• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Let Talk - M2008...Calibers for Switch Barrel?

Wheres-Waldo

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2008
Unknown
Well, my order is in for a SA .473" bolt!!!

Making its home in a McM A5 which is heading to the production line.

A few questions reguarding my build and the action.

First concern is if 20 MOA inclination on the optics rail will be enough, concidering that this will be a multi-caliber platoform.

Secondly, with the M5 DBM, .243Win, .260Win and .308Win should all feed from the same .308Win magazine correct?

Third, who is making barrels for you guys? Are you required to send in your action for a new barrel of different caliber? (Bobby, would you need my action to make me additional barrels after the original barreling?)

For barrel changes, all I'de need is an action wrench, 60 ft.lb. torque wrench, barrel clamp, bench vise and go/no-go guages?

Is their any problems removing the action from its bedding, seeing as how their are all these flat and perpindicular protrusions, and 0 taper recoil lugs?

Re: Let Talk - M2008...Custom build tweaks.

1. Yes, but depends on your scope

2. Yes

3. Not sure who all makes barrels, but my friend has had a few made and has never had to send in his receiver.

4. Yes

5. Probably not

Kombar nailed it for 1,2,4, 3 - I had Bartlein do mine, and they do one Frank did one heck of a job, and 5 - depends on who does your bedding job and how careful you are removing it.

The optic is going to be a 34mm USO

Also, where to get a BO action wrench?

myself and another member are in the process of developing new pillars that will alleviate the problems, I will post some pics and let you know the price

here are the pillars, they will come in aluminum or stainless
DSC_0172.JPG

DSC_0173.JPG

DSC_0175.JPG

DSC_0177.JPG

Adam, have you bedded a stock with these yet?

How much per steel pair?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The optic is going to be a 34mm USO

Also, where to get a BO action wrench? </div></div>

I got one from a member on here, wi50 I think...

hopefully if not already mcree stocks will make a stock for this!

If you guys want I can get busy building on the chasis that I have been designing. If I can get more than a couple of guys wanting them it may make it more apealing. It may take some money up front or minimum order to get them on a machine. I will be finishing the design here in the next few weeks. Its goin to take a few weeks to get papers back from the ATF so widgets are my main focus for a while. I have been thinking AICS mags, EDM style collapsing stock, AR handguards, Oh and a over the bore bipod system? I have been working on one for about a year now. Just havent put anything in a machine yet. I have mocked one up for a remmy action, but the badger looks like it lends itself to the idea mo betta. Let me know if that twists your tator or not? I would listen to any design input. I am a quality guy, but I also dont see why some chasis that are out there are priced so high. I have been in CNC design and programming for some time now and I am pretty good at making money at accurate machining. I have been in robotics and custom automation but guns are my passion. Now with the closing of the shop I am at my own mercy. I have been toying with some design ideas for some time just been working my butt off trying to save our shop(day job). Now with that out of the way I am in my own shop trying to make a buck. Thanks for any input.

Jason

Yeah RUM...Im still in the parts requisitioning stage of the build over here....Your stock sounds appealing.

What all are you set-up to do in your shop?
Trying to find a smith who can do the myriad of work I want done in one facility...

And Adam, Kampfields website says he is only flutting Rem style bolts? How long ago did he flute your bolt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah RUM...Im still in the parts requisitioning stage of the build over here....Your stock sounds appealing.

What all are you set-up to do in your shop?
Trying to find a smith who can do the myriad of work I want done in one facility...

And Adam, Kampfields website says he is only flutting Rem style bolts? How long ago did he flute your bolt?

</div></div>
I just talked to him last week. He said he'll do the BO bolts, no problem.

I can do anything manually. I am in the process of getting my FFL so for now no actuall gunsmithing. That is why I said I am focussing on widgets. I have built a few rifles tho. I will be getting my class 2 manufacturers FFL so I will be doing custom suppressor work, SBRs whatever I am asked to do. I have solidworks and mastercam and enjoy the design side of things. I will be finishing up all the work I have in the shop this week and just focusing on my chasis ideas. I had a bunch of solidworks drawings before they closed the shop. I dont know if you guys have ever been laid off before, but they dont give you time to get your files out of your computer. So I have just obtained a legal copy of solidworks and will start to redraw all my stuff. I am not sure how or if I can show pics until it is ready. I like Adams style and may work with him bouncing ideas back and forth to get this thing going. Its just going to be slow going or a order of faith to get it in motion. I have exhausted our funds trying to get this shop going. I do have access to CNC tho and can get them going within a couple weeks if there is enough intrest.

