• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes looking for scope input

muscles

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2005
ut
hi...new guy here. i just picked up a savage 338 lapua and am needing some scope advice.

i have only shot my 30.06 out to about 600 yards, so i don't have long range experience. there is a local outdoor range on public property with a steel gong every 100 yards out to 1300. id like to try to get there with the 338 lapua.

i currently handload for 45 acp, and plan on buying the gear for 338 lapua over the next couple of weeks.

now, on to the optics question...i anticipate using this rifle primarily for long range target shooting. I may also take it on the elk hunt next year. i live in a rural area and don't have the luxury of a nearby shop (within 3 hrs) to look at scopes. i have read up a bit on FFP and SFP differences but am still struggling without looking through both side by side. there is a vortex dealer about 30 minutes away that has a viper PST FFP in stock. i plan on taking a look at it. i have about $1000 to spend. any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

here is a pic of my new rifle:
photo.jpg

Re: looking for scope input

If you had a few hundred more I would say the Bushnell HDMR. It is a beast. You might be able to find some used ones here on the hide in your price range.

Lots of people on here like the Vortex so I don't think you can go wrong with one. I would say got FFP if you are going to be engaging multiple targets at multiple distances or shooting movers. If you are not going to shoot movers or only ever engage one target then SFP is just fine.

As far as seeing them in person that is, to me, not a big issue. I never seen or looked through any of the scopes I have bought before I mounted them on my rifle; NF & S&B. I am pleased as punch with both purchases. For me until it is mounted on my rifle I can't really tell how I will like it, but I am an odd duck so...

thanks...i could go up a few hundred if i needed to. i'll take a look at that bushnell HDMR online.

i appreciate the info.

If you could with a little more $ get the NF or USO.Maybe a used one here in the for sale section might work for you.

I really like the vortex PST I have, but it is the most expensive scope i have ever had. I haven't looked though a NF or US optics. I have 200 rounds on it thought my 7 STW and havn't had a problem yet. Also used it out to 600 and it looked good.

For the ranges your looking at I'd go HDMR as a min. Glass quality is going to make a huge difference past 1k. Mirage, and image quality past 1k is huge when conditions aren't ideal. I was in the same boat as you about two months ago. I ordered a USO ST-10 for my rig but I'm going to be taking very few shots past 1100.

It all depends on what you're going to do with it but the HDMR that RWS has for 1299 is about the best optic you can get for that price. But if I was you and plan on using that thing to its potential 1800yards + I would save up and spend my money on USO. I would say NF but the fact they don't have many scopes in FFP baffles me.

Good luck,
Merritt

Don't forget to strongly consider the Nightforce NXS line if you are willing to spend a few hundred more. It is about the same price as the HDMR and hands down a better build. I have a Bushnell elite 6500 that has been replaced 2 times and I also have a Nightforce NXS that has never had a problem of any kind (Don't even get me started with Bushnell's shitty customer service and worthless warranty) The NF's clarity at long range is leaps and bounds ahead of the Bushnell. My Nightforce is on a Savage 110BA 338LM and works very well at 1000 yards. Soon I will be making more targets to extend the range to 1800 yards. My advice is to take a look at some of the Nightforce offerings, there's a reason they have such a good reputation.

thx again. today i went to the range and put 5 rounds through it just to see how it felt. not bad...i expected worse recoil.

i gotta figure out which scope to get. i looked into night force. trying to find something closer to $1000. is the night force bench rest model good like the nxs line? the nf bench rest is $1300 as opposed to the nxs being $1600+. i also looked at the bushnell hdmr. the experience spelunk had has me scared to mess with bushnell (realize it was the 6500, not the hdmr). I'm also still curious about the vortex pst ffp, and others out there like nikon, sightron, etc.

keep the recommendations coming...thx!

You should go down and look through the vortex PST if you can. The glass wont be quite as clear as a Vortex razor or a NF but it might suit your needs perfectly. As for the bench rest NF, it will has the same quality glass as the NXS but you wont have as much elevation and windage adjustment.

The vortex pst is another good scope. I have heard many good things and own a couple vipers myself. Mine aren't the pst, but they are well built and are loaded with features. I think the pst would be very hard to beat when looking at a given price point. Plus vortex's warranty gives me great peace of mind. I have heard some good things on the Sightron SIII line, but have never personally used one so I can't comment, but it could be something to check if you get a chance. The benchrest models from NF still have great glass, but they do lose some adjustment, and they have covered turrets and the parallax is on the objective bell instead of on the left side of the scope. Other differences are 1/8 MOA clicks instead of 1/4 on the NXS and the illuminated reticle on the benchrest has a dedicated nob instead of pulling out on the parallax nob like on the NXS. It depends on your used of the scope, for dialing in and out on those long range shots, the NXS works better.