• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold MK4 - MOA to MILs factory conversion.

Re: Leupold MK4 - MOA to MILs OK it is HERE!

that's what I thought. Any ideas on price and delivery time ?

Rich, let us know what you think of it when you get it back. I have a Mk4 TMR that I would like to have switched over and want to know the details. thanks

Well damnit, now there is absoulty no excuse not to have matching units. Guess I'll have to send my NF in to have the knobs switched over to Mil/Mil.

(you'll understand that if you think hard enough)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich Emmons</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> New for 2010
Leupold.jpg

6 Mils per Rev

My scope is on the Way!

Availible for all Mark 4 scopes </div></div>

Can I ask where you got your information and the "picture?" Not that I doubt you, per se, but I'd like to do some reading on it myself to confirm. If it's REALLY true (the rep I talked to knew nothing about it if it is true), then I may hold off on my scope purchase once I sell my current SFP model and get what I want with these turrets installed. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Basher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich Emmons</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> New for 2010
6 Mils per Rev

My scope is on the Way!

Can I ask where you got your information and the "picture?" Not that I doubt you, per se, but I'd like to do some reading on it myself to confirm. If it's REALLY true (the rep I talked to knew nothing about it if it is true), then I may hold off on my scope purchase once I sell my current SFP model and get what I want with these turrets installed. Thanks! </div></div>

I'd venture Rich has a better source than the guys answering the tech phone. Leupold doesn't have a great history of folks on the phone that have any idea what they are talking about. I've sent a scope in after talking to multiple people to verify they could do something, only to be told once they got it "I don't know who told you we we could do that, but we can't and your scope's on its way back to you".

That's why I wanna know where he heard it from. The IOR 3-18 I've been turned on to is a nice scope, but if I can manage to snag a used FFP with a TMR in 3.5-10x40 LR/T and just have them throw the mil turrets on, I might be able to squeeze by on just that and save a bit of money (for my AR, anyway). So I'm hoping he can fill us in a bit. An actual photo would be much better than a CAD type drawing any joe could come up with. Hint, hint.
wink.gif

I called 1-800-leupold this morning. Asked for .1 mil turret conversion on a Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M1 illuminated reticle. The guy on the other end seemed to know what he was talking about. He said they would be available mid January 2010. I'll call back then.

I've called as well and they'll be available (mark IV's with M1 knobs) for conversion beginning next year. They're calling it an M5 knob.

If I remember I need to call and see if the adjustment range is affected by the conversion. Dependent on price, this may be a smart move by Leupy.

Hopefully this ends up being an affordable conversion. Have a 3.5-10x40 that I'd love to convert.

Interesting thread, I'll be waiting on some first hand reports of the conversion and then make a decision on switching over if the cost is acceptable.

Keeping it alive-can't wait to see how much its going to run.

I'm going to return the mark 4 6.5-20 that I just bought and order one already with the m5 turret. Save myself a major pain in the ass! I would hope that the elevation range of travel shouldn't be affected too much.

Michael T

Re: Leupold MK4 - MOA to MILs factory conversion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtlmj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
cmturret3.jpg

</div></div>

WTF......

This is something I thought we would never see, please share reports of the mod.
Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Basher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich Emmons</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> New for 2010
Leupold.jpg

6 Mils per Rev

My scope is on the Way!

Can I ask where you got your information and the "picture?" Not that I doubt you, per se, but I'd like to do some reading on it myself to confirm. If it's REALLY true (the rep I talked to knew nothing about it if it is true), then I may hold off on my scope purchase once I sell my current SFP model and get what I want with these turrets installed. Thanks! </div></div>

I'll have 4 to send in if the cost is reasonable.

If only I could have them do an FFP conversion at the same time ......

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That may actually be worth it for my old 16X MK4........ </div></div>

You cannot miss fast enough to win a gunfight.
"For fuck sake, go out and shoot." -LL

I’m new to this web page and the forums, and as I was skimming this particular thread I cracked up when I read the above about fast missing, too funny!!!.

This reminded me of a quote in a Fictional Novel of the Old West, there was a line in the book that said: ”Speed is fine but accuracy is FINAL!!...”

I had a discussion at work year before last with a SF operator heading to A-stan; we were discussing marksmanship in general. I told him about the quote about, and he concurred with, “A slow hit always beats a fast miss!"

I’ll keep my mouth shut on this topic until I feel I have anything to contribute. But the need to switch from MOA to MILS for windage and elevation adjustments seems totally unnecessary.

