• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Looking for a good elk outfitter in Colorado for a 2018 bow hunt

gbrh

The Commodore
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2013
Virginia
I am looking into booking my very first elk hunt this year, been looking at either Colorado or perhaps Wyoming. It's going to be quite a drive from Virginia, but I prefer this option to be able to take home the meat (If I get lucky enough) in a couple of coolers. Archery season (September) during the rut looks very attractive, I have been hunting whitetail deer for years, but never been out west elk hunting. This is my first adventure and would appreciate any piece of advice I can get.
Where?
When is the best time for archery hunting ?
What outfitter?Why?
What to focus on?
What to avoid?

i'm in the exact same boat as you (VA whitetail, driving out, first elk hunt) but rifle and looking at NM or CO, and public land, DIY. Trying to go thru all the draw and kill stats to figure out what weeks and game units to draw for. Also open to advice, suggestions, etc!

Below are the Colorado hunting success rates by game unit, weapon and week/season. Helps figure out when and where your best chances of bagging an elk are.

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Elk/2016StatewideElkHarvest.pdf

i'm in the exact same boat as you (VA whitetail, driving out, first elk hunt) but rifle and looking at NM or CO, and public land, DIY. Trying to go thru all the draw and kill stats to figure out what weeks and game units to draw for. Also open to advice, suggestions, etc!

Below are the Colorado hunting success rates by game unit, weapon and week/season. Helps figure out when and where your best chances of bagging an elk are.

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hun...ElkHarvest.pdf

Thanks for the statistics davsco, highly appreciated! Let's see what the most experienced guys around here would recommend us. I am more or less set for archery this year, I guess it's something I need to prove to myself, lol...

Truth being told, I would also be interested to team up with somebody experienced for a DIY hunt and invest the costs of a guided hunt in tags....
I have plenty of hunting experience both in Europe and the US, but zero elk experience. I am in good physical shape, so no problem on that side.

Reactions: WT1
Here's my take. I'm from Illinois, did my first archery diy colorado elk hunt in Sept of 2016. First thing, get in the absolute best shape you can. I chose diy simply because I can go back 3-4 years for the price of a guided hunt. I also prefer the challenge and self reliance. It sounds like your pretty seasoned so you probably already have good gear. If not get it. Good boots, pack and tent will make or break your hunt. Also check on current wild fires before you head out and have a plan B and C. We got chased off the mountain on day 3 from a fire. It was not fun. Our plan B spot was also on fire.....
We packed in about 5 miles into a wilderness area. Still saw way too many people. Hikers, fishing, and hunting. It was so annoying not to be able to get away from it. We were a mile off the trail and still had people come through. I think it's just how it is in Colorado.
But despite that, we're going back again in 2019. So it's not all bad. We only saw elk (2 cows) on the hike in. I'm pretty sure it was probably the fire on its way that ran everything out.

Thanks NukeMan, that's a great package of advise. I am in good shape now, but plan to be in the best shape of my life by September. My equipment is pretty good and I plan to buy everything else in the next few months.
Any other ideas anyone ?

FWIW, I grew up in Montana hunting elk since 1984. Have been very successful, due in large part to having an older brother that taught me well. Over the years, I've been to Colorado 11 times for elk season due to the over the counter tag availability. Without a doubt, archery season is nothing short of spectacular (anywhere) for many reasons: typically the weather is better (warmer), far fewer people in the woods, you will hear and see elk going crazy (this alone is spectacular), and many other reasons. Honestly, I can't imagine spending $5000 on a hunt during rifle season on public land. Having said that, I know good hunters that kill elk every year on public land, but they also live in the immediate area. But for a moment, let's assume you're set on going during rifle season.

Look at the population centers...there are obviously going to be areas that are crowded, and areas that are very crowded...it is an absolute certainty that all public land is going to be crowded. The only way to mitigate this is to hike into areas that are extremely physically demanding (google Cameron Haines and research the kind of shape this guy is in). Areas within an hour of Denver vs. areas an hour within Durango. Again, Durango is still going to have loads of hunters, but go compare it with areas close to Denver. Second, most of the good guides get booked at the end of the prior season. Not to say a good guide doesn't get a cancellation or maybe there is some new up and coming guide, but be careful...do your homework and research their prior clients. Sadly, there are a lot of crap guides.