Jason

Interest takes pics. I'm familiar with Solid, and you can post pics of drawings, like so:

solidworks.jpg

But you know that. I ask b/c I have a M2008, and AICS, and while I've not found another chassis I like better, I'd like to see what you got cooking before I mill this one.

That is why I have reservations about showing them. Too many smart guys with access to solidworks and machines. I did a screen shot of a baffel design I had a few years ago and the exact screen shot is on so many websights with people claiming it as their own. I was in the aftermarket atv buisness for some time and everyone copys everyone. Now I know this(the HIDE) is a different crowd but I am still leary of guys getting to this before I do. I had been working on my remmy design ever since I shot a AICS. Mine incorporates the "tube gun" mentality with the AR parts and dual rail collapsing stock. Then Mcrees came out and I put it on the back burner. Then the badger action came out and it has renewed my intrest. I am just trying to find a way financially to get things going. I didnt really plan on letting the cat out till the bag was full. BUT......My over the bore bipod system I am working on will have full rotation with a pressure activated lock. Basically you will let the gun "hang" level. When you are ready to shoot you put a bit of preasure in the gun and it will lock or tighten so not to wobble when shooting. Just need to get back on the computer. The trouble is the computer doesnt pay the bills until the part is in your hands. Thanks for all the intrest guys. Looks like I better get off my arse and get going.

Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strictlyRUM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is why I have reservations about showing them. Too many smart guys with access to solidworks and machines. I did a screen shot of a baffel design I had a few years ago and the exact screen shot is on so many websights with people claiming it as their own. I was in the aftermarket atv buisness for some time and everyone copys everyone. Now I know this(the HIDE) is a different crowd but I am still leary of guys getting to this before I do. I had been working on my remmy design ever since I shot a AICS. Mine incorporates the "tube gun" mentality with the AR parts and dual rail collapsing stock. Then Mcrees came out and I put it on the back burner. Then the badger action came out and it has renewed my intrest. I am just trying to find a way financially to get things going. I didnt really plan on letting the cat out till the bag was full. BUT......My over the bore bipod system I am working on will have full rotation with a pressure activated lock. Basically you will let the gun "hang" level. When you are ready to shoot you put a bit of preasure in the gun and it will lock or tighten so not to wobble when shooting. Just need to get back on the computer. The trouble is the computer doesnt pay the bills until the part is in your hands. Thanks for all the intrest guys. Looks like I better get off my arse and get going.

Jason </div></div>

I would be highly interested to see what you come up with.

Soon! I have been busy. I have been contacting many people in the industry and trying to line up some componants. I hope to be making some chips in the next two weeks. I am hopefully going to have a few for trial runs soon. I will just tell you this will be combining some of the best componants, ideas, materials, and a few new ideas. All roled up in one.

Jason

Also.....Does anyone have a M2008 in wsm version that they dont need. I waited too long and they are out. All they have is standard now. If I cant find a wsm action I will have to sell or trade a fluted Rock in 7mm 9 twist to get a 6mm and go the 6X47 lapua route.

Yes and no. It requires a different extractor also. Its easier to get me to go 6mm than open the bolt face. I have reamers and actually more brass for the 6mm than the 7mm. I just like the big BC of the 7mm cauterucios. But I also like only 39.5 grains of powder in the 6mm? OHHHHHH decisions?

Jason

Re: Let Talk - M2008...More Questions!

OK gentlemen....I got a call from my mommy this morning telling me that parts were rolling into her house from UPS quite rapidly....

I pretty much have everything paid for....

Action- M2008
KMW-LRS Sentinel
Jewell with bottom safety
TAB Sling
Ive got my bedding compound, and all the goodies to bed the action with.

