for the first time at the PX and thought of picking one up, any thoughts or comparisons of the two tools?

eFECT Military Maintenance Tool

looks like the efect is 82 bucks here and 115 for the MUT

Last edited:
I bought a MUT when I was attending some training back in the states a year ago. I really haven't been that pleased with it. I keep it on my Rhodisian rig, as its a little large to put on my belt. I both of the screw driver bits, because the retaining button was accidently pushed all the way to one side, without me noticing twice, which leads me to believe it could have been designed better. I have yet to lose the wrench as it stays pretty well in its pouch. I bought it specifically for my M4 and found most of the specialized features for the M4 are basically fluff. The knife blades are well designed on it, as are the pliers. I use it but regret its purchase. By contrast, I bought a new WAVE and love it. I find it to be more useful overall and much more easy to pack around. The WAVE I purchased came with a nice MOLLE case as well. I would rather pack around my BORKA tool kit and a WAVE multitool a little less weight and a lot more function.

It goes in the slot in the MOLLE strap. It will stick out at the top a little. Don't worry. It stays there pretty well and helps prevent the pouch from coming off if you bust the snap loose.

I gotcha. I didn't even try that. Well some folks can save $25.I tried it in both the front and back pockets and neither of them seemed right. I guess that's why.

Guess I'll have to try this thing out. I have a Gerber, but I don't end up using it as much as I thought I would.

I bought the MUT last month, but haven't got to use it much. I find the bits a little fiddly and awkward, but overall it seems to be good kit.
Skip

I have carried my Charge Ti every day since the day I bought it a month or so after its release. It is on its third sheath at this point. The only things I would change on it would be replaceable wire cutters and a better pair of scissors. Leatherman's scissors are nothing like Victorinox scissors.

The Charge Ti is the single greatest product I have ever owned of any kind.

In my opinion, Gerber is a fucking joke with their bullshit requirements; "credentials required" and for a damn pocket tool?! What a crock of shit! So because I'm not MIL/LEO then I can't be trusted with a tool used to clean my firearms with?

That's no different than US Cavalry requiring credentials to purchase a damn boonie hat! They, as in both of those shitbag companies, can blow me!

In my opinion, Gerber is a fucking joke with their bullshit requirements; "credentials required" and for a damn pocket tool?! What a crock of shit! So because I'm not MIL/LEO then I can't be trusted with a tool used to clean my firearms with?

That's no different than US Cavalry requiring credentials to purchase a damn boonie hat! They, as in both of those shitbag companies, can blow me!

I remember back in the day when Gerber made quality knives. At this point the quality is not in the same league with Leatherman. Credentials, LOL.