• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

List of Shooting Ranges over 500 yards

M1Amen

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2010
Hi Guys,

M1Amen here. I am trying to compile a list of firing ranges that feature distances over 500 yards. Here in the South, 500 yards is fairly rare and a 1,000 yard range is a complete statistical anomaly. So... if you know a range that has 500 yards or more, please list it here. Specifically, I am trying to compile a list of the 1,000 yard ranges around the country, but since there are so few in the SE region where you can use actual distance I figured why not start with ranges that have 500 yards and up.

We can use this format (but feel free to change it if you need to):

Town, State
Range Name
Distance Available for Rifle Shooting
Contact info for the range (no problem if you don't have it)
Comments about the range (if you have shot there)

----------------
M1Amen

Elberton, Georgia
Elbert County Gun Club
1,000 yards (available to members at an offsite location down the road a few miles); 400 Yards at the range itself.
www.elbertcogunclub.com ; 1239 Ruckersville Road, Elberton, Georgia 30635 ; (706) 213-0098
Excellent range with super friendly staff. Very low membership fee and lots of membership perks.

Last edited:
Blakely, Georgia
American International Marksmanship Academy
1,000 Yards available through the Academy's gun club
www.marksmanshipacademy.com ; 200 Sherman Rd, Blakely, Georgia 39823 ; (229) 724-4485

bend oregon
central oregon shooting sports assn. or better know as COSSA
1209 yd steel plate is the furthest to date. we are gonna have room to expand that to 1801yds. in the next couple of month's
this is a private members only range. they have youth shoots,cowboy action, long range lots of pistol ranges the list goes on and on. lots of which i don't take advantage in.
http://cosa.netgarage.net/

Last edited:
Lexington, GA (a few miles SE of Athens)
Gun Site Hills
715 yards
http://www.gunsitehills.com/
Wonderful range. Chief O'Neil runs a tight ship. Last time I was there (early Jan.) he told me of plans to extend the range to ~1000 yards, but didn't specify any timeline. See details on the web site to set up a time to shoot, info on matches, directions , etc.

Also, welcome to the Hide. And a quick question, How do you plan to share/publish the info you collect? One idea would be a "sticky" here on the Hide - Southeast Ranges > 500 yards.

Thanks for getting this started; should be very useful to shooters in the SE.

Hi OneShotJim,

I would like it to become a sticky here on the forum, and once it gets long enough, I will compile it into an Excel or other type of document.

M1Amen

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Albuquerque Shooting Range State Park ( nine miles west of the city )
This is a modern range with multimillion dollar updates/targets.
100,200,300,400,500,600,700,800,900,1,000 yard AR-500 targets as well as target stands.
This range is open to my club members NM MILSURPS and guest only.
Matches are the 4TH Sunday of the month, practice is the 1 ST Sunday

Houston, MO
Big Piney Sportsmans Club
Can shoot out to 800yds. Target boards at 100 yd increments out to 800yds.

I love this place, lots of matches, and members have access anytime and can set targets at any distance. Pistol range, short range (25-200yds) shoot house, and trap and skeet available. There is also a club house that has a full kitchen, so you can cook lunch while you are there.

I've tried posting a very good link twice but it keeps saying it needs moderator approval? Is this normal?

Rayner's Range in Blue Rock, Ohio. 1000 yard max. Info is listed on their site. They shoot a long range plate match EVERY 4th Sunday (and the Saturday before) between Feb - Oct. Rain or shine.

http://www.raynersrange.com/schedule/schedule.html

Thunder Valley Precision. Kimbolton, Ohio. 1720 yard max. Info is listed on their site.

http://thundervalleyprecision.com/

I've never been to Rayner's but plan on going this year. I go to TVP quite a bit and it is a great place.
Also,

Wytheville, Virginia
Seems to mostly go out to 1100 yards for matches but I think they can sometimes shoot 3000.
http://bangsteel.com/Home_Page.php
More info on the website. I haven't been there yet but am also planning on going there this year to check it out.

Last edited:
North County Shootists Association, member only range. Here is the website. Out to 885yrds S. California of course there is also the Santa margarita gun club that uses the Camp Pendleton USMC ranges. But mostly competitions.

http://www.ncsapala.com/

Palmdale, California
Desert Marksman Rifle and Pistol Club
100-600 yards with 1000yrd comps when scheduled
Members only club but easy to join .
Overnight camping is available to members and different disciplines are scheduled throughout the month.
It can be looked up on their website, just google the name.

NE of Dickinson ND,
No name
Can shoot rocks out too 1750 yards.
Isn't an actual range but i place i found on plots land that has many small rocks and scoria mounds to shoot at.
GPS location is: 47* 06' 18.1" 102* 34' 3.68" W from there you shoot almost straight east.

Fairview, West Virginia
Harry Jones Memorial
Harry Jones Memorial 1000 Yard Club
Up to 1000 yards (100yd increments to 700 then jumps to 1k)
Member only range..low membership costs. Plenty BR comps throughout the year and some groundhog matches also. More geared toward 1000yd BR shooters.

Brocks gap training center , birmingham al. 720 yards. Our 720 range goes from 50, 75, 100, 125,150,200,300,400,450,500,550,600,650,700,717 with steel at each distance.
+1 for k and m. Awesome guys, fantastic facility.

Las Cruces, NM
Butterfield Range
1000y range with target spots every 100y but with backboards at 100,200,300,600,1000
Butterfield Shooting Range
Cost: FREE/Public 1000y range has permanent bench rests and concrete block to shoot from. There is a bathroom but no pro-shop. This is where I shoot regularly.

Raton, NM
NRA Whittington Center
1000y range with firing lines at 200,300, 500, 600, 800, 900, 1000
NRA Whittington Center - Home (800) 494-4853
Cost: Yes. Membership/Public. I Have not shot here but have heard great things from a friend.

El Paso, TX
Fort Bliss Rod and Gun Club
1000y range
http://www.blissmwr.com/rodandgun/ (915) 565-2983
Cost: Yes. Membership/Public. I've been there but not the 1000y range. 1000y range has a sun shade.

Last edited:
these are set range, round target ranges with pits. sportsman asso. of greensberg, 500. solon sportsman, 600. alliance rifle,1000. whitehorse, 1000. reade range, 1000. miami rifle and pistol, 600. fort hill rifle and pistol, 600. all but greensburg have web sites. all are members only but have scheduled competitions open to public.

Los Angeles CA
Angeles Shooting Ranges
Various size steel from 100-600 yards including .50BMG-safe (marked red)
Rifle, Pistol, & Shotgun Ranges
Open most days of the year, busy on weekends, dead on week days. The rifle range supports paper targets to 300 yards, which you can get when you sign in. Factory ammo, cleaning supplies and sticker targets also available on site.

This thread is Great! I am a member at Elbert County Gun Club. I have never been to Gun Sight Hills, but hope to go in the next month.

I vote to make this thread a sticky. I travel alot for work and it would be really cool to check out ranges in different area's. I am definitely Subscribing!

Many 1,000-yard ranges allow you to shoot in actual competition if you're not a member.

Oak Ridge Sportsmens Association, Oak Ridge, Tennessee.

North State Shooting Club, Camp Butner, North Carolina.

Quantico Shooting Club, Quantico, Virginia

Yuma County, Arizona (Adair County Public Range)

Del Norte Gun Club, Rio Rancho, New Mexico

800-yard KD Range, Range 14, Fort Gordon, GA

Chattahoochee Rifle Club
(1000-yards at Maertens Range, Fort Benning, GA...600 yards at Easley Range)

River Bend, GA (600 yards)

Avery Shooting Complex, North Phoenix, AZ

Desert Sportsman Complex, West Las Vegas, NV

Boulder Rifle and Pistol Club, Boulder, NV

= = = = =

If you google "NRA long range rifle regional 2013" (or whatever year it is) you can find where they're scheduled to shoot in your state or within driving distance.

Gerrardstown, WV (Eastern Panhandle about 20min off I-81)

Peacemaker National Training Center

1000yrd with electronic targets (Patriot Range), 1200yrd unknown distance (Frontier Range), tactical (Liberty Range), shotgun (skeet, trap, 5-stand, sporting clays) (Homeplace Range), handgun (25yrds) and rifle sight-in (100-300yrds) (Independence Range)

peacemakernational.com

I shoot there weekly and am an RSO there.
3-Gun Nation holds matches there for the 3-gun crowd.
Membership gets you access to the entire facility or you can pay a day-use fee to get on the public ranges (Independence and Homeplace).

Gun shop on site...Colt authorized dealer.
Weekly matches and registration via website.
Training/Education opportunities on site.