Maybe not necessary but it is nice when the turrets match the reticle, makes adjustments really intuitive. I really like the TMR reticle (especially the open center) and would have bought mil adjustments if they were available at the time.

quote=KYpatriot]Maybe not necessary but it is nice when the turrets match the reticle, makes adjustments really intuitive. [/quote]

Whatever one feels comfortable with I suppose. But knowing your MOA relationship at a specific range is key. I prefer the Night Force NP-R1 Reticle for their 1 MOA graduations in elevation and 2 MOA graduations in windage with .25/Qtr MOA W/E knobs.

My observation and experience is that a lot of folks that take an interest in “this area” try and get to a point of success/accomplishment by technical innovation and want to circumvent the long hard road to real accomplishment. There is no substitute for good equipment to be sure, but the key to successful first shots in the X or 10 ring at any range are good solid zeros born by good solid training and experience in application of the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship. Shooting and Flying are similar. Do it by the numbers, by the basics and you will always be successful. This whole shooting endeavor, no matter what the discipline is 20% equipment 80% mental. Consistency of application of the basics, one shot at a time no more, no less.

(Sorry if I rambled on a little too much), The Curmudgeon in me leaks out from time to time. Enjoy your equipment no matter what the turret/knob graduations!

I looked but never found a price to have this done??

About time..got a few to send in! Zero stop would be a nice touch..but I'll be happy with MIL KNOBS!!! for now

Not trying to be a BuzKill on the Retrofit talk but:
I think and am pretty sure for those that are wanting to change out all there Mk4 LR/mildot ret. to the new offered M5 Mil Turets , That You really need to call and check the born-date/serial # , on your Mk4's . I have had good times with my Mk4's -but- All Mk4's are not all created equal.
For the LR-Mk4's , ( I think ) that it might have to been built the last couple years to be a compatible to change-out. ( I know for me ) that I have walked into Leu. front door for the usual will-call pick-up on work. I wanted to just get the M1 knob change to the M2 on the Elevation. I was told it is a No-Go and was not going to happen just for that little change-out from M1 to M2. You would think that it's an easy parts change and all is compatible for it.
Maybe getting the new M5 knobs are a different story for a simple Mk4 Turat change-out but I would not Bet on it. Call first and talk to a Tech. . Ask the front deck girls to transfer you back to Tech. and have your (Model & serial # ) so he knows exactly which Mk4 you are talking about.
***Addition to the last post.
( I think ) that I am pretty sure that the guys that are running the models of ( Mk4 LR 3.5-10x40mm TMR FFP ) that been out for Long-Time now is the best Bet & GTG for the Retrofit satisfaction but I got one of the 1st runs of the, 8-25 LR Mk4's TMR FFP & I am still un-clear even after talking face to face with someone there @ Leu. if I will be able to get it changed-out .

This is great news, good move for Leupy...wish we had an idea of cost.

Whenever they start doing the conversions you had better get it in quick because they will be FLOODED with conversions to do

Just got off the phone again with Leupold (I was wanting to pick up a scope in the classified section and then send it in for the conversion). The guy I spoke with did confirm a new scope with the M5 turrets (as having .1mil/click), but he stated that they were not going to do conversions until 2011. So Rich must have good connections if that's what he's getting done to his scope. Either that, or this is the SECOND phone call and guy who's giving me the run around.

Rich, please let us know what you get back from Leupy. I just send a PM to the seller saying I'd pass since I can't get these done, but an update would be awesome nontheless (in case another FFP Leupy comes by at a good price, LOL).

Just like leopold start some thing good then F**k it ALL UP <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Basher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got off the phone again with Leupold (I was wanting to pick up a scope in the classified section and then send it in for the conversion). The guy I spoke with did confirm a new scope with the M5 turrets (as having .1mil/click), but he stated that they were not going to do conversions until 2011. So Rich must have good connections if that's what he's getting done to his scope. Either that, or this is the SECOND phone call and guy who's giving me the run around.

Rich, please let us know what you get back from Leupy. I just send a PM to the seller saying I'd pass since I can't get these done, but an update would be awesome nontheless (in case another FFP Leupy comes by at a good price, LOL). </div></div>

Got the same response as Single Shot when I spoke to Leupold conversions in 2011. Guy I spoke with said new production with M5 knobs will be available in the next few months...said 4.5-14 and up far as he knew. FYI

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Basher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got off the phone again with Leupold (I was wanting to pick up a scope in the classified section and then send it in for the conversion). The guy I spoke with did confirm a new scope with the M5 turrets (as having .1mil/click), but he stated that they were not going to do conversions until 2011. So Rich must have good connections if that's what he's getting done to his scope. Either that, or this is the SECOND phone call and guy who's giving me the run around.

