• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mack Bro’s SS Evo

Can someone point me to specs for this thing? My assumption is the Ti specs, but heavier - I just cannot seem to find a page for it. What bottom metal are you all running (or would you run) with this?
Is basically the ti action without the extra milling yo reduce weight.

I called in and asked about them. They mentioned they were still aiming for June as of yesterday... With a long action to follow later.

The thought of having Chad offer a SS barreled action based on these actions makes me hard as a diamond.

The thought of having Chad offer a SS barreled action based on these actions makes me hard as a diamond.

That was the route I was hoping to take but since the long action is coming out later I have opted to do an Origin with an LRI shouldered prefit for 300 PRC.

I'm not the only one with a build waiting on this action....

But is there a way to know up front about the barrel facing issue with a remage setup? Like I'm new to rebarreling a bolt action but are some makers known to set the chamber deeper in relation to the threads, or is this something I could spec from a Remage barrel maker?

Any advise helpful here as I get the headspacing adjustment but if I end up not being able to use a prefit I may look at other actions.

Reactions: r2gallagher
Right? $600 for a quality action with a self-indexing lug is gonna be AWESOME for the market and consumers overall. Just think, with a little luck these will be rolling out in short and long action by year's end. All of those $900+ dollar actions with the same feature set will feel the pressure, I expect, when that happens.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
At the risk of bringing this back from the dead and hurting my chances to get one when they announce I'll share what I found out.

I got NSS and criterion to send a barrel over to Mack Bros and they test fit one. As predicted the remage standard setup fits fine and this one did in fact headspace BUT the "barrel extension" was touching the action internally. Obviously I'm bad at explaining something I can't see in person yet.

The solution to using a RemAge barrel with the EVO is to skim about .010" off the barrel to make a clearance area for the action. That would be the biggest part, not the recess, and just for the barrel to not bottom out on the action when it is headspaced.

Hopefully that made sense and I would like to share my experience to help get the info out there to help those guys out, and anyone looking to build a bUdget rifle like me.

NSS is now telling people this if you call to order a criterion, not sure if other mfg know already

At the risk of bringing this back from the dead and hurting my chances to get one when they announce I'll share what I found out.

I got NSS and criterion to send a barrel over to Mack Bros and they test fit one. As predicted the remage standard setup fits fine and this one did in fact headspace BUT the "barrel extension" was touching the action internally. Obviously I'm bad at explaining something I can't see in person yet.

The solution to using a RemAge barrel with the EVO is to skim about .010" off the barrel to make a clearance area for the action. That would be the biggest part, not the recess, and just for the barrel to not bottom out on the action when it is headspaced.

Hopefully that made sense and I would like to share my experience to help get the info out there to help those guys out, and anyone looking to build a bUdget rifle like me.

NSS is now telling people this if you call to order a criterion, not sure if other mfg know already
And that right there takes this action out of my consideration.

Real stupid if true.

If they made the accommodation to the action I see lots of people buying one to remage it and get into the off the shelf "custom" game for cheap. If they have to ship it or the barrel off to a smith or get it cut with a special accommodation like most other actions from the last century I dont see anyone buying one. Id rather just get a rem 700 for 60% of the cost.

Yes I do, the chamber end needs the very bottom skimmed off .010" ... I guess it's possible it will or won't. I'm hoping mine will not need it. The one they tested didn't have enough clearance but did headspace. Just with no clearance and I think min .005" is standard , maybe for expansion.

I also know that criterion said they would do that for free if you order it but then you go through the wait time!

I agree. This will be a huge miss if the remage barrels that everyone is already making can't be used in these actions.

I was really excited about this action... now find myself re-evaluating.

Reactions: ototallydude
Yes I do, the chamber end needs the very bottom skimmed off .010" ... I guess it's possible it will or won't. I'm hoping mine will not need it. The one they tested didn't have enough clearance but did headspace. Just with no clearance and I think min .005" is standard , maybe for expansion.

I also know that criterion said they would do that for free if you order it but then you go through the wait time!

If the action is not released yet, is everything built to final dimensions? Can they adjust the programming to put additional clearance to run with all the standard remage barrels?

I believe it is all bieng coated, so maybe not.

I'm just a guy though maybe I'll bring it up to the Mack Bros if I talk to them again.

I would call them honestly. Ask for Dale Mack. I would hate to tell you something and then be wrong. I have known them for a long time so that might help me a little.

I'm pretty sure the bolt is where the relief would come from. Don't know if that's what I'd want to relieve. I'm hoping that I get lucky with tolerance stacking and mine has at least that 5 thou clearance.

Can't say till the actions are available. I decided on this one and already have a barrel so ...... The Savage based budget actions are out for me now...... I will update.

Last edited:
Reactions: 64E
Who on the Hide is a Mack Bros dealer / distributor ?
What are the odds that someone will have one of these actions at Precision Rifle Expo ?

Who on the Hide is a Mack Bros dealer / distributor ?
What are the odds that someone will have one of these actions at Precision Rifle Expo ?
Chad at LRI. They're literally in the same parking lot.

Well it looks like they will be at least a couple weeks behind, there is a teaser landing page on their website though!!!

In a personal update I found a local gunsmith who is going to thread my criterion barrel for 50$ and let me take off the skim cut from the stub(if needed) for another 15$ I actually saved money off buying it threaded from NSS and I'll get some help with my first barrel swap anyway.

My local gunsmith tells me the remage barrels do have some variation so it is entirely possible mine won't need any material removed from the butt. I'll update when it comes in.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
I’m intently waiting on this as well. Been trying to forget about it, but damn it, June is here!

Does this have an interchangable bolt head or it's juts removable? Hard to find full specs in one place.

Does anyone have video from SHOT show of it?

I asked and if i recall correctly the bolt heads aren't interchangeable. although i did see that bolts are reasonable compared to other actions. i don't know why they wouldn't but thats what the man said.

@Buck300 we are all waiting to find out with you! (best guess is SOON) last i heard they were coming back in from coating and would be assembled and boxed up after that.

Reactions: Jeremy45
You buy direct from Mack Bros. This action is sold to consumer at the same price as a dealer. At least that is what Mack Bros told me back in February.

Iinteresting. I’m really hoping to build a custom rifle soon but a Tikka semi-custom is still way cheaper than the cheapest custom action. This would open another door for me that would be hard to turn down.

Reactions: bigwatchpilot
I'm ready to order!! 6Creed or 6.5 SAUM :unsure:

im gonna entertain myself with ordering 6.5 cleaning rod guide, new mops and jags and wait wait wait. cant make a case gauge until i can fire a round.......

Only bad thing now is I have 3 builds in mind...

.223ai
6mm Creedmoor
6.5 SAUM 4S

All 3 different bolt faces. What to do what to do?...

The long action could make a great multical setup if it came with .223 bolt face as an option. Eliseo RTM with this action would be sweet

Just saw they’re only offering Standard and Magnum right now. So it’s between 6mmCM or 6.5 SAUM 4s

Can anyone confirm the barrel tenon thread/ style? I looked for it but couldn't see it anywhere.

Remington thread but it needs 10thou taken off the end of the standard rem barrel. Probably. Because of the thicker bolt lugs (I may have that right)

Anyone complete a preorder?/backorder. I tried to just now and it won't go through. Says shipping options. I'll try to call again tomorrow , busy shop tough to get anyone

Reactions: hereinaz