• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing lets say i used a new mod 70 action

cjmac1988

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2013
so are the new win mod 70 good for a build ? im sure there is more aftermarket parts for them

Nothing wrong with a Winchester at all. I have 2 builds with Winchester actions and I could argue they are better than the ole M700. There are aftermarket parts for them as well. The "new" actions are limited to the factory trigger, I belive.

The current M70 action is made by FNH. Between the excellence of the design and the high quality of the manufacturing, it's a safe bet my next build will be with this action, just as my last was.

Timney is making a trigger to replace the M.O.A. trigger and claims have been made the 2 stage X-treme trigger can be made to work with some modification, though aside from a few emails I've not ventured there yet.

The barrel threads are a bit different. My guess as to why is to thwart would be gun plumbers from screwing with them.

Off the top of my head I dont know the pitch. Its fine. Like supah supah fine. 32tpi or so.

If your hanging a barrel itd be wise to encourage your smith to run a few practice tennons as super fine thread pitches require a slightly different touch when machining manually. Your margin for error narrows significantly and its VERY easy to gall stuff up due to a poor surface finish.

Practice, practice. . .

Good luck on your project.

C.

Last edited: