• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loads for 30-06

Re: Loads for 30-06

Win 1x fired brass
CCI 200 primers
IMR 4064 47.8 grains.
SMK 168
Brass trimmed to 2.485
OAL 3.285
2720 FPS (A little slow, but the most accurate out of my rifle)

.055 MOA group out of my Tac Ops Lima 63, thats 1/18th MOA.

Will be working up loads for 178 Amax, 180 T-TSX ( I got a free box) and 208 Amax shortly

When you start on the 178 and 208 Amax's, give them a first try at a 10 thou jump, seems to be the best starting point for them in several rifles I've worked them for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">W
.055 MOA group out of my Tac Ops Lima 63, thats 1/18th MOA.
</div></div>

How repeatable is that group size?

I think the rifle with the load can do it every time, its the driver that will be the one to mess up.

Barnes 180gr TTSX
Fed GMM 2 fired brass
Wolf Primers
45.5 Grns. IMR 4064
Seated to 3.218 per Barnes specs
Didn't measure group that it shot but def. under 1/4 Moa, Im almost positive 1/8th.

30-06
Model 700
Broughton 7.4 LV 5C 1/12 @ 28"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>155 grain Lapua Scenar
3.255” coal
Winchester Brass
Federal primer
51.6 grains of RL-15
Hi-3147 fps Lo-3103 fps Avg-3123 fps
ES-44 fps SD-18 fps</pre></div></div>

Anyone tried h4831 or h4831sc with the 208 amax??

Well I just bought a 243 to replace my heavier 30-06 for deer hunting and I am relegating the '06 to targets. Since Alliant doesn't have a load for 190 BTHP bullets and R17 can anybody lend some guidance as where I should max out in R17 and that bullet? I've emailed Alliant with no response.

In my rifle I hit pressure signs right around 54gr RL 17 with the 208gr Amax. I would start low maybe around 47-48gr and work your way up.

Alliant lists 51.0gr of RL17 for a 200gr speer on their web page for .30-06.

Finally got to shoot some Amax's today,

1-10 Rock BBL 24"
Hornady 208 Amax
Winchester fire formed brass
CCI 200 primers
H4350 powder
.002" neck tension
3.400" COAL

Weather conditions:
46 degrees
30.09 pressure
3094' Altitude
63% Humidity

54.5gr
#1=2661
#2=2650
#3=2650
#4=2650
#5=2650

Average velocity = 2652fps
Extreme spread = 11
Standard deviation = 4

Needless to say I was impressed by the consistency. The velocity was a little lower than I'd hoped but I didn't run into any signs of pressure. I figure this will be a good year round load considering it fluctuates to above 100 degrees in the summer and into the negatives in the winter around here.

Anyone used Varget and 175 SMK's? I have a few 30-06 to load and would like to use what I have on hand..... if it makes sense.

Thanks!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone tried h4831 or h4831sc with the 208 amax?? </div></div>

Ditto. Should be little hotter?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone tried h4831 or h4831sc with the 208 amax?? </div></div>

Ditto. Should be little hotter? </div></div>

I tried some h4831sc. Accuracy was just as good as the RL 22, but velocity was a little lower around 2650ish.

I've since gone over to h4350, It burns cleaner than the 4831 or the RL 22. I don't have to deal with the load compression and I still get a good case fill. Velocity is right around 2650 in my 22" tube. Probably could get a little more fps with a longer tube.

Accuracy has been the best with the h4350 out of all the three powders so far.

In the process of a new build. Planning on putting a 26" tube on it to see if I can get a little more velocity out of it and back down on the pressures some.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone tried h4831 or h4831sc with the 208 amax?? </div></div>

I tried some h4831sc. Accuracy was just as good as the RL 22, but velocity was a little lower around 2650ish.

I've since gone over to h4350, It burns cleaner than the 4831 or the RL 22. I don't have to deal with the load compression and I still get a good case fill. Velocity is right around 2650 in my 22" tube. Probably could get a little more fps with a longer tube.

In the process of a new build. Planning on putting a 26" tube on it to see if I can get a little more velocity out of it and back down on the pressures some. </div></div>

I see. thanks!

I have a 22" barrel too, so I guess similar rsults for me.

plus I'm new to reloading (still in process of research and saving my money for the stuff lol) so I'm don't even know how compression is done.