As for self-guided hunts with only 2 weeks at your disposal...may as well go buy a lottery ticket while you're at it. Sure, you can get lucky...that's about it. The only caveat to this is if you have 3-4 weeks of vacation time set aside and you go out and spend 1-2 weeks pre-scouting areas. And if you were planning on doing this every year of the next 10 years, maybe that's where you start...gotta start somewhere. Sure, its more affordable and if you're the type that enjoys the entire experience and doesn't mind the possibility of not seeing a single animal, then do it. As I get older, I've trained myself to enjoy the experience and if I bag an elk, great, but if not, I don't go home bummed. After all, if you're doing it to feed your family, you can buy a ton of meat for the price of a hunt. I've seen dozens of guys go home on $5000 hunts having not pulled the trigger a single time.

Myself, I like the Durango area. If you can find a guide that puts you on horseback and gets you in deep, you'll have a better chance of success and probably see fewer hunters than the areas open to trucks/atvs.

Maybe the best advice based on what I've witnessed
  • Be in incredible shape...starting hiking with a 40 pound pack up the biggest hills you can find.
  • Learn to be comfortable & confident with long and short shots
  • Be able to dismount, identify your animal, find target in your scope in literally 1-2 seconds (can't stress this enough)...elk are not going to wait around
  • Mitigate your body odor or stay home
  • Patience
  • Spend hours behind good binoculars, training yourself to recognize animals, movement etc (you'll be glassing for hours most likely)
So many other aspects that I haven't touched on. Again, I would never consider myself an expert elk hunter, but I've killed enough elk to know what works and what doesn't. And don't go spend a ton of money on gear (spend it on a good guide)...a $500 Savage gun/scope combo will kill exactly the same as a $5000 GAP/Nightforce. If anyone tells you need a 1/2 MOA rifle for elk hunting...hmmm, I don't know about that, maybe if you plan on making shots out past 500 yards. Nice binoculars are always a plus if you can afford them (great ones available for less than $500).

But I would start by seeing if any good guides are available. Geez...we didn't even talk about budget.

Reactions: gbrh

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Elk/2016StatewideElkHarvest.pdf

Personally, I wouldn't use that as a guide for probability of success. Yes, some areas have more animals, but there are too many variables that are not factored in (terrain, elevation, weather patterns, migratory routes, and on and on). I didn't open it and read it, but I wonder if that is based on self-reported data or game check stations.

Personally, I wouldn't use that as a guide for probability of success. Yes, some areas have more animals, but there are too many variables that are not factored in (terrain, elevation, weather patterns, migratory routes, and on and on). I didn't open it and read it, but I wonder if that is based on self-reported data or game check stations.

my understanding is it's self-reported. agree that there are lots of variables (though terrain and elevation in a given GMU should not change, but weather of course may and will), but for me, some 2k miles away, seems it's the best starting point. i def welcome other ways to figure out where to draw/hunt!

I've had 100% success in New Mexico, but that's only 2 times. And it takes a while to build up the points. I think you get drawn every 8 years.

Colorado can be good, but I would stick to the San Juans down by Durango and try to line up a guide. Or...here's another idea...in New Mexico we paid a guide to bring us out scouting for a day, that way we were able to get the lay of things. But not a lot of guides will do that. You never know...start asking around in some of the forums.

I've had 100% success in New Mexico, but that's only 2 times. And it takes a while to build up the points. I think you get drawn every 8 years.

my understanding of NM, which of course could be wrong, is there are no preference points, such that everyone has an equal chance each year, given that the majority of the tags are reserved for residents.

2 for 2 is awesome!

Wow, thanks for the great input guys, that's valuable info. Keep it coming.
I was actually thinking about September archery season in Colorado.
Any recommendations on what to do, what to avoid and good areas to focus on ?

If you have never archery hunted elk, you'll be at a substantial disadvantage without a guide. You'll need to know things like where to set up, how to set up, what calls to use, so on and so forth. I hate to say it, but if you don't know how to call properly, you're going to have a hard time and that in itself, makes a guide worth it. Then of course, you need to be able to shoot. If you practice 80 yard shots, then 40 will be easy. And practice different stances like kneeling down.

Focus on patience, masking your scent, shooting, and did I mention being in shape? And so much else I haven't mentioned...but if you can hit a target at 50 yards and you hire a good guide, you're well on your way.