There are only a few things left, and of these few things I have a few final questions.

OK...lets do this one at a time...

1. This rifle will be a switch-barrel rifle, it will also be supressed.
My plan of attack is this....

*Run a .30 Cal. supressor, because .30 Cal is the biggest I'm gonna go bore wise. NOW....I would like a QD Supressor...so I'll need adapters. None of the calibers I plan on shooting (anything in the .473" family) are big thumpers, but I still want the functional aspect of a muzzle brake.

Would I be fine running .30 Cal brakes on all my barrels? Even if they have 6mm or 6.5mm bores? I just think it would be ALOT safer....I dont like the idea of having a 6mm muzzle brake in the same gun case as a .30 Cal barrel....see where I'm going?

---------------------------------------------------------------
2. Again with the switch barrel aspect, I will be running a few chambering in the .473" family, and probably I'll accumulate more barrels with time.

Heres where my head starts spinning....

We have all these .473" chamberings.... anywhing with a parent case .308 Win, and their AI cousins, 6.5x47L, 6.5x.284....ect.

Pretty much all of these are 1000 yard capable chamberings, espetialy in a well built rig... so what qualities should I be looking for in chambering I want to incorperate into a switch-rig?

I know a few things I want...
.308 of course...20"
6.5 x 47 Lapua...probably 24-26"

What couldn't these 2 cartridges do that some other .473 cartridge could do?

S RUM,

I was out playing with the 6x47L this morning and was getting 3312 FPS with 105 Bergers.Little primer flow and no sticky bolt.41.3 grains of R-17.How's that for smokin!

Steve

Steve how was the accuracy of those 105's, and where they the match VLD's or hunting. If you wouldn't mind sharing the specs on your barrel as well.

Theres been talk of anything over 3300 destroying bergers and having bad accuracy.

Thats about what I was running the 105 A Max out of mine. In the 20 loads I did in a rush to finish that rifle before a match I didnt have one go over .8 I love that round. In those 20 loads I used three powders and 3 different bullets. The A maxes were just a tad better.

Jason

Guys,

That was my first test for these.Just to see how fast I could crank em.I loaded 10 rounds in .2 grain increments starting at 39.5gr/3156fps and worked up to 41.3/3312 fps.I normally shoot the B115's pretty fast around 3100 fps.
These that I have are Berger thicks,(target)105's.

The barrel on my gun is getting long in the tooth and loosing some accuracy.Somewhere around 2200 rounds now,It will only shoot .6"-.8" anymore.It used to shoot in the .3's when I got it. I'm doing some experimenting before I get a new barrel.The barrel on it now is a Broughton 28" with .272 neck.I'm loading the bullets at 2.736" OAL.

Tomorrow I'm going to do a ladder test to see where the high node is.Then I'll do some seating depth adjusting and see what kind of accuracy I can get.

This barrel is going to go out in a blaze of glory!

I've got a 6mm=284 reamer lying around and was thinking about re chambering this barrel at a friends house when it's shot out.Then seeing how fast I could get the 115's and 105's out of it.I bet I could get the 105's to 3500 fps with R-17.LOL

Steve

If you want to do a 6-284 you might want to wait until you can buy VV N570 here in the states because r-17 has way to fast of a burn rate for that case. You cant come anywhere close to getting the case full. If you wait for N570 not only can you get your case full but depending on your barrel you should be able to get them into the 3500fps range you want

Nathan

Srum,

My apologies for stepping on your thread Waldo.

PFCSkoug was right!
My experiment was a total bust!The 105 Bergers were spraying all over the place at 300 yards during the ladder test.The first 3 shots were fine and it got worse from there on.Around 3200 fps was when accuracy fell apart.

I have some 105 Amax I could do the same test with.I'll let you know how that turns out.

I'm wanting a 7mm.Probably a 284 Win in a Badger LA.If I could afford a barrel every 6 months I'd build one off 375Ruger and crank some 180's at 3150fps.

Steve

Its not my thread. I beleive we are stepping on Waldos thread. I have good news for all those looking for a chasis system for these tho. I have a few of the biggest names in on it with me. More to follow soon.

