• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40a1 build guide

Re: M40a1 build guide

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eodcam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Couple of returns in here, the woodland is gorgeous and it was hidden under paint. Can't wait to check out the Smear!
P1000577.jpg
</div></div>
What scopes are you using there? They look a bit like Weavers.

The M40's have redfield accu-ranges, one of them is a rare satin model. The A1 has a weaver t-10 on it and in the case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eodcam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Couple of returns in here, the woodland is gorgeous and it was hidden under paint. Can't wait to check out the Smear!
P1000577.jpg
</div></div>

You sick bastard! NICE collection I don't think would fit this,so far beyond that

Dear edo,
For Christmas I want just one m40. I promise I'll be good!!!

great looking 6 digs Eodcam!
I love old ADL rifles! Best beat-around hunting guns!

I heard a while back from Mike Miller of Tactical Intervention that there was rare field usage of mk4 m1 scopes on some, (maybe just one or two) M40a1s. He didn't specify on the number, the time frame, or what mount was used in the rummored rare instances but I find it interesting for those who feel ashamed of a Leupy on an otherwise spec build. Well, a build is still way better with the Unertl or MST because even if Mike is correct, the m40a1/mk4 thing probably was a rare anomoly. There are probably more instances of mk4m1s used on M40a3s and I have photo evidence of one example of this, somewhere floating around on my computer.

I finally had a chance to sight in my six-digit M40a1 rifle this last friday. I took it out to 1000 yards and was pleasantly surprised how well the MST-100's BDC turret lined up perfectly with the Black Hills 175gr. It was like a Ronco infomercial ad, "set it and forget it".

Here's just a few pics from a co-worker's camera. If I can download pics from my old camera, I'll have more detailed pics later.

M40a1-1.jpg

M40a1-3.jpg

M40a1-5.jpg

Konabully great looking rifle. Thanks for sharing the pics. I just had my M40a1 barreled action done. Now I need to get home from deployment so I can finish it. I know that top rifle belongs to McMillan. It was given to Gale McMillan from the USMC for his efforts in helping them with the stock for the M40a1. I love that paint job and would love to duplicate it on my rifle. Also dont know if anyone noticed this but the scope for that rifle belongs to the .50 cal not the a1. Anyway you can get more detailed pics from that rifle? That would be great.

Konabully once again thanks for sharing.

USMC Grunt, thanks. You are correct, the top rifle has a MST-150 (.50 cal) that was used for testing with the USMC. There is no serial number on it as well. It came with the rifle but was in bad shape internally. Someone had taken it apart and reinstalled its internals backwards. John at US Optics was kind enough and offered to refurbish it for free.

I may have a few more pics of Gale's M40a1 around. I'll see what I can drum up for you.

USMC Grunt,

Here's the pics of the real M40a1. It is a six digit rifle with a "smear" stock. The last Weapon Data Book on it was started in 1980 and it's last rebuild was in Aug of 1992. The last entry in the book was in 2000, right about when these were being phased out. The well worn bolt handle felt like a Hurst 4-speed shifter (no guide rails in the early actions).

P4150573.jpg

P4150571.jpg

PA010300.jpg

PA010301.jpg

PA010307.jpg

PA010302.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's up with the hole in the receiver ? </div></div>
It's been demilled

Shame they fucked up that piece of history. It's just an effin bolt .308...

That 40 build is hott sexx, Kona!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kft101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Seth8541 said:
I have a non-milled M40A1 Bottom Metal, I was wondering what on the BM needs to be milled for fittment in a M40A1 return stock? If you have pics or examples please post. Thanks </div></div>

Short answer: the rear part of the floor plate and the front part of the trigger guard. Here goes a pic showing exactly what.

Top is a set of original bottom metal from a return stock modified to fit the short action inlet, bottom is a fresh set of unmodified Williams 2-piece bottom metal (same as the Win 70).

w45y8.jpg
[/quote

Is there a long answer? I just bought a unmodified Winchester 2 piece bottom metal and would like to know exactly what I need to motify to put it on my HTG stock. It looked easy when I ordered it but now I am having second thoughts. Is there a template or anything available to help me so I don't mess it up? Would I be better off sending it to a gunsmith and just paying them to do it? Any input on the bottom metal would be appreciated.

The Winchester trigger opening looks a lot larger than the Williams unit. Does the Williams need the trigger opening enlarged to fit the M700 bolt release? I understand for the m40a1, the bolt release needs a lot of trimming to fit the Winchester trig guard, but it looks as though no part of the bolt release will fit that Williams!

Long answer?

The original trigger guard front needs to be cut back far enough to clear the magazine. It cannot interfere with it or touch it at all. This will leave <span style="font-style: italic">just</span> enough room to drill and countersink for a #6 front trigger guard screw.

The action bolt countersinks in both the TG and FP need to be milled flat and perfectly perpendicular to the axis of the bolts so the bolt heads bear evenly.

Yes, the trigger hole is opened up to make room for the bolt release, which is likewise thinned to "fit", as well as the front corner of the trigger housing being machined to clear. The parts can sometimes be fit without having to thin the bolt release or machine the trigger housing, which is how my 1990 build came together just fine as the only mod I knew about at the time was to the TG. Be aware that there needs to be clearance between the parts- no touching.

