• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40 - What Marine is in this photo?

Great story! He definitely was not in my STA Unit and with 1Bn 8th Marines. We were the Scout/Snipers there at the time of the bombing.
Do you know his MOS?

Reactions: Deathrowdave
I went through SF Scuba school with him in the summer of '83. I've asked in several venues, but never found out where he went or what he did. He was a Lance Corporal(?) the summer of '83 and I'm not sure, but I believe he was promoted to Cpl upon graduation from that school. The guy was an absolute stud and we were always competitive. He was 220-240 lbs and ran 40's in PT as fast as me. That was always sub 5 sec. even after the two mile run. I started at 165 and went down to 156 during that school. Agaon, the guy was a total stud. Because of his size (and accent-I was a "fwockka") we always gave him the "I will hug him and squeeze him, and call him George" routine. One of the junior guys to me went through Ranger school with him. I was still a cocky li'l 'fwockka". But, he said it with a smile... I heard. By the timeframe of that, I'm pretty sure he was not killed in Beirut. I do believe I heard he was in on the Grenada invasion. That is not a clear memory though.

U still a fwockka... !!!
🤗😉😁🤣🤣

The pictures from Camp Gieger brought back memory's ,0331 with an M-60 C Co. 1 bn.2nd Mar 2 Mar.Div.-1972-76,great to see Saigon Sam's is still there,Heaven IS eternal!

Reactions: Milf Dots
Damn how did I miss this... welcome Rock 2-5. Thank you for your service sir.

Reactions: Rock two-five
Was watching this thread as It was happening, and couldn't find it again, thanks for bumping it. And yes, this is probably the best thread I've seen on the hide.

I walked my shit from ITS to 3/8 in 1986.

In 1986 everything in 8th Marines was either pre or post Beirut.

Newbs like myself were always reminded we didnt go to Beirut.

Passed through LeJeune last week heading to Hilton Head....

View attachment 7359793

Lots changed there. Cant see the old 8th Marines barracks (now SOI) from 17 like you used to be able to. Trees are all grown up, and when I was there in about 2003 or so they had built a big earth berm to cover the buildings from the highway.

No more little guard post "back gate" with a Marine wearing Deuce Gear and packing 5 rounds to let Marines pass across 17 to get to.....

View attachment 7359795

Think this is still the same cinder block building friends and I without cars would frequent....

View attachment 7359796

Wasnt a titty bar back than......just a juke box, pool table and Bud long necks.....

Man these pics bring back some memories. Thanks for sharing these.

Reactions: pmclaine
hahaha. That is an Epic first post. I only knew the shooter in the photo as Rock Two Five. Been fallowing you on IG for a while now. Waiting for that 460 to get broke loose. 😎

welcome aboard.
Thanks! Yeah that 460 is taking forever but I will get it fired up by the end of Summer.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
... Thank us by living as Free Men and don't let anyone or any group take Freedom from you as they are trying to now. That's all the thanks I could ever ask for.

Blows my mind how fast people forget the lives laid down willingly for a better life, not for themselves, but for their children. With 3 boys our daily prayers include thanking our soldiers past and present.

hahaha. That is an Epic first post. I only knew the shooter in the photo as Rock Two Five. Been fallowing you on IG for a while now. Waiting for that 460 to get broke loose. 😎

welcome aboard.

This.
Now following.

Regards
DT

Blows my mind how fast people forget the lives laid down willingly for a better life, not for themselves, but for their children. With 3 boys our daily prayers include thanking our soldiers past and present.

This.
Now following.

Regards
DT
Same here. Im a Dad and we say the same Prayer.

Yes, that's me but no the old Bush cover and all my Cammies were reduced to shreds as the years had gone by.
The one I'm wearing in my Avi is a "Crye precision" boonie.

I was going to say "If that old hat could talk it needs its own subforum"

When I showed up at 3/8 a few guys were still wearing ERDL utilities.

As a boot I looked with envy at their salty shit compared to my new NYCO woodlands.

That was a great camo pattern but those rip stops just didnt last physically or they faded to a bright non camo shade.

As a boot I looked with envy at their salty shit compared to my new NYCO woodlands.

That was a great camo pattern but those rip stops just didnt last physically or they faded to a bright non camo shade.
Lol, yeah I liked those old Cammies we wore. We called them Poplin's I believe?
SF
Rock

Reactions: pmclaine
Things like this thread are one of the only good uses of the net IMHO...love seeing people come together over common pasts/interests. Plus it’s just plain cool to read through threads like this!
Thanks for the backstory Rock!

Lol, no, just a Ford ,big block 460 for my 1 ton
A SAW would be nice too 😆

Attachments

• 1560655675721_F350_058.JPG
    1560655675721_F350_058.JPG
    898.2 KB · Views: 198
That’s good to know. I was gonna pop off and say a 460 saw ain’t worth your time. At least get a 365 or the next bigger XP, the 372XP. Better yet, there’s an 880 Magnum with my name on it!😁😜
I’ve climbed behind a 460 WBY and it’s not something I’ll pursue long term!
460 moterciccle might be a lot of fun.
My 1-ton has a Cummins 5.9L Turbocharged. After going diesel I don’t want to go back. 375K miles and it still pulls a 16K lb. trailer around.