30-06 using 22" barrel

Load:
Any 165-168gr bullet. Current hunt load 168gr TSX.
H4350 @57.5grs.
Win. Brass
CCI-BR2 primer
.050" off the lands.
2825fps

Print consistent 1/2" groups @ 100 yds. It just puts them in the same POI everytime. Not the fastest but accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone tried h4831 or h4831sc with the 208 amax?? </div></div>

In the process of a new build. Planning on putting a 26" tube on it to see if I can get a little more velocity out of it and back down on the pressures some. </div></div>

I see. thanks!

I have a 22" barrel too, so I guess similar rsults for me.

plus I'm new to reloading (still in process of research and saving my money for the stuff lol) so I'm don't even know how compression is done. </div></div>

Load compression occurs when your powder charge fills the case such that during bullet seating, the bullet will start to compress/compact the powder in the case. There are those in the camp that believe this to be somewhat beneficial, and others the opposite. Do a quick search and you'll find a whole lot of reading material...

That being said, every barrel and chamber is different. Some barrels are slower and some faster. Your particular chamber specs, brass, how far you are able to seat your bullets with regards to the lands and your magazine length will all affect your results.

Always start low and work your way up.

If you're just starting out stick with the published loading data to be on the safe side. The books will almost always be on the conservative side for saftey. Ask questions, Read lots, but remember, just because someone posted a particular load that looks great on the internet, doesn't mean it's safe in your rifle.

There are some great loads posted in this thread. While mine are definitely on the "warmer" side of the pressure curve for my particular chamber and barrel, they might be perfectly fine for someone else's rifle or way overmax in another.

Be careful and have fun.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna go with 4350 or 4831sc and SMK 175gr for now. I can't wait, my stuff gets here this week!

I know what I'll be doing on my next week's day off
laugh.gif

Does anyone have the minimum and max for 175SMK with H4350?

I know it has a min because it's a slow burning powder.

Hodgon's website's data center says min 55 - max 59. but that's a small window and I've heard they don't have the most accurate numbers...

thanks

When I was using the 175 gr SMK I used 56 grs of H4350. In my rifle it is a proven load out to 1000 yards. MV was 2921 fps from a 28" Broughton 5C barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LOBO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I was using the 175 gr SMK I used 56 grs of H4350. In my rifle it is a proven load out to 1000 yards. MV was 2921 fps from a 28" Broughton 5C barrel. </div></div>

damn, that's an impressive speed I think. about 300 more than mine. almost 100fps per inch. close to it

do you remember where you started to max out with the H4350 powder? I'm seeing signs kind of early with mine.

I started at 55 grs. and went up to 57 grs. w/o any issues. I did this in .2 gr increments. FWIW, I'm using Winchester brass & Federal match primers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LOBO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I started at 55 grs. and went up to 57 grs. w/o any issues. FWIW, I'm using Winchester brass & Federal match primers. </div></div>

and here I am using lapua brass and federal primers. I'm getting over pressure marks (extractor mark) before even 57... I saw signs at 56.8... wtf?

dsc01136p.jpg

lapua brass has less case capacity than winchester. You will hit pressure signs earlier with lapua than winchester.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lapua brass has less case capacity than winchester. You will hit pressure signs earlier with lapua than winchester. </div></div>

but isn't the brass thicker? I guess that makes no difference for extractor marks, it's still less case capacity to make the brass hit rearwards harder

what should I start my load development at then?

I'm pretty bummed out because I'm hitting max pres kind of too early. I don't think I'll get the distance I want with this setup. And this isn't even a 200gr bullet. Might as well shoot effin .308

I saw some marks at 56.5 even. I'm not sure, but it looked like a hairline extractor mark. At this point I'm pretty much at like 55 grains...

I'm not sure you're understanding correctly. Lapua brass has less internal volume than Winchester brass. The same charge in a lapua case will yield a higher pressure than that same charge in a Winchester case.

I would stick to one brand of brass for your load development.

If you're not achieving the velocity and accuracy you desire try another powder.

Anyone use IMR 7828 SSC here? or Norma MRP.

I was looking at QL, and they seem like great powders with low pressure for the 208 amax. 100% fill was at only around 50330 psi for my cc, with the highest speeds out of my barrel at like 2513

Norma MRP was 100% with 2549fps and only 50080 psi

I haven't seen anyone use them

to compare, RL17 was 87% fill @ 2507fps and 52500 psi
RL22 was 100% fill @ 2472 fps, 47422

if you compress teh IMR or the Norma, there are some exceptional speeds there with lower pressure

Have you tried measuring the case capacity of some of your fired brass?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LOBO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you tried measuring the case capacity of some of your fired brass? </div></div>

Sounds about right. I think with the 22" barrel, I'm right around 2550-2650. But those are predictions. No idea of real values. Hopefully I'll have a chrono soon.

