• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Leupold or BC Flip-ups

SLO

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2012
Portland, OR
Is there any reason to spend an additional $50 for Leupold flip ups over Butler Creek? Any advantages? $70 seems like robbery for something so simple...or am i missing something?

Re: Leupold or BC Flip-ups

Never tried the Leup. I have a couple BC sets that are 20ish yrs old and going strong; however, I have 4-5 broken ones that I bought in the past couple years. I'm not sure if it's just coincidence or bad luck or what, but I have broken a lot of them lately.

I think the Leupolds are really nice. They are the exact diameter of the scope tube and operate very smoothly. I wish other scope brands offered the same.

The Alumina covers are pricey, but they are top notch. They close with a tight seal and can completely flip back and lie flat on the scope. Its a nice feature if you are concerned about the caps snagging on clothing/equipment while in the opened position. When installed they appear to be just an extension of the scope.

Chase B.

The Leupold flip ups are in my opinion worth every penny for a Leupold scope. They look good and just plain work well. It is a shame that some of the other high end manufacturers haven't come up with their own high quality flip up caps like Leupold.
As others have said, I have a few pair of Butler Creeks that are 15+ years old and they are also very good. However I have a set of new ones (made sometime last year) and they are crap. Broke two 50mm caps at the hinge and eyepiece cap is not as positive opening or closing as my older ones are. As near as I can figure out they have changed to a inferior material (to save money I'm sure) and they are just not up to the quality as their older ones. This is actually one of my biggest pet peeves about companies these days, quit sacrificing quality to maintain your price point. I sometimes wish they would be up front and raise prices, and tell their customers why rather than trying pull some slicky boy maneuver on their customers. Sorry for the rant.