Attachments

• 3AF1D6B6-B580-4287-B7E4-B12851C1B17C.jpeg
    3AF1D6B6-B580-4287-B7E4-B12851C1B17C.jpeg
    623.3 KB · Views: 110
That’s good to know. I was gonna pop off and say a 460 saw ain’t worth your time. At least get a 365 or the next bigger XP, the 372XP. Better yet, there’s an 880 Magnum with my name on it!😁😜
I’ve climbed behind a 460 WBY and it’s not something I’ll pursue long term!
460 moterciccle might be a lot of fun.
My 1-ton has a Cummins 5.9L Turbocharged. After going diesel I don’t want to go back. 375K miles and it still pulls a 16K lb. trailer around.

372XPW! Dont get me started on fucken saws! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣🤣🤣🤣

372XPW! Dont get me started on fucken saws! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣🤣🤣🤣
We're gonna have to start a vintage saw thread. Biggest tree I ever dumped was with a Stihl 064. 7 ft. on the stump, cottonwood. Biiggest tree I ever dumped logging was a ponderosa at just over 6 ft. with a Husky 2198 with a 5 ft. bar. Best two saws I ever ran in regular wood was a Stihl 044 and a Husky 272. Both rocked on anything up to 24" and had no issues doubling through up to 36". There weren't enough 4' ers around to make life difficult.

Anyhow, a SAW isn't on my list. That POS can go to anyone else that might want one. I'd take a 60 cuz I know how to run one. I have no idea on what the quirks are for a 240.;)

That Jred is a Husky 372... but with the red dress and bit sexier..IMO...LOL

The Husky 272... I have a sweet spot for those! I had 2 of them, they were like my little pets! Probably one of the greatest all time saws.
Limbin' buckin' animals

Added: I loved Stihls, but you always had to spend extra to winter-kit 'em. They ran just as good as Husky's/Johnny's in the cold when you did. It's always amazed me how Stihl could miss that...

I forgot to mention if you have a 460 in a vehicle, it might as well be as big as your truck as you are gonna need that big of a wallet to pay for the gas? 😁 😜
A SAW would be nice too
1594734033860.png

Last edited:
What heads you running on it? Specs/dyno #'s? Tryin to talk pap into a racecar.. grew up at the drag strip and mx track.. Hoping the neighbor's ride will help make up his mind..

Attachments

• IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: wildcats
Got a 7-1/8 light green erdl stashed... new old stock.
What size u wear....

Should you have a medium reg or medium short top...........

ERDL is a cool camo.

The evolution of US camo is pretty cool and if people knew they would be calling for us to get rid of some of them.

Last edited:
H
Should you have a medium reg, medium short top...........

ERDL is a cool camo.

The evolution of US camo is pretty cool and if people knew they would be calling for us to get rid of some of them.

Have to dig n look. Possible.

Have to dig n look. Possible.

Been looking for a poplin top in a half assed manner on EBay.

Put a few bids in just haven't landed one yet.

Dont go out of your way and consider the grandkids that it would be more important for them to play in your memory bag and realize how cool grand dad is than to have me using it as a shooting coat.

Actually started looking for a WWII summer service cotton khaki shirt

Tropical style, looking to channel Gunny Elmo Haney when I head to the beach or work in the yard...

1594762534890.png

Kind of like old school US Navy blue cotton chambray shirts.

Those Summer khakis look like they were a sensible duty uniform - sharp when pressed yet easy enough to maintain if worked in.

Should you have a medium reg, medium short top...........

ERDL is a cool camo.

Medium short (left) and large regular (right) pants. Square pockets, last runs.
Either to you PMc... or Rock.
PM mailing address.

20200714_163422.jpg

If you are thanking me for the information, glad Im able to shed some light on things for you guys.
If you're thanking me for what our Teams did over there, I will say this... Thank us by living as Free Men and don't let anyone or any group take Freedom from you as they are trying to now. That's all the thanks I could ever ask for.
Trust me, I enjoyed taking out every enemy target that I wasted over there. No one should have to thank a man for living his Craft.

Thank you for your service. Men like you paved the way for young boys to grow up free and become men like me. Thank you for standing the guard until I was able to.

May you sleep well every night knowing I will never give up the freedoms you fought for. That’s my promise to you and all the Marines that came before my time.

Semper Fi, Never Die.

@pmclaine

Grandchildren do not give a ....... would trash it.

Pre-rip stop green. 7-1/8
You or Rock.

20200714_165335.jpg

Erdl is stashed elsewhere, not pic friendly.

Reactions: sandwarrior

That's what we wore when I first got to the Ranger BN in late '81. They came in a mix of slanted and straight pockets. Those got taken away from us late summer of '82, and I wore standard OD Green Jungle fatigues for the rest of my stay there.

Reactions: j-huskey