Rich, please let us know what you get back from Leupy. I just send a PM to the seller saying I'd pass since I can't get these done, but an update would be awesome nontheless (in case another FFP Leupy comes by at a good price, LOL). </div></div>

They told me the same thing. I intend to go down there and ask face to face, the guy I spoke with didn't sound certain of where his ass was let alone when conversions would be available.

After they're done selling all 8 mil/mil scopes to some fudds maybe they can convert my MK4's.
mad.gif

I spoke to them a few days ago and the guy I spoke with said that they can not, nor will they ever be able to convert to mil. He also said there was no such thing as a m5 knob. I don't think they have much of a clue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneswithfunes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spoke to them a few days ago and the guy I spoke with said that they can not, nor will they ever be able to convert to mil. He also said there was no such thing as a m5 knob. I don't think they have much of a clue. </div></div>

That's my point. The people who are in charge of the project are probably going to shot or working, not answering the phones. I'll get a straight answer from a human in a few weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneswithfunes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spoke to them a few days ago and the guy I spoke with said that they can not, nor will they ever be able to convert to mil. He also said there was no such thing as a m5 knob. I don't think they have much of a clue. </div></div>

Back when I had my scope converted to 0.5cm, I talked to several people before sending it in. 4 out of 5 didn't have a clue about if they could convert, if they actually had a metric turret, etc. I sent the scope to the one guy who I talked to who seemed to know what he was talking about, and it got done.

It was a fiasco, since he also told me that it was 0.1mRad, and I sent it back, but it goes to show that they aren't all on the same page.

If the new Vortex PST's work out, all my Leupys are going down the road, except maybe one 4.5 -14 x 40mm MK4. Im tired of waiting on this.

SHOT show is an opportunity to find out what's going on at Leupold on this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Basher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got off the phone again with Leupold (I was wanting to pick up a scope in the classified section and then send it in for the conversion). The guy I spoke with did confirm a new scope with the M5 turrets (as having .1mil/click), but he stated that they were not going to do conversions until 2011. So Rich must have good connections if that's what he's getting done to his scope. Either that, or this is the SECOND phone call and guy who's giving me the run around.
</div></div>

This is similar to what I was told by a person in the know with Leupy. Not gonna say who or how, just gonna point out that Leupy is about 45 minutes from home for me.

Asked a couple days ago about it. Here is the answer I got today.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

They will be the M1 style, not the shorter M2. They will, in a year or so, be available as an upgrade to your existing scope, but new production is going take precedent.

Well, at least we're getting information from multiple sources that tell the same story. A shame for Leupold, though. I'm not willing to wait that long, so they may lose a "long-time" (5 years) customer because they're so far behind the curve. Such is life, eh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New midway flyer lists mark4's with m1 turrets with 1/20 mil? Or what they call 1cm per 100 yards.</div></div>

Someone is smoking crack.

Leupold has been making scopes for some time with turrets in 1/20th mil, or 0.05 mil, but that's not 1 cm at 100 yards.

0.05 mil at 100 yards is 0.18 inches - and that's about 0.46 centimeters.

One centimeter at 100 <span style="font-style: italic">meters</span> is 0.1 mils, which is a common scope adjustment increment.

I am pretty well versed on that... Just thought I would add what I saw when I opened my mail. Any updates on .1 mil conversions?

i sent an email out to leupold and asked about the conversion before the Shot Show. and got a reply from a rep that did not seem to have any idea about it. after seeing photos from the Shot Show of the Mk5, i sent another email. i have yet to get a reply.

my father is still shooting a 3-9x Leupold on his .270 Weatherby. both he got in the late 60's. during a time when you bought Leupold because it was the best, and made in the USA. not so much anymore
frown.gif

Leupold seems unwilling to keep up with not only the best, but the made in USA. i was greatly dissapointed when i bought a Leupold range finder. to discover it was made in China. shame on me for my attention to detail. with that i have bought firearms and such fully knowing it was made outside the USA. but growing up the name Leupold ment something. now it no longer holds the gleam i once had as a child.

Will they do this for all mk4's with M-1 knobs??

Thanks Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi guys,

i have a leupold MK4 4.5-14x50mm illum TMR with 1/4 MOA adjustments on the M1 turrets.

i bought this scope when i had an idea about what i wanted but not 100% about winding on targets.

rang leupold tech support last night, spoke to a bloke and he said it wouldn't be a problem to convert it over to metric MIL adjustment and change the turrets (as this would then become simply the M1 turrets with <span style="font-weight: bold">.05 mil</span> as opposed to 1/4 MOA).

$130 USD + $25 Intl postage back to Australia.

the TMR reticle is obviously in Mils so it only makes sense to have MIL windage and elevation.

if you have this scope, give them a call and look into it.

paint is not an issue on the scope.

Thanks,
Jim </div></div>