• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40a1 build guide

Re: M40a1 build guide

Posted this question in the gunsmithing section as well: Anyone know what the specs for the M40A1 chamber should be. Spoke to the gunsmith I am going to use for my metal work (Bob Green here in York, PA) he mentioned there were options regarding the actual chambering. Have read some use an 852 reamer(?) and is based on Ferderal match 168gr. Would appreciate any input you all might have.

I believe they used to use an Elliot reamer, but later they used JGS. Definitely not a ultratight chamber.

Spoke to Dave at PTG and he is recommending the 308 Bisley Match, which is what I will be going with. Great guy!

I am fairly certain this is what they used
ofsi35.jpg

Turk ... yes, that looks about right from what I've been able to find as well. However, I don't want to be respected to just 7.62 NATO so am going with a chamber that will be accurate with my hand loads but also function well with hunting 308 if need be. Not an exact replica and am ok with that since I won't be picking up a MST-100 scope anytime soon anyway.

Rainier42, I am not saying use that reamer; eventhough I am certain It would fit your needs. I thought you were inquiring about specs. Your money brother; use it as you wish!

Depends on the year of your action. Early ones will be dual sear with flat blade safety, bolt lock and pressed trigger frame. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rainier42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which is the correct Remington trigger for a build? </div></div>

From John F. Lacy's book, The Remington 700:

Pg. 160 "1966 --- Marine Sniper Rifle"
While 1966 was a year of few changes there are several process changes worth noting. The magazine cut in the bridge was eliminated. The two piece sear was replaced by a one piece sintered metal sear. Specimen's have been observed that were assembled as late as April 1966 with a two piece sear and others as early as September 1966 with the one piece sear. It is possible that there is a short overlap during the phase out of the two piece sear.

2nbezqw.jpg

Making these. Look in the accessories for sale section if you need one.
I had to go to the machine shop today. There was an issue with the depth of the counterbore. We solved that and ran another part, we hand fitted it on an M40A1. Check out the pictures. I releaseed this edition to the machinest and they are good to started machining. The counter bore issue delayed the progress a bit, due to other jobs that are currently running. Again be patient. Historical accuracy, Quality and Cost are more important than delivery times in my opinion. So please move your ship date to approx the end of the month. Also, the machine shop showed me thier costs and they are making very little $$$. A couple hundred dollars at best. By the time you factor in shipping and fuel cost, there probably isnt any profit in this run of bases. The next one will surely be more expensive.

The owner of the shop is a combat wounded SEAL and a true hard charging American hero, he is good for his word. We have partnered up on some other projects that are going to go soon. I am sure the M40 people will appreciate.

Here are some pictures ... enjoy
9iek3k.jpg

33ol34x.jpg

20azcc6.jpg

10ofig7.jpg

6gyded.jpg

two man im interested in one, how much u asking for one.

Is the mount in the pictures one that you made?
You might want to post a link to your "For Sale" thread as they get burried really fast. I wasn't able to find it.

Anyone have a trick or special tool for tightening the hex screws on the scope rings once the base is mounted to the rifle? Have been finding it a pain to tighten these down.

10x look under options & accesories and u will fine it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rainier42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have a trick or special tool for tightening the hex screws on the scope rings once the base is mounted to the rifle? Have been finding it a pain to tighten these down. </div></div>

Either get a 'ball driver', the allen wrench with a ball on the end to get them snug. I wouldn't use it for excess tightening but they work good for something like these rings. Other option is grind down the short end of a regular allen wrench to make it easier to tighten etc especially.

Sure wished I had the funds or could justify one of these. Just too much coin for my welfare ass!!!

SD ... thanks, I will look into both. Only reason I am asking is that one of these bases/ring sets came with a recent purchase. Now I have no cash.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rainier42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have a trick or special tool for tightening the hex screws on the scope rings once the base is mounted to the rifle? Have been finding it a pain to tighten these down. </div></div>
29usgex.jpg

Here is the method I have started using. Hand tighten the screws using just the Ln bit between your thumb and finger. Once it is reasonably hand tight, put the bit into the 1/4" box end wrench and finish tightening. I put tape on the box end to hold the Ln bit and also keep from scratching the finsih on the receiver. Works pretty well. The ratcheting small box end seems to be to big and gets in the way, so I have gone to this. Also once you have gotten the ring screws reasonably tight, depending in your rifle vise you can invert the weapon and finsh torquing the ring scres down. Careful not to bump the scope and move it.

I'm looking for someone that could help me put a value on a returned stock. Not wanting to clog up this thread either so please just contact me. Thanks

Was the "clip slot" on the replacement recivers made to look the same as those on the recivers on the original M40's, or was they simplified in the design since they only was intended to be used as an extra mounting surface for the scope mount ?

Peter ... original M40A1s were just rebuilt M40s so those were the same. Clip slot on my M40 Remington commemorative looks the same as the clip slot on my GAP M40A1, so I would guess the clip slot remained the same between the two.

I was thinking about the recivers that was purchased in the later years to replace the lost and worn out ones. But since GAP does the same as on the original M40's I asume that there werent any other variations

I wanted one of these from GAP, but the wait time killed it for me.

