• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Long range tahr hunt (New Zealand not Himalayan)

jonobattson

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2008
NZ
The cabin we stayed in for 9 days - a 10.5 hour hike from the nearest track.
PC300188.jpg

The river after some rain (lucky we had a bridge)
PC310213.jpg

Climbing up to hunt some tahr, as the sun rises over an ice-fall
PC290140.jpg

The same ice-fall from higher up
PC290163.jpg

Spotting equipment - the best way to find tahr quickly at range
PC290161.jpg

An almost mature, but not quite fully grown tahr, we left him to grow.
PC280093.jpg

More tahr through the rifle scope up a different creek, on another day.
P1010235.jpg

A different creek
P1010226.jpg

A view back towards the previous days hunt (far valley).
P1010253.jpg

Habitat for tahr
P1010255.jpg

Looking for tahr
url]

Tahr found...
url]

... and shot at 504 meters with a 7mmSAUM (Remington in ACIS) 14 lbs carried the whole way up on foot. The tahr died instantly, and fell to where he is pictured.
The bullet was an Accubond 160gr in front of 64.5grains of Vitahori N165.

Don't know why those last two pictures wont come up right. (?)

Re: Long range tahr hunt (New Zealand not Himalayan)

Awsome pictures, thanks for that. Terrain there appears hellish...in a amazing sort of way.

Looking for tahr
P1010270.jpg

Tahr found...
P1010293.jpg

THERE THEY GO!

Very very nice pictures of some of the prettiest country there is. Congrats on your successful hunt, I am sure it was worth every step you took...and by the looks of the terrain you took plenty.
grin.gif

Very cool, are you local?

I'm definitely hoping to get out to do some tahr hunting in the near future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CCarls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very cool, are you local?

I'm definitely hoping to get out to do some tahr hunting in the near future. </div></div>

Yeah I certainly am - are you on the fishnhunt forum too?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I certainly am - are you on the fishnhunt forum too?</div></div>

Funny you should ask. No, I just found it looking for some info on bird hunting. I just moved here a few months ago.

Never heard of these animals before...big goat?... great pics and congrats on a good hunt...

Wow that is some seriously nice range you have avail to you, I'll bet the pictures do not do it justice.

Yes - they are an endangered mountain goat in the Himalaya's, which were introduced to NZ over 100 years ago. They have flourished on our native plants and now need to be controlled in number by aeriel shooting (they were introduced for sporting purposes) although our Department of Conservation does not shoot trophy bulls outside of national parks, just the nannies and juveniles.

Tahr are very large and stocky, they can weigh over ~250lbs. Bulls are significantly bigger than nannies. They grow a large winter mane, and their hide is almost an inch thick at the shoulder, these factors combine to make them very hard to knock-down, let alone kill.

Bull tahr
bull%20tahr.jpg

Poking out its tounge (mating display)
Tahr.jpg

Here's some tahr skulls along with a few Chamois from a local scoring session a couple weeks ago

scoring012.jpg

scoring074.jpg

Re: Long range tahr hunt (New Zealand not Himalaya

Cool write up...well done! Im taking my family over there for a hunting trip/vacation next March. Red Stag and Tahr. Cant wait!!

I envy you =)

Very similar terrain in Norway though. Although you guys have alot more wild life, and game.

I plan on taking a trip over to NZ at least once in my life =)

Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing. Definitely an amazing hunt.

This is one of my dream hunts! Hopefully in the next couple of years I'll be able to get down to NZ for a hunt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool write up...well done! Im taking my family over there for a hunting trip/vacation next March. Red Stag and Tahr. Cant wait!!</div></div>

Whereabouts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cryptopunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing. Definitely an amazing hunt.

This is one of my dream hunts! Hopefully in the next couple of years I'll be able to get down to NZ for a hunt.</div></div>

If you decide to make the trip let me know. I've got a couple friends who are guides

PGS....I'm the lost son you never knew about....PLEASE take me to New Zealand....
cry.gif

If I had a "Bucket List" that would be number one...I can't imagine being able to live there...I've traveled all over the U.S. and Mexico but I've never seen anywhere that looks as awesome as New Zealand. I'm dying for a Red Stag!!

Beautiful country. Congrats on a nice animal and great hunt.

Sheesh !, that is some great country.
Now this after meeting some gals from NZ I'm ready to move.

amazing! good work
smile.gif

what gets me is how the hell do they build a hut 10 hours from the nearest track?! helicopter a bundle in and build it in place???
as for carrying it in piece by piece, stuff that.

would love to hunt NZ one day!

One of my favorite places on earth. I spent a month there 5 years ago, and I did not want to come home. Great pics and a great write up.

Have a good one,

L.