• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

M118 LR on gunbroker

Wild_Man

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2009
Mississippi
I see lots of M118 lr for sale on gunbroker in the brown government boxes with the lot numbers cut off. What's going on with this; is it ammo that "walked off" a base somewhere or what.

Also see some marked as "PD" and some sold as "not PD". Is the PD is some form of rejects, floor sweepings or whatever?

Re: M118 LR on gunbroker

PD is the same materials as M118LR, but not the best materials. It is okay stuff, but not great. M118LR should be in the brown boxes, but with actual ot numbers on them.

I've seen a lot of numbers ripped off boxes too, is this because it was taken unknowingly? I had a friend get in trouble for "borrowing" some .50 from the Base Armory here in Jacksonville.

and why worry about using this ammo with so many great civilian choices not to mention reloading?

I baught some of this last year with lot numbers on them. My guess is they are ripped off because it is stolen, however if you can get it, use it. It is great ammo IMO. Just don't get caught with it.

It certainly is difficult to think of any legitimate reason to remove lot numbers.

there are lots of this stuff around as I see it at gunshows all the time. To be honest it isn't the best stuff out there. If I can get it for a good price I buy it but if they are asking for a premium just because it is military I pass on it.

I concur with JSTARSZ. M118LR is good ammo, but there is better ammo on the commercial market. For some reason folks think that if it's military, it must be the best, which is far from the truth. The US government buys stuff from the lowest bidder. I was issues a GPS (we call the pugger) when I arrived in Iraq. It was as big as a freaking Houston phone book and I never could get the damn thing to work correctly. It probably cost the governmet $5000. I used my Garmin Rhino GPS and it worked beautfuly and came with a bult in walkie talkie that my team used all the time. If you can get the M118LR for a good price, then use it. If you can get commercial match ammo for the same price, I would go with that.

A reason to use it might be that you want to use Lake City brass and it will be fire-formed to your chamber if you take the first shot rather than buying LC brass on the open market.

Another reason to buy it is that you can get rid of the brass for good money. Once fired LC brass goes for a lot more than once fired Federal, so if you get a good deal on the cartridge, it can be pretty economical to shoot.

Obviously, nothing is going to be as good as handloads, but M118 LR can shoot well in a lot of guns.

It's actually not that cheap! I just got a price list from the Army (I work for a .gov), since I'll be buying a bunch of ammo. The .223 was about $0.33/round-- not too bad. The .50 BMG was about $2.38/round-- again, actually pretty good.

The M118LR was $1.01/round! I was shocked! I thought for sure the price would be lower, but hey, you take what you can get.

BTW, the Army cannot supply us with ANY 9mm, or .45, for an undetermined time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CavSoldier3ACR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I concur with JSTARSZ. M118LR is good ammo, but there is better ammo on the commercial market. For some reason folks think that if it's military, it must be the best, which is far from the truth. The US government buys stuff from the lowest bidder. I was issues a GPS (we call the pugger) when I arrived in Iraq. It was as big as a freaking Houston phone book and I never could get the damn thing to work correctly. It probably cost the governmet $5000. I used my Garmin Rhino GPS and it worked beautfuly and came with a bult in walkie talkie that my team used all the time. If you can get the M118LR for a good price, then use it. If you can get commercial match ammo for the same price, I would go with that. </div></div>
+1 Now here is someone who understands what "government efficiency" actually means.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: insectguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
BTW, the Army cannot supply us with ANY 9mm, or .45, for an undetermined time. </div></div>

I was at the store today and they were still grievously short of .380 ammo and wanted $35 a box for 40SW.