Hey guys, a massive massive thanks for posting up all this info. I've just bought a 30-06 mainly for hunting but wanted to play around with some long distance shooting.
This has made the starting point for my loads a trillions times easier, and although differing barrel lengths and chambers etc it gives me some powder to start with and at least some workable loads.
Being in Aus we are limited to powders so need to find equivalents in posted ones for ADI which is a pain as it will change things a little but at least give me something to start with.
When I get my ass into gear i'll post up findings.
Thanks again!

Quick question, just did a comparison powder check and although the RL22 seems to be the way to go for the amx208 there is no equivalent in the ADI. The next one down though in burn rates is the AR2213SC which is equivalent to H4831.
Has anyone used this powder and would it be similar to the RL22 or nothing like? Otherwhise I'd need to jump up another one and go to h1000. Still new to reloading so understanding the jumps up in burn rate and effects is still a little challenging.
FYI the next best quoted powder after RL22 seems to be the H4350 and the equivalent in ADI is AR2209 if any aussie guys are looking
smile.gif

H1000 is too slow in the 30-06 with 210 class bullets, I tried it.

RL22 has given me the best speeds, but it is pretty temp sensitive and I'm using H4831sc instead now. It cost me about 50fps or so, but I get the same speeds all year 'round as opposed to the 100-125fps spread I got from January to July here.

ADI 2213sc comes up in QuickLoad to be a better choice in speed than AR2209, though I've never used either.

Can you get IMR powders there? 7828ssc has given some guys great results, I haven't used it in the 30-06 though.

Thanks bohem, had a quick search and yes there is a stockist for IMR, i'll ask my local gunshop as the stockist is 4hrs away...

We usually only get ADI down here, gotta love living on a island...

I'll be trying both the ar2209 and the 2213sc and compare.
So excited, my poor wife and kids will be lonesome for a few weekends
wink.gif

Give me the following and I'll let you know what the spot to start on would be for your rifle. My load data will get you close, but with some basic info I can get you a LOT closer.

Bullet
Overall length of loaded round (IE 178 Amax @ 3.950")
Water overflow capacity of your fired brass
Barrel length +/- 1/16th inch from bolt face to crown.

hey mate sorry just saw the reply will gather info tonight and pm you with it. Much appreciated
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vinconco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try RE-17. I got almost 2800 with the 208 amax

208Amax2800-1.jpg
</div></div>

vinconco,

Have you notice any different point of impact using RL-17 with temperature change? Seems like you got some good speed.

I am looking to load 200 gr. Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets in my old Remington 742. Anyone have any thoughts as to which powder to use? The Barnes website calls for RE15 or Hunter (better case capacity and higher velocities). I'll be loading out to 3.27" OAL. Magazine length is 3.28". Any other thoughts on powder and loads to consider?

This is pretty much my exact setup but 26"barrel with lapua brass, but I'm getting marks just a little higher. I'll have to check my 53.9... If no marks, I still get craters on primers

so frustrating and kind of upsetting that I can't get the performance I want. I'm gonna finish up my load of H4350 with more trials and then try out 4831sc per bohem's suggestions. hopefully I have more luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bartlien 1-10 twist barrel (M24 contour) 25" from the lug.

53.9 Grains H4350
3.434 COAL
Fed Brass
Fed 210 Primer
208 Amax

2700+ fps

Really consistent load and it hammers, my most accurate load to date. </div></div>

My hunting load for this year was

Remington 750 22"
150 hornady sst
46.5grns of h4895
Winchester brass
Magtec large rifle primers.

Didn't chrono.

Produced 1" groups consistently at 100 yards.

Im gonna try loading up some Hornady 195gr bthp when I get home to see if its better out of this particular rifle with its fast twist rate. 1-9 1/8

This is a target I shot working up an OCW load for the 208 AMAX and RE-17

30-06 Rock Creek 5R, 26" 11.25 twist
208 Amax
RE 17
Fed 210M
LC-69 fully prepped unfired brass
3.408" COAL
2.670 to ogive using stoney point gauge

I shot over two Pact MK4 chrono's in tandem. One used the original skyscreens setup with a 36" spread, the other used the infared skyscreens with 18" spread. The 18" screens were set between the 36" screens and both read velocities with the same bullet. I listed two velocities for each shot, the first being the infared screens @18"
Target was shot "round robin".

I settled on 53.7 as my OCW load and proceeded to validate the velocity using Vortex's LRBC program. I was limited to 420 yards but managed to validate the actual velocity at 2760 fps at 45 degrees. This is a temp sensitive powder so I will verify the velocity again this winter when the temps drop to zero and then again next summer at around 100 degrees.