Here's an episode from Gunwerks' Long Range Pursuit: http://vimeo.com/63425856
I'm running the 600yrd firing line with the electronic targets while the Gunwerks guys film and instruct.

Last edited:
Brocks gap training center , birmingham al. 720 yards. Our 720 range goes from 50, 75, 100, 125,150,200,300,400,450,500,550,600,650,700,717 with steel at each distance.
+1 for k and m. Awesome guys, fantastic facility.
Mark Williams from Tuscaloosa here. Could u send me a little more info on this range. Phone etc. thanks!

TVP - Thunder Valley Precision in Coshocton, OH. Steel from 100 to over 1700 yards with 5 different shooting positions.

Pearland, Texas
Bayou Rifle Club
1000 yds
F-Class 1000 yd match every first Sunday of the month.
Mid Range match every 3rd Sunday of the month

Rio Rancho, NM
Del Norte Gun Club
1000 yds
Tactical three gun (bolt precision, ar and handgun), tactical long range, rimfire silhouette, skeet/trap
Member only, but reasonable dues

Taylorsville, GA
Creekside Firing Range
500+ yards
Creekside is hosting a series of "Sniper Challenge" matches during 2013. The next two matches are Sat. May 9 and Sat June 29 with 4 more to be scheduled. Details at:

Club Championship Sniper Challenges

These are challenging and well run matches. Also, members can shoot out to 500 on Wednesdays - see: Long Range Shooting

Last edited:
In IL:
Aurora sportsmens club - Waterman IL 600 yds
PASA park - Barry IL 600 yds

In WI
county line gun club - Racine 600 yds
winaquah gun cub - Lodi 1200 yds

Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol in DE now has 1000yd range. There is also Peacekeeper in WV and Miflin in PA. Both "granders".

Last edited:
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Albuquerque Shooting Range State Park ( nine miles west of the city )
This is a modern range with multimillion dollar updates/targets.
100,200,300,400,500,600,700,800,900,1,000 yard AR-500 targets as well as target stands.
This range is open to my club members NM MILSURPS and guest only.
Matches are the 4TH Sunday of the month, practice is the 1 ST Sunday

For shooters in ABQ the shooting range park is open to the public. I think Rapidrob means that beyond 200yds the range is restricted access.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Zia Rifle and Pistol Club
600yd?
Mailing address:
12231 Academy Road NE #301-289
Albuquerque, NM 87111

One of the nicest things Zia has is a 100yd rifle tunnel.

I had originally posted the following info in ELR-Beyond 1,000 Yards section and was told by a member about this thread. If you have questions, feel free to ask away or PM me:

We recently completed our tower/shooting platform. Attached are pictures that show more detail as to what we have to offer. The platform is 12 feet by 12 feet and eight feet tall. Shooters can lay down and shoot prone or they can shoot off of a mobile bench. The safety rails around the deck can be removed to accommodate a shooter wanting to utilize a mobile bench. Target ranges start at 370 yards stretching out to 2,701 yards. We can handle calibers up to .50BMG. Shooters with .50's cannot use armor piercing rounds. There will be a variety of shapes and sizes on the steel targets. 95% of the steel targets are made of AR500 steel. The AR500 aids in identifying bullet strikes at distance as the bullets splatter against a white background. At this time there are 32 steel targets.

The platform was designed for shooters to be able to shoot 360 degrees without having to leave the deck. At this time, we have the North, West, and South ranges complete. The East range is not complete at this time. The North range features targets starting at 500 yards and increasing in 100 yard increments to 1,500 yards and then jumping to one mile (1,760 yards). The West range has targets starting at 370 yards out to 2,701 yards with targets spaced randomly in between. The South range has targets beginning at 500 yards out to one mile (1,760 yards) with random target placement in between. All targets have large dirt berms behind them to help locate and absorb misses. In addition, if shooters choose to shoot from the ground/hill side, we can accommodate them.

I just posted the pics of our range (see above). I failed to mention we are in Southwest Texas. We are two hours south of Midland, Texas and 30 minutes north of Sanderson, Texas. We know the frustration felt by shooters wanting to stretch out their rifles who are limited at local ranges. We built this to give shooters an opportunity to go well beyond 1,000 yards, experience the beauty of the Trans Pecos Region of Texas, offer lodging, enjoy zero cell phone service, and a place to get away. We are in the 'sticks'!