• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Lighter hunting set up - Questions

MAG00

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2012
NE Texas
I am in the middle of getting my custom 300 winmag built (Rem 700 in Manners T5A stock with DBM and #6 douglas barrell with brake) but was curious about a lighter set up for hunting.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">A little info for you for guideance</span>: Mostly hunt whitetail and smaller game, would like easily obtainable, quality, over the counter ammo, light and short but doesn't have to be drastic just something that would be comfortable carry distance with other gear.
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]What caliber?[*]Recommendation of make and model of stock?[*]Any other advice or suggestions?[/list]
I am a noob at most of the very detailed info so please try to give me info in a straight forward specific manner? I am trying to learn as much as I can right now, but still new to alot of the finer information.

Thanks.

Re: Lighter hunting set up - Questions

What price range? What ranges would you be shooting? I would go with a 308 for the versatility. I use a .308 Remington 700 SPS DM. The SPS series is very reasonable but the DM (detachable magazine) model doesn't have replacement stocks so if you don't like your factory synthetic stock (some people don't like it because it is a $60 stock. It is functional, but not very stiff.) you are screwed. I would still check out the SPS series though. I have also heard some good things about the Savage Axis (http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/axis) I am not an expert though so I would be interested to hear what others think.

Check out the Tikka T3 Lite. Depending on your budget also take a look at GA Precisions Non Typical.

MAG00,

Here's a pic of my light weight rifle. Remington SA, High Tech stock, and a #3 contour Pac-Nor barrel, 22" long. Ready to go weights 7.5 lbs. Something like this in a 6.5 Creedmore would be a great set up. You will be able to fly up the hills. Hope this helps.
grin.gif

Regards, Paul.

Pro-precisionPictures152.jpg

Bolt fluter is right about most everything but the caliber in my humble opinion. 6.5 Creedmoor isn't OTC available in most hunting areas. I'd opt for .308 or 7mm08. I'd probably look at a #2 Pacnor and a lighter scope for hunting.

Anything on a 30-06/.308 base that you can buy from your local sporting good store.
smile.gif

I hunted with a 06 for many years and it never let anything walk away,, For a pure hunting rifle its a good intermediate caliber, and the factory fed premium loads are great, with 165 Accubonds it will shoot sub deer groups and its going to last just about forever.

I'd go with a synthetic savage .....

Dave

Sako A7 in 30-06 and use Federal Fusion for over the counter ammo. Its basically the same a the Federal Nosler Partition but half the price and the Sako has no problem keeping the 1 moa guarantee with Fusion ammo.

Tikka T3 is also a great choice. I use 150 Nosler Partitions for it. They grouped the best when trying different ammo and it holds under moa too.

For off the shelf firearms and ammo those are my recommendations. You can get then in blue or stainless depending on preference.

Good luck

Tikka T3 is also a great choice. I use 150 Nosler Partitions for it. They grouped the best when trying different ammo and it holds under moa too.

Thta's several recommendations for the Tikka T3. I remember handling one quite a few years ago I liked them. Any particular model you guys like?

Also, I'm probably not looking at a 30-06 but I did think about 7mm-08 or 308 for caliber. Any other caliber recommendations?

By the way... thanks for the help thus far.

SAKO Finnlight in .300 WM is an excellent engineered rifle that will be able to hunt and harvest any North American animal.

How about a weatherby ultralight in 25-06 or 257 weatherby....... great guns, accurate and light...... I have both and are torn as wich on I love more.

My hunting favorite rifle that I own is a Kimber Montana in 308. Bone stock it weighed 5 lbs 2 oz. I added a DNZ one piece scope mount and a Leupold 2-7. It now weighs under 6.5 lbs with 4 rounds in it. Shoots sub moa. Everyone that shoots it loves it and it is short and handy with a 22 inch barrel. The new Kimber Mountain Ascent is even lighter but it is not stainless. Mine functions and feeds flawlessly. It is actually the least expensive rifle I own but by far my favorite. Good luck with your decision.

If you hand load, a 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 rem light hunting rifle is hard to beat. Take a look at the 140gr Bergers running at 2700fps...pretty impressive.