• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Looking for some help...shorter stock, upper, etc.

Mead

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Wyoming
I'm in the process of building my girlfriend an AR15, that needs to be as light as possible and also shoot well to 500yds. I'm starting with a Colt AR15 A2. This has presented some problems that I didn't really think about. First of all the I have a standard A2 upper receiver which I would like to exchange for an A4 model. From what I understand, from much reading, is that the Upper isn't really a critical part in terms of accuracy. I'm not looking to break the bank on the upper, but want a quality part. Suggestions appreciated.

Second, because a scope will be going on the rifle, I was going to get a magpul PRS to make cheek weld a little bit easier to adjust. However the standard 10.5" stock is too long for her, and the PRS is the same length. Are there any stocks out there with adjustable cheek pieces with a shorter LOP that don't interfere with the charging handle?

Finally, I'm looking to replace the standard handguard. I don't need something loaded with rails, as likely the only thing going on the rifle will be a bipod or AFG. Weight is key here, as it will be carried for long periods of time, and free floating is also important, as the rifle will need to shoot well to 500yards.

I think I will hold onto the barrel unless it proves to be unable to hold accuracy to 500yds. In that case, I will replace it with a WOA 18" barrel. Finally, I plan on replacing the trigger with a Geiselle (not sure on model yet).

I really have looked into this and would just like some opinions from you all. I am new to ARs, but after taking mine completely apart it's hard not to appreciate the design and simplicity of the system.

Thanks

Re: Looking for some help...shorter stock, upper, etc.

Almost forgot...I was looking at the Magpul MOE or CTR with snap on cheek pieces. To they interfere with the charging handle if the stock is extended?

So you are looking for something that looks like this but with a 18 inch barrel. I shoot mine out to 4-500 yards havent tried hitting something at 600 yet. If you use medium rings or a AR one piece base there will be no need for a cheek piece. Hope the pic helps.
DSC02043.jpg

Awesome I was starting to wonder about the need for a cheekpiece. What does your rig weigh in at?

One thing to remember is that generally speaking, women have longer necks than men do. It can make it tough for them to get their face down to the stock and get a solid cheek weld. I am running into this same issue right now trying to set up an AR and a bolt rifle for my wife.