• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Looking to buy a new 308 suppressor, suggestions?

sf88

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2011
Virginia
Looking for something QD, durability followed by repeatability and tone are my primary concerns. I'll be throwing this on a 24" schneider barrel USMC contour. I have one of the older AAC's that is *ok* but I've been hoping for something without as much shift, not sure if the new AAC's have improved upon that or not. Surefire seems to be good but I'm not so thrilled about spending 1800 on a 308 can if somebody else makes a better alternative. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Re: Looking to buy a new 308 suppressor, suggestions?

I would recommend the SAS QD or TOMB Ti models. Simple muzzle brake installation with either model between 12.4 - 13.5oz range, cost effective starting at $825.00 and each muzzle brake runs $125.00 each. We offer barrel threading, muzzle brake installation, suppressor proofing with documented POI shift which is normally less than 1moa average, in stock and available now. I am back and forth from VA, pm me and if you desire we can meet so you can check them both out and go to the range for a quick demo.

The newer 51-tooth AAC 762-SD suppressors are a big improvement over the older 18-tooth designs. All the ones I've shot stayed locked up tighter than the older 18-tooth models. The newer ones also have less POI shift.

The Ops Inc 12th Model is not "QD" but is very durable, tone is (IMHO) second to none and POI shift is minimal.

As you mentioned the SureFire products will typically have minimal POI shift and are very well built. The Ops products perform very similarly (and if you knew the history between the two companies that might not surprise you; the SF design borrows heavily from the Ops design). The Ops products are significantly cheaper than the SF products. And with SF just receiving a military contract for a large qty of products, I wonder what that might do to availability. Perhaps some of our resident and very helpful SF reps could chime in on that.

If this is going on a bolt-action and you are concerned with best possible accuracy, I'd recommend using a thread-mount product or the Ops, which is something of a hybrid - not really QD and not a straight muzzle thread product either.

If you do open your search to thread-mount products, there are a lot of other good quality products out there from which to choose.

Mark

FA are highly overrated. Go with a thread on. Ops Inc, Shark, AAC Cyclone and 30P-1s have been really good proven suppressors.

OPS Inc 12th model is second to none. It prduces a great reliability and a "QD" really isn't necessary once you've fired some rounds through the barrel. Any can will get too hot to handle without protection, so you might as well go with the most accurate while the can is on. OPS Inc. makes a special forces grade silencer for a very reasonable price and you don't have to purchase the brake and assembly separatly. Just my opinion, but do your research and whatever you choose will make shooting better. I hope this helps

I have no problems with my YHM titanium Phantom QD. POI shift (on a hot barrel) is like 1" left and repeatable at 100 yds. This on a BM BAR10. Far as I know the cheapest Ti QD can out there and has lifetime warranty rated for (limited I'm sure) full auto fire down to a 10.5" bbl.

We've got a Group buy in the group buy forum. Our price to value ration there is pretty hard to beat.

The SAS TI suppressor the poster above mentions sounds like a potentially good price/value option, as of course also would a Thunderbeast 30P1. The 30P1 has a reputation for minimal shift, excellent sound reduction, and light 16 ounce weight.

I don't know what the sound performance of the SAS product is like, but the weight is certainly light, and the ~1MOA shift isn't bad.

Look at the TBAC 30P-1 from Thunderbeast Arms (a Hide supporter). I've got one on my 20in .308 LWRC and it shoots light out. In fact the gun only gets shot with the can on. Very little POI shift at all. Can is all titanium. $1050. Just search the hide and look at the comparisons between this model, the gemtech, AAC, surefire etc.

If your not convinced, go check out Zak Smith's site at www.demigodllc.com. He builds them, shoots them in competitions and wins with them. He might have some of the most valuable shooting info on the Hide other than Lowlight. His customer service and advice are second to none.

I'd take Stacey up on his offer- hands on experience is good.

For the money an SAS is hard to beat. They offer a break that is screw on with a thread protector as well as a QD. In my experience repeatability is great. Great value and the money you save can always go towards glass or ammo. Good luck

Thunderbeast 30p-1
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CB3m1ynaHO0&feature=youtube_gdata_player "></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CB3m1ynaHO0&feature=youtube_gdata_player " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stacey @ MHSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would recommend the SAS QD or TOMB Ti models. Simple muzzle brake installation with either model between 12.4 - 13.5oz range, cost effective starting at $825.00 and each muzzle brake runs $125.00 each. We offer barrel threading, muzzle brake installation, suppressor proofing with documented POI shift which is normally less than 1moa average, in stock and available now. I am back and forth from VA, pm me and if you desire we can meet so you can check them both out and go to the range for a quick demo. </div></div>

Thanks for the offer, I will definitely be taking you up on that! A lot of great new information from this thread, glad to see there are some more options out there beyond the SF and AAC (not that these are bad, just that variety is good!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T.C.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for Thunderbeast 30p-1 </div></div>
+2
smile.gif
new favorite toy.

I'll throw another +1 on the 30P-1, plus Ray is a great guy to deal with!

Just let me know when you would like to get together and see the 2 different .30cal models side by side. Just shoot me a PM and we can schedule a day to visit.

I like my YHM Phantom 762 SS. Yes, it's heavy. But I whore it out to a many different hosts, including a .300WM, and it's served me very well.

I just picked up mine from Innovative Arms and like it. They supply secruity forces at several nuclear plants. I saw them on .308's and AR-15's during a tour of a nuclear plant. I think they supplied over 160 of them. If it's good enough for nukes....Price is also resonable.

Let me know if your ever in NoVA, I'm a member of a 100 yd outdoor range. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stacey @ MHSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just let me know when you would like to get together and see the 2 different .30cal models side by side. Just shoot me a PM and we can schedule a day to visit. </div></div>

Does anyone have experience with the Smith Enterprises/Fisher Direct Connect suppressor? They are interchangable quick detach on anything that has a Smith Vortex flash hider. I like that but I read bad things about POI shift.