• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Made a Mistake, How screwed am I?

Racinready300ex

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2010
Basicly I was using my powder dipenser and it got down to the point the tube couldn't pick up powder. I picked up the wrong jug and poured some more powder in the dispenser. I continued loading and right when I finished if got to the point the tube couldn't pick up powder again. So I poured that powder back in the 1st jug.

So long story short, I have a 7 lbs jug of 4895 with a small but unknown amount of varget in it. What do I do?

Scrape the hole jug? Will it be safe to use just don't expect good results? Or do you think it will be ok as is?

All rounds loaded that day were reloaded with the proper powder, and what was in them was thrown away.

Re: Made a Mistake, How screwed am I?

That's a tough one! I did that once and caught it. I just scooped off the top till I was satisfied I got it all. Made sure to go deep into the jug and waste plenty for safety's sake.

One powder at a time on the bench!

i would say run it

we here at the Hide don't really care for those that don't complete their profile

4985 is a bit faster than Varget; I'm no chemist but I'd probably scrap your 7 lb jug and move on. Expensive mistake, but you're not the first one who has mixed up powders.

I'm so paranoid that I keep all my powders in a seperate room and only bring the 1 jug I'm using to the reloading bench with me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4985 is a bit faster than Varget; I'm no chemist but I'd probably scrap your 7 lb jug and move on. Expensive mistake, but you're not the first one who has mixed up powders.

I'm so paranoid that I keep all my powders in a seperate room and only bring the 1 jug I'm using to the reloading bench with me. </div></div>

I ussally do the same, for some reason this time I didn't.

I was thinking the opisite of you. But, I'm not a chemist either. I was thinking if 4895 is faster with a little of the slower varget in there it would be safe to use, but probably lost some consistantcy. But, I don't know enough about it and that's why I'm asking.

I tend to agree with your line of thought.

If you don't care too much about consistency (shooting 100-200yds), go ahead and use it. And adjust the charge weight so it would be fine if it were 100% 4895, and it will then be a conservative load by weight if it were all Varget, and you will be somewhere in between.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Racinready</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Basicly I was using my powder dipenser and it got down to the point the tube couldn't pick up powder. I picked up the wrong jug and poured some more powder in the dispenser. I continued loading and right when I finished if got to the point the tube couldn't pick up powder again. So I poured that powder back in the 1st jug.

So long story short, I have a 7 lbs jug of 4895 with a small but unknown amount of varget in it. What do I do?

Scrape the hole jug? Will it be safe to use just don't expect good results? Or do you think it will be ok as is?

All rounds loaded that day were reloaded with the proper powder, and what was in them was thrown away. </div></div>

Mix it up really well every time you use it and just treat it like Racinready's Custom Blended powder.

Work up your loads and call it a day, notating that you've created a new canister powder and once it's gone, there will be no more of it.

Just start low and work up like always, mixing it up well before you use it, just to keep your OCD from flaring up.

You'll never notice it, is my bet.

Chris

It's going to depend on 2 things.

1- How anal with loading are you? If you want high-end consistency you will now NEVER know exactly what is in your cartridges. It could be none of the 'wrong' powder, it could be .2 grains or it could be half the case.

2- Is the price of not scrapping the powder worth something from #1 going off 3 inches from your face?

those powders are pretty damn close, after mixing completely I would make some cheap blaster loads, if you call the powder free you can make 2000 223's for 200$ with 55 or 62 grain bulk bullets and 23-24 grains of your var95 powder
nice light load

toss it. even if you find a fantastic load that comes from this powder mix, it can never be duplicated again.

if you can, salvage powder in the jug that you know isn't contaminated.

BOLT!

Strikes back!

Toss the powder dude. Follow good practices and learn from your mistake.

Don't know where you're from (profile) but if you live near me let me know when you're going to be shooting this blend. I feel a You Tube video coming on.
Seriously, I would not take a chance on it. But it might be worth a call to Hodgdon to see what they think. Hell, they might need a good laugh.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Toss the powder dude. Follow good practices and learn from your mistake. </div></div>

Agreed....fertilize the flowers with it, if only to stand on the principles of "better safe than sorry".

Can't believe the irresponsibility with some these suggestions.....Stupid +P.

Here's an idea, give it to some of these idiots who suggested using it....betting they'd chicken out, fast.

very small (? 150grains ) amount in 7lb's, just mix it all up in 1 container and call it good

Safety is paramount, there is nothing IMHO that is worth that kind of risk. Even if there is a small chance of something happening. In the end it is your gun and face.

Edit: the fact that you are asking this question should give you the answer that you need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Racinready</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Shake it up and shoot it.