208RE17.jpg

Does anyone have any good info using H4831SC with 208's? Would like to hear the outcome using that powder. I'm currently using Hunter powder and getting 2700 avg.

I tried 4831SC withe the 208 and couldn't get enough powder in the case. I left the 208 all together and switched to SMKs exclusively. The 4831SC produced good velocity and accuracy at 100yds but the H4350 is much better. With 4831SC recoil was much more pronounced and there were no advantages.
Currently my LR load is 55.5gr of H4350 with 190SMK seated .015" from the lands, Lapua brass or LC69 it matters not, and BR-2 primer. This load produced .5 MOA accuarcy at 1000yds and even less at distances ranging from 300 to 700yds. It is not a short range load as the accuracy from 100yds and 200yds is not in a linear curve with that from 300-1000yd. My DOPE calculated velocity is 2880fps with this load from a 27" Krieger 1-10.
I will soon develope a midrange load with the 175SMK and report back when time allows.

Reactions: Bdill

Hey guys, I am a fellow .30-06 shooter but just started reloading. I picked up a couple boxes of 208 A-Maxes and some Re-22. I also got a box of the new Berger 215 Hybrids and was wondering if you had tried any of them out. What kind of results did you get?

I just bought some RL22 to switch from my 4350... I'm curious how it'll do. here it seems like it's a powder that will open up groups, but speed up the bullets... and jumps on temp...

kind of regret not getting the 4350 now =/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bhobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, I am a fellow .30-06 shooter but just started reloading. I picked up a couple boxes of 208 A-Maxes and some Re-22. I also got a box of the new Berger 215 Hybrids and was wondering if you had tried any of them out. What kind of results did you get? </div></div>

read my post
smile.gif

H4350 - slowest, but most accurate, temp stable
H4831SC - little faster, some say not as accurate as 4350, temp stable
RL22 - Faster, some say not as accurate and it's 2nd grade powder (Norma MRP)not too consistent and not temp stable.
RL17 - Fastest (I think) but too much air in case and SD varies too much

I only used 4350 myself, and it worked best but I can't go too fast or I get sticky bolts

I'm gonna try RL22 this time and see what happens... Might try 4831sc next and settle on one

so far 50 grains of H4350 worked well. it's not crazy fast with 208s, but enough to get 1000 yards... I think it was ~2500 for 50 grains of H4350

Here are my OCW results

Rifle specs
Trued R700 LA .30-06
Rock Creek SS 5R 26" 1:10 M24 barrel
B&C A2 Stock w/Atlas Bipod and homemade rear bag from a sock

Load Specs
H4350 (50-53gr in .5 increments) with 208 amax. 3.459 OAL with Lapua Brass and FGMM primers (.01 off lands)
First I did the foulers (3x50gr) then started with 49.5-50.50.5

ocw1x.jpg

Then I did the 53-53.3-53.6 (There is one missing on the 53.3 because I ended up striking the metal bar thingy on my chrono with it... OOPS! )

ocw2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bhobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, I am a fellow .30-06 shooter but just started reloading. I picked up a couple boxes of 208 A-Maxes and some Re-22. I also got a box of the new Berger 215 Hybrids and was wondering if you had tried any of them out. What kind of results did you get? </div></div>

read my post
smile.gif

H4350 - slowest, but most accurate, temp stable
H4831SC - little faster, some say not as accurate as 4350, temp stable
RL22 - Faster, some say not as accurate and it's 2nd grade powder (Norma MRP)not too consistent and not temp stable.
RL17 - Fastest (I think) but too much air in case and SD varies too much

I only used 4350 myself, and it worked best but I can't go too fast or I get sticky bolts

I'm gonna try RL22 this time and see what happens... Might try 4831sc next and settle on one

so far 50 grains of H4350 worked well. it's not crazy fast with 208s, but enough to get 1000 yards... I think it was ~2500 for 50 grains of H4350 </div></div>

Ok.

Do you know how Re19 stacks up? Does the burn rate split 17 and 22? If it does it may push the heavies faster while not leaving a lot of air space.

Any data with the Berger 215 Hybrids?

Taseal,

I tried H4350 as well and I get pretty decent speed, some where around 2630 avg. I switched to Ramshot Hunter and getting great results. Using 58grs (over max) with R&P brass,cci-250 primer, and 208 amax seated .020" off the lands.Getting 2720 avg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/trailrider121/1227111625.jpg

played with seating depth and bingo. 320 yards

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/trailrider121/0212122015.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/trailrider121/0212122017.jpg