• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Looking for help narrowing down new rifle choices.

Narsus

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2018
The time has come to buy a new rifle, I’ve debated a while whether to get a new bolt action or a semi-auto precision rifle. I’ve settle on a semi-auto for now and a bolt action later.

I’m not a hunter, I’m just lucky enough to have a range near me that goes out to 1000 yards, so just steel or paper for my targets.
For a while I was set on the 6.5 CM, but .224 Valkyrie came on the scene and looks interesting. I’ve been researching for about 2 months or so and I’m just about ready to pick and buy. First the list of 6.5 CM’s I’m considering, in a rough order of desire (very negotiable):

6.5 CM RIFLES
  • POF P6.5 Edge
  • Seekins Precision SP10 6.5 Creedmoor
  • Fulton Armory FAR-6.5 Guardian
  • Christensen Arms - CA-10 G2
  • CMMG Rifle, Mk3 DTR2, 6.5 Creedmoor
  • Aero Precision M5E1 Complete Rifle, 22" 6.5 Creedmoor
And finally the other option…

.224 VALKYRIE
  • JP-15 Precision Rifle
The above rifles are $2,500 or under more or less, hence, no GAP 10 or 6.5 JP LRP-07 (I do need to buy glass too). The rifle will be used mostly for casual shooting and the occasional match. I figured I could get a whole lot of rifle from JP, considering over half of the 6.5’s are about the same price.

I’m hoping for an MOA or less from the new rifle, and looking for assistance in narrowing down my choices.

Thanks for the help.

Seekins Precision SP10 6.5 Creedmoor or the Savage MSR 10 6.5 CM Long Range. As soon as I get back Stateside I'll be picking up the new Savage LR 6.5 CM.. it really looks like they did some homework on it.

Savage 5R 22' barrel @ +2 gas.
Quality Trigger
PRS GEN 3 Stock
Adjustable GB
True free-floating handguard (handguard connect to the receiver, not the barrel nut) kinda like LaRue

Savage made some tweeks and shrunk down the receiver area a bit making it a completely proprietorial and feels closer to a AR15 but, they left the barrel extension and receiver area dpms standard so you can drop in whatever barrel you want down the road. And at $1700.. that's a heck of a deal.

The Seekins already has a proven and outstanding reputation so no need to get into that.. both are awesome .. me personally I'd go Savage and use the extra money on quality Glass and ammo.

Last edited:
Honestly I'd skip POF, they went from rock barrels to green mountain, and geissele or timney triggers to their in house trigger.

I think the Seekins is gonna be tough to beat. I bought a receiver kit to build and it oozes quality, the heavy upper has a non-indexing barrel nut and the hand guard mounts directly to the upper. Looks like it is going to be super stiff. I think there is a reason respected builders like GAP and Precision Firearms use them as a base to build on.

You have asked an opinionated group. :oops:

First, I am not sure why you want a Valkyrie, but just my 2-c.

6.5 CM is a heavy-duty gun. I would opt for a performance proven platform. I think LMT has a 6.5 CM barrel. If so, look at the MWS. LaRue is solid. CA and Seekins are up and coming contenders, and always have a good product. Nothing wrong with anything from Fulton. POF and CMMG might not be on my short list.

For 6.5 CM, I would put my money into the barrel and the barrelsmith. None of this is plug and play.

Well usually the good stuff rises to the top, even from an opinionated group.

The Valkyrie was interesting, hence only the one from JP. It would be a solid rifle, I wasn't married to it, just a thought. Sadly LMT is over $1,000 out of my price range, and LaRue doesn't have anything in 6.5 CM that I can see (and a bit too pricey).

OK, CMMG and POF are out.

Seekins, CA, and Fulton are at the top. Is Aero out as well?

Aero is fine if you want to do a build. Would likely offer you better accuracy potential.

I'm having a 308 build done by sons of liberty gun works in San Antonio. They offered it in 6.5 creedmoor as well. The model I'm getting is a precision set up, but they have other flavors as well. Should run under 2500. They offer 6.5g and .224v also in the ar15 frame if you go that route.

Looks like I'm going with the Seekins, the more I read and watch the more I like it.

If you're willing to do some work yourself you might try looking at LaRue Ultimate Upper kit - https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-7-62-260-6-5cm-upper-kit/. They will also sell you a LaRue lower receiver for $400 (I think). You can have them assemble the upper for you (which is what I did). Once you get the lower receiver it's very easy to put the lower together and the UU kit provides all the parts you need. And yes you can get in 6.5CM - I know because I have one.

I'd tell you how it shoots, but because I live in Massachusetts, I can't buy a new lower receiver to complete the rifle. Fortunately, am moving to CO soon.

Building from the ground up is a great option, either doing it yourself or having a gunsmith build it for you. Best price/performance and you can really tailor it to your needs. I can provide a parts list if you provide a budget.

That said, if you just want something off the shelf I don't think you can beat a JP with their detent adjustable gas block, enhanced BCG, and match trigger.

Building from the ground up is the way to go. Do the research and send to a reputable gunsmith.

You say this but make no elaboration, I've been listening to Frank and Mike on the pod cast and they have been raving about the .224, Frank ordered a JP himself and has a bolt gun in the same caliber coming as well. Do you have other information that would exclude it from the OP's list? For a guy who is shooting paper and steel I cant see a reason that the .224 wouldn't work. Light, Fast, Easy to shoot. Whats not to like?

Just wondering, for knowledge.

I built up a .308 using a matched reciever set, criterion 20in barrel, and bcg from Fulton Armory. Actually, most everything except the PRS stock, RRA 2 stage trigger, and Primary 4-14×44 came from Fulton. All in scope included was about $1600. It will consistently put 5 shots inside an inch at 100 with Ga Arms 168gr match.... when I'm not mucking it up. I may have just gotten lucky, but I've been damned impressed with the thing.