• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Legitimate Civil War (1861-1865) Question

nso123

High Speed Steel Stinger
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2010
Tennessee
I live in an area where there was supposed to be a Union corral during the Civil War. Nobody has ever located the actual site of the corral, or if they have it has never been publicized. I have bought several books through the years with maps and such, but can’t seem to find any information that points to a location for this corral. This would have been in Tennessee. Does anyone know of any collections of obscure maps? The thought is that this is somewhere on private property. There are still some pretty large tracts of undeveloped land in the area that might be potential locations, literally 10,000+ acres.

I found a couple in a 10 second google search. You could be a bit more specific. I doubt corrals were very rare across a whole state.

If you haven't looked, the Library of Congress has a fairly large collection of Civil War maps that you can browse.

-LD

Reactions: nso123
That’d be a tough one. I’m assuming that it was pretty large and semi permanent for it to even show up on a map (beyond something scratched in the dirt).
I’d suspect in TN, for it to be that big, it would be near a settled area and there would be houses on the former site by now.

Can you give a clue as to what part of the state your looking in?

That’d be a tough one. I’m assuming that it was pretty large and semi permanent for it to even show up on a map (beyond something scratched in the dirt).
I’d suspect in TN, for it to be that big, it would be near a settled area and there would be houses on the former site by now.

Can you give a clue as to what part of the state your looking in?
There’s one on surprise surprise…Corral road, and another flooded for a dam.

There’s one on surprise surprise…Corral road, and another flooded for a dam.
You are in the right area, but by all accounts Corral road is not where it was. This is in the Signal Mountain area. The hard part is that there are roads that have gone by all sorts of different names through the years, so many of the maps that we have found from that time period seem to use conflicting titles. We do think we have narrowed down an area where some type of fort was located based on some geographical features, but due to roads that have been constructed and development we will probably never be sure.

What town or area… post some cooriinates. Or a “search area.”

Corrals on the Civil war could be rather large. Somewhere I have some stats on the amount of food-in and manure-out for a cavalry troop from a paper I did on war horses. Staggering numbers

But are you looking for something like a small camp? A whole large troop? A staging area for horses (like a supply depot?). There were a number in the land between the rivers area.

If you don’t want to post send me a pm. I did a lot of map work on TN for my Hinson project. Glad to try and help.

Sirhr

IMG_2337.jpeg

All over TN.

OP mentions Signal Mountain....in the Chattanooga area in Hamilton Co. If I recall correctly Sherman bivouacked in that area in preparation for assault on Lookout Mountain.....did several Boy Scout hikes in the 60s up Lookout Mountain....followed the assault path up the mountain