Varget and I4895 shoot very close to each other (in my experience a Varget charge 4-5% larger than a I4895 load shoot the same in a 308). Now take the little bit and figure what change it will be in a 7lb jug.

The change will be less than a lot-to lot change when a pristine 8lb'er is replaced.

130 ish grains mixed into 49,000 grains

Would take 490 to make 1%

Your at like .025% of a Very close powder. Shake it and roll on, Safe is one thing, tossing that powder is nuts. If you do, make a Bubble Wrap Suit for when you go outside.

Use it, toss it, or pick out the offending grains with a pair of tweezers (yes I know someone who did this). Your call.

I'd shake it up and use it. As long as you aren't one of those 46 grains of varget behind a 175 is a mild load types you should be fine.

I have looked at 3 loading manuals and in every case the max load for I4895 is less (2 grains) than the max load for Varget (168/165 .308). I cant see how you could possibly get into trouble by loading to 4895 specs. I never saw in the thread if the 4895 is H or IMR so go to your manual and do the same comparison with the powder you have. If you are comfortable with the logic shake it up and load it. I bet you will never know the difference.

Look at it as a neat oportunity to make a reactionary target in a remote location.
Get an old refrigerator.
Mix up one gallon of tannerite (Pack it tight into the container)
fill a one gallon can or jug with gasoline
your container of mixed gun powder

Set all of these containers inside of the old refrigerator
shut the door
Make sure that you paint a spot on the refrigerator that will line up with the tannerite when you shoot it from the bench.
Make sure you and your party are atleast 200 yards away and under cover if you can or wear helmets and try to dodge the sheetmetal if it comes flying your way
laugh.gif
Add more gasoline if you want a larger flame ball. Just don't try this during dry weather due to causing a fire that could make you famous in the wrong way.
Film it for us to enjoy.
... SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Toss the powder dude. Follow good practices and learn from your mistake. </div></div>

Agreed....fertilize the flowers with it, if only to stand on the principles of "better safe than sorry".

Here's an idea, give it to some of these idiots who suggested using it....betting they'd chicken out, fast. </div></div>
yea I would chicken out fast, right after I shot the last of the 2000 rds which would not be long if I was given the powder

You do know that if you mix it and shoot it you will immediately get sub 1/4moa groups which you will never be able to duplicate. Do you want to take the chance that you will end up trying to mix it again and blow up?
I am not sure I would even be comfortable mixing IMR4895 and H4895.

Jim

ok so you dont feel alone in stupidville when i started loading i substituted imr4895 for h4895 for my 308 i lived.gun shot bad groups and i learned.hell i needed a load for my 243 95gr bergers and used 44grn ramshot hunter instead of 44grn of 4350 and it shoots just fine.these are my results DO NOT USE THEM.so the moral is yes you will probly be safe but its your dicision proceed with caution!!!!!

I say don't take the chance of hurting the shooter next you. Toss it out and know that no one got hurt over a stupid mistake.

I used to make duplex loads. If I put the the "slow" powder (like your Varget) against the primer the load acted like the "slow" powder. If the "fast" powder (like your 4895) was against the primer, it produced higher velocity than either of the others.

I would shake the cansiter several minutes and use it.

This is for a bolt gun, right? Nothing weird like m1a or m1 pressure curves to worry you even more, right? I think both those powders are used for those guns and maybe it would not even be an issue there....

If it were me, I'd be working up a light load with that "new" powder for practicing offhand or other position at 100-300 yds and wouldn't lose a seconds sleep about it.

wait till the 4th of July, pour a line down your driveway and light it up! Ive done it a couple of times...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Racinready</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Basicly I was using my powder dipenser and it got down to the point the tube couldn't pick up powder. I picked up the wrong jug and poured some more powder in the dispenser. I continued loading and right when I finished if got to the point the tube couldn't pick up powder again. So I poured that powder back in the 1st jug.

All rounds loaded that day were reloaded with the proper powder, and what was in them was thrown away. </div></div>

Did the same/similar thing with a one lb container of H1000 and a small amount of RE-25. I labeled the container as CONTAMINATED in a very noticeable way and stuck a note on it describing the incident... Not sure what I'll end up doing with it, but have some time to think about it. Maybe mix it up good and work up a light load with some cheap bullets for offhand practice. The burn rates are very close anyway.

Your'e not the only one... but at least I filled out my profile
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Here's an idea, give it to some of these idiots who suggested using it....betting they'd chicken out, fast. </div></div>

Elmer Keith used to load his 44 cal carts with a triplex combination.

The OP's not mixing VV N-110 with Retumbo.