Thanks it sounds like I am going to send mine off to a gunsmith as its a little more than my hacksaw, file and powerdrill seem up too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Driftwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks it sounds like I am going to send mine off to a gunsmith as its a little more than my hacksaw, file and powerdrill seem up too. </div></div>

You're going to have to send the stock, and maybe the action too, along with the bottom metal to get fitted. Between the slight variances in dimensions of the inlet, action screw holes, and final position of the bottom metal once bedded, it's not a generic cookie-cutter modification to the length of the floor plate. Cut it too long and it will have to be done again. Too short and you've got a gap between the end of the floor plate and front of the trigger guard at best, and an unusable floor plate at worst.

There are some good smiths that are knowledgeable in how to properly mod the bottom metal per M40A1 specs on this forum. I'd recommend having one of them do the work if your smith doesn't know the details of how to perform the spec mods.

Thanks for the replies. I have always wanted to get more into gunsmithing and on the surface this looked like an easy project, obviously, not. I guess I will have to continue to enjoy the shooting side of the business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swampy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know who makes a good reproduction or copy of the M40A1's scope mount and rings? </div></div>

U.S.Optics, but not on an ongoing basis. Contact them right away to see if they have any in progress available now or soon.

Did Redfield make scope mounts and rings for the M40A1 and if so what were the model numbers. I found a guy with some old rings but I don't know the numbers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tinbendur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did Redfield make scope mounts and rings for the M40A1 and if so what were the model numbers. I found a guy with some old rings but I don't know the numbers. </div></div>

No, Redfield never made bases or rings <span style="text-decoration: underline">for</span> the M40A1 that I know of. The Marine Corps simply used stock Redfield parts.

The bases were one-piece, Junior 40X SA (short-action), and the rings were medium-height 1" split JR/SR, having upper halves attached via single bolts on each side accessible from underneath. The front ring was dovetailed, and the rear ring was held to the base by windage screws. It wasn't long before the Corps began tack welding the rings to the bases in an attempt to unitize the mount. Unertl unitized mounts made the scene around 1980-1981, and by 1983 to 1984 all the M40A1s were fitted with them.

I have a small reason to celebrate today.
Found this M40 style rifle being sold on Gunbroker.
I made contact with the shop and put the rifle on layaway.
I got it without the scope since I already have one.
I'm new to the precision rifle world and this will be my starter rifle.
As soon as I get it, I plan to get it duracoated.
It's a Remington 700 S/A .308 with a M24/40 contour heavy barrel and a McMillan stock. It was built by a Mr. Henderson who supposedly did a lot of work for Houston SWAT. Waddya think?

pix904175605.jpg

pix950875044.jpg

hope you got a steal on it, cuz there are 10 diferent smiths on here who coulda built you the same thing and you would know the quality of the work

It was a steal.

And being that it's my starter rifle, any and all lessons learned will start with this first stick.

I'm looking forward to getting it.

Honestly not meaning to piss in your Cheerios just saying I wouldn't buy a gun built by someone I didn't know. If it was a steal then happy shooting and hope its a laser for ya

LOL,

No worries friend,

I'm a little apprehensive too about buying a rifle from an unknown maker, so I'm with ya on that.

I've been browsing this site for awhile now and just cant help drooling over the coolest looking rifles you guys own.
I had been eyeballing that new rifle being sold by Mike Hull in the forums right now, and I sincerely wished I could afford some of the beautiful rifles that a lot of these top-notch makers keep putting out.

Sadly, the cost is gonna keep me from buying a rifle like that for some time yet.

This rifle while it's been made by someone I've never heard of either, looks pretty good, and I'm hoping, will be just what the doctor ordered to ease this sniper rifle itch I've developed, at least for now anyway.

A couple of encouraging things are that the barrel is an M24/40 contour by Hart barrels, the action is a Remington 700, and it seems to have a custom trigger on it vs. a factory trigger. And the stock is a McMillan so at least the parts are good. :p

I'll find out how really good she is though when I hit the range.

A few more pics to share. I have more, but I dont want to hog space here. Just wanna share my new joy. The stock is in great shape and is pillar-bedded. I wish it was in the spec USMC camo, but thats gonna have to be either shipped off to get painted or if someone wants to swap stocks. Anyway, here's some more pics.

pix593979825.jpg

pix480558010.jpg

pix471873122.jpg

pix109782618.jpg

I know I can kyrylon this rifle whatever color I want, but do you guys know where I can get the stock re-done so that it has the forest camo scheme, or maybe a desert scheme ?

The proof is in the pudding, unless you are a fanboy of ***
If it functions and shoots, it functions and shoots. Not much else a rifle needs to do. If it does not function and shoot, who's name is on the barrel does not matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firemanjim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I know I can kyrylon this rifle whatever color I want, but do you guys know where I can get the stock re-done so that it has the forest camo scheme, or maybe a desert scheme ? </div></div>

Nice rifle and all, but might I suggest moving this over to a new or separate thread? It really doesn't fall within the purview or purpose of this thread.

I guess I could.
Figured this was the thread to go to considering it's an M40A1 clone, even though I didnt scratch build it myself.

But ok.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firemanjim</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I guess I could.
Figured this was the thread to go to considering it's an M40A1 clone, even though I didnt scratch build it myself.

But ok. </div></div>

What he's saying man, is that it's not a m40a1 clone. It's a 700 in a mcmillan... It's kind of close, but no clone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firemanjim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
No problem.

I'm -a- scootin'. </div></div>

No one is trying to be rude or anything so don't take it the wrong way. They just want this thread to be for 100% clones as a reference guide.