One day hopefully I'll have something.

I wanted one of these from GAP, but the wait time killed it for me.

One day hopefully I'll have something.

Keep an eye in the FS section and post in the WTB section on what you are after ... that is how I found my GAP built 40A1. Requires some patience but am sure something will come up.

Is there a difference in length between a short and long action Win 70 floorplate once its shortened to fit the stock? Or is there any other differences (width etc...)? I have a short action bottom metal from a post-64 70.

Is there a difference in length between a short and long action Win 70 floorplate once its shortened to fit the stock? Or is there any other differences (width etc...)? I have a short action bottom metal from a post-64 70.

The locking "tab" on the rear where it narrows is sometimes too close to where it needs to be cut.

I was thinking about the recivers that was purchased in the later years to replace the lost and worn out ones. But since GAP does the same as on the original M40's I asume that there werent any other variations
Petter if u look on page 14 of the guide,, theres a different kind of clip/slot,,,, mind looks like the one on page 14 and it was done by gap,, the one on page 1 is the original m40 clip/slot.

Anybody know if the latest breed of M40A1 are clip-slotted? Do they really take the time to clip-slot the newest receivers?

I mean, M40A1s were still in use late 2000's. I guess some needs to be refurb at some point... If they use a G receiver for example? I dont think they have an infinite stash of clipped receivers...

Anybody know if the latest breed of M40A1 are clip-slotted? Do they really take the time to clip-slot the newest receivers?

I mean, M40A1s were still in use late 2000's. I guess some needs to be refurb at some point... If they use a G receiver for example? I dont think they have an infinite stash of clipped receivers...

"Latest", "newest"? I'm not familiar with the M40A5 to say what any new receivers are getting, but all M40A1s were clip slotted.

Incorrect....The M40A1 went out of service in the late 90's early 2000's....Upon transition to the A3, if Im not mistaken they went to a mix of DD/Badger rail system(s) and no longer used so called "clip slotted" receivers and went to a "lug slotted" receiver.

Ok I've been reading till my eyes hurt! I cant find the dates and specs of the optics used on the M40s

Can anyone school me real quick?

Ok I've been reading till my eyes hurt! I cant find the dates and specs of the optics used on the M40s

Can anyone school me real quick?

Have u look on the m40 build guide thread there lots of good information there. If not u can ask.

i delivered my action at GAP. last month for a m40a1 build. at the start of my 5 week holiday, 8500 miles later and home, intend on picking it up next year when i start my vacation again, 10-12 months time frame, i have a st-10 to mount until i can afford a mst-100 ?

Just got this stock last week, looking for a correct M70 bottom metal and other crucial parts (sling, manuals, etc.). Plan on a clone build using TwoMan's mounts and hopefully a MST-100 when funds allow

I have a question about the trigger. I went through 23 pages of the guide here and might of missed it. I know that the trigger has to be modified to fit the trigger guard. What are the measurements of the parts that is to be milled? I thought at one point I saw a picture of the trigger with the measurements that showed how much is cut. Now I cant find it.

Thanks for the help guys.

I have a question about the trigger. I went through 23 pages of the guide here and might of missed it. I know that the trigger has to be modified to fit the trigger guard. What are the measurements of the parts that is to be milled? I thought at one point I saw a picture of the trigger with the measurements that showed how much is cut. Now I cant find it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Theres a picture of a cut out trigger on pages 1 and 2 of this guide,, on the first page stroll down and read what george(a10xrifle) said about the trigger, he also gives the measurement dimension of what needs to be cut out, on page 2 is a good look of a cut trigger. good luck.

Just got this stock last week, looking for a correct M70 bottom metal and other crucial parts (sling, manuals, etc.). Plan on a clone build using TwoMan's mounts and hopefully a MST-100 when funds allow

maybe just the way the picture looks,, but that stock looks long.

Incorrect....The M40A1 went out of service in the late 90's early 2000's....Upon transition to the A3, if Im not mistaken they went to a mix of DD/Badger rail system(s) and no longer used so called "clip slotted" receivers and went to a "lug slotted" receiver.
Here's some clarification on the dates of service entry of the M40A3. The first unit deployed M40A3s were to my old platoon, STA 3/6 in Kandahar, Afghanistan, late December 2001 or just after New Years along with a delivery of M14 DMRs outfitted with a DNS, but I don't remember which one. Jack H. from the Quantico school house brought them to my guys like Santa, fresh delivery straight from the PWS shop to the battlefield.

Unfortunately I had picked up SSgt a few months earlier and was moved to CAAT to "diversify" my career, so I didn't get to partake in the goodness. I hate that fucking word.

The A3s had gone through a lot of R&D until that time, and I had shot a prototype version with a suppressor mounted while at Quantico for the SS Advanced Course in spring 2001. They were working on the finishing touches then, but they were still not ready for game time. We did receive G series receivers (or maybe it was C series, cant fully remember) in my platoon in 2001 to replace old rifles that hit the barrel service life, including having to give up my favorite rifle with a S/N 168xxx. Damn fine rifle it was, and the loosest action I ever saw but she was fast!

Definitely not textured, I have the cert. of authenticity as well. I've got to get some better pics for you guys.