Jason

Haha, thats fine, I'm out of money for right now anyways.

Atleast it will give me time to think on calibers/lengths ect...

Hey Waldo,

I got to thinking last night! Uh Oh I know. I was kinda sick from my anestesia from my back surgery yesterday. But anyways, Have you thaught of a whisper? Some neat ones that not many do around here are the 338 and 375 whisper. Both are based off of the 7br case necked up. Very easy and pretty neat. You can also do the 338 with the 221 or 223 case but this is assuming that you are only going to have the one bolt with the 308 head size. I am one to enjoy switch barrel guns but I usally want two extremes. Switching from a 243 to a 260 doesnt do it for me. But if I ran a 6mm of somesort kinda flat good to shoot comps and semilong range, then switch to a 338 or 375 whisper??? Now we are talking. You can load both of them up to supersonic if you happen to want to kill a boar or deer or something you still have plenty of knock down power. They are pretty easy to load subsonic. Although I havent had one I know a couple guys that play with them and say its harder to screw up than a subsonic 308 or even a 300 whisper.

Just a thaught.

Jason

I am editing this because I just read your above post a little better. For one you are not able to get quick detach systems right now. They are pulling all the detach systems from the shelves. It seems that it has been written that way for the entire time we just were able to get around it. A suppressor is made to use on one firearm and they are now saying that any part needed to make it work IE a quick detach is indeed a suppressor in its self. SO..... That being said I think many are still slipping by this but its up to you? Also I read you dont want to go bigger than the 308 suppressor. You may want to reconsider. If you went with a 338 you could still do the 338 whisper but also maybe grow into a 338 lapua or norma down the road. It also works fine on ANYTHING smaller. Its not as much size of the hole but the internal volume tha you are working off of. I have a 338 can that goes all the way down to my 204 ruger. Works great! A little bigger than needed but who cares. I made it from ti and it only weighs 20 oz. Any ways more to think about. I myself if I went 308 I would try something a little flatter shooting for my other case. The 6X47 lapua would be my choice. It is easy to do and is one bad ass little mag functioning round.

Jason

I am going to be making some badger action wrenches next week if anyone wants one let me know and I will make a couple more.

Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strictlyRUM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to be making some badger action wrenches next week if anyone wants one let me know and I will make a couple more.

Jason</div></div>

how much for the wrench?

I picked up my action this morning and have been playing with it ever since. Taking it appart, putting back togeather.

Thinking of having some engraving done localy. Going to call Kampfeild to see about some bolt flutting.

Jason, I'm going to have 2 barrels smithed up at first. Both Kreiger MTU Contoured, one 6.5 mm 1-8" and one .30 Cal 1-10"

The 6.5 will become a 47 Lapua, and the .30, hell I'm not sure yet.

PM sent on the action wrench also Jason.

By the way, does anyone know the torque values for the optics rail?

Desert, as far as I know its still on the drawing board, at my house, or somewhere in between.... Im trying to forget about it so as to not be anxious...

Ran my PFT this morning also.... 269

Well, almost all my parts requisitioning is over.

I have everything I need, minus a barrel and optic.

Optic will be the last thing I buy, I REALLY want a S&B 5-25x56 P4

Ide like to find a BR gunsmith to smith the barrel (Krieger MTU 6.5mm 1-8" with a funky SureFire muzzle contour) but most either make actions or barrels, and are less than enthralled to work on anything but their own.

I got a few weird "HUH?"'s when I told them I wanted a .338 Cal brake on my 6.5mm barrel.

Ill have to get the whole shabang coated once its been fitted.
Action will be Nitride salt bathed, and the barrel will be cerra/gun-kote...Im afraid a barrel clamp will take this finish right off once I do barrel swaps though
frown.gif

Oh and BTW Jason, SureFire still sells their QD muzzle devices w/o suppressor paperwork (Lucky me!)....Got my .338 Brake ordered today (4-8 week wait)

Norrels Molly! You can just about hit it with a hammer and it wont mark. You can get just about any color now too.

Well most parts are in or on their way.

Just heard from Terry Cross about my stock. Should be home by the time I get home this/next week.