It's serviceable, if he starts low and works up.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at it as a neat oportunity to make a reactionary target in a remote location.
Get an old refrigerator.

shut the door
Make sure that you paint a spot on the refrigerator that will line up with the tannerite when you shoot it from the bench.
Make sure you and your party are atleast 200 yards away and under cover if you can or wear helmets and try to dodge the sheetmetal if it comes flying your way
laugh.gif
Add more gasoline if you want a larger flame ball. Just don't try this during dry weather due to causing a fire that could make you famous in the wrong way.
Film it for us to enjoy.
... SmokeRolls
</div></div>

I assume you're joking around, but just incase others can't detect sarcasm via the internet, I'll add a little story with a moral at the end of it.

Had a buddy that actually tried something similar... with an old dryer, lots more tannerite, and less of the other two ingredients.

Turned out to be a really BAD idea... and 300 yards was not far enough away. They were lucky (as in no serious injuries and only minor damage to equipment). The video that was planned for a You Tube dissappeared, never to resurface. They were just lucky that no one was killed.

Moral... don't be THAT GUY.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TikkaSporter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at it as a neat oportunity to make a reactionary target in a remote location.
Get an old refrigerator.

shut the door
laugh.gif
Film it for us to enjoy.
... SmokeRolls
</div></div>

I assume you're joking around, but just incase others can't detect sarcasm via the internet, I'll add a little story with a moral at the end of it.

Had a buddy that actually tried something similar... with an old dryer, lots more tannerite, and less of the other two ingredients.

Turned out to be a really BAD idea... and 300 yards was not far enough away. They were lucky (as in no serious injuries and only minor damage to equipment). The video that was planned for a You Tube dissappeared, never to resurface. They were just lucky that no one was killed.

Moral... don't be THAT GUY.</div></div>
I wasn't joking at all. I WAS adding a little humor and a touch sarcasm to it though (I.E. having helmets on and running around trying to dodge the shrapnel)
laugh.gif

We have done things similar and this goes off without a hitch as long as you take the proper precautions.
If your buddy used WAY more tannerite than I specified, then that explains the problem that he created.
With a greater amount of explosive, you need to increase the distance from the explosive.
Do you know how much tannerite he used?
Having a safe area in a remote area that has no chance of catching on fire is essential.
Explosions / pyrotechnics are safe as long as they are conducted in a safe area and you take the proper precautions and are at a safe distance from them.
A little bang and some sheetmetal flying is cool to see as long as you are no-where near the fall out.
....SmokeRolls

Mix it well, back off 10% and rework the load to confirm performance, just as if you were working with a new lot of IMR-4895. I don't trust lots to be identical lot to lot, and neither should you.

If the additive were faster than IMR-4895, I'd give the same advice, except I'd back off more than 10%.

I wish more folks who throw away 8lb jugs of powder lived nearer to me, and threw them my way. However, you may also find that the difference is so small, it's not much of an issue. But do the workup anyway.

As far as not being able to duplicate the load goes, so what? It's no different from the scenario where you decide to change powders. Start low, watch pressure signs, and adjust for accuracy. Done deal...

Also, I don't know how your measure works, but when mine gets near empty, charge weights become significantly inconsistent. I make it a conscientious point replenish the powder when the level drops to around halfway.

...And finally; never, never, never, ever, ever, ever have more than one container of powder available within reach when running the press. <span style="font-style: italic">This</span> is why.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mix it well, back off 10% and rework the load to confirm performance, just as if you were working with a new lot of IMR-4895. I don't trust lots to be identical lot to lot, and neither should you

...And finally; never, never, never, ever, ever, ever have more than one container of powder available within reach when running the press. <span style="font-style: italic">This</span> is why.

Greg </div></div>

Amen!!!

This aint "fucking voodoo magic" its a simple smokeless propellant and what you've made is a mix of very close powders as is and even that in a "ridiculous" ratio. Shake, do some startup tests and be done with it...

I think most of us reloaders have done this, one time or another.
If you haven't mixed it yet I would try to get as much off the top then just mix it up and use it.
What I now do when reloading is, place a strip of blue painters tape on the lid of the powder that I have in my dispenser. When I change powers, I grab the strip of tape and put it on the next jug that is in service.
The key to reloading is getting into good routines.
SScott

It all depends on just how much Varget you think you mixed in. If the amount is as small as some are suggesting I'd mix it in well, back off you loads to a very mild load and test a few rounds.

Racin, just shake it up really good. Won't make a penny's worth a damned difference. Worry about wind or some other variable. Seriously.

If you scrap it, I want it. ;))

I would be more worried about remembering which ammo I had loaded with the wrong powder and the same charge.

As far as you mixing a few grains of Varget with 4895 I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it was on a 1:1 basis. If your real worried go buy another 8# of 4895 and mix them all together and dilute it even further.

Rebel: Good one and having extra powder never hurt anyone....