Been to Idaho rifle hunting two years in a row now we havent killed an elk. Last year got close. Be in shape be and able to be uncomfortable. Hiking in a living out there for a week will test you. Go to rokslide.com so much good info there. I live for the adventure every year now its a year round pursuit. Could i hire a guide and probably kill an elk sure but now i have set the goal of doing it on my own. I am getting jacked up about october just thinking about it now.

Attachments

• french.jpg
    french.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 34
  • cimaron.jpg
    cimaron.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 31
  • pack.jpg
    pack.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 38
  • hazard1.jpg
    hazard1.jpg
    583.2 KB · Views: 30
About 2 but i was in the the worst blow down you could imagine. Coming out the last 800 yards took a couple hours it was a learning experience in just because you can go some where does not mean you should. One thing the guys out there told me is elk are where you find them some times that is right on the trail of 5 miles in. Learning the country is the most important thing

Been to Idaho rifle hunting two years in a row now we havent killed an elk. Last year got close. Be in shape be and able to be uncomfortable. Hiking in a living out there for a week will test you. Go to rokslide.com so much good info there. I live for the adventure every year now its a year round pursuit. Could i hire a guide and probably kill an elk sure but now i have set the goal of doing it on my own. I am getting jacked up about october just thinking about it now.
Wow, fantastic scenery Kurt and my respect ! I wish I had the team to do the same, but my friends are too comfortable ... but I am very pumped up for September archery. Will probably go with a guide and absorb all the wisdom I can in a week to be used in a SGH next year.

Like Kurt said, it becomes intoxicating and you'll start planning/preparing 11 months out

Elk Heart Outfitters in Pagosa Springs Colorado has some really good drop camp options where guys can get packed into one of there remote camps. The camps are nice and they point you in the right direction to hunt but you hunt on your own. Also when you get one down they bring horses in and pack out your animal. It’s rough country but the elk numbers are good and they only take one group of archery hunters into each camp throughout the whole archery season so the elk aren’t over hunted. They are also one of the cheapest you will find and they take good care of there hunters. Check them out!

Elk Heart Outfitters in Pagosa Springs Colorado has some really good drop camp options where guys can get packed into one of there remote camps. The camps are nice and they point you in the right direction to hunt but you hunt on your own. Also when you get one down they bring horses in and pack out your animal. It’s rough country but the elk numbers are good and they only take one group of archery hunters into each camp throughout the whole archery season so the elk aren’t over hunted. They are also one of the cheapest you will find and they take good care of there hunters. Check them out!

I forgot to mention that they are in an over the counter area for archery, 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons too!

Thank you all for the tons of information, experiences you guys had and recommendations. I just booked a fully guided archery elk hunt for September 2018. This is a great opportunity for me to absorb as much as wisdom as I can during that week, so I could plan DIY type of hunts in the years to come.
Top priorities now:
- get in the best shape of my life (I am already in a fairly good shape, so the work will continue)
- practice both short range and long shots with my bow, but mostly learn to judge distances.
- just bought some calls, need to learn how to sound like a bull or a cow.
- equipment: review and uptate, boots: crispi Nevada non insulated, Kuiu early season gear.
- optics: have a great Leica rangefinder and binos.
- backpack: I will probably use what I have, since this is a fully guided hunt I will go with day packs and the meat will be packed out by the guides if I am lucky enough to be successful.
- logistics: I plan to drive and take a couple of large 120+ coolers for the trip back. I have seen others using chest freezers and generators ... interesting idea.
Anything else you guys can think of ?

I got the beaver fever parasite drinking water straight out of streams in Idaho last sept ( but luckily got a 5 x 5 with a bow) I shit my brains out for 10 days after and took two antibiotics to get rid of it so bring a water filter system..Sweated my but off some days, got snowed on other days. Range finder with angle up or down adjusted range for actual horizontal distance. Wear layers, bring light rain gear, headlamp, and good whiskey, and spare release.

Winemag, that was quite an adventure, glad to hear you got a 5x5 in exchange for the suffering, congrats!
Thanks for your input, I'll make sure there will be a water filter in my backpack. Layering is important and I am already a believer in that, as well as the rain gear. I didn't consider the whiskey initially, but I'll make sure